PDA

View Full Version : These grapple points are not working (Sea Serpent Troubles)

UrbanShark
8th Apr 2006, 20:10
I need help please when you are fighting the sea monster. I shoot the bells to distract the monster but I get to the last one and I pull the lever the cage gets stuck and won't drop on the monster. Is this a bug in the game as some people have reported or am I doing something wrong? :)

Skydivekoekerd
13th Apr 2006, 04:58
Same problem here. In my situation(xbox-version) it's the second cage of the left which gets stuck.
If you can find a way to solve this problem, let me know.

Ablefisch
13th Apr 2006, 15:51
Same problem on XBox, far left from shore. Is there something we're not doing? I'm pretty sure that I used the grapple on it when I first entered the scene, and sure it worked then, but not since...Buggy?

KellyKMc
20th May 2006, 20:30
:mad2: The same problem with the same bell that everyone else is having difficulty with. You snag the lever ane pull it but the cage does not drop.

One forum suggested I start the game over.... I don't think that should be required.

BTW - is there a cheat code that allows you to up your health packs?

Chicagoboy
21st May 2006, 18:06
I am stuck at that boss, too!! I can't even get one cage to drop! any hints? Is there a cheat out there?
help!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

ShirleyC
21st May 2006, 18:11
Chicagoboy, if you're on a computer:
Have Lara run with guns drawn to the farthest cage on the right. Start shooting at the bell when it becomes targeted. Shoot until it becomes loud (changes color for a second), and the snake turns to look at the bell. PUT away guns, Use grapple to grab cage, Use action key to pull it down over the snake. Run back inside the temple. Next, do the same thing with the farthest cage on the left. Continue until all cages have hit the snake. You must do the keystrokes quickly when the snake looks away. Hope this helps.
Shirley

Chicagoboy
21st May 2006, 18:17
:D :D :D :D :D
Thanks so much! I am on PC- quick question... What key puts my guns away? You are awesome!

Manyfest
22nd May 2006, 04:25
http://www.e3insider.com/gametrailers/?e=1S0MV65U1V

aussie500
22nd May 2006, 08:11
l played the XBox version as well and always had trouble with the back left hand lever, she would usually use the grapple on the back right one instead, even if she could not see it. put her as close to the lever as you can (left hand corner of pier) have the lever on your right hand side, look at it and grapple. If she does not get it second attempt run back a bit till he moves away, then double back and start shooting again. l never got it first time, always had to run for it, and yes several times Lara fell in l put her that close to the edge and gruesome picked her up and threw her back on the shore

Leopard
24th May 2006, 23:22
If you pull on any of the levers when you first enter the dragon room and then save your game prior to killing the dragon you will have to start the level over. I am on PS2 and had to start over as you will in essence break the lever and corrupt your saved file. It took me about 4 hours of trying to pull the last lever which never worked to realize that problem. When entering that room from the short waterfalll don't play with any of the levers until the dragon appears. GOOD LUCK....

aussie500
24th May 2006, 23:37
Strange l pulled all of them, not sure if l saved the game though?

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 00:10
I'm at the point where I've just met the fourth boss, Leviathon. I guess what I'm supposed to do is use my gun and shoot the towers until you see the sound waves coming off of them, and then I'm supposed to use my grapple and throw it at the lever next to the tower and the cage will fall on the monsters head. Well it ain't working. I'm supposed to see a blue reticle when I'm aiming at a grapple point and I'm looking everywhere on the shimmering lever and no blue reticle has turned up, consequently the cages do not want to fall. I'm playing the Xbox 360 version. I'll keep trying but it seems to me these grapple points should be pretty easy to lock onto.

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 02:04
Well I tried moving in closer but that didn't seem to do anything either. I'm standing right at the edge of the lake and scanning that shimmering lever with my reticle but it still does not turn blue at any point. Beats me what the deal is with this.

Treeble
17th Jun 2006, 02:09
I've heard about a bug on this area, did you happen to try grappling the mechanisms before entering the court of the Round Table chamber (where you ring a bell to hatch Arthur's "egg")? Sorry I can't offer more help.

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 02:57
I did use the grapple successfully right before entering into this boss area. I think I used the grapple to grab a chandalier and it swung across the room or something. This is bad. If it is indeed a bug does that mean I'm screwed? I can't finish the game? Or is there a fix?

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 04:43
Well I spent about 2 and a half hours just on that part to no avail. The reticle never turns to blue to indicate it's time to throw the grapple. I think I may ask Eidos if this is a bug in the game.

aussie500
17th Jun 2006, 05:08
Well it seems much more complex than the other versions, what is a reticle? Where are you standing when trying to grapple, remember the lever has to be pulled forward to there is no point standing to close to it, Lara will not have the leverage to pull it, so will not grapple it

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 05:47
A targeting reticle is the crosshairs of your gun that usually show up in the center of your screen. In the 360 version when you select accurate aim Lara pulls her guns and you can either shoot the guns or if the reticle turns blue you can throw the grapple.

I've tried standing on the shore right next to the water's edge with no luck. I've also tried standing farther away from the water but still no grapple reticle. Maybe I should try standing on the bridge but I don't think that would make a difference. I should be able to throw the grapple at the shimmering metal levers and it should work. But I will try standing on the bridge next time I play and see if that makes any difference.

LittleSpender
17th Jun 2006, 11:47
Are you holstering your guns before you try to use the grapple?

aussie500
17th Jun 2006, 12:55
Do not use the accurate aim, shoot the bell, holster and then grapple. You grapple the back ones from the side of the pier, as close as you can get, usually you grapple the front ones from the shore about a rolls length (maybe 2 it has been a while since l did it) from the start of the pier

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 19:39
It is not necessary to holster your guns before using the grapple. In fact I don't think it's possible. You see when you click the right thumbstick to bring out accurate aim Lara automatically draws her guns. If she is pointing at a grapple point, the reticle automatically will turn blue and then you can hit the X button to launch the grapple.

Silopolis
17th Jun 2006, 22:26
I know there are a lot of threads about this, but none of them have any answers. This is really ridiculous, and it has me seconds from trading in my copy of TR7 and warning friends never to buy it, since there's a random chance they'll never be able to finish it.

I'm at the leviathan, and I can bring down three of the cages on his head, but the fourth one, the one in the back right, won't move when I pull the switch. I've tried doing the cages in different orders, tried doing the broken cage first, and tried reloading a previous save to see if it works, but nothing does. I really don't want to have to start back all the way at the beginning of England to do this, but that looks like my only choice if I want to keep playing (which I'm not sure at this point). But of course, I can't find a way to reload the level and start at the beginning.

Can someone help me? Please tell me the devs are aware of this and know some way to fix it. It's a ridiculous bug, and they had to have found it if so many of us have found it. I mean, if it's based on monkeying with the levers before you go in the castle, how are we supposed to know not to mess with them?

Has anyone gotten past this after having one of the cages break like that?

John Carter
17th Jun 2006, 22:33
I downloaded the savegame pack from www.tombraiderchronicles.com and skipped to the immediate post-leviathan battle position. Like you, I tried all the strategies and then just gave up on it. Rest of the game went quite nicely. :)

aussie500
17th Jun 2006, 22:56
Well you are going to be there for a long time then, do not blame the game for it

Silopolis
17th Jun 2006, 23:31
Does that work on the Xbox 360?

ShirleyC
17th Jun 2006, 23:48
I have read that the Saved Games mentioned above only work when playing on a pc.
Shirley

ShirleyC
17th Jun 2006, 23:52
I am playing on a pc and have never used manual aim, just shoot til the bell rings loudly and the serpent looks away. Holster, grapple, pull (action) and sometimes repeatedly using the action. Perhaps it is different when using your system.
Shirley

357mag
17th Jun 2006, 23:59
I am playing on a pc and have never used manual aim, just shoot til the bell rings loudly and the serpent looks away. Holster, grapple, pull (action) and sometimes repeatedly using the action. Perhaps it is different when using your system.
Shirley

There is no command to tell Lara to holster her weapons. In the 360 version it's like I said earlier. You click the right thumbstick to go in accurate aim mode. When you do that she automatically draws her guns. Then you can choose to shoot, or if you see the blue reticle you can choose to hit the X button and launch the grapple. This is the way it's been the whole game folks. And it's worked great up until now.

susan
18th Jun 2006, 00:18
There is no command to tell Lara to holster her weapons. In the 360 version it's like I said earlier. You click the right thumbstick to go in accurate aim mode. When you do that she automatically draws her guns. Then you can choose to shoot, or if you see the blue reticle you can choose to hit the X button and launch the grapple. This is the way it's been the whole game folks. And it's worked great up until now.
Isn't there another button to pull out the guns generally? I mean not in accurate aim mode?

On the PS2 you press L1 and she pulls out her guns and auto-targets for you to fire.

If you need to accurately aim at something (guns or grapple), you click the righ thumbstick to go into accurate aim mode - as you describe above.

At this stage in the game, to defeat the sea creature, you don't need to use the accurate aim on the PS2, you use the auto-target aim.

Hope that makes sense. :)

John Carter
18th Jun 2006, 00:28
Yep, PC only there. However, many people complete the game on a console, so it must be possible. I am told that shooting the left rear cage before trying it with any others worked, but I could never make it happen myself.

Treeble
18th Jun 2006, 00:33
Actually, it seems he hit a glitch on the area. Even if he doesn't use the accurate aim, point is the grapple won't attach to that last lever. Not sure, but have you tried grappling it without the autoaim? Center the lever on the camera and simply press X to throw the grapple. If it attaches, try pulling it.

357mag
18th Jun 2006, 00:46
Well I can make Lara fire her pistols by just hitting the right trigger. She fires and then puts them away. I also can tell her to throw her grapple by just hitting the X button. But it seems to me that I would have to go into accurate aim mode in order to line up the targeting reticle with the grapple point. I don't see how just throwing the grapple all willy nilly would work. I'll try it though.

Treeble
18th Jun 2006, 00:57
It should. Whenever there's a sheen on screen Lara will recogize and throw the grapple, even if you have your back turned on it. :)

susan
18th Jun 2006, 01:02
Well I can make Lara fire her pistols by just hitting the right trigger. She fires and then puts them away. I also can tell her to throw her grapple by just hitting the X button. But it seems to me that I would have to go into accurate aim mode in order to line up the targeting reticle with the grapple point. I don't see how just throwing the grapple all willy nilly would work. I'll try it though.Try it 357mag. This is how you do it on the PS2. There isn't enough time at this point to accurate aim the grapple I find.

Like Treeble says, the grapple will find the right bit, although you may have to make sure Lara is facing the right way.

Good luck. :)

357mag
18th Jun 2006, 02:17
How wonderful. Just the news I wanted to read.

357mag
18th Jun 2006, 05:20
Well I won. I defeated the sea monster. It didn't take as long as I thought it was though. After reading the posts on this board I was pretty much thinking this is going to be a really aggravating battle. But in about an hour and a half he was down. But I gotta say though that the way the developers did the grapple points in this particular part of the game really seems sloppy.

Treeble
18th Jun 2006, 05:33
Glad you made it!

The grapple works the same way throughout the whole game. The secret is on the camera rotation. When there are two sheen items on screen she tends to pull the closest one, but with a simple rotation you get her 'focus' on the other object. Takes a while to master, I'll admit, but I am impressed you made it this far only using the accurate aim whenever you needed to use the grappl! :eek: :thumbsup:

Doll
19th Jun 2006, 11:02
Hi,
I've encountered the same problem as many others, I cannot kill the two serpants. I was thinking about restarting England in Easy Mode, however I cannot find the link to restart level I can only restart the game in easy mode. Would doing it on easy mode make any difference? Any level skips? I am playing the game on PS2. I would appreciate any help as Im only 17 and earn a mere £16 a week so the game was expensive to me and I cannot complete it.

Please help me.
add me on msn if that'll help jenniferhunter94@hotmail.com
Thanks
Doll

LaraGirl216
19th Jun 2006, 15:33
I pulled them before and a bug didn't appear.

How Strange

shaahinkaaveh
19th Jun 2006, 22:17
I played with them too, but I admit I'm not sure about saving it (guess did so).

shaahinkaaveh
19th Jun 2006, 22:35
Hi,
I was thinking about restarting England in Easy Mode, however I cannot find the link to restart level I can only restart the game in easy mode. Would doing it on easy mode make any difference? Any level skips?
Doll

There is no way to replay a level untill you've completed the level, unfortunatly.

star girl
20th Jun 2006, 04:59
:D :D :D :D :D
Thanks so much! I am on PC- quick question... What key puts my guns away? You are awesome!

ShirleyC means that you stop shooting. Lara will pause for a second then holster her guns. I realized that if you hit the grapple button just once, and don't press it again and again, Lara will grapple the mechanism. I know it's very hard to control yourself, but the movement is timed and you have to do it quickly before the serpent moves it's attention back to you. Hope this helps. :)

Doll
20th Jun 2006, 15:11
Thank you were all very helpful but I still cant do it. Nvm ill keep trying.
Doll

Pendragon
21st Jun 2006, 11:37
Hi Everyone just popped in to see how you are all doing and I see the old chestnut of the serpent is still causing problems.

I posted a walkthrough some time ago that helped PC users kill the thing so I'll post a link back to it here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=59445&highlight=Pendragon Scroll down to you see my name

I hope it helps some of you get past this part.

Regards, pendragon.

Treeble
4th Jul 2006, 21:10
Just thought I'd add. Yesterday when I was playing England on time trial I had that phenomena happening to me, Lara wouldn't throw the grapple on the last mechanism, neither with accurate aim nor anyway else. I thought about giving up too, and since I was going to do so I jumped onto the lake just for fun. Turns out the serpent grapped me and threw me onto the castle area again, I was still alive and when I tried it again, the grapple went onto the last mechanism just fine. :scratch:

I'm not sure what causes the glitch and if this is a solution that will always work, but if it happens to you, give it a try. Won't hurt. Well, not you anyway. Make sure you have at least one medipack left as that attack will take a lot of Lara's energy.

aussie500
4th Jul 2006, 23:23
Normally all you need to do is try it from a different angle or position, it is probably easier just to run back towards the shore, and then double back as soon as he dives. My motto was always if she stuffed it up twice do not try a third time but run for it and comeback. l always had trouble with the back left one, she never ever did it straight away, l always had to come back for a second attempt at least. And in the end l used to perch that close to the edge on the left corner l would occasionally fall in anyway :rolleyes:

amalsky
7th Jul 2006, 10:47
At the beginning I had the same problem.
I looked for some advice on the net and found this information from stella’s site that helped me really: :)

Simpler said than done, naturally. Here are some tips, in no particular order, which will hopefully make things easier:
• Save manually before exiting the building. Then you can reload whenever you choose.
• After the first time, skip the initial cut scene by pressing Escape/Start, then choosing Skip Cinematic from the menu. Unfortunately you can't do that for the cut scene when Lara falls into the water or the ones after you succeed in dropping each cage.
• Begin to grapple the lever before the serpent's full attention goes to the bell. You'll have a little more time that way. As soon as you see its head start to turn toward the sound, press Target Lock (to holster guns) then grapple then Interact (to pull).
• Don't tap the holster/grapple/pull keys repeatedly. It's tempting in the heat of battle, but a firm press on each one with a brief pause between actually works better.
• The serpent is blind so it tracks its prey by sound. If its attention strays from the ringing bell toward Lara, stop shooting so it doesn't move in on the sound of her pistols. Then move to another bell and start shooting again only when close enough so the reticule turns red. It should then be attracted to the bell rather than Lara.
• If you succeed in pulling the lever but the cage misses the serpent, move on to a different bell and lever, giving the first one time to reset before you try again.
• Do the more difficult levers first, whichever those are for you. Then if you succeed, keep going. If Lara's nearly dead and you still have two levers to go, reload and try again.
• Or, do the levers in order from right to left, luring the serpent from bell to bell. I haven't had too much luck with this method, but several players swear they've done the whole thing "easily" by starting on the far right, where the serpent first comes out of the water. They suggest activating the first bell and lever from the shore, rather than the bridge. Then moving onto the bridge for the second and third, then back to the shore for the fourth (leftmost). This strategy may result in the bug where the left- or rightmost lever doesn't function. So you may want to skip it. See the bug warning below.
• When working on the two levers at the end of the broken bridge, sometimes Lara will grapple the wrong lever. Pointing the camera directly at the correct lever (using the mouse or right stick) and then turning Lara toward it (by tapping Forward) both seem to help.
• Several PlayStation users have recommend holding down the grapple button (Square) while working the other controls. That doesn't seem to work on the PC game, but maybe it helps on the consoles.
• A few players recommend using the rifle instead of pistols. It does allow you to target the bells from farther away, but sometimes the grapple won't reach that far. Try it if you like.
• Adjust the screen brightness if necessary. It's awfully dark down here. The Options menu includes Calibration for changing brightness and contrast settings. Or, just turn up your monitor/TV.
• Turn off the sound. If, like me, you're easily worked up by dramatic music, eliminate that distraction.
BUG WARNING: There is a bug here, in which one or more of the cages get stuck and won't drop when you pull the lever. If you have tried all the suggestions for completing this section normally and the cages just won't drop, then it's most likely the bug. Eidos support recommends replaying the level, though perhaps just reloading from an earlier save will help. Several players have suggested not pulling any levers before entering the tomb and then, when fighting the serpent, using the levers beyond the end of the bridge first, then the two near the shore.

babylittlee
11th Jul 2006, 02:21
I can't get to the ball I tried to use the grapple to pull down the statue but the grapple won't reach that high! Please someone explain exactly what to do, do I need to stand on something? This is the psp version.

aussie500
11th Jul 2006, 09:05
Well that really does not have to much to do with the dragon section, all you have to do is look at it (move the camera if necessary) grapple and then use the interact button to pull the grapple line. Sorry l have no idea what you press on the PSP. If after looking she will still not grapple just use accurate aim

jimblanc
11th Jul 2006, 22:54
sorry,i am new in that forum,i don't know if i should post in that thread or make another
i have the psp-version of the game,and i am in England level.i have already visit the cave with the oil and swam in a big lake,but i haven't seen anything...
I entered in the King's Arthur tomb and i saw 1 bell,a broken cofin and king's cofin...what should i do...?
where is the monster?is sth wrong,or i must do sth to see the boss of the level...

aussie500
12th Jul 2006, 04:15
You need to get the sword fragment first from King Arther, then when you leave you will meet the water dragon

heva21
20th Jul 2006, 11:27
I need help please when you are fighting the sea monster. I shoot the bells to distract the monster but I get to the last one and I pull the leved r the cage gets stuck and won't drop on the monster. Is this a bug in the game as some people have reported or am I doing something wrong? :)

This dragon is doing my head in 2. so far ive hit it twice, and have no health packs need serious help!:

sege
20th Jul 2006, 22:11
I set this game to easy because I wanted to have fun. But this serpent thing is next to impossible. It actually shows up all the negative aspects of the game. I have found that unless you do things EXACTLY right it doesn't work.

Right now on my last health boost by the time I have stopped firing, despatched the grapple, etc the serpent has moved and the cage misses. I have got one cage down but that's it. I must have tried this 20 or 30 times and it's just boring now. It's a shame there is no "skip this bit" feature.

What annoys me is not my lack of skill but rather the inconsistency. One time the grapple hits the target first time and then the next, from the same position, the grapple pops off at a tangent. One time the serpent gets clobbered by the cage and the next time, with the serpent seemingly in the same position, it misses him. :confused:

So I think it's time to retire Lara back to Game for a bit of cashback and maybe find a game that is more consistent.

aussie500
21st Jul 2006, 01:58
l have played this part many times and have not found any great inconsistancy, true l always miss grappling the back left one on the first 2 attempts and have to run for it, but have always managed to do it no problem. If you simply cannot do it do not blame the game, it is not the game being inconsistant here. It does not just matter where you stand, but also where you are looking as to whether the grapple works or not, same with dropping the cages, if the dragon is not properly hypnotised he will move before it drops. Frankly if you find this game to hard to play, l hate to think what you would have thought of the other 6 in the series, they were all much harder than Legend

sege
21st Jul 2006, 19:28
l have played this part many times and have not found any great inconsistancy, true l always miss grappling the back left one on the first 2 attempts and have to run for it, but have always managed to do it no problem. If you simply cannot do it do not blame the game, it is not the game being inconsistant here. It does not just matter where you stand, but also where you are looking as to whether the grapple works or not, same with dropping the cages, if the dragon is not properly hypnotised he will move before it drops. Frankly if you find this game to hard to play, l hate to think what you would have thought of the other 6 in the series, they were all much harder than Legend

It's not really about hard and soft it's more about fun and tedium. I have played challenging stuff before but there has always been a clear consistent reason why x didn't work as I expected. I take your point about the "camera" view but I think the number of people who have said that a leaver fails to work and the helpline advice is to try again etc means there is something inconsistent. I have met inconsistent before in the game. One time I stood on a box with a rope practically dangling through my head and jumping wouldn't grab it. What I had to do is leap from a nearby ledge and then suddenly Lara could grab it.

I guess my statement is unless you do it exactly how the game designer expects then it doesn't work. This is a wee bit second generation gaming. Games like Mercenaries allow free roaming of the environment and 2 players can get to the end following different routes.

Lara's environment is lavish but a slave to a particular pattern of successful exploration.

An example of what I say. Why, in the case of the serpent, can't you just lob a grenade at the damn bell causing the cage to fall and trapping the serpent. The designers are obssessed with 4. In the previous scenarios there were 4 platforms you had to demolish and 4 power supplies you had to switch on ... blah blah. Now I am getting in danger of being boring and predictable.....

dulcetpurr
28th Jul 2006, 20:25
I am just completely stunned that so many people had trouble with this section. I read Stella's walkthroughs and just try to follow her advice and she almost always gets me through. I'm also a little baffled that people would just give up the game due to this. I've had parts in TR that frustrated me to no end before, but I've never said "well, I'm selling this game, it's a piece of ****e because I coudn't get past one part."

The serpent part was hard, I must've tried at least 10 times. But once I figured out how it worked it was a piece of cake. I just run out, I always go to the rightmost bell first. I press G to pull guns and start firing. At this point I don't even look at Lara anymore, I'm watching the snake the whole time. He'll knock Lara down several times, but I just get back up, stay exactly where I am, squarely facing the bell I'm shooting for, and keep firing. Still watching the snake, mind you. When the snake closes his mouth and starts to turn his head, I know the bell is affecting him. I quickly press G again, just once. Quickly press Q once, pause for half a second, then press E firmly to reel in the grapple. Cage goes down, and I run for the left most bell. Same thing. I do the middle two bells last because they are the hardest. You have to have Lara facing the bell and lever pretty squarely, or she'll try to target the other bell when she grapples. They are just rather close together in that way. The right middle bell always goes easily for me, but the left middle one usually requires a 2nd try as Lara's grappled the wrong thing or some such nonsense.

But it isn't really that hard.

annieystrad
18th Aug 2006, 00:52
I need help please when you are fighting the sea monster. I shoot the bells to distract the monster but I get to the last one and I pull the lever the cage gets stuck and won't drop on the monster. Is this a bug in the game as some people have reported or am I doing something wrong? :)

I have just finished that level.

I found that I had to work left back while on the bridge. Then left front ( hiding back in the temple or whatever soon as I bashed one bell). Then I did front right while on the ground (back in the temple to hide) then back right.

Been on this for ages. Grapple kept going to wrong section.

Hope this helps:

LΞGΞND
21st Aug 2006, 19:45
How long exactly did all of you indevidualy spend on that level, so far it sounds like most of you are completly bad at this game (note: some of you)
that was like one of the easy levels (on adventurer) though I lose a lot of health (on hard) Hint: just keep pressing crouch/duck wile moving left/right it basicly dodges most attacks... it's either a glitch/cool bug or move-to-make-game-easy controle

my game does'nt give any problems (well maby some gripping stuff and save points) and ive got ver. 1.0

LΞGΞND

shaq
31st Aug 2006, 13:21
I heard about bug at this point... I guess so... that sometimes the cage blocks but I didn't meet it during my trip (PC)... I use such scenario to jump this Sea Serpent:

- Save game before action...
- prepere Lara to it (full health packs...) - use "Home" button to recover health...
- chose one of the Sea Serpent left or right and go close to the bell in the place that You will be able to use magnetic grapple...
- get the pistols using automatic aim option button...
- several steps to the left and right and shoot to the BELL
- the Sea Serpent hipnotize always in the same moment it is easy to apreciate this moment
- when this moment will be close... or when it happen...
- hide pistols using automatic aim option button...
- and quick shoot to the bell using the magnetic grapple and use the interactive button to put down the cage and hit the Sea Serpent
- when it happens the Sea Serpent lose 1/4 of power...

Try to repeat this for all Sea Serpent...

ditom
7th Oct 2006, 20:46
i think you are doing something wrong

invader
4th Nov 2006, 19:44
Don't give up.

Believe me. If you are calm enough you can beat the monster with no scratch
at all.

But for that you must press the right keys in the right time. If you are on a PC, just remap HOLSTER/GRAPPLE/INTERACT in sequence wherever suits you so that you do not have to look to the keys but actually follow the moves of the serpent. Most time people (as I did the first attempts) fail because we tend to shoot the bell too much. AS SOON AS the serpent turns to the bell and its eyes glitters, press HOSTER, wait (DO NOT KEEP PRESSING - PERHAPS YOUR PUTER IS JUST A LITTLE SLOW) a milliseconds, press GRAPPLE, wait a milliseconds, then press INTERACT, and you get it crushed.

After the shortcut run IMMEDIATELY to the far opposite bell (keeping moving is Lara's only chance because the serpent is not accurate in its attacks) repeat the process go to the bell on the right over the bridge and finally to the left.

As I said,you just need to the calm. Put away sounds if necessary.

------

Also, if you need more time to kill it IN THE TIME TRIAL. Use a shortcut in the tall room with unstable stairs:

After the forklift goes down, go to the first unstable stairs, but instead of proceeding on, adjust Lara facing the the dangling chains below. When the portion of stairs falls down wait a millisecond, run and grap the chains. Turn around and jump to the next unstable stairs, run to the last part, and finally, with guns pulled, make a safe jump to the little slope on the ground at the corner of the tall room. Congrats: NO SCRATCH.

Now Lara has a lot of time to beat the monster.

pheonix
11th Nov 2006, 15:08
i know what yo mean im stck at that boss too and dont know what to do.
lepoard do yo have to restart the whole game again or can yo just restart the level as the far left lever does not work???

lara_croft_
1st Jan 2007, 10:38
Hi! I was stuck on that stupid serpent too,but the levers and bels were cool.I started from the right bell next to the shore,then the left one next to the shore.After that I went on the bridge and did the right than the left bell! Peace of cake.At the begining I was afraid of the sucker,but then I killed it and I was laughing at it when it died.:D

lara_croft_
1st Jan 2007, 10:39
I killed the sucker easy.
:nut:

BLAZEONE
7th Jan 2007, 03:36
The stage that you are refering to is very tricky i must admit at first but this stage will take just a little practice. Timimng is what is important here. Start on the far right of the screen make sure your ammo is up to parr first, then wait for monster to just begin to surface and shott the bell making sure that the echo tones are wide as possible to distract the monster. Even if the monster starts to attack he will turn to the bell in awe of the echo tone and you already know fire the magnetic grapple and let him have it. If the sequence is not correct as you know it would appear that the cages are getting stuck but in fact the monster will move as it was not timed correct and he will attack you. If the monster starts to attack do not stand in the same area as you will surley be stuck in a pattern of doom that will make very upset. Instead go for another bell as the monster will surmerge and you can try again fresh. Trust me it took me an hour to perfect this. I have completed this game with only 88% complete but i have unlocked all the rewards brone , some silver , and i am still searching for the gold. The Final stage of the game is the most rewarding as you get to use excaliber the sword itself and go against amanda's little friend from the pendent she wears around her neck i dont want to spoil the ending of the game but here a great tip to win.....L2 !!!!!!!!!! I dont want to tell everthing to beat the game as it would spoil it for everyone hope the tip helps with the sea monster though. I cant wait till the next version of tomb raider to come out as the ending of the game makes you want to continue your journey oh so badly...enjoy.

lunastar87
7th Jan 2007, 03:51
i have the same problem with the PS2 version I cant seem to get the cages to fall or for the bells to ringer louder and when they do ring loud the snake looks at it for like a minute and then attacks her...

BLAZEONE
7th Jan 2007, 05:25
i have the same problem with the PS2 version I cant seem to get the cages to fall or for the bells to ringer louder and when they do ring loud the snake looks at it for like a minute and then attacks her...

The stage that you are refering to is very tricky i must admit at first but this stage will take just a little practice. Timimng is what is important here. Start on the far right of the screen make sure your ammo is up to parr first, then wait for monster to just begin to surface and shott the bell making sure that the echo tones are wide as possible to distract the monster. Even if the monster starts to attack he will turn to the bell in awe of the echo tone and you already know fire the magnetic grapple and let him have it. If the sequence is not correct as you know it would appear that the cages are getting stuck but in fact the monster will move as it was not timed correct and he will attack you. If the monster starts to attack do not stand in the same area as you will surley be stuck in a pattern of doom that will make very upset. Instead go for another bell as the monster will surmerge and you can try again fresh. Trust me it took me an hour to perfect this. I have completed this game with only 88% complete but i have unlocked all the rewards brone , some silver , and i am still searching for the gold. The Final stage of the game is the most rewarding as you get to use excaliber the sword itself and go against amanda's little friend from the pendent she wears around her neck i dont want to spoil the ending of the game but here a great tip to win.....L2 !!!!!!!!!! I dont want to tell everthing to beat the game as it would spoil it for everyone hope the tip helps with the sea monster though. I cant wait till the next version of tomb raider to come out as the ending of the game makes you want to continue your journey oh so badly...enjoy.
:)

MysticalPaladin
14th Jan 2007, 06:41
It is a glitch in that level. I think you might have done something wrong somewhere along the line. I was stuck there trying to figure for a whole week, and then finally replaying it. I beat it already I know what to do. So I replayed it and it worked again. Therefore there must be a glitch.

intrepid_soul
20th Jan 2007, 00:03
http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=557&nav=0

Is everyrthing we know on the serpent issue.

BassViper
1st Feb 2007, 19:06
Gee legend,

Thanks for your "polite" and thoughtful insults.

"Bad" players"? There are NO "bad" players, only frustrated ones. Like we ALL have been. If you NEVER have been then why do you play?

NO game these days is bug free.

Part of the fun is even getting around the shortcomings of the game itself.

Yeah, Today, the games have WAY better graphics, but the old stuff had more bullet-proof programming and almost infinite ability to deal with how good you got at it.

I marvel at how this new stuff baffles newcomers these days and sympathize with the chicken-s**t tech support you'll get when it goes astray.

But...

TRL has no in-escapable puzzles.

You can trust it to get you out of whatever you get into as long as it doesn't crash.

Nobody here is a "dummy", just another frustrated individual that has yet to figure out how to solve the current problem.

We've all been there, done that.

Hey, is this not what it's all about in the first place?

Martin C
19th Feb 2007, 09:45
Just in case anyone is wondering for the PC version of Legend, you can holster your weapons with the 'G' key. It's more efficient to fire weapons, soon as the serpents head turns towards the structure press 'G' to immediately holster and then use your grapple on the mechanism.

Hope that helps any PC user that gets stuck on this boss fight. :)

Martin C x

K8eP
21st Feb 2007, 12:36
It is such a red herring (not liturally) that damn part of the level!!

When the monster comes up near the bell - you shoot at it to confuse it, then pull the lever to smash 'im on 'is head.

I had to call up the helpline for that one... at least I had my parents backing!!

KP

;)

chipfryer
24th Feb 2007, 21:02
Have to admit it I gave up.
I've got a download file and will play from there. It's the second time only that I've done this but both were in the last 2 editions of TR.

I was enjoying this level until this boss thing came up again. I only have half life due to being stupid :rolleyes: There are no pickups so in essence no point really.

I may go back to try it again but its spoilt the game really for me because everyone wants to say they did it.
:mad2:

babywrath
6th Mar 2007, 18:33
Nessee(sea monster was a btch):mad2: I had to walk away chill and come back to it.

I got help at Stellalunes' site, found under S here (member)....probably easy to google.Do donate she's a sweety.

That's one thing I would change in Legend insanely hard challenges,not a major glitch but if you've had a hard day and just want to hang out out with your favorite two dementional delusion.......hey stress not invited:lmao:

lots of ideas,no talent,been lonely too long
Da Baby

chipfryer
18th Mar 2007, 17:09
Hahahahaha This made me laugh thanks for that :D

I haven't touched the game for 2 weeks because of this and I just logged on to see what was new? I am sure before very long I'll be :mad2: again since I've decided to see if I can crack it. :rolleyes:
Keep well.
;)

Nessee(sea monster was a btch):mad2: I had to walk away chill and come back to it.

I got help at Stellalunes' site, found under S here (member)....probably easy to google.Do donate she's a sweety.

That's one thing I would change in Legend insanely hard challenges,not a major glitch but if you've had a hard day and just want to hang out out with your favorite two dementional delusion.......hey stress not invited:lmao:

lots of ideas,no talent,been lonely too long
Da Baby

Griz1
6th Apr 2007, 15:34
;) On a PC using logitech rumblepad 2. OS is Vista. Next Gen and all display options are on. I set combat mode to "advanced hold" as per Stella's instructions. That way she automatically holsters her guns. Bonking it on the head on the far right and left was easy enough (although still took several tries) The real p.i.t.a. was the left rear. Perplexed by this for a bit but soon discovered that all I had to do was move the camera angle to the right of her a bit and then she'll grapple that lever properly every time. BONK! And the serpent is down and she can get out. Young people tend to give up too easily and move the controls too fast and too far. And lose patience. Take it easy. And not get too frustrated. Come back to it later if necessary. Half the fun is in the challenge.

Just looked up to the left at my profile. Yikes April 2006! I know I bought this day one when it first came out. And I haven't completed it yet? hmmm . . middle aged married life, motorcycles, snowmobiles, camping, fishing, vehicle and household maintenance, and (yuck) work do take their toll! ha ha hope to complete this before anniversary hits the shelves! in Nepal now having fun as always.

wildchildajx18
22nd Apr 2007, 13:49
Oh, i had the same problem with mine. I got so ticked off i wanted to throw the controller. Thats why the grapple doesnt work good with me.:mad2:

Filipe
30th Apr 2007, 16:57
Activate the cage that doesn't work before enter King Athur's tomb and it wont stuck for PS2

RavynX
29th May 2007, 04:38
I picked up Tomb Raider: Legends yesterday for my Xbox360 and today I made it to the England level (playing on medium difficulty for now). I remember playing with one or two of the levers when I first entered the area before making my way into the castle. I've done the boss fight several times now; she's fairly easy when you figure out what you have to do, but I got the glitch as well.

I can't drop down the back right cage. I know I'm grappling it correctly and pulling on the line because I can see the lever moving but the cage isn't falling. I've also tried using accurate aim and that also does not drop the cage.

I'm calling it quits for tonight since I have work in the morning but I will start the level all over again and try to see if that fixes it.

lunastar87
29th May 2007, 14:27
I have the PS2 version, and I have trouble grabbing the levers for the cages no matter what....I'll direct Lara to them as quicks as possible but she never gets them...or IF she does, its the wrong one.......and Ive been stuck on it for a very long time lol....I just want to skip that damn level now and move on, I give up :mad2:

RavynX
1st Jun 2007, 04:38
I'm back. I restarted the game yesterday and put it to Difficult setting and got to the 3rd level. This afternoon I got to the water serpent, didn't fool with any of the levers as I swam by, came out and defeated the serpent with no problems.

So for you Xbox360'ers, make sure you keep a separate save file when you start the England level just in case it gets messed up.

Cheers!

ninjamynci
3rd Jun 2007, 01:12
I have to say, the sea serpent battle wasn't that difficult. I'm generally hopeless with tomb raider games and have found this one absurdly easy compared to the earlier releases.
After a couple of tries initally to get used to dodging Nessie's attacks, the only problem I had was trying to grapple the rear left lever where Lara keeps hooking the lever to the right instead. Lara always has been a bit of a dimwit in situations like this though so I'll forgive her. If anyone is on the verge of giving up, don't If I managed to get past it, anyone can and yopu'll get there in the end.
I'd also suggest using a couple of save slots and alternating overwriting them so if you need to go back, you can.

The Real Tommy V
9th Jun 2007, 23:43
Can't say I've ever encountered this glitch. Yeah every once in a while she'll aim for the wrong one but I've never had it where she couldn't bring the lever down.

highlander20816
10th Jun 2007, 02:12

i im mike i got to know something when you first got to the castle did you play with the levers at all? i mean before fighting the monster because if you played with the levers too much they quit working thats the bug i know because happen to me try replaying the level or you try playing a whole new because thats how i got out of it but dont touch the levers at all when you get there ok. if this doesnt work go to www.tombraiderchronicles.com click on "TOMB RAIDER LEGEND" scroll down til you get to walkthroughs and cheats click on PC GAME SAVES that should help try that --- MIKE

beachlady
16th Jun 2007, 01:40
I to had problems with Level 6 with fighting the sea monster. I'm playing the LEGEND Game on the PS2...I was getting very frustrated after trying a couple of times. I had to leave the game for a few days. I then booted up the game to try again. YEA!!! I did it after trying for about an hour. YES!! I finally past this level. I was so happy with myself! OK....this is how "I" did it......After the first cutscene.....I ran LARA down the center path. As soon as I came to the end, the seamonster came up on the left side.....so I had LARA short at the left tower.....as soon as the monster looked away, I had LARA immediately pull the lever! YEA! it worked, then after the "Cutscene" I had her immediately shoot the tower on the right and as soon as the monster looked away, I had LARA immediately pull the lever. YEA!! It worked again....After this cutscene, have LARA "RUN, hop, roll....just really HURRY to the temple. Have her rest inside on the right (as she is looking out)....If you do the about just like I said above, LARA will still have ALL her health as she rests inside the temple.....she then see's the monster on the other side on the right.....Have her run over to the left and have LARA shoot quickly to the left tower. As soon as the monster looks away, hurry and pull the lever! YEA!! It worked again.....after the cutscene, Run LARA a fast as she can run to the last tower on the right and shoot as fast as you can at the tower....as soon as the monster looks away, pull the lever! YEA!!! It worked again....Now pat your self on the back!!! You did it!

tomb-raider-2
27th Jun 2007, 09:20
well its actually a glitch... sorry if somone has already posted but there is nothing you can do except start the game again.. I had this issue and i had to start again and it worked...

Paulraider
2nd Jul 2007, 01:26
i got stuff on the same place, then had enough, thei got rid of my gc and now want it on PS2

the grapple didnt work, i thought, whats going on here,lol

naraku
27th Jul 2007, 09:27
Wow, I guess I'm not crazy, thank God. I too have the same problem with the same bell. But sometimes I look at the bell squared on and She grapples a different bell lever. And yet others it looks like I got him and yet I didn't. Weird

Lego3400
30th Sep 2007, 20:37
With a little bit of aiming, non accurate that is, I can get her to grapple the last bell, but When she pulls it, nothing happens.

donnabright
18th Nov 2007, 05:06
I read the lever does not always work because there is a bug, or some kind of glitch in the game. I also noticed the same problem with one of the levers not working. I would just run around and go to the next lever and once the bell dropped on the serpents head, then I try it again. The lever that did not seem to work, then it seemed to work for me. Or maybe I was just standing in the wrong position or something, maybe that is why, not sure. All I know is I defeated the serpent, not easy but I did it.

BD2007
27th Dec 2007, 20:36
Chicagoboy, if you're on a computer:
Have Lara run with guns drawn to the farthest cage on the right. Start shooting at the bell when it becomes targeted. Shoot until it becomes loud (changes color for a second), and the snake turns to look at the bell. PUT away guns, Use grapple to grab cage, Use action key to pull it down over the snake. Run back inside the temple. Next, do the same thing with the farthest cage on the left. Continue until all cages have hit the snake. You must do the keystrokes quickly when the snake looks away. Hope this helps.
Shirley

hi, is there anyway to get an extra health pack? (cheats)
i have full health at the start of the serpant battle, but none in reserve.
i'm also playing the game on ps3 platform> i tried ps2 cheats(no working)
bill

LCraider08
22nd Jan 2008, 19:26
I am having the worst trouble. I have beaten every tomb raider game except Legend becuase it is impossible to beat the sea serpent boss. Anyone have any cheats to bypass this level? please let me know. :mad2:

LCraider08
25th Jan 2008, 19:29
I thought I would never finish Tomb Raider Legend, and after completing Anniversary, I thought i need to. FInally after a long delay, I tried to do the serpant and I was successful..what my help was to dodge alot and while you are shooting the bell, watch the serpant. His head will turn to the bell and stare at it for awhile, giving you enough time to grapple it. it works, just keep trying!

dizzikittenlove
9th Feb 2008, 21:16
Oh dear. It seems you guys went through the trouble that i did. But don't worry. This isn't your fault. Its a problem with the game. I too, thought i would never finnish the game but alas i did! with a magical little thing called a FAQ. :)

Here, i will explain the problem ie, what is wrong with it, what is it, how can you solve it and a mini walkthrough of this level

BATTLING THE SERPENT: CHECKPOINT 14 registers after the cut scene. Exit the building and prepare for a confrontation. As Lara nears the broken bridge, a huge serpent rises from the water. It cannot be defeated with normal weapons. Instead, you must use the objects at hand to bring it down, while dodging its spitting attacks and staying away from its powerful jaws.

There are 4 levers and 4 huge cylindrical bells on little islands out in the pool. Each lever is just reachable with the magnetic grapple from the shore or the broken bridge. Grappling and pulling a lever causes a metal cage to drop from above. The goal is to shoot each of the bells repeatedly with pistols so the ringing sound will mesmerize the serpent. Then quickly holster guns, grapple the lever next to the bell and pull to drop the cage on the serpent's head. This must be done four times in all. Each time you succeed, the serpent destroys that particular bell and cage and loses a fourth of its health.

Simpler said than done, naturally. Below are some tips, in no particular order, which will hopefully make things easier. If you have other suggestions, I welcome them.

BUG WARNING: There is a bug here, in which one or more of the cages get stuck and won't drop when you pull the corresponding levers. Eidos Interactive has an official support page on this issue here >> http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=557&nav=0 . Apparently this bug is triggered if the player attempts to grapple the lever at the precise moment that the cage reaches its highest possible position. If that occurs, it then becomes impossible to pull the lever again.

PREVENTION: So in order to prevent triggering the bug, do not grapple any of the levers levers before entering the tomb and once you're in the midst of the serpent battle, do not press the grapple key repeatedly.

SOLUTION: If you've already encountered the bug, you'll need to reload an earlier save made before the point where you triggered the bug, whether that was before entering the tomb or before the serpent sequence.Then replay the area following the 'prevention' tips in the previous paragraph.

Finally, one player suggested using the Action Replay Max cheats disc for the PS2. Apparently the 'Debug Level Select' option on this codes disc fixes this glitch in the game. I have not used this myself so I cannot guarantee it will work. In any case, I would not recommend buying it just to fix the bug, but if you already have an Action Replay, you could give it a shot.

Unfortunatly for me, I had to start my game all over again because none of these solutions were of any use to me. So if the info above isn't helpful then im sorry, but you will have to start again and DON'T PULL THE LEVERS UNTIL THE BOSS BATTLE!

I hope this information helped. ;)

Larry_Croft
10th Feb 2008, 05:54
I encountered a slightly different issue during my Serpent fight. I first activated the bell/cage combo at the front right, then I went to the front left. After the serpent was mesmerized and I pulled the lever, the cage would would fall, but would miss the serpent. I would re-mesmerize the serpent and try again.

After three times of the front left cage missing, I went and did the back two next, successfully. Then I left the front left for last and it worked. Bizarre. It was as if the Serpent was not in the "right" spot the first attempt and by making it move to the back, then front again, it was able to "align" itself correctly. To be killed. :cool:

dizzikittenlove
28th Feb 2008, 17:44
hmm...weird. probably a glitch.

#1 tomb raider fan
19th Aug 2008, 20:17
you should probably try walking to the right more

Callum Croft
20th Sep 2008, 17:03
It happend to me 1 time, but then i shot at a different bell thingy and the cage dropped:rasp: :rasp: :rasp: :rasp: :rasp: :rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

andrew90
20th Sep 2008, 17:41
What key puts my guns away?

go to options-controls and there you should see! hope it helps!

tomb6712
28th Oct 2008, 22:40
first get to the last cage at the left i had the same problem but when you grapple it the rest of the other cages wont be stuck but after that get lara near the hook

emzee
3rd Nov 2008, 08:59
All you need to do if face the camera toward the silver turning wheel thingy. Good luck.:)

AniaCz
11th Nov 2008, 02:37
Hiya,

yes I also have probs with dropping even a single cage and I disagree that the monster is blind - it spits the fire at me pretty precisely even when I nearly walk on my toes! Also whenever I take out my guns the aim point shows up and automatically aims at the monster instead of the bell, it's really hard to deal with all these buttons to jump between! I'm afraid I encountered a fault in the game, and so I am looking for someone who could share their save game with me please. I tried to download one from Stella's site unfortunately it doesn't work on my comp, perhaps because I have an aussie PC version? anyway I'd like to try another version if anyone is willing to share?

Big thanks,
Ania

heller4u
11th Nov 2008, 02:50
I just set my camer angel so that it was only showing the lever I wanted to grapple.:D

Hope I helped!:nut:

kincharbamin
4th Dec 2008, 01:06
How truly sad that an otherwise wonderful experience has to be ruind by poor programming. I have been having an absolute blast playing this game (as I have every other Tomb Raider Game) up until this point.

It just really sucks that they had to:
1) Put such a poorly thought out challenge in the game.
2) Fail to test it properly before the cursed thing went out.****

After realizing that I was not going to get one of the cages to drop (because of a bug); I went back a few loads and got back to the ugly sea snake. I then wasted the next several evenings trying to kill this thing, only to constanly have Lara either
a) Target the serpent instead of the towers or
b) Toss the grappel at the wrong thing.

What a waste of time. I could have been playing Rock Band! :mad2:

I finally gave up. It was just making me to too angry, and it's just a silly game and certainly not worth getting angry over. I'll take the game back and trade it in for something else. I won't even waste my friends time by trading out with them.

It's truly unfortunate because I was really looking forward to playing underworld but I will not waste my money and risk being disappointed again.

I love you Lara, I have for many, many, many years enjoyed watching your cute bottom in those shorts shorts as it bounced around the many different systems I've played you on, but never again. Your creators have ruined my experence with you forever.

Farewell my love.
Adios Eidos.

_Love2Raid_
4th Dec 2008, 21:17
The Sea Serpent can be a real pain I know, but did you use the camera to make Lara look at the thing she should be grappling and were you close enough?
Ah well, I am not doubting your skills, it's a common bug.

Too bad though, you will miss out on a lot of great stuff if you decide not to play TRU :( ..........just saying.......... :whistle:

cirly_girly_1
14th Jun 2009, 23:03
hi.
2 put ur gun away press the key g

Lancestombraidersite
17th Feb 2011, 22:12
stellas site :)

mrskurtistrent
26th Mar 2012, 02:14
I know i had major difficulty with this also :/ i really don't know how to do it a certain way i just had to keep moving around until it focused on what i wanted :(

FAN OF TR
29th Jul 2013, 13:34
Well I am playing on PSP Tomb Raider Legend England a few times and for me there is no problem. Well the Pc players who is playing this game: did you tried patching?????????