PDA

View Full Version : Save points?

Glider
13th Jun 2006, 23:38
I'm in Bolivia. I'm taking my time, trying to get used to these new and very awful controls for Lara. I am in the room with the 3 boxes. I solved the puzzle and got the door open. I had fun doing that. I got Lara up to the door. She was looking around at the chains near the ceiling. Ok I thought, I'll come back to this, I'm at a check point. I went in the door, and Lara got killed, because I had no idea what that down arrow was supposed to indicate. From there I decided to go back to my save game I made just after I got the 3 boxes in place, so I could move around and see what it was that interested Lara so much.

Now as I understand it, doing that for some reason will wipe out your last checkpoint save. That didn't matter to me, but what does matter is that I have been sent back farther than I expected. Lara is not where she should be standing in the room, and the puzzle is back to being unsolved! And this is NOT the first time this sort of thing has happened. What the heck is going on?!? Why did the game eat my last manual save point? :mad2: :confused:

Darkness_65
14th Jun 2006, 00:24
As far as I remember, there isn't a checkpoint in that chamber. The last, it seems to me, is before you dive to reach the crushing walls. But maybe my memory slips. Anyway, when you do a "manual save", you save at the last checkpoint reached, not your actual position.

ShirleyC
14th Jun 2006, 01:20
I feel for you. I got sent back to the first of a level at one point. Those saves make no sense to me what so ever. Now, I just depend on using those checkpoints.:(
Shirley

Glider
14th Jun 2006, 03:44
My problem is that if I want to go back a couple of saves to check something, I lose everything done since that point. That is just plain dumb.

L Croft
14th Jun 2006, 19:51
the saves are just a saved game at the last point you passed, so are effectivly pointless, if you are going back you need to save first and then reload that save.

RaymanO
15th Jun 2006, 15:52
I agree with what's been said.
What's the point of having a "Save Game" option if it takes you back to the last checkpoint? That's idiotic.
When playing on a PC, when you choose "Save Game" it should save the game at the exact point of saving. Every other previous PC version of TR games saved games in that manner.
Checkpoints have always been a console-game method of game saving. What this obviously means is that someone (Eidos? Core?) cut corners and wanted to save money so they just adapted one of the console game versions of TRL to the PC.
Just another reason why TRL pales in comparison to previous TR games...

StarChampagne
15th Jun 2006, 16:36
I don't mind checkpoints, but I'd rather have the save-anywhere feature. Makes sense when you miss a jump, then land on a checkpoint and have to make your way back up. I don't see what was wrong with the save-anywhere, and I liked it in previous games. But then Legend was a bit shorter, so perhaps it wasn't quite so necessary. Oh well.

kksmith
15th Jun 2006, 16:59
I personally like it the way they have it now (though they should have clarified that's how saves work).

The checkpoint system is great for a few reasons:
1.) Ignoring saves for a minute, you don't have to replay the entire level.
2.) They are well positioned at the start of major sections/puzzles.
3.) They add a bit of challenge - and this is where the idea of "save anywhere" comes in as being bad:

To elaborate more on that, if you can save anywhere the game becomes a lot easier. I mean, you can essentially save every time you make a difficult jump successfully for example, or pass a difficult (but short) area. Die right after that? Reload and continue. An example of what I mean is in Ghana, after activating all the traps again. Avoid the spears, then avoid two halls full of moving razorblades (one you have to jump, another you have to roll). This is all through one checkpoint. So you can potentially make it past the first two traps and die on the third. Saving lets you bypass having to do the other traps again, making it a bit too easy IMO.

The main reason - as I see it - for having save games at all, is if you want to quit playing. So when you come back you don't want to start the level from scratch, you just want to start back where you left off.

Checkpoints also work very well with Time Trial mode, in which allowing you to save anywhere would pretty much break the entire concept (i.e. save all the time and if you die or take too long, reload).

L Croft
15th Jun 2006, 18:59
I agree with what's been said.
What's the point of having a "Save Game" option if it takes you back to the last checkpoint? That's idiotic.
When playing on a PC, when you choose "Save Game" it should save the game at the exact point of saving. Every other previous PC version of TR games saved games in that manner.
Checkpoints have always been a console-game method of game saving. What this obviously means is that someone (Eidos? Core?) cut corners and wanted to save money so they just adapted one of the console game versions of TRL to the PC.
Just another reason why TRL pales in comparison to previous TR games...
Well checkpoints aren't only for console games, Far Cry (only developed for consoles a year later by a different developer) uses checkpoints very effectivly, the main difference between their system and the TR one is that you can reload any check point you have passed from any level. Which is great.

3.) They add a bit of challenge - and this is where the idea of "save anywhere" comes in as being bad.
I agree with you on 3. I have never had any trouble with 1 or 2 as previously I over save if anything (around 1000 per game, yes really). But if anyone is silly enough not to save for a whole level then thats just dim to be honest. I found the save before the bolder trap in ghana was irrataing as I had to run up that corridor and wait for the cutscene about 10 times which drove me up the wall, but all the others were good.

RaymanO
16th Jun 2006, 15:10
I personally like it the way they have it now (though they should have clarified that's how saves work).

3.) They add a bit of challenge - and this is where the idea of "save anywhere" comes in as being bad:

To elaborate more on that, if you can save anywhere the game becomes a lot easier. I mean, you can essentially save every time you make a difficult jump successfully for example, or pass a difficult (but short) area.
Dude, you play your way, I'll play mine. Who says every gamer is good at gaming? That why the "Save Game At This Exact Point" is so great. If you think it makes the game too easy then by all means DON"T USE IT. Or use it only when you think you should. But leave the option of at least having it to use for us lame gamers who need it.

kksmith
16th Jun 2006, 17:46
Dude, you play your way, I'll play mine. Who says every gamer is good at gaming? That why the "Save Game At This Exact Point" is so great. If you think it makes the game too easy then by all means DON"T USE IT. Or use it only when you think you should. But leave the option of at least having it to use for us lame gamers who need it.

That's why god invented cheat codes :)

But anyways, there are so many checkpoints already, I don't see how saving everywhere is really going to help you if you "suck". You bypass maybe one trap or half of a puzzle. And all you really avoid is having to redo stuff. That's not difficulty, that's repetition. And you'll never get better if you don't practice :P Especially in the earlier levels which gear you up (skill-wise) for the later ones.

But anyways, after reading your first post I don't really care what you think. In your opinion, checkpoints were a "cop-out" and an "easy way to adapt to consoles" (not true in fact, I've seen plenty of console games that allow saving anywhere). Checkpoints were a design decision, and one I personally like.