Treeble
13th Jun 2006, 19:16
Erm, why is it a multiple choice poll? :p

StarChampagne
13th Jun 2006, 20:16
Some people liked Aod :)

Treeble
13th Jun 2006, 20:29
LOL - I actually meant you can pick up both "yes" and "no" options.

exmachinad
13th Jun 2006, 23:26
How about an average option?

I voted on "yes" just becasue there was no third choice.:D And to say that AoD was a very good game... Well, IMO it woud be a great lie.:cool:

Sophia Leigh
14th Jun 2006, 00:58
no... Its a great GAME!! :thumbsup:
ditto :thumbsup:

star girl
14th Jun 2006, 03:52
How about an average option?

I voted on "yes" just becasue there was no third choice.:D And to say that AoD was a very good game... Well, IMO it woud be a great lie.:cool:

Sorry to say that you are very wrong. AOD was the first TR I completed, after that Legend, AND I have also played a fair amount of the previous TR games. AOD is still top on my list, and people's interest differ from others. That said... :)
@ lara croft tomb raider = Why do you ask that question? Have you played AOD, or are collecting opinions on to buy it or not. Just wondering... :whistle:

Johnny
14th Jun 2006, 08:46
I voted both yes and no to make it even. :D AOD was average IMO... ;)

exmachinad
14th Jun 2006, 17:20
Sorry to say that you are very wrong.

No, I'm not very wrong.
If you care to actually READ at all what I wrote, you will see a "IMO", which means "in MY opinion". So, in MY opinion, I would be lying If I said that AoD was great, because, for ME, it wasn't.

I just dislike games when you die lot of times and need to reload saved games a lot of times becasue of bad controls and bad design decisions. In MY opinion, it is not a fun or enjoyable experience, on the contrary, it is a very frustating one.

But, of course, opinions from other persons do differ, specially regarding something so subjective like personal taste.

StarChampagne
14th Jun 2006, 19:13
LOL - I actually meant you can pick up both "yes" and "no" options.

Hehe sorry. That is pretty strange. :D Didn't cross my mind that was what you meant... but I've been caught out before with polls that are multiple choice...

shirl123
14th Jun 2006, 21:10
to be honest - I felt betrayed on AOD [and on TRLR, but that's a diffrent story] because I was, and still am, very disappointed...it didn't have the "tomb raider feeling" IMO, kind of made me upset since I grew up with the TR series...
luckily TRL fixed that damage for moi ;)

winston
14th Jun 2006, 21:34
I thought it was a good game and would have liked to have seen the trilogy completed.
However i always thought the controls were iffy and when i played on AOD last week (after weeks of playing Legend) the controls just seem very clunky! Plus the camera is opposite to that of Legend; you have to move the analog stick left to get the camera to go right!:p

Kurtis is also a bit of a pain in the you know what but the story line is interesting and the levels are fun, longer than those in Legend.
Overall i would give AOD 7/10, not a bad game at all.

star girl
15th Jun 2006, 11:11
But, of course, opinions from other persons do differ, specially regarding something so subjective like personal taste.

My point, exactly! :) And I did read your post properly before. You think it would be a lie if someone said AOD was good, but not many people lie. I'm saying I like AOD, I'm not lying, but you would think I am because you would consider that keeping your AOD experience in mind, then think "she's lying." I had a good experience with AOD, that is why I take stuff of AOD positively. But forget what I said before, I apologize if it prove to be offensive. :)

@ winston = I tried to kill Boaz (again) after playing Legend, it took me quite sometime... :D

SethKoopa
16th Jun 2006, 16:05
As a game non-technically speaking, what I have played is very good. As a game, technically speaking, it's unforgivingly unfinished. But that was not Core's fault, as we all remember. AoD was simply the victim of a tight marketing schedule and pressure to make it the best yet.

shaahinkaaveh
16th Jun 2006, 19:10
My most disappointing feeling about AOD was that I felt none of its Ideas were well-done, they were clumsy.
Some examples:
1-The talking puzzles: Surprisingly absurd, It just pretended that you had choise. Moreover it was as linear as any non-interactive movie (only two silly main lines). If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
2-Money gathering system: What were all those ways of making money good for? As far as I figured out, the only use was persuasion of the angry man in the park, wasn't it? I had thousends of useless Euros until the end. If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
3-Weapons: You lost all weapons after the Louvre and never refound most of them.
4-movements: I never was in a situation, in which new crawl or stealth ability could meaningfully help (and there are more examples). If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
5-Kurtis: He had nothing special and exciting. At least I hoped his magic gear could be used.
6-Action-adventure proportion: Neither action parts, nor adventure parts were the main body of the game, or really exciting.
7-The story, and the scary vagueness of it: If they worked on the idea it could be nice. :D
8-The Resident Evil-like features: I didn't expect them in a TR game. TR must be surprising and splendid, not horrible! But now that you decided to make use of it at least you could have worked on it more. (If they worked on the idea ... :whistle: ).

Did you have such a feeling too?

shirl123
16th Jun 2006, 19:31
lol...:
no - 50.00% , yes - 64.29%...too bad that 50 + 64.29 = 114.29...which is more then 100% :lol:

shaahinkaaveh
17th Jun 2006, 09:24
lol...:
no - 50.00% , yes - 64.29%...too bad that 50 + 64.29 = 114.29...which is more then 100% :lol:

Simply because some people have voted both "yes" and "no" to mean "average" ! :)

shirl123
17th Jun 2006, 14:44
Simply because some people have voted both "yes" and "no" to mean "average" ! :)

I know, but it still should be organized in some way instead of some silly bug.
oh well, who cares, it makes me laugh! :nut:

susan
17th Jun 2006, 15:11
My most disappointing feeling about AOD was that I felt none of its Ideas were well-done, they were clumsy.
Some examples:
1-The talking puzzles: Surprisingly absurd, It just pretended that you had choise. Moreover it was as linear as any non-interactive movie (only two silly main lines). If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
2-Money gathering system: What were all those ways of making money good for? As far as I figured out, the only use was persuasion of the angry man in the park, wasn't it? I had thousends of useless Euros until the end. If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
3-Weapons: You lost all weapons after the Louvre and never refound most of them.
4-movements: I never was in a situation, in which new crawl or stealth ability could meaningfully help (and there are more examples). If they worked on the idea it could be nice.
5-Kurtis: He had nothing special and exciting. At least I hoped his magic gear could be used.
6-Action-adventure proportion: Neither action parts, nor adventure parts were the main body of the game, or really exciting.
7-The story, and the scary vagueness of it: If they worked on the idea it could be nice. :D
8-The Resident Evil-like features: I didn't expect them in a TR game. TR must be surprising and splendid, not horrible! But now that you decided to make use of it at least you could have worked on it more. (If they worked on the idea ... :whistle: ).

Did you have such a feeling too?This is a pretty good summation of some of the problems with AoD. :thumbsup: I could even add a couple more. It's funny though, despite these points, it's still an interesting and fun game, don't you find shaahinkaaveh?

I was really disappointed with AoD at first, but then it grew on me on the second and third go... :D I think it ranks OK alongside Legend, better in some ways, worse in others.

shaahinkaaveh
18th Jun 2006, 03:17
despite these points, it's still an interesting and fun game, don't you find shaahinkaaveh?

I was really disappointed with AoD at first, but then it grew on me on the second and third go... :D I think it ranks OK alongside Legend, better in some ways, worse in others.

That's right! That's a natural effect of replaying the game (the same happens to me). The first time you play a game, you expect something, you await a Climax, when the game and its features find their meaning; and when it dosen't happen, you get disappointed. But the second time you already know what's going to happen, so you are able to enjoy the game as it is.
But remember: We always replay Tomb Raiders, because we are TR fans. It's not a normal expectation from every gamer.

lara croft tomb raider
20th Jun 2006, 16:53
Erm, why is it a multiple choice poll? :p
was not ment to be

susan
20th Jun 2006, 22:02
But remember: We always replay Tomb Raiders, because we are TR fans. It's not a normal expectation from every gamer.Yeah that's true. I'm sure there are many people who threw it out afterwards, who would actually enjoy it if they replayed it. I didn't replay it myself till a good 18 months later. :)

Mangar The Dark
29th Jun 2006, 19:38
I actually liked AOD quite a lot. I was kind of baffled by all the negative remarks about it, because I had a good time with it. The controls were fine (on the PC, at least), the story was more interesting (a bit confusing at times, but at least it made a nice change from the regular plots in these games), the graphics were very nice, the balance between combat and adventuring was done well, and I thought a lot of the locations were pretty interesting. I'm not saying it didn't have flaws. Obviously the contrived RPG elements could have been done better, and the dialogues didn't add as much as they should have, but overall, it was good. It felt more like a real sequel than Chronicles did. (Chronicles, to me, felt like an expansion pack.)

Sophia Leigh
30th Jun 2006, 08:24
I actually liked AOD quite a lot. I was kind of baffled by all the negative remarks about it, because I had a good time with it. The controls were fine (on the PC, at least), the story was more interesting (a bit confusing at times, but at least it made a nice change from the regular plots in these games), the graphics were very nice, the balance between combat and adventuring was done well, and I thought a lot of the locations were pretty interesting. I'm not saying it didn't have flaws. Obviously the contrived RPG elements could have been done better, and the dialogues didn't add as much as they should have, but overall, it was good. It felt more like a real sequel than Chronicles did. (Chronicles, to me, felt like an expansion pack.)
I completely agree with you Mangar although I'm stunned that you liked the controls on PC. I played on PS2 first and thought it was great, the second time I played it was on PC and the controls made me angry - I'm glad you had a good experience with them though.

Mangar The Dark
6th Jul 2006, 17:06
I completely agree with you Mangar although I'm stunned that you liked the controls on PC.

I was really nervous about the controls after reading all the negative comments here. Actually, I avoided getting the game until I found it used on Amazon for about $5 because I anticipated it being practically unplayable based on all the complaints everyone had. Then I started it up, and when the opening cinematics ended, I thought, "Ok, the moment of truth... is it going to be as horrific as everyone says?" Much to my surprise, it felt almost exactly like every other Tomb Raider game I've ever played! I really couldn't understand the complaints at all. Sure, a few of the controls were changed, but overall it did not feel drastically different at all.

Sophia Leigh
6th Jul 2006, 23:58
I found that the keys on the keyboard hadn't really changed but the problem was getting Lara to do what I told her to do.

star girl
7th Jul 2006, 06:21
I had P3, and I played AOD on that (wind. 98). I did not had the recommended system requirements, so my game lagged at every single point. Lara would be running in slow motion. But I was able to finish it, probably the first TR I finished. I was no 'computer game freak', plus I hadn't played anything other than the demo of TR 3 (I bought Mummy 2, and oh God it scared the living hell out of me! I used to spend sleepless nights... then one day I piled up my courage and broke the CD.... :o :rasp: ). The story really caught me in AOD, and I memorised the walkthroughs of all the levels in AOD before finishing the game! (boy, in Stella's I confused 'ambushed' with 'embraced' [at the end of Maximum Containment Area], and I used to wonder... (sigh) they hugged?! their must be something going on then... :D, I brought myself back from the fantasy in time, when I said "ambushed?!" :D)

Plus the way they introduced Kurtis in it was... awesome! I mean, that rude customer in Cafe Metro, then.... "Hey! He was in the cafe a minute ago! How come he's here in the night club?!"

And then: "Him again?! Who is this guy?!"

Then at the Louvre (no surprise, I followed Stella, so I knew this was Kurtis): "OH, you sickly little... EWWW!" (talkin' about the first scene ;) )

But AOD was good... despite all the flaws it was good, I belive they should have made a sequel to it... Or at least have a 2 minute FMV scene at the start of Legend, to tie up all loose ends. If seriously considering, I think if AOD's sequel was done in Legend type and all, it would have been great! AOD was the first chapters of the whole trilogy planned for the story, and Core (or Eidos?) promised us tombs in the second part (in Cappadocia, Turkey). Plus Lara had been alone long enough, I think they were to marry Lara and Kurtis off at the end of TR 8, then continue TR with their children.......

:lol: :lol: Nice idea though... I'll use it in my story... :p