PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Video Card

illyB
18th Jun 2006, 17:14
I have been having alot of CTD and freezes while playing the game for more then 20 min at a time. After taking the side of my cpu, i could feel the heat coming off the card, and it was way to hot to touch. Im running a Geforce 6800 GT, and i have all the video settings in the game set to low, but i still get over heating and crashing.

Anyone know what i can do to stop this game from frying my computer ?!?

sonyack
18th Jun 2006, 20:17
I have a plain old 6800 128 mb, and when I had the pc version [long story], I had no problems. So I think that it is just because there is a lot of gunk on the vid card fan and on your cpu fan. So get some Qtips and a vacuum cleaner and clean the fan blades from both items. And also, try playing it with the fan case open. Also, I did not turn down anything, I used 1280x1024 and the default settings, even upped the shadows. So I think if this is heat, and it looks like it, it's as I said previously.

Quillan
19th Jun 2006, 03:51
Try this. (I'm assuming you're running Windows XP with the latest nVidia drivers for your card. The steps might not be exactly the same if you aren't.)
Run the game for a little bit to get the video card heated up, but end the game before you get a crash. As soon as you exit the game, right click on the desktop, and select "NVIDIA Display". Mine only gives you one option from there: "ProView/EMC/PTS Analog Display" (I do have a CRT monitor, so again it might be different if you're running an LCD). This opens the driver controls for your video card. If you don't have the box off to the side now, click on the arrow on the left side to open it. There should be a heading there for your card, which should read 6800 GT since that's what you have. Under that, there will be a line "Temperature settings". Click that and see what your core GPU and ambient temps are. These cards run rather hot. I've got a 6800 GS that's been softmodded into a 6800 Ultra, and 55 C is my usual idle temperature. In games it's normally mid 60s, and a few have gone higher. The highest I've seen to date was 75 C in F.E.A.R., and the slowdown temperature isn't until 120 C. However, even running at safe temps like these, if I reach in and touch the back of the video card, it'll scorch my fingertips (60C is 140F, the temperature water has to be to kill germs. Anything above that is scalding.)

BrandonB
19th Jun 2006, 11:22
I have been having alot of CTD and freezes while playing the game for more then 20 min at a time. After taking the side of my cpu, i could feel the heat coming off the card, and it was way to hot to touch. Im running a Geforce 6800 GT, and i have all the video settings in the game set to low, but i still get over heating and crashing.

Anyone know what i can do to stop this game from frying my computer ?!?

Then your GPU is overheating, I recommend getting a new heatsink and fan for it. Also a CPU is only ONE component in a computer, the whole thing is not just a CPU, CPU doesn't stand for hard drive motherboard graphics card sound card optical drives etc, it stands for central processing unit. Its just ONE component. Just sayin, get it right. That **** bothers the hell out of me lol.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40 That will work on your card, dont install it your self though, get someone else to do it.

sonyack
19th Jun 2006, 12:43
Well, I mentioned the cpu heat sink/fan gunk because where are you with a cpu overheating? Friend of mine calls me up and says his computer shuts off after playing a game for a few minutes. I go over and look at his gpu and cpu. The gpu fan blades were somewhat gunky but not too bad, but the cpu fan blades were loaded with crap and the cpu heatsink had so much dust that there was maybe, maybe, a hole about the size of a dime that air could blow through. As soon as we cleaned that up, voila, no more shutdown problems.

So it really isn't always about the gpu. And it saves time and aggravation to check out this link in the cooling chain, and couldn't hurt in any case. Of course, there is the airflow issue as well. And cards that do well in winter, when the ambient room temps are lower, can not do well in summer when the room temps are higher - I've seen that, too. And is the gpu fan even working? And so on.

BrandonB
19th Jun 2006, 16:56
Well, I mentioned the cpu heat sink/fan gunk because where are you with a cpu overheating? Friend of mine calls me up and says his computer shuts off after playing a game for a few minutes. I go over and look at his gpu and cpu. The gpu fan blades were somewhat gunky but not too bad, but the cpu fan blades were loaded with crap and the cpu heatsink had so much dust that there was maybe, maybe, a hole about the size of a dime that air could blow through. As soon as we cleaned that up, voila, no more shutdown problems.

So it really isn't always about the gpu. And it saves time and aggravation to check out this link in the cooling chain, and couldn't hurt in any case. Of course, there is the airflow issue as well. And cards that do well in winter, when the ambient room temps are lower, can not do well in summer when the room temps are higher - I've seen that, too. And is the gpu fan even working? And so on.

True, with some computers that can be the case (fan not doing its job and that kinda thing).

illyB
26th Jun 2006, 04:51
Thanks to everyone that helped out- my card isnt running hot anymore, and i can run the game at full graphics-looks amazing!

And you were correct Quillan, i checked my temps and can now monitor how hot im running, and when to take a break, thanks alot!:thumbsup:

*agent47*
28th Jun 2006, 13:49
just put it in the freezer overnight. works like charm.

fit it back in ur pc and play hitman. will work for 24hours without overheating.

-------

dont really try this, only i do this kind of stuff!!!