PDA

View Full Version : Eidos confirms ‘10th Anniversary Edition’ of Tomb Raider

MissLara2U
16th Jun 2006, 16:04
Eidos Interactive, one of the world’s leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, confirms today that they are developing a special ‘10th Anniversary Edition’ of Tomb Raider.

The new game is being developed by Crystal Dynamics, who recently launched Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend on Xbox 360, PS2, Xbox, PC and PSP, with versions on Nintendo DS, GBA and GameCube later in 2006.

“Our ‘10th Anniversary Edition’ of Tomb Raider, is a one-off title to celebrate both Lara and Tomb Raider, it will appeal not only to the loyal fans of the Tomb Raider series but will also attract a totally new audience.” Said Larry Sparks, Head of Brands Management at Eidos.

Tomb Raider™ originally launched in 1996 and is still one of the best selling videogame franchises of all time, with over 30 million copies sold.

The special ‘10th Anniversary Edition’ of Tomb Raider will be available on PlayStation 2, PSP and PC.

StarChampagne
16th Jun 2006, 16:18
I know this won't appeal to everyone, but I would like to play it.

I never got very far on the original Tomb Raider :o Especially with the sound card issues I have, and I did attempt to sort it but still didn't quite work.

I'm very interested as to how this one will turn out... will it just be a cheap spin-off or will it recapture the glory?

susan
16th Jun 2006, 16:22
Thanks ML2U. :)

It is good news and we'll have to see how Crystal perform...

But at this stage I would rather the Core team have done the game. If I compare Legend to TR1/2, they just don't compare. Hopefully, they'll realise that and this time respect the source material more.

Personally I don't want to hear it from them how the old format was tired and what Core did wrong again. The fact that it's commercially viable to do this project completely NEGATES that old chestnut, hopefully once and for all.

No doubt however, someone will now step in and tell me how "Legend is how is it with games these days, and Crystal saved TR..." and so on.... ;) :D

Hurrah for diversity. :)

(Oh, and it doesn't say here but I keep hearing rumours of TR2 remake too. Can you imagine the Opera House, Wreck of Maria Dora and all those other underwater levels with upgraded graphics. :eek: It's too exciting! :D )

akamatt
16th Jun 2006, 16:35
Can't wait!

shirl123
16th Jun 2006, 16:53
will it just be a cheap spin-off or will it recapture the glory?

there's NO WAY it'll be as good as the original, unless it'll be as "revolutionary" as the first...and you all know it aint gonna happen. I'm guessing it's going to be more like a "tomb raider 1 - revisited".
this is a sad day...well, at least for moi.

thanks for the info anyway.

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 17:01
there's NO WAY it'll be as good as the original,

Especially not if you approach it with that attitude. (why are some people so determined not to enjoy this? And why is it "a sad day"? Just don't buy it if you don't want it. There are tons of games I'm not interested in, but I don't get depressed everytime they're released, I just ignore them.)

Anyway, um, why aren't they releasing this for the Xbox? Aren't Legend's Xbox sales doing quite well? I'd love to get this remake, but I know my PC won't be able to handle it.

shirl123
16th Jun 2006, 17:23
Especially not if you approach it with that attitude. (why are some people so determined not to enjoy this? And why is it "a sad day"? Just don't buy it if you don't want it. There are tons of games I'm not interested in, but I don't get depressed everytime they're released, I just ignore them.)

never said anything about buying it.
look, I'm usually not passmistic, quite the opposite most of the time... but I am a passimist this time.
we're talking about the original...being completly diffrent. don't be naive and tell me "but it's all about the praphics!" because it wont - it's the game that made the series, one of the best games ever created, THE best game in the series...why modifying it in any way?
wouldn't it be better if they just released TR 1-6 + gold levels in one pack?
maybe I do care too much about it, probably because I have some sentimental feelings for the original - I was 11 when I first got into it, and it was in 1997.

susan
16th Jun 2006, 17:24
Anyway, um, why aren't they releasing this for the Xbox? Aren't Legend's Xbox sales doing quite well? I'd love to get this remake, but I know my PC won't be able to handle it.It might have something to do with a previous deal with Sony. Remember how the early TR games were always PS exclusives? I know TR1 was on the Saturn too, but the use of TR1 may be tied up with Sony somehow still... :confused:

BlueSkiesXXV
16th Jun 2006, 17:29
BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Nice One :thumbsup:

Nerevar
16th Jun 2006, 17:43
That "confirmation" was hardly unexpected for a listed company already having announced the development of that product...

But interesting to see it will also be available for the PC. Thanks for posting the news MissLara2U.

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 17:47
never said anything about buying it.

But if you're not buying it, why are you sad about it? You can still play the original. It's not like after they release the new one, Eidos will send armed men to your house to take away all your old CD-ROMs.

we're talking about the original...being completly diffrent. don't be naive and tell me "but it's all about the praphics!" because it wont - it's the game that made the series, one of the best games ever created, THE best game in the series...why modifying it in any way?

Better question-- why not modify it? Like I said, you can still play the original. This will offer a new look at that game for people who want to experience it again with current technology. I know it's not all about the graphics, but I certainly have nothing against seeing the original with better graphics (also, TR1 had GREAT graphics for its time, and I think that certainly helped make it so immersive, so it is at least partly about the graphics.)

wouldn't it be better if they just released TR 1-6 + gold levels in one pack?

That would be a waste. Most of us already have those games, or we could buy them on Ebay. What would really be the sense in just rereleasing stuff we already own and played? But releasing a new version of TR1 offers us something we don't already have.

maybe I do care too much about it, probably because I have some sentimental feelings for the original - I was 11 when I first got into it, and it was in 1997.

Hey, I love TR, too, don't get me wrong. I got in 1997, and played it quite a bit throughout that summer (I had just finished college, and was on that brink between college and the real world.) But nobody is erasing my memories of that game, and nobody is saying I can't play it again whenever I want. So I don't see this remake as detracting from TR, I see it as adding to it.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 17:49
Good, it's definately coming to PC then.

I have a PS2 (not a PSP) but honestly if I wanted to buy the PS2 version I'd have gotten the PS2 version of Legends. PS2 is much inferior hardware-wise to my PC, and plus, I've always played Tomb Raider games on the PC. I see no reason to change that now :D

Hopefully they'll get this out in November (6th I think?) to meet the anniversary date :)

Anyway, um, why aren't they releasing this for the Xbox? Aren't Legend's Xbox sales doing quite well? I'd love to get this remake, but I know my PC won't be able to handle it.

I definately agree. It kind of makes me sad how many people hate Crystal Dynamics.

It's funny because the same day I bought Legend I also picked up Heroes of Might & Magic V - ironically ALSO a game being developed by someone other than the original creators (3DO is now defunct and Ubisoft bought the franchise). It's the same thing there - "Ubisoft ruined our Heroes of Might & Magic series!!!!" Whereas, aside from several bugs (which will be fixed eventually) I found the game quite fun.

Same thing here. I love TR: Legend. Sure it has some issues - in particular the shear number of human enemies and the length of the game. But these are not things that CD can't work out for future titles. I mean, cut them some slack, this was their first Tomb Raider game and it was *good*. If there is something you don't like about it, give them a chance to fix that in the next one. If they don't, *then* complain.

Anyways, as for the lack of Xbox support I was wondering that myself. But I suspect the reason for this is that Tomb Raider (the original) debuted on PC and PSX, so since this is an "Anniversary Edition" they are releasing it for those same platforms (once removed for PS2 of course - and PSP is Sony-owned). Capcom did the same with the Mega Man Anniversary Edition (released for GameCube and PS2 - since all those classic MM games were originally on Nintendo and Sony systems). But they *did* eventually make an Xbox version of that so who knows.

Verios
16th Jun 2006, 17:51
I'm curious to know exactly how long the original TR will actualy be if CD keeps all of Lara's spiffy new moves from TR:L

susan
16th Jun 2006, 18:01
Hey, I love TR, too, don't get me wrong. I got in 1997, and played it quite a bit throughout that summer (I had just finished college, and was on that brink between college and the real world.) But nobody is erasing my memories of that game, and nobody is saying I can't play it again whenever I want. So I don't see this remake as detracting from TR, I see it as adding to it.I think what shirl (and correct me if I'm wrong shirl123) is trying to say is that when you think something is really great, you want other people to experience that greatness too. And once an updated version of TR1 is released, it will be most unlikely that any newcomer to the series will pick up the old TR1 in favour of the remade one.

So, if the remake is not as good as the first one they'll never know, and they'll never realize its true greatness...as such. :D

It's like people who get annoyed when cover versions of classic songs are released, and they know the old version is better.

Unfortunately though, what can you do shirl123? Time moves on.

I just hope Crystal remember to make every part of the game interactive like it is in the original, so that you can clamber up rocks and take false routes, and get lost, lost, lost (edit: Although not that I'll be getting lost I guess, I know this game too much, lol :D ). No painting backdrops for Lara to walk past this time please. :)

Nerevar
16th Jun 2006, 18:04
Better question-- why not modify it?
Because there's already far too many abysmal attempts at reviving or purportedly refining chefs-d'oeuvre, the majority resulting in sacrilegious transmogrifications? Twenty dactylographic monkeys could theoretically retype or even improve upon a Shakespearean play, but quite generally they just print out gibberish.

Acceber
16th Jun 2006, 18:25
BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Nice One :thumbsup:

Seconded. :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how it turns out. :cool:

shirl123
16th Jun 2006, 18:27
Because there's already far too many abysmal attempts at reviving or purportedly refining chefs-d'oeuvre, the majority resulting in sacrilegious transmogrifications? Twenty dactylographic monkeys could theoretically retype or even improve upon a Shakespearean play, but quite generally they just print out gibberish.

that's in interesting way to put it...I agree.

Susan- thanks for clearing it up. I guess this is mostly for the NEW audience? :scratch:

mangar, it's going to be FAR from the original, and it bothers me...
besides, the "big pack" worked for the Command & Conquer series :thumbsup: I'm not sure if it would be such a waste here.

kksmith - actually, I LOVED TR Legend! I always believed in CD, even when most of the others were "upset" about it. this is why I said earlier that I'm usually not a passmist.

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 18:48
mangar, it's going to be FAR from the original, and it bothers me...

Oh ok. I didn't know they already released such details about it (to be honest, this report is the first time I'm really hearing anything official about it), so I was just trying to be open-minded and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they might do a good remake.

But since you already have inside information that they're really going to screw it up, then I can see why you're not happy about it. Could you please tell us more details about how it's going to differ from the original? I think most of us here are curious. What specific changes are they making? Will it have different levels? Are they adding different types of enemies?

shirl123
16th Jun 2006, 18:53

oh, c'mon! that was low.

use your LOGIC sense. what are the chances that it'll be exactly the same?
nada. well, nada as long as they want it to be "up to date" [since some people think that almost everything in TR1 is "too old"]...and this is what they want to do.
they want to bring some new audience, not that I have a problem with that, but when it comes to a remake it means that the puzzles/controls/whatever will be changed.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 19:06
oh, c'mon! that was low.

nada. well, nada as long as they want it to be "up to date" [since some people think that almost everything in TR1 is "too old"]...and this is what they want to do.
they want to bring some new audience, not that I have a problem with that, but when it comes to a remake it means that the puzzles/controls/whatever will be changed.

I hope it's not personally. I want to be similar yes, but even the original TR had its share of issues (control is a big one - I like Legend's control scheme a lot better).

People have said this before, but I think if you look at Metroid: Zero Mission, that's a perfect example of what a remake should be. I hope this remake is something along those lines - and by that I mean, take the basic level layout/design, then make some tweaks to it (new puzzles, etc) but not so many that it is not recognizable. You take the basic gameplay concepts (all the guns she got in that game, what she had to collect, etc) and keep those, but maybe add or improve on it. Take the basic story, but maybe flesh it out with more cutscenes or something.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying completely change the game, I just hope they "update" more than just the graphics is all.

blincoln
16th Jun 2006, 19:47
This is excellent news. I never thought I'd pre-order a TR game, but this will be the second =).

enoch
16th Jun 2006, 19:51
Haven´t read all the posts so maybe this is inapropriate; any info on the release date of the anniversary version?

BloodRayne
16th Jun 2006, 20:11
I haven't read the posts either.
But i'm really excited for this :)
so this will have like legend PS2 graphics?
and also legend's controls?

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 20:12

I certainly hope it's NOT exactly the same! What would be the sense in that? I already solved TR1, why should I replay it just because they're making it with prettier graphics? Like you said, it's not all about the graphics. What I'm hoping is that they'll take the story and spirit of TR1, and while the levels will be similar, I'm hoping they branch out and offer a NEW experience, not a rehash. For example, Lara has lots of moves now that she didn't have in TR1, so the levels should be redesigned to take advantage of those moves. And I want more puzzle-types, not just crate pushing. Legend has some interesting physics based puzzles-- maybe something like those could be incorporated into the remake.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 20:17
I certainly hope it's NOT exactly the same! What would be the sense in that? I already solved TR1, why should I replay it just because they're making it with prettier graphics? Like you said, it's not all about the graphics. What I'm hoping is that they'll take the story and spirit of TR1, and while the levels will be similar, I'm hoping they branch out and offer a NEW experience, not a rehash. For example, Lara has lots of moves now that she didn't have in TR1, so the levels should be redesigned to take advantage of those moves. And I want more puzzle-types, not just crate pushing. Legend has some interesting physics based puzzles-- maybe something like those could be incorporated into the remake.

Exactly, that's what I'm hoping for too.

susan
16th Jun 2006, 20:24
Legend has some interesting physics based puzzles--Excuse me Mangar, there are hardly any and they are nothing to get excited about. :)

My thoughts anyway.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 20:34
Excuse me Mangar, there are hardly any and they are nothing to get excited about. :)

My thoughts anyway.

The see-saw in Bolivia isn't an interesting physics puzzle? Or the box/balance puzzle near the end of Nepal?

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 20:48
Excuse me Mangar, there are hardly any and they are nothing to get excited about. :)

My thoughts anyway.

Well, I only played the demo, but even in just the demo there were a couple of puzzles that went beyond what TR1 could handle. The see-saw puzzle, for one, and also the one in which you had to drop a boulder onto a branch to tip the branch and make a swinging post. If they could incorporate a few things like that into the remake of TR1, it would freshen things up a bit. I guess my point is, I want them to expand upon the original game by using the capabilities of the current technology (as great as the original game was and still is, the current engine is an improvement. So I think combining this new engine with the old levels could be great if they do it properly.)

susan
16th Jun 2006, 20:50
The see-saw in Bolivia isn't an interesting physics puzzle? Or the box/balance puzzle near the end of Nepal?I can't speak for you, but for me they're nothing special.

They weren't in any way difficult or unobvious. The box/balance puzzle is a similar concept to the waterbag/weight/scale puzzle from TR4.

The see-saw concept is so obvious and easy. It's a combo move box and bounce on this square in the right way. Calling it a physics puzzle dresses up it up to sound more impressive that's all. Bouncing on the square floor panels in TR2 to access higher areas are as much physics puzzles as that is - angles, trajectories and weights again.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 20:54
I can't speak for you, but for me they're nothing special.

They weren't in any way difficult or unobvious. The box/balance puzzle is a similar concept to the waterbag/weight/scale puzzle from TR4.

The see-saw concept is so obvious and easy. It's a combo move box and bounce on this square in the right way. Calling it a physics puzzle dresses up it up to sound more impressive that's all. Bouncing on the square floor panels in TR2 to access higher areas are as much physics puzzles as that is - angles, trajectories and weights again.

Well what were you expecting? The see-saw is about as much of a "physics puzzle" as you can get. Namely in that it's a lever that takes into account the weight of the objects on each end and propels them in the air according to gravity. And I'd hardly call the insane jumps Lara can perform in TR2 "physics" (unless this is physics on the moon :P)

Personally I will take the puzzles of Legend over the "push block A to area B" puzzles of TR1 any day :P

Mangar The Dark
16th Jun 2006, 20:58
The see-saw concept is so obvious and easy. It's a combo move box and bounce on this square in the right way. Calling it a physics puzzle dresses up it up to sound more impressive that's all.

Ok, admittedly, "physics-based" was the wrong term. Sorry. I just want to see more puzzle variety in the remake. That's all.

susan
16th Jun 2006, 21:03
Well, I only played the demo, but even in just the demo there were a couple of puzzles that went beyond what TR1 could handle. The see-saw puzzle, for one, and also the one in which you had to drop a boulder onto a branch to tip the branch and make a swinging post. If they could incorporate a few things like that into the remake of TR1, it would freshen things up a bit. I guess my point is, I want them to expand upon the original game by using the capabilities of the current technology (as great as the original game was and still is, the current engine is an improvement. So I think combining this new engine with the old levels could be great if they do it properly.)I know what you're saying Mangar, but you also said:
And I want more puzzle-types, not just crate pushing. Legend has some interesting physics based puzzles-- My point is that they're nothing we haven't seen before, even moving the branch is about moving a block, nevermind the see-saw and the weights one.

(Edit: Just seen your next response, cool, I agree lets see some new things in the remake to make it fun for us old players. Just hope they keep the focus on what made it fun in the first place as well. :) )

Well what were you expecting? The see-saw is about as much of a "physics puzzle" as you can get. Namely in that it's a lever that takes into account the weight of the objects on each end and propels them in the air according to gravity. And I'd hardly call the insane jumps Lara can perform in TR2 "physics" (unless this is physics on the moon :P)

Personally I will take the puzzles of Legend over the "push block A to area B" puzzles of TR1 any day :PI wasn't expecting anything thanks. I was speaking in a specific context to Mangar in response to his comments about Legend. These puzzles are nothing beyond what we've seen before. See above answer re: block pushing.

If you like them, then fine. But don't try to quarrel with me about it.

Mainboard
16th Jun 2006, 21:14
I will be picking it up for the PSP, but I really wish it was being released on the Xbox 360. Any chance the 10th Anniversary TR could at least make it on the xbox Live marketplace for download? I love the TR series and will support it in any case, but I really want to focus on my 360 and later on this year the Wii.

dhama
16th Jun 2006, 21:15
Ok, admittedly, "physics-based" was the wrong term. Sorry. I just want to see more puzzle variety in the remake. That's all.

Awwww.... bless'im. :lol:

Johnny
16th Jun 2006, 21:24
This is so exciting!!! :D Will the remake take advantage of the Legend graphics engine?? Thank you for the news and of course a big thanks to Eidos! :thumbsup:

StarChampagne
16th Jun 2006, 22:40
This is an interesting discussion :)

Making TR1 exactly as it was wouldn't necessarily be such a good idea, but neither would drastically changing it. I think CD has to be very careful. On one hand it would be nice to see an updated version, on the other, this is sacred stuff they're playing with. It would be nice to see some more puzzles, but I infinitely preferred the ones in Last Revelation to the 'physics-based' ones in Legend. Like, for example, Senet. I'm not quite sure how you could incorporate something like that into the storyline, and neither am I suggesting they do, but that was what I enjoyed the most. TR1 was amazing and while I'd enjoy a fresh remake, I hope they don't ruin a classic!

Treeble
16th Jun 2006, 23:07
Why there is no GameCube version listed? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :rolleyes:

Sophia Leigh
16th Jun 2006, 23:14
What I really want to know is when are those of us who missed out on seeing the banned trailer going to get to see it now that its "official"?

BloodRayne
17th Jun 2006, 00:31
The trailer is still on the net....

kksmith
17th Jun 2006, 00:32
What I really want to know is when are those of us who missed out on seeing the banned trailer going to get to see it now that its "official"?

Just do a search on youtube.com or something. It's really not hard to find :)

TRBeth
17th Jun 2006, 01:17
But since you already have inside information that they're really going to screw it up, then I can see why you're not happy about it.

rotflmao!

I am looking forward to it, even if Eidos did mess with CORE once again and cancel the remake they were working on.

Sophia Leigh
17th Jun 2006, 03:28
Thank you to my friends who offered to send/sent the trailer to me ;) All I can say is "wow" after seeing it, I was sceptical at first but I'd actually be interested to play this new version :)

Mangar The Dark
17th Jun 2006, 04:19
Making TR1 exactly as it was wouldn't necessarily be such a good idea, but neither would drastically changing it. I think CD has to be very careful. On one hand it would be nice to see an updated version, on the other, this is sacred stuff they're playing with.

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. Regardless of what they do, I can guarantee this board will be filled with some people saying "Holy Crap!!! It's awesome!!!" and others saying, "Dammit!!!! This is blasphemy!! They ruined Tomb Raider!" I hope they keep the general idea of each level the same, but that they vary them a bit. For example, "The Lost Valley" should involve finding the cogs, and it should NOT be linear. But maybe retrieving those cogs will involve some new moves. Maybe, for example, Lara needs to climb the side of that canyon (which is something she was incapable of doing in TR1.)

It would be nice to see some more puzzles, but I infinitely preferred the ones in Last Revelation to the 'physics-based' ones in Legend.

I agree-- Last Revelation had some awesome puzzles. (I'm never going to live down that "physics-based" comment, am I? Sorry, I read the term in a magazine review, in which they were praising the ingenuity of Legend's "physics-based" puzzles.)

Like, for example, Senet. I'm not quite sure how you could incorporate something like that into the storyline, and neither am I suggesting they do, but that was what I enjoyed the most.

Yeah, something totally out of the ordinary like that would be cool, but I wouldn't count on it. At best, maybe we'll get something comparable to the Bull puzzle, or the Planets puzzle from Last Revelation.

In a way, I'm more curious about this TR game than I was about Legend. I guess it's because I know the original TR so well, and it will be interesting to see someone else's spin on it.

EDIT-- Okay, just got around to watching the trailer. Yep, they definitely did vary things! I see they have Lara spinning on poles and doing some grappling moves that she couldn't do in the original. This, for me, is good news. It means they ARE taking the classic levels and adding new elements to them, so it should still feel fresh even for those of us who have played the original a few times through to completion.

Joshorty
17th Jun 2006, 04:38
This news is such a bomb:D now there's goin' to be bursting threads on what's goin' to happen on this game. Although a remake may not reach the same potential (or maybe will) as the original, it's still worth the play out ye know:D

aussie500
17th Jun 2006, 04:48
Well l have no doubt Crystal Dynamics could make an absolutely fantastic game if they chose to, but it is this part of that announcement that worries me "will also attract a totally new audience" Precisely how are Crystal Dynamics planning on doing that, l want a game that will appeal to the loyal Tomb Raider fans, not some dumbed down version with hints every five seconds for the newbies. l do not care if it looks a million dollars, if the game play is not at least equal to the original l will not be buying it.
That said l am sure they can manage to update not only the graphics but the way the game plays as well and still stay faithfull to the original. Afterall the Core version had the addition of the pole swinging, auto grab, capability to aim at two targets at once and an updated AI for the enemies (the T-Rex attacking the Raptor) and it looked pretty good to me, hopefully the Crystal Dynamics version will as well The updating of the graphics alone is going to mean some changes to what we have to do to solve certain puzzles for example we might not just be looking for cogs this time. but perhaps something slighly different to get the machinery going, since the machinery will be much more complex. The enemies will probably be a bit harder to defeat, although l am sure they will still leave the favourite hidey hole for us chickens in the Lost Valley level, if not well we will just have to run around shooting, will not kill us (to many times) Also some ledges and platforms that were rock solid in the original might not necesarily be so with the updates possible, they could be timed now. Perhaps some sequences where we only saw an FMV in the original could now be a playable part of the game. And remember Toby Gard will be in charge of this remake, and who better than one of Tomb Raiders original creators to do the remake. Perhaps he had a few ideas he wanted to put in the original but due to constraints on the original engine and graphics at the time could not use, so we could see a few completely new things in the remake as well.

Mangar The Dark
17th Jun 2006, 04:48
Although a remake may not reach the same potential (or maybe will) as the original, it's still worth the play out ye know:D

Yeah. Oddly enough, I don't think it's fair for us to even compare the remake and the original. The original was, after all, the one that started it all. It introduced us to Lara. It introduced us to the TR style of gameplay that would live on for ten years and counting. It was really the first time I ever experienced a game like it, and spawned a bunch of copy cats. The remake obviously isn't attempting to do any of these things. It's not introducing a new hero or a new style of gameplay or anything. It's merely polishing up an old gem. So I think to compare them directly isn't quite fair. But if we judge it based soley on what it DOES try to do, I think it could be very interesting.

midroth
17th Jun 2006, 04:57
Hello, Hurray!

I would like to eat this cooky..! :D

I hope she climbs like a human this time. That's vital!

Joshorty
17th Jun 2006, 05:11
Exactly. And as a fan, I'd still definently buy this and the sequel to Legends even:) but for now, this is my main target:)

dufflover
17th Jun 2006, 05:38
Maybe they're getting more practice at level and puzzle making to produce a good TR8/Legend sequel ;) .

I haven't played TR1 before and I enjoyed Legend a lot (granted the common problems of length and stuff as discussed), but in general I reckon it's a bold step for anyone to remake an old game, unless it is profoundly different/unrecognisable as the old game. As said it doesn't have to go out there and break new ground or anything like that, but still has to be enough for even old fans to buy. Half-Life source was pretty dud-ish but Doom III was not.

It's a wait and see...
They're "rolling the dice" but I just hope whatever happens here doesn't affect any TR8 plans.

GoranAgar
17th Jun 2006, 09:15
That is wonderful news. :thumbsup:

StarChampagne
17th Jun 2006, 10:01
(I'm never going to live down that "physics-based" comment, am I? Sorry, I read the term in a magazine review, in which they were praising the ingenuity of Legend's "physics-based" puzzles.)

I read that in a magazine too. They are 'physics-based' because it relies on Lara's weight and force being enough to catapault that box into the air and onto the ledge. It may not seem particularly exciting, but it would use momentum and forces and things, so I think it's fair to say they're physics-based.

I can't wait to see the remake - then we'll undoubtably spend a long time comparing the two, and commenting on what they've changed, etc.

They will probably have Mr Gard working on this one, won't they? Sorry if it's been said before but I haven't come across it. It would be nice to think that they would employ a couple of the old team to make sure the remake still retains some of the old magic, or would they just use the CD team?

Oh... and I hope they don't alter the soundtrack too much. Update it, maybe, but I hope the original tracks stay mostly the same! Especially the 'Lara theme' :)

-Dizzy-
17th Jun 2006, 12:13
OMFG This is great :D :D :D :D :D

*hugs PS2*

Best news I've heard all year. This game can't come soon enough.

Thank you Eidos for giving the fans what they have always wanted.

Isaac
17th Jun 2006, 12:56
I watched the trailer and...what to say. It's so so. Well, using the «Star Wars» music wasn't the best thing to do, or it's only me who hear it...

I mean, yeah, the graphics are great, but Lara's walking and shooting movements are the same of TR1-TR5, she's running like a robbot and her face, we see a little bit of it and...well, it's not really beautiful, if they can use the same «running, shooting» style than TRL and the same face, it would be better because in the trailer...well, whatever.

John Carter
17th Jun 2006, 13:17
I watched the trailer and...what to say. It's so so. Well, using the «Star Wars» music wasn't the best thing to do, or it's only me who hear it...

I mean, yeah, the graphics are great, but Lara's walking and shooting movements are the same of TR1-TR5, she's running like a robbot and her face, we see a little bit of it and...well, it's not really beautiful, if they can use the same «running, shooting» style than TRL and the same face, it would be better because in the trailer...well, whatever.

I believe you are describing trailer of the cancelled Core Design effort. We haven't seen any media at all of this new Eidos/CD item.

midroth
17th Jun 2006, 14:35
That is wonderful news. :thumbsup:
Sometimes I like what he say... :D

Joshorty
17th Jun 2006, 15:05
Couldn't agree more:D

susan
17th Jun 2006, 17:08
Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark
(I'm never going to live down that "physics-based" comment, am I? Sorry, I read the term in a magazine review, in which they were praising the ingenuity of Legend's "physics-based" puzzles.)
Lol, Mangar, they are physics based. :D This is what I said:

My point was about dressing it up to sound more impressive. They're as physics based as burning a rope suspending a large boulder so it falls to the ground... And shoring up a subsiding floor with a pillar to steady it... and lara jumping over fluctuating spikes...manipulating mirrors to direct beams of light...and so on.

Perhaps what they're trying to say is they've (in places) mimicked real-world parameters, ie, Lara's actual weight in the see-saw puzzle. We'll have to take their word on that...But that fact doesn't make it any more or less physics-based than the others.

And, doesn't make it better gameplay necessarily - as they know themselves...er, the grapple for starters... :whistle: :whistle:

TRBeth
18th Jun 2006, 00:31
If anyone is still unconvinced how much fans still love the original game, then please review all of the Tomb Raiders forums on the Internet where you will see mostly complaining about why Legend deviated so much from the original.

This is a good move on Eidos part. It is what the fans want, and it is appropriate since this game will soon be 10 yrs old. If CD keeps to the original story and levels, as seen in the recent CORE trailer circulating in the internet, then I am very confident that the remake will be a real success. The key is keeping true to the original. All of the characteristics that are Legend-ish needs to stay off this game. But even going back to a more "traditional" Lara would be good as well.

As for Lara, the current Lara with the traditional garb and hairstyle will work well for me and most fans.

BloodRayne
18th Jun 2006, 01:45
I guess if this is aimed for a november release date, then we don't have to wait too long :)

Joshorty
18th Jun 2006, 04:18
Any delays would kinda break that 10 years thing...I hope there's no unexpected delays (say did Crystal Dynamics already started on this project ever since or had they like just started:confused: )

aussie500
18th Jun 2006, 07:55
l have a suspicion they were planning on doing this ever since Toby Gard joined the team and helped rewrite the Legend story line. Which would possibly explain how we ended up with both Core Design and Crystal Dynamics doing the same project. So they could have started this much earlier than first thought. Unfortunately only one can be released, so Core's version was cancelled. Although it would have been nice if Core had been given the opportunity to make amends for the AOD debacle and bow out of the franchise on a high note, l am sure there were good reasons to go with the Crystal Dynamics remake.

dufflover
18th Jun 2006, 13:29
say did Crystal Dynamics already started on this project ever since or had they like just started:confused:

It's impossible for them to just have started....otherwise we'd be looking at a very $#!^ game. They probably started this early last year or something cos even games with already-established engines take min. 2 years. Ofcourse there's no new story design work to be done (nothing major anyway) so it does help but still a lot of work to do.

Joshorty
18th Jun 2006, 19:58
With that said..how are they gonna finish this project with this amount of time:confused: I know it's probably still possible but is it:confused:

burt_ie
18th Jun 2006, 20:27

:D i agree

Treeble
18th Jun 2006, 20:40
how are they gonna finish this project with this amount of time:confused:

If they are going to use Legend's engine, all they have to do is to rebuild the levels based on the old designs. It's 5-6 months, probably should be enough time, depending on what they already have etc. :confused:

Joshorty
19th Jun 2006, 00:45
Sounds pacing...

dufflover
19th Jun 2006, 01:38
Nah more than 5 to 6 months (unless it's like non-stop or lazily done like Half-Life source).
You gotta build all the level polygons, textures, scripts, graphical effects, and maybe even the voice work. Also standard month or two of testing :) .

When the first screenshots are released we'll finally see what's going on.

Joshorty
19th Jun 2006, 01:50
Wow...but now hearing that gets me worried ....but I guess I can trust that they'll finish it (and now people is sayin' it might be released on Sep. 29th - why that date/expectation:scratch: ? The earlier the better though:D )

kksmith
20th Jun 2006, 14:15
Nah more than 5 to 6 months (unless it's like non-stop or lazily done like Half-Life source).
You gotta build all the level polygons, textures, scripts, graphical effects, and maybe even the voice work. Also standard month or two of testing :) .

When the first screenshots are released we'll finally see what's going on.

This is where they might be able to re-use some of Core's work though (it *was* 80% complete). That might save them some time. But then again, they could have been working on this awhile. So who knows.

But you're right, when we see some screenshots we can see how far along this is.

exmachinad
20th Jun 2006, 15:20
No doubt however, someone will now step in and tell me how "Legend is how is it with games these days, and Crystal saved TR..." and so on...

Well, if you don't want, maybe I won't tell you. :D

But after Chronicles and AoD, IMHO,it is absolutely true. :cool:

Otherwise, we just wouldn't have Lara around anymore.

susan
20th Jun 2006, 21:31
Well, if you don't want, maybe I won't tell you. :D

But after Chronicles and AoD, IMHO,it is absolutely true. :cool:

Otherwise, we just wouldn't have Lara around anymore.In your opinion. Which everyone is entitled to have. ;) :thumbsup:

Do let's NOT go there. I find even a logical argument about these things NEVER convinces either side differently from what they previously thought. Always, always pointless waste of time. :D

smlaci
23rd Jun 2006, 14:38
OMFG This is great :D :D :D :D :D

*hugs PS2*

Best news I've heard all year. This game can't come soon enough.

that's right.
best news this year
but then again that how i got my hopes up high for legend and the fall was painfull...

hbic3
24th Jun 2006, 15:28
Why Eidos has NOTHING about this 10th anniversary game on it's home site? And why would CORE design have said it had been canceled. CORE has nothing to do with TR anymore, so how the bleep would they know?

I can't find anything other than in these forums, on the Eidos site that confirms a remake of any TR, or any Anniversary addition thereof...
Can someone point me to a link on Eidos's site that confirms it?

Thanks

winston
25th Jun 2006, 20:19
Wow this sounds brilliant! Im glad to hear it is going to be available on the PS2 not just PC. I will definitely get it. I hope it is not just going to be a remake of TR1, that would be pointless i think.

Edit: Just seen the trailer, and... wow! I think it looks amazing! Old tomb raider meets new, with all the new moves plus familiar scenes from the older games!

But just one question. I might be missing something, but why has it got Core Design on it? Will they be making it, or Crystal?:scratch:

Edit again- don't worry, ive read another thread and i know now:p Roll on November!

aussie500
26th Jun 2006, 01:02
Why Eidos has NOTHING about this 10th anniversary game on it's home site? And why would CORE design have said it had been canceled. CORE has nothing to do with TR anymore, so how the bleep would they know?

I can't find anything other than in these forums, on the Eidos site that confirms a remake of any TR, or any Anniversary addition thereof...
Can someone point me to a link on Eidos's site that confirms it?

Thanks

Whats this you do not believe us!!! These are the Eidos forums after all if it was not true it would not last long, but just for you
http://corporate.sci.co.uk/Press_Releases/PressReleasesDetail.aspx?Press_Release_ID=222

And in case you missed it yes Eidos is now part of the SCi Entertainment group, which is why the corporate news is now on the SCi site

Rose662
26th Jun 2006, 02:52
I hope it's a stand-alone special adventure to celebrate the tenth anniversary; not a TR1 remake.

storm shadow
2nd Jul 2006, 20:28
LOL funny read here.
Everybody is talking about remake this, level that. Hahaha where's the proof? Who said what?
People can only guess because we as community don't have the information about that yet.
I "GUESS" that it will be a "Chronicals" type of story. But I hope it will capture the Magic Tomb Raider 1 had in a totally other storyline.
Be honest we don't want a remake of the Original. Remakes from original musicproductions aren't great in general either... Just leave it alone. If you want to play Tomb Raider Original in better graphics buy Glidos for it and use VDMSound and other packages to feel the magic again... http://www.glidos.net
If there is official proof than I will be the first to apologize!

dche
17th Jul 2006, 18:49
man there are sure a lot of sore core design fans out there.sure Core managed to make 7 TR games before but remember their last one is utter rubbish.and keep in mind AOD came out more or less the same time with PoP:The sands of time. if you compare of them, AOD sucks big time. now legends is more fluid and above all have a coherent story line and very nice characters models (no stubby fingers). in any case so what if they gonna make a remake.if they make it like legends (fluid movement,more story etc...)
they can count me in

WraithStar
17th Jul 2006, 19:35
If it's a faithful remake with better graphics, that'd be cool. If they're going to do a "remake" and change everything, I'd rather they just made a new game :)

Joshorty
17th Jul 2006, 23:54
man there are sure a lot of sore core design fans out there.sure Core managed to make 7 TR games before but remember their last one is utter rubbish.and keep in mind AOD came out more or less the same time with PoP:The sands of time. if you compare of them, AOD sucks big time. now legends is more fluid and above all have a coherent story line and very nice characters models (no stubby fingers). in any case so what if they gonna make a remake.if they make it like legends (fluid movement,more story etc...)
they can count me in
But AOD was treated unfairly:( ...I know someone brought an interesting article about how CORE was not given the enough time to brush up on the game 'cause EIDOS kinda..well...I'm too lazy to find the link on the other thread in tombraiderforums.com ...it's called EDGE MAGAZINE or sumthin'...

Treeble
18th Jul 2006, 01:13
It was posted here at Eidos boards, too. :)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=61395

Joshorty
18th Jul 2006, 03:33
Alright:D there you go

Dukati
5th Aug 2006, 02:18
Hi people I´m from Brasil.

I finished Legend, it´s wonderfull, graphics and engine rocks, but the game is too short, too linear, too hinted, and more shooting game than advernturer thing.

Here, we wait for Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary, and we want to explore, discover, collect and solve!, more than just kill mercenaries or run only to find bosses...

Maybe 10th Anniversary could be great like this, but with much more large, giant, huge levels!

And please, Brazilian Portuguese as one of the languages, or optionals to translate legends to Brazilian Portuguese...

Joshorty
5th Aug 2006, 04:32
I heay ya - I mean even I want to hear Lara speaking chinese and or japanese:D as in dub - it'd be kinda interesting...

ggctuk
10th Aug 2006, 21:01
Thanks ML2U. :)

It is good news and we'll have to see how Crystal perform...

But at this stage I would rather the Core team have done the game. If I compare Legend to TR1/2, they just don't compare. Hopefully, they'll realise that and this time respect the source material more.

Personally I don't want to hear it from them how the old format was tired and what Core did wrong again. The fact that it's commercially viable to do this project completely NEGATES that old chestnut, hopefully once and for all.

No doubt however, someone will now step in and tell me how "Legend is how is it with games these days, and Crystal saved TR..." and so on.... ;) :D

Hurrah for diversity. :)

(Oh, and it doesn't say here but I keep hearing rumours of TR2 remake too. Can you imagine the Opera House, Wreck of Maria Dora and all those other underwater levels with upgraded graphics. :eek: It's too exciting! :D )

AoD wasn't all Core's fault... they said they only had a year to do it and the budget for all six games was under half to what Legend got.

Core said Paris didn't fit in, and the boxing ring was where Lara was supposed to learn hand-to-hand. Tons of stuff was left out and as Core put it, AoD was "a shadow of what it was meant to be" so Eidos should give Core a share in on this project.

dulcetpurr
10th Aug 2006, 21:45
They did not only have a year to do it, they had 3.

At least that's what someone who seemed like they knew what they were talking about posted in another thread. :whistle:

enoch
12th Aug 2006, 15:24
AoD wasn't all Core's fault... they said they only had a year to do it and the budget for all six games was under half to what Legend got.

Core said Paris didn't fit in, and the boxing ring was where Lara was supposed to learn hand-to-hand. Tons of stuff was left out and as Core put it, AoD was "a shadow of what it was meant to be" so Eidos should give Core a share in on this project.

Where do you have that info from? If its from a magazine or a web site, could you please refer to it as I would like to know more about the background for failures of AOD. Personally, I found that title to have the potentially best story of all 7 TRs.

Treeble
12th Aug 2006, 16:16

At least that's what someone who seemed like they knew what they were talking about posted in another thread. :whistle:

In the special features of Tomb Raider Chronicles you can see the first trailer for Tomb Raider "Next Generation" back then, so yes, they had a lot more than just one year. Even if Angel Of Darkness resembled just barely that trailer, it was still the same project.

ggctuk
1st Sep 2006, 20:47

Heard about the one year thing from an interview thing in EDGE magazine. They interviewed Core. So... straight from the horse's mouth, they had one year!

Treeble
1st Sep 2006, 20:55
That's not counting up the inumerous delays, right?

Chris Daly
22nd Sep 2006, 14:08
I heay ya - I mean even I want to hear Lara speaking chinese and or japanese:D as in dub - it'd be kinda interesting...

You might be able to by using the upcoming PSP Talkman , but multilingual
gaming would not only be considerate but exciting too. :cool:

WraithStar
22nd Sep 2006, 15:26
Heard about the one year thing from an interview thing in EDGE magazine. They interviewed Core. So... straight from the horse's mouth, they had one year!

I believe what happened was that Core was given one year to make AOD. They rushed like hell but couldn't meet the deadline, so Eidos kept postponing the release date. In the end, Core got three years, but they couldn't recover from the poor planning and lack of a proper foundation that came from the first year of doing everything as quickly as possible without planning ahead.

Shrensh
22nd Sep 2006, 16:44
I am pissed off that it was released before it was finished, but I am also pissed off with Core's obvious incompetence. After three years the game should not have been the mess that it was.

If they knew that they didn't have enough time to make the game, they should not have made a new game engine from scratch, and they should not have been trying to put all sorts of rather pointless new stuff in the game (such as the strength upgrades).

Verios
22nd Sep 2006, 19:53

There's no way they only gave them a year to write a completely new engine..design all the art..figure out a story, etc.. I'm sadly going to have to call BS untill I see a scan of the magazine. It's just not a fesable amount of time for what they had to do.

Treeble
23rd Sep 2006, 00:37
I think that might be true, I mean, they were meant to release Tomb Raider: The Next Generation (working title for AOD) originally in 2001, just one year after Chronicles was released. That could mean they only had 1 year, but you and me and everyone else know they were working on that engine before working on Tomb Raider Chronicles - that's why TRC was such a short game and that's also why they've decided to release the old, outdated editor.

That's my theory, anyway. :rasp:

lhaymehr
15th Oct 2006, 16:17
I'd like to play a remake too, just to see how those legendary enviroments translate into modern tech. But there is something unexplainable for me in those old originals. Something about the 'rawness' of the tech that powered the game; polygons, textures, the sound of silence versus enviroment sounds, or maybe the stupid AI and their crude animations.

Because the old engine was so raw and minimal you had to put your immagination to work to make the world more real. And that worked. Todays games try to make the world more detailed by creating some generic solutions for the elements which could be rendered by your immagination in a much more personalized way.

Also, since i'm that kind of guy, sound makes a big role for me. Enemies that appear from nowhere and do not trigger some generic orchestral music when they attack, therefore leaving you just in the sound of them attacking and you defending yourself. The darknes, silence and the cold of the below-water shipwreck level where all you see is your oxygen meter. Or the first level in TR3 where all you hear is watter and yourself thinking.

I think it's about how the game is presented. Does it spell it out for you with sounds or images or does it just present you the art and leave you to interpret it in your own compiler :).

And somehow the word marketing springs to mind again. :(

burt_ie
16th Oct 2006, 12:26
I agree with you about the sounds.
I loved the silence and just the sound of water and your self thinnking.
It has a much more "real" feeling to it than having a musical loop playing in the backround.