PDA

View Full Version : New Graphic card or New Motherboard?

BlueBoldHitman
18th Jun 2006, 01:42
I finaly gave in and ordered a Geforce 7800 GS AGP recently...anyways I was thinking though, spending around 330$ plus shipping and etc for an AGP graphic card, couldn't you buy a new PCI-express motherboard and a Good PCI-express graphic card? I'm realy regreting what I have already done...:mad2:

I really didnt wanted to throw away my asus P4C800 e-deluxe motherboard. It has been the greatest motherboard for me...and not so cheap of its time either.

you guys think i made a good or bad choice?

iLLuzi0n
18th Jun 2006, 02:19
It depends what CPU u have really as there is a PCI-E motherboard that supports some P4 chips and DDR - Asus P4GPL-X

My system is pretty good as far as older generation systems go;

3.2 P4 Extreme Edition*
1GB Corsair XMS 3200*
Abit IC7
Gainward 5900 Golden Sample (tho i have borrowed my bro's x800 pro for hitman :-D)
Terratec DMX 6Fire
Many other bits
*Can be overclocked to buggery with a big fan blowing into my case lol.

When it comes to performance numbers, bar the FX-5x's, FX-6x's and the upper range dual cores my system is still up there with the medium high machines - forcing a standpoint against the PCI-E fanboys who say 'if u have an AGP system it will suck...etc...etc'

After looking around for a VERY long time for a decent price/performance AGP card, under the assumtion that the only P4 PCI-E boards were now fabled rare items, i found that AGP customers are being ripped off badly. The best price/performance AGP cards by FAR are the x800/x850 range. Forget NV6600 (same price range and despite its SM3.0 support and HD......it will chug with HD) an x800 will wipe the floor with it, i know ive tested both quite thoroughly. The NV7xxx series of AGP cards are cut down botch jobs. Sure, u can get the Gainward mega mega 7900GT 512MB blah blah.....but its £350! Also an AGP x800 pro costs £110, a PCI-E version £80..........

Anyhow, back to the point. Now i found out this board model i think i will bite the bullet and go PCI-E, purely because what i spend on a board i save on the card and it should give me 1 more gfx upgrade before i need to overhaul my whole system again.

Maybe you should consider sending the card back unused and getting a refund?

BlueBoldHitman
18th Jun 2006, 02:48
It depends what CPU u have really as there is a PCI-E motherboard that supports some P4 chips and DDR - Asus P4GPL-X

My system is pretty good as far as older generation systems go;

3.2 P4 Extreme Edition*
1GB Corsair XMS 3200*
Abit IC7
Gainward 5900 Golden Sample (tho i have borrowed my bro's x800 pro for hitman :-D)
Terratec DMX 6Fire
Many other bits
*Can be overclocked to buggery with a big fan blowing into my case lol.

When it comes to performance numbers, bar the FX-5x's, FX-6x's and the upper range dual cores my system is still up there with the medium high machines - forcing a standpoint against the PCI-E fanboys who say 'if u have an AGP system it will suck...etc...etc'

After looking around for a VERY long time for a decent price/performance AGP card, under the assumtion that the only P4 PCI-E boards were now fabled rare items, i found that AGP customers are being ripped off badly. The best price/performance AGP cards by FAR are the x800/x850 range. Forget NV6600 (same price range and despite its SM3.0 support and HD......it will chug with HD) an x800 will wipe the floor with it, i know ive tested both quite thoroughly. The NV7xxx series of AGP cards are cut down botch jobs. Sure, u can get the Gainward mega mega 7900GT 512MB blah blah.....but its £350! Also an AGP x800 pro costs £110, a PCI-E version £80..........

Anyhow, back to the point. Now i found out this board model i think i will bite the bullet and go PCI-E, purely because what i spend on a board i save on the card and it should give me 1 more gfx upgrade before i need to overhaul my whole system again.

Maybe you should consider sending the card back unused and getting a refund?

Well, I have put down a lot of thoughts before deciding to go with a High-end AGP card like NV 7800 GS. See, If I buy a new PCI-E motherboard, I will have to throw away my $130 asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard. In that case I will have a minus $130 by now...buying a decent PCI-E card will cost another $180 and yet buying a new PCI-E motherboard will cost another $120. Finaly adding them all I will be spending around $430 (not mentioning throwing my Nvidia 5600 256 MB that cost $40). I think I should also mention the risk that I will be taking if some of my other hardware could not be compatible with my new PCI-E motherboard and etc...All and all, lets say I bought a new PCI-E motherboard/card then should I throw away that motherboard/card 3 years from now agian and buy a new motherboard? I think I will loose a lot of money.:( I figured it will be alot better to spend $330 and buy a high end AGP card then 3 years from now just build a new system hopefuly.

thanks a bunch for your advice.

agian do you think it makes sense?

Quillan
18th Jun 2006, 04:41
Here's my thought, and I went through the exact same thing just a few months ago. Do I buy a PCI-E motherboard and a new video card, or do I just buy a better AGP card? From a practical standpoint, there's little difference in performance between the AGP and PCI-E variants of the same card. The AGP card will probably be slightly more expensive. I already had a good motherboard, processor and memory, so I didn't really need to upgrade that. What I wound up figuring was that I didn't need to upgrade the motherboard/processor right now, and the new video card would last me until I needed to rebuild the computer. I've got a Socket 939 motherboard, though, so I've got an upgrade path for the CPU for another year or more. You, on the other hand, have a Socket 478 for Pentium 4 motherboard. You probably cannot upgrade the CPU at all, unless you happen to find some existing stocks someplace. So, how soon do you plan on redoing the computer? If it's going to be 2 years in the future, the video card is fine. If it's going to be 6 months from now, you wasted some money.

BlueBoldHitman
19th Jun 2006, 00:46
Here's my thought, and I went through the exact same thing just a few months ago. Do I buy a PCI-E motherboard and a new video card, or do I just buy a better AGP card? From a practical standpoint, there's little difference in performance between the AGP and PCI-E variants of the same card. The AGP card will probably be slightly more expensive. I already had a good motherboard, processor and memory, so I didn't really need to upgrade that. What I wound up figuring was that I didn't need to upgrade the motherboard/processor right now, and the new video card would last me until I needed to rebuild the computer. I've got a Socket 939 motherboard, though, so I've got an upgrade path for the CPU for another year or more. You, on the other hand, have a Socket 478 for Pentium 4 motherboard. You probably cannot upgrade the CPU at all, unless you happen to find some existing stocks someplace. So, how soon do you plan on redoing the computer? If it's going to be 2 years in the future, the video card is fine. If it's going to be 6 months from now, you wasted some money.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad that now I know I made a wise choice. To answer your question, yes I'm planing to redo my computer in at least 2-3 years from now.

I was just wondering though is this Geforce 7800 GS that I have already ordered worth it? and what kind of AGP card did you buy?

BrandonB
19th Jun 2006, 01:11
Well, I have put down a lot of thoughts before deciding to go with a High-end AGP card like NV 7800 GS. See, If I buy a new PCI-E motherboard, I will have to throw away my $130 asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard. In that case I will have a minus $130 by now...buying a decent PCI-E card will cost another $180 and yet buying a new PCI-E motherboard will cost another $120. Finaly adding them all I will be spending around $430 (not mentioning throwing my Nvidia 5600 256 MB that cost $40). I think I should also mention the risk that I will be taking if some of my other hardware could not be compatible with my new PCI-E motherboard and etc...All and all, lets say I bought a new PCI-E motherboard/card then should I throw away that motherboard/card 3 years from now agian and buy a new motherboard? I think I will loose a lot of money.:( I figured it will be alot better to spend $330 and buy a high end AGP card then 3 years from now just build a new system hopefuly.

thanks a bunch for your advice.

agian do you think it makes sense?

Why dont you just sell your old parts, thats what I do when I upgrade and I only lose a few bucks. What is I sell my core parts (CPU, Motherboard, RAM all in a bundle on ebay and graphics card seperatly if I need to sell that too) then buy new core parts and I take about 50 - 100 bucks hit (not as bad as it would be if I didn't sell my parts).

Quillan
19th Jun 2006, 03:42
I was just wondering ... what kind of AGP card did you buy?

Well, I got this one just before the 7800 GS came out (figures), but I got an eVga 6800 GS Superclocked. It runs at the same clock speeds as the 6800 Ultra did, and I was able to unlock the pipelines that were locked down. Effectively, I got a 6800 Ultra for $225. It'll hold me for a bit. :)

BlueBoldHitman
19th Jun 2006, 20:57
This new card of mine rocks man. I can play the game in almost the highest resolution of 1600x950...it cant go higher than that:nut: WOW! but I'm still thinking is it worth all that money?

BrandonB
19th Jun 2006, 21:48
This new card of mine rocks man. I can play the game in almost the highest resolution of 1600x950...it cant go higher than that:nut: WOW! but I'm still thinking is it worth all that money?

1600x950 is a widescreen resolution I think, you have a widescreen monitor?

BlueBoldHitman
20th Jun 2006, 06:21
1600x950 is a widescreen resolution I think, you have a widescreen monitor?

I dont know man if higher resolution counts as quality. Anyways I got an old monitor...not flat, I got CRT from a few years back. I heard CRT monitors are best for gaming. So what you think is the best for quality?

BrandonB
20th Jun 2006, 06:58
I dont know man if higher resolution counts as quality. Anyways I got an old monitor...not flat, I got CRT from a few years back. I heard CRT monitors are best for gaming. So what you think is the best for quality?

I have been using LCD's for a while, only reason CRT's might be better is because ghosting is non existant (I think) on CRT's. I have a Samsung 204B and I never notice any ghosting or tearing, and it goes up to 1600x1200 resolution. Best LCD I have ever used, and deffinatly the best for gaming.