PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary Bush bashing in Blood Money

Salem4
9th Jun 2006, 11:25
I have observed that the newspapers in Blood Money often feature a quote from the current President of the United States. This is an OK idea, but the backside is that the quotes are often apparently "dumb" quotes that the President might have said once.

I have always liked both Denmark and the Hitman series, and thought of the country as a good, conservative representative of the North and of Europe (in contradiction to Sweden and France) and the Hitman series as fun games with no hidden political agenda.

Why couldn't this be true this time also?

Note that I am a Norwegian with no ties to the US.

martin88
9th Jun 2006, 21:30
Bush did say them, did he not?
IO are merely spreading his word.
If his words are a lot of rubbish, so be it.

Salem4
10th Jun 2006, 12:00
You are right, but the issue is that the media are portraying people the way they want to. I am sure every president (every person, for that matter) has said something stupid, but little of this is quoted in the media. The essence of the speech should be the quotation, not a single, irrelevant analogy which might or might not have come out wrong.

Let's agree to disagree, and conclude this thread with the remark that the media in general is the "bad guy", not IOI, who are merely doing this out of "peer pressure" from the bigger news networks.

Alexlovesguns
10th Jun 2006, 15:46
Since IOI made the white house (Amendment XXV) they could have made a level where 47 kills George and prevents the death of thousands of people for no reason.

Salem4
10th Jun 2006, 20:49
I am somewhat less than amused.

Rasko
14th Jun 2006, 13:08
IOI doesn't care that this might offend some people because - what else can one surmize - they don't like Bush and have no respect for his supporters. That includes gamers...people who buy their products and support their work.

It's pretty audacious, and surprising that Eidos would allow it (except for the obvious reason :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, it isn't that big of a deal. It's subtle, as they figured they'd let the quotes speak for themselves and gamers draw their own conclusions. The intent, though, is clear.

And it's exactly what you should expect from that end of the spectrum.

krazed
15th Jun 2006, 22:33
maybe they tried making the papers look realistic to some extent and didnt worry about people getting upset about somethings that actualy happened?

panzermk5
11th Jul 2006, 18:49
oi instead of involving such a god awful matter like politics in video games why don't we just play ignorant and keep on playing. Maybe they didn't even add those things to "bush bash" thats an awful lot of effort to jump on the doofus wagon and bash the president. Their very could be "easter egg" like tidbits all in the game not just involving bush. Maybe I'm less inclined to believe the devs did it because bush jokes, bush bashing and being a clown about it is getting old. Maybe krazed is right.

ps: go scandinavia!

Gorrister
27th Jul 2006, 22:25
I'm not so bothered by it. I mean, even if they DO portray the President as Bush-like, the game still makes it clear that he's on the right side. He supports a position that the bad guys in the game want him dead over, and they caused enough political pressure to get him to nominate a Veep who supports The Franchise and will be their puppet once the current President is out of the way.

Only two things bugged me in this game:

1) Albeit a small issue, they have the whole election cycle messed up. They have campaigning going on late into 2005 when the election was held in 2004.

2) I'm not from the south, but I found the portrayal of all the southern characters as gun-crazy, inbred, Jed Clampett wannabes extremely excessive. I've spent time in the south and have never met anyone who lived up the that stereotype. I've met more gun-crazy people in New York and California than anywhere else in the world.

It's as bad as if they portrayed all the French in the Opera level as a bunch of snail munching, extremely rude, cowardly Frogs.

I suspect that the only knowledge the Hitman team has about Southern culture comes from old re-runs of The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres.

Varo
30th Sep 2006, 21:00
you're perfectly right. Game developers, especially those of a game whose protagonist is a completely non-political and extra-social (even extra-human) creature, should despise partisan activism of any sort. One of the beauties of 47 is that he is as innocent as a child about the social and political aspirations and hypocracies of all groups. He lives in the real world - where leftists and rightists, Democrats and Republicans, socialiasts and capitalist all commit terrible atrocities against their fellow global villagers.:whistle:

Dr Kain
8th Feb 2007, 17:56
Bush is an idiot, so who cares if he gets bashed!! The guy is so full of **** he can't even admit he made a mistake. I can't wait until he is out of office so we can hopefully get a more interlligent president in office.

Hell, I wish you could assassinate the president in this game, just so I can pretend it is Bush.

FireFeind
3rd Apr 2007, 22:53
Bush is an idiot, so who cares if he gets bashed!! The guy is so full of **** he can't even admit he made a mistake. I can't wait until he is out of office so we can hopefully get a more interlligent president in office.

Hell, I wish you could assassinate the president in this game, just so I can pretend it is Bush.

Not to say that I dont support US, becuase I live in the Us...
but even when the Bush gets booted from the Presidency, who would take his place? It will just be some other dumb guy with a silver tounge that will cause even more trouble.
The only reason I liked the Bush at all, was that he didnt bend to political opposition. Unlike every other guy (Mr. Al Gore) who was flipping and flopping side to side without ever making up his mind.. If we have that in the white house we would have probably all been blown away by terrorist..

War is hell, but you dont expect the terrorist to escape with flying airplanes into the Twin towers in 2001, and also trying to blow it up a few years before that. We went after then and they ran to Sadam Hussain to hide under his army. We gave him a chance to get out peacefully and he refused. It's not justified, its just the United States trying to fight back after getting hit in the face >.<:D

grihn
31st Jul 2007, 19:43
I really don't think it matters...if you're offended or affected by something you hear in a game or on TV, then you obviously aren't very set or comfortable in your own opinons. People need to realize that others are going to have a different opinion and quit being offended by it.

Bush is an idiot, so who cares if he gets bashed!! The guy is so full of he can't even admit he made a mistake. I can't wait until he is out of office so we can hopefully get a more interlligent president in office.

By the way...if you want to bash someone of lack of "interlligence," perhaps you should try to be a bit more "interlligent" yourself.