PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use Real Tactics?

IronBrigade
14th Jun 2006, 04:38
Hello all, i've been playing for a year now but just joined the forums. I was wondering, do any of you use actual tactics? Not just formations, like arty in front, cav at the flanks and infantry rear, but maneuvers, such as flank attacks or envelopments? It's my one biggest gripe about IG; in the early 19th century, really until the American Civil War, land war was often like a chess game. Opposing commanders maneuvered units around the field trying to gain a position upon the enemy's flank, and when they did, as often as not the mere sight of opposing units commanding an army's flank induced the commander to retreat. Obviously some great battles were decided by mass charges or artillery barrages, but much of the time it was maneuver, maneuver, crack the flank, break their lines, and send in the cavalry to "convince" the enemy to withdraw. But in IG, I most of the time just wheel in arty, pound the enemy, then advance infantry supported by cavalry until the enemy is dead. No real tactics there, and it takes away some of the fun of the game. Anyone else actually use real tactics?

falcons1988
19th Jun 2006, 10:27
I do that when I am out numbered, I try and ambush them, hide cavalry, behind buildings on in woods etc. Then engage with my infantry, once in combat, send in my cavalry.

TobiasReiper
27th Jun 2006, 20:20
I'm more of a defensive player. at least 2 lines of regiments followed up by howitzers. 1st line Voltegiers, second Line or Grenadiers and at least 2 to 4 howitzer batteries. No Cavalry. The enemy attacks and I crush them with withering Artillery fire followed by long range musket fire. I ignore enemy guns until his infantry breaks, then Charge.

If I must attack, same formation, but stop outside of enemies range and harrass with Artillery(some shots will fall farther than max range and cause a few casualties). Then Charge my men forward at the double until they are in range and volley fire. Guns go forward and pound the enemies centre and charge where the enemies weak!

Simple, but effective. I am playing France after all.

Ninurta
7th Jul 2006, 12:24
Yes, I'd have to say I do.

I'm what you might call a "cost-efficient" player (insert: Tight Arsed Gimp) so I tend to play with rather less troops than my enemy, which means the use of maneuvering is a neccessity to inflict casualty.

Cavalry should be the most useful unit in maneuver warfare due to speed and power, but one of the most infuriating things is being unable to disengage cavalry from meele. Dragoons (and equivalents) are a god-send in this game.

General au France
2nd Sep 2006, 13:23
Probably everybody does! You can most often use line tactics, to best use yours gun power. Or it is possibly to fort in some house, and wait enemy to destroy it! They know your every move, so it difficult to use war tricks.

mongoose8
13th Sep 2006, 02:40
hey iron brigade we seem to have a mutual admiration:thumbsup:

DarknessofFate
17th Sep 2006, 06:50
Yes, I'd have to say I do.

I'm what you might call a "cost-efficient" player (insert: Tight Arsed Gimp) so I tend to play with rather less troops than my enemy, which means the use of maneuvering is a neccessity to inflict casualty.

Cavalry should be the most useful unit in maneuver warfare due to speed and power, but one of the most infuriating things is being unable to disengage cavalry from meele. Dragoons (and equivalents) are a god-send in this game.

Im not sure why peopel keep saying that. Try making a unit of cav/inf turn their back and fall back in reallife and youll get piles of dead men very qucikly. If there was a fighing retreat where they move back while facing and firing/striking at the enemy that would be a good feture.

Duke of Potsdam
9th Oct 2006, 05:09
I do utilize tactics in the game as much as possible because not doing so does take the fun out the game. One of the most basic things I do is use cavalry to screen my true movements. Use the cavalry to draw out the enemy while swinging my main body around to hit them from the side and flank them.

Field Marshal Berett
10th Oct 2006, 22:43
I am a thin red line man myself. The bulk of my Army stays atop a ridge with cannon spread thoughout the line. I use my riflemen or house hold cav to harrass the enemy as much as possible. Im what you might call a defensive General. If I have to be offinsive it is a column charge into the heart of the enemy line.

Usually 3 battlions abreast and as many deep as I can get. Followed by the guns to blast away while the men fight. You do not need overwhelming amounts of men to do this. You can do it with 3/4s of the enemys strength and win.

Marshall Thomas
11th Oct 2006, 07:45
I know that line formation is much better than colum when carrying out a ranged attack, but is this also true for melee attacks? For non-ranged attacks should I ever use line formation? Thanks in advance

Duke of Potsdam
11th Oct 2006, 12:58
If I have to be offinsive it is a column charge into the heart of the enemy line.

This is true marshal but you also have to be wary if you are flanked while doing this. The best thing to do in this situation is make sure ur guns soften their line up. If not then the charge is lost.