PDA

View Full Version : Are we setting our expectations too high?

Mangar The Dark
24th Jun 2006, 17:35
I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about AE. This is a game that has to be released in a few months (3 or 4, most likely, if they're planning to really make it a 10 Year Anniversary package), and yet Eidos has said next to nothing about it. Don't you think Eidos would be hyping it up a bit more if it was going to be as awesome as some of us seem to expect it to be? With every other TR game, we've gotten loads of info at least a year in advance. Now, I'm not saying they should OVER hype it (look what happened with AOD...), but there's something fishy about them not saying anything. By now, they ought to at least tell us what it's going to be in some specific terms, unless they don't feel it's really worth mentioning because it isn't going to be anything remarkable.

kksmith
25th Jun 2006, 03:40
I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about AE. This is a game that has to be released in a few months (3 or 4, most likely, if they're planning to really make it a 10 Year Anniversary package), and yet Eidos has said next to nothing about it. Don't you think Eidos would be hyping it up a bit more if it was going to be as awesome as some of us seem to expect it to be? With every other TR game, we've gotten loads of info at least a year in advance. Now, I'm not saying they should OVER hype it (look what happened with AOD...), but there's something fishy about them not saying anything. By now, they ought to at least tell us what it's going to be in some specific terms, unless they don't feel it's really worth mentioning because it isn't going to be anything remarkable.

Not necessarily. I don't even think they wanted to announce it yet, but the leaked Core video sort of forced their hand. So they probably didn't have any kind of marketing campaign in place yet.

I imagine they wanted to keep it as somewhat of a surprise until just before release, but who knows.

aussie500
25th Jun 2006, 03:52
Well the game is most likely not going to be released until November, so l am not really expecting to hear any more about it till September or later. Although some clarification on Eidos's part as to whether it is going to be a remake of the original game, a redux, a complete reinterpretation or something completely new, would be nice. Many seem to think it is going to be a hodge podge of the best levels from the Core games, but l really do not see that happening

susan
25th Jun 2006, 08:45
My expectations are not that high really. I'm looking forward to seeing it and playing it, of course, but this is a remake at the end of the day. I've played TR1 too many times already.

Unless they completely change everything to keep it fresh for everybody, but that wouldn't be a proper remake. That'd be an "inspired by TR1" new game.

@Mangar - they may be waiting for the promotional cycle of all Legend's releases to be completed before beginning the hype on TR1 AE.

Otherwise it could confuse customers. They'll want to be clear that there are 2 distinct games so that us TR-drones know to buy both... ;) There are other good reasons for having reasonably discrete campaigns too.

Now that Legend has been released the PSP (I think there's only GameCube left), we may start hearing some AE details...

dufflover
25th Jun 2006, 08:46
This could've gone into any thread but since we're talking hype/releases here...

I don't think the whole November/10th Anniversary is that strict :p . It is concerning to not even have any screenshots or confirmed release date yet though.

Joshorty
25th Jun 2006, 16:04
I get watcha mean by "the over hype" 'cause I had that over hype on LEGEND yet it was great;) but wasn't the groundbreakin' great kinda game. As for the 10th Anniversary edition, I suppose it was kept to be a suprise. You can't expect companies to always give you information right away. Some things are just never meant to be told until the right time:rolleyes: as for CORE, I respect that leaked video...

officerpuppy
25th Jun 2006, 19:12
Maybe it will let you play as the orginal TR1 Lara as a cheat or hidden skin:rasp:

digifan
25th Jun 2006, 19:48
Frankly I am looking forward to what Eidos had install for our favoiite video game queen but I don't think we will see anything official for quite some time to come. Remember when Legend was reveal to the public? It was back in late June last year. Demos for Legend didn't start to show up until late January with the full versions available for retail by April. I think we can expect the same type of timeline for the 10th anniversary. I think we will see screen shots and trailers starting to show up by September with demos in November and full versions not available until early spring next year. It take a great deal of time to develop a game, working out the bugs and promoting it.

Sophia Leigh
26th Jun 2006, 01:15

I think you're right Mangar, look at all the hype we had with Legend, well over a years worth.

@ digifan, it was quite a while earlier than that, the topics in the Legend forum start from April last year, and heres some "hype" from 2004 http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45144

uzigirl
26th Jun 2006, 07:11
Well considering the video was leaked I presume Eidos had a date set to give out all the necessary info to fans/media. I personally don't want to see too much info because too much does hamper it all. I like to thrive on imagination and have 'a wonder' about a new game. :D

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2006, 12:43
I think we will see screen shots and trailers starting to show up by September with demos in November and full versions not available until early spring next year. It take a great deal of time to develop a game, working out the bugs and promoting it.

But this is supposed to be a 10 year anniversary, meaning it has to come out THIS year (next year it would be the "11 Year Anniversary Edition," which doesn't sound quite right!) That's the problem-- the game has to be released this fall, but we've heard practically nothing about it, which makes me suspicious. Oh well, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Big Raider
28th Jun 2006, 19:16
Just a thought, but maybe they have been working on the Anniversary Edition for awhile. Maybe this is why Toby Gard was brought onboard.

Mangar The Dark
28th Jun 2006, 19:47
Just a thought, but maybe they have been working on the Anniversary Edition for awhile. Maybe this is why Toby Gard was brought onboard.

Possibly. But I still think it's odd that they haven't revealed anything about it yet. From a marketing standpoint, it just doesn't make much sense to not release any information about a game that is coming out in a few months. I can understand they may not want to release specific details, but some screenshots or a description as to what the game will be would make sense. As it stands now, we're really just working purely on assumptions. For all we know, they may just be rereleasing the original game, and including an unlockable "updated" level.

yesrushdt
28th Jun 2006, 19:50
Remember when Legend was reveal to the public? It was back in late June last year. Demos for Legend didn't start to show up until late January with the full versions available for retail by April.

Actually TRL was revealed to the public April of last year.

I hope TRAE will include the entire TR1, but several sites seem to be refering to it as an "Adventure Compilation". Who knows, it could include the first two games in the series, but if I had to guess it will be limited to select levels. As much as the producers at Crystal Dynamics complained about the earlier games in the series (backtracking and whatnot), it wouldn't surprise me if they picked out a number of shorter levels to recreate.

It would be nice if Eidos/CD put an end to all this rumor/speculation and gave us some details about what exactly TRAE will consist of.

kksmith
28th Jun 2006, 20:29
Actually TRL was revealed to the public April of last year.

I hope TRAE will include the entire TR1, but several sites seem to be refering to it as an "Adventure Compilation". Who knows, it could include the first two games in the series, but if I had to guess it will be limited to select levels. As much as the producers at Crystal Dynamics complained about the earlier games in the series (backtracking and whatnot), it wouldn't surprise me if they picked out a number of shorter levels to recreate.

It would be nice if Eidos/CD put an end to all this rumor/speculation and gave us some details about what exactly TRAE will consist of.

Well the idea is the levels would have new puzzles and they could easily eliminate the total amount of back-tracking needed. They wouldn't be *exactly* the same, just similar and in the same places.

yesrushdt
28th Jun 2006, 23:28
Well the idea is the levels would have new puzzles and they could easily eliminate the total amount of back-tracking needed. They wouldn't be *exactly* the same, just similar and in the same places.

That's your idea and pure speculation no doubt. Doing this though would definitely dumb down the game and take away from the exploration aspects that made the originals so great.

kksmith
29th Jun 2006, 02:33
That's your idea and pure speculation no doubt. Doing this though would definitely dumb down the game and take away from the exploration aspects that made the originals so great.

Well that's basically what a remake is. What is the point in doing it if everything is identical except the graphics?

Besides, if they change the controls alone, they *have* to change the level layouts, and most likely the puzzles from there. So yeah :P

Mangar The Dark
29th Jun 2006, 13:47
If they use Legend's engine, I wonder if Lara can have an inventory? If she can't, it will eliminate the possibility of many puzzles (the cogs in The Lost Valley come to mind immediately.)

kksmith
29th Jun 2006, 16:47
If they use Legend's engine, I wonder if Lara can have an inventory? If she can't, it will eliminate the possibility of many puzzles (the cogs in The Lost Valley come to mind immediately.)

Yeah she can. Something like an inventory would be a very easy thing to program in. The only thing an engine will really limit you on is stuff like graphics and movement (how physics are handled, etc) I think (unless I'm forgetting something). But an inventory is just a fancy storage device. All they need to do is some minor programming there and a GUI for it. Done :P

Technically she already has an inventory in Legend anyways. It's just a limited one. She can hold one additional gun, four grenades, and three medkits. That's an inventory :) I suppose the PDA, PLS and Grapple can be considered inventory as well since you don't start with them in Croft Manor.

dufflover
30th Jun 2006, 13:54
Why are you so fixated on the 10th Anniversary date...fine, so it'll technically be 11th anniversary, they won't care :p .

However, if it's not out then, I would expect at least screenshots and official date to be out by then.
Games being announced early is the standard thing. I mean look at E3.

kksmith
30th Jun 2006, 14:28
Why are you so fixated on the 10th Anniversary date...fine, so it'll technically be 11th anniversary, they won't care :p .

However, if it's not out then, I would expect at least screenshots and official date to be out by then.
Games being announced early is the standard thing. I mean look at E3.

If it's 11th Anniversary that completely defeats the point. Eidos might as well just call it "Tomb Raider Remake" or something. The idea is they are celebrating the anniversary with this new game. If they are late, people will complain. You also lose a lot of the "anniversary" appeal which drives up sales.

Mangar The Dark
30th Jun 2006, 16:03
Why are you so fixated on the 10th Anniversary date...

Ummmm... maybe because that's the title of it?
That's like if they decided to call the second Tomb Raider game, "Tomb Raider 3." Wouldn't make much sense, would it?

burt_ie
30th Jun 2006, 23:06
I really hope that CD dont make the game as easy as Legend.
I really liked the look of the Core AE as it seemed to capture a bit of the sparkle from TR1

aussie500
1st Jul 2006, 00:31
Crystal Dynamics want to entice more new players to play Tomb Raider so it is still going to still be easy, although hopefully not as easy as Legend. l also do not think we will see a single screen until the game is almost finished, and they are sure what will be in. Considering the reaction they got when Legend was released and people realised some scenes they had been shown were not in the game, they will make sure this time, what we see will be in the finished game

susan
1st Jul 2006, 08:04
I really hope that CD dont make the game as easy as Legend.
I really liked the look of the Core AE as it seemed to capture a bit of the sparkle from TR1Yeah Legend was too easy by far for me too. It's not just a case of adding the occasional difficult bit either...the whole thing needs an element of complication that was completely lacking in Legend. :cool:

shirl123
1st Jul 2006, 08:53
Ummmm... maybe because that's the title of it?
That's like if they decided to call the second Tomb Raider game, "Tomb Raider 3." Wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I hate to break this to you, but ever heard of the Leisure Suit Larry series? [I'm pretty sure you did...but you get the point].
anyway, there's no 4th game. the 4th game of that series is LSL 5. pretty stupid, but hey, it happend :nut:

anyway, yes. AE should be released on Nov. if the release date was sometime in 2007, then they should've named it "the TR1 remake" or something like that, instead of "the 10th anniversary edition". :nut:

midroth
1st Jul 2006, 10:16
Shalom,

funny idea. :D I can hear the "faster, faster!". Glitchy? Forget it, we have a date!

shirl123
1st Jul 2006, 10:46
Shalom,

funny idea. :D I can hear the "faster, faster!". Glitchy? Forget it, we have a date!

lmao!

unfortunatly that happend with CnC's The First Decade. it was released on time, but it could've been released a bit later. I mean, it's called "The First Decade", not "the 10th anniversary".
the idea of ALL games in the series in 1 pack is just lovely, but too bad those guys at EA didn't take care of the bugs and such. oh yeah, they didn't let you choose what to install, you have to install the entire pack [10GB]. :mad2:
anyway, back to the topic. don't you just wonder *when* CD started working on AE? :scratch:

Shalom and "Ahar Hazohoraim Tovim" [=good after-noon] to you too ;)

dufflover
1st Jul 2006, 10:49
I'm just making the point that I wouldn't want something that's absolute crap coming out just to satisfy the "10th Anniversary" name.

shirl123
1st Jul 2006, 11:05
I'm just making the point that I wouldn't want something that's absolute crap coming out just to satisfy the "10th Anniversary" name.

you're right, but in that case they should've called it in a diffrent name.
but then again, it depends WHEN CD started working on AE...

however, this brings up some questions about the future TR8. how long will CD work on it? when will it be released [since I've heard once that the original plan was on late 2007]? I mean, if now their resources and efforts are put on TR:AE...
we deserve a perfect game, not less then that!

midroth
1st Jul 2006, 11:35
we deserve a perfect game, not less then that!Yes, we do! But they..maybe just easy money...

dufflover
1st Jul 2006, 11:43
Well the lack of news/screenshots makes me worried that if it was coming out for 10th Anniversary it'll suck. Bringing out a perfect game without the usual demo or even screenshots is...nice..., but after like a week or two no one cares that there was no pre-release info. (ie. there is just not much gain to do it)

digifan
3rd Aug 2006, 16:40
Well the lack of news/screenshots makes me worried that if it was coming out for 10th Anniversary it'll suck. Bringing out a perfect game without the usual demo or even screenshots is...nice..., but after like a week or two no one cares that there was no pre-release info. (ie. there is just not much gain to do it)

I've heard this before. When Tomb Raider - the Prophecy for the GBA came out, there were no fanfare around it either. I spotted and brought the game when I saw it in EB Games. This game was simple but it went back to the roots of Tomb Raider - Exploring tombs. I don't recall many fanfare around Chronicles either but there were some hype around Last Revealation featuring a teenage Lara. I think Eidos is taking the same route with the 10th anniversary game. NTL we just have to wait and see.