PDA

View Full Version : I feel Ripped Off

JG777
5th Jun 2006, 22:02
I usually read reviews before i purchase a game. Hitman games while not perfect they always worked for me and i never had a the latest hardware to run them, so i bought the game. BIG MISTAKE! Last time i purchase a game without reading reviews or trying a demo. My system is not the best but it's not horrible either. EB won't accept returns so i quess i'm stuck whith a $40 coaster.

Athlon 3000+
1 Gg 3200
Geforce 5900XT
430 WT psu

**** Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Witchhunter
5th Jun 2006, 22:26
and have you installed the 1.1 patch? Of enabled fast writes?

BrandonB
5th Jun 2006, 22:54
I usually read reviews before i purchase a game. Hitman games while not perfect they always worked for me and i never had a the latest hardware to run them, so i bought the game. BIG MISTAKE! Last time i purchase a game without reading reviews or trying a demo. My system is not the best but it's not horrible either. EB won't accept returns so i quess i'm stuck whith a $40 coaster.

Athlon 3000+
1 Gg 3200
Geforce 5900XT
430 WT psu

You have failed to list what your problems are with the game, just tell us the problem and we might be able to fix it.

sleepyrice
6th Jun 2006, 11:11
So I'm probably an average user, just got a new HP dv5000 laptop (2 months ago)

AMD Turion 64
ML-40
787 MHz, 1.00GB RAM
ATI Radeon 200m

Of course excited I run out and get the PC game (I travel alot - otherwise would have got the Playstation version) and it doesn't work.

First I have to go and get the .dll and then once the game is up and going I can't even get off the dock as the graphics are so bad (even on the lowest setting)

If I have him look straight up (at a white sky) he can get moving - wow - what fun.

I know you guys might say - get a better machine - but you know I just paid $1400 for this one. It runs HUGE photoshop files without a hitch. And has better performance than my last two HP's (which ran earlier versions of Hitman just fine) So tell me - what's going on..

To play a game like this you have to have 2k+ to get a gaming laptop?

I don't get it, but I can't return it, so I guess I've got it.

stegman
6th Jun 2006, 11:18
***deleted***

sleepyrice
6th Jun 2006, 11:33
they could put somewhere on the box (along with the fly graphics) that THIS GAME PROBABLY WONT PLAY on your machine unless you've got something pimped out just for gaming.

or - just because you have a brand new media center pc - don't expect to be able to play this game.

i looked at the requirements before i bought - and looked fine to me.

is there a way i can upgrade my laptop - graphics card?

all in all - feel totaly ripped off - 1. the $44 2. (and more important) i want to play the frigging game. i'm leaving on a trip in two days (17 hours on a plane) and just bought an extra 12 cell battery ($150) JUST SO i could play this thing.

Frustrating as hell.

stegman
6th Jun 2006, 11:42
Vote here;
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=60526

if you cant run it.

JG777
6th Jun 2006, 11:55
You have failed to list what your problems are with the game, just tell us the problem and we might be able to fix it.

Unplayable CHOPPYNESS. The patch Did nothing. And that's at 800x600 lowest settings. And no they won't refund my money. EBgames policy since they were bought out by Ganestop.:mad2:

Mike_B
6th Jun 2006, 12:37
they could put somewhere on the box (along with the fly graphics) that THIS GAME PROBABLY WONT PLAY on your machine unless you've got something pimped out just for gaming.

I believe it's called system requirements.. also I believe that Eidos doesn't support laptops at all.

Right, i've had enough of shops saying "we cant give you a refund"
"Gamestation" do it for one and theres bound to be others.

Check this article out;

*snip*

it is your/our legal right to have our money back. Other wise the Law is being broken!:mad:

I guess you can try but I think that's why game developers/publishers developed the EULA (end user license agreement) basicly stating thaf if you don't agree with these terms you shouldn't install the product *don't shoot the messenger, just a gamer here like everyone else :whistle: *

sleepyrice
6th Jun 2006, 14:00
i believe i did say i read the box and my specs matched the requirements.. :rasp:

Quillan
6th Jun 2006, 14:13
No, they didn't. You have a laptop. The supported chipsets are desktop video chipsets. Ergo, they don't match.

Laptop video is not equal to desktop video. The focus is totally different. Desktop components focus on two things: performance and price. Some concentrate on one over the other. The X1900XTX is only concerned with performance. The entry level cards like the 6200 are only concerned with price. Laptops focus on one thing primarily: power consumption. In order to reduce power consumption (and make the battery last longer) a lot of things get cut. Some features aren't fully supported. Some aren't supported at all. Clock speeds are cut back, and in some cases dynamically throttled. All of this makes laptops poor gaming machines. You can go buy a $3000+ Alienware gaming laptop, if you don't mind the battery only lasting an hour and getting burned by the amount of heat it produces, but aside from that, you need to only play simple games on a laptop.

JG777
6th Jun 2006, 14:35
Well i don't have a laptop and my system meets the reuirements. i can run every other game including Tomb Raider Legends,Fear ect. I blame myself for not trying the demo first. Game publishers just want to sell the game no matter what since all Stores won't take returns of opened software, in my area anyway. Won't happen again.

Quillan
6th Jun 2006, 17:32
I wasn't talking about you, I was referring to Sleepy who also posted in this thread. I hate to say it, but I think you're screwed, JG. I recall when Half Life 2 was nearing it's expected release date, they had the big press conference where they talked about how badly the Geforce FX series cards ran under shader model 2. A lot of people were outraged, but it turned out to be true. Not long after HL2 finally did release Anandtech did a benchmarch suite on the game, comparing a bunch of new and older graphics cards under the engine. One of the things they tested was forcing DirectX 9 on the FX series cards, since those cards defaulted to a DX8 path. They took a MASSIVE framerate hit, as in 30-50% slower than running under DirectX 8. The PC version of this game requires shader model 2, so the only path it has is the DirectX 9 path. FX cards don't do well with that, so that's where the choppiness is coming from.

You may or may not be able to upgrade your video card, but as long as you keep it, pay close attention to the games before you buy. More and more stuff is requiring SM 2 these days, and anything that doesn't support SM 1.1 or 1.4 is going to be very poor-running on your card.

BrandonB
6th Jun 2006, 18:26
So I'm probably an average user, just got a new HP dv5000 laptop (2 months ago)

AMD Turion 64
ML-40
787 MHz, 1.00GB RAM
ATI Radeon 200m

Of course excited I run out and get the PC game (I travel alot - otherwise would have got the Playstation version) and it doesn't work.

First I have to go and get the .dll and then once the game is up and going I can't even get off the dock as the graphics are so bad (even on the lowest setting)

If I have him look straight up (at a white sky) he can get moving - wow - what fun.

I know you guys might say - get a better machine - but you know I just paid $1400 for this one. It runs HUGE photoshop files without a hitch. And has better performance than my last two HP's (which ran earlier versions of Hitman just fine) So tell me - what's going on..

To play a game like this you have to have 2k+ to get a gaming laptop?

I don't get it, but I can't return it, so I guess I've got it.

Dude, you can't play this game on a ******* Radeon 200M... MINIMUM is a Radeon 6500! Should have looked around more and gotten a Dell laptop, could have had a X700 in the laptop if you went with dell for the SAME price.

JG777
6th Jun 2006, 18:27
:( youre right i am screwed. I'm waiting for next year for a windows Vista system and passing this one down to my daughter. Till then ill play what i can.

BrandonB
6th Jun 2006, 18:30

or - just because you have a brand new media center pc - don't expect to be able to play this game.

i looked at the requirements before i bought - and looked fine to me.

is there a way i can upgrade my laptop - graphics card?

all in all - feel totaly ripped off - 1. the $44 2. (and more important) i want to play the frigging game. i'm leaving on a trip in two days (17 hours on a plane) and just bought an extra 12 cell battery ($150) JUST SO i could play this thing.

Frustrating as hell.

No, you can't upgrade your graphics card in a lappy. You dont need something pimped out for gaming, it specificaly states the requirements and you simply do not meet them graphics wise. Sorry man...

Supremo
6th Jun 2006, 18:53
I also get 'crash to computer' error when I go between tutorial and second level. And Im pretty sure its got nothing to do with my graphics card or the rest of my system.
My graphics card is nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT - any reason why that shouldnt work?

BrandonB
6th Jun 2006, 18:55
I also get 'crash to computer' error when I go between tutorial and second level. And Im pretty sure its got nothing to do with my graphics card or the rest of my system.

If you are using a no-dvd crack then dont, that causes major problems.

Supremo
6th Jun 2006, 18:56
If you are using a no-dvd crack then dont, that causes major problems.

right so if I replace the crack for original.. then it should work?

BrandonB
6th Jun 2006, 18:59
right so if I replace the crack for original.. then it should work?

It should, then again it might not but I'm pretty sure it will. You'll just have to have the DVD in the drive at all times to play.

Supremo
6th Jun 2006, 19:03
It should, then again it might not but I'm pretty sure it will. You'll just have to have the DVD in the drive at all times to play.
thats not a problem, thanks, I shall get back to you if it works.

Silent_assasin
6th Jun 2006, 21:30
if u want to buy a game first download the demo and see how its working .. and else.. after u`r convinced .. then u buy

sleepyrice
6th Jun 2006, 21:48
so you told me - i've never had this problem before - i've played every other hitman game, call of duty, 007, and whatever else i wanted - and they all played fine.

so i was a little shocked that this one doesn't play at all.

good lecture on the difference between laptop/desktop. i learned something.

anyway - i just picked up the console version - so i guess i'm happy. i'll give this to someone with a decent desktop.

Silent_assasin
6th Jun 2006, 21:51

wtf man ?? you have too much money and u dont have what to spent on ?? :| 7900 ? thats about 600 $
actualy its 340$ :D still ..

david72
10th Jun 2006, 02:56

Athlon 3000+
1 Gg 3200
Geforce 5900XT
430 WT psu

You could always put it on eBay!, worst case scenario.

Viper101
10th Jun 2006, 03:59
why yall be wasting time by it for a console...if u have one... wich ya should

david72
10th Jun 2006, 04:23
why yall be wasting time by it for a console...if u have one... wich ya should

consoles are much easier i agree!

Viper101
10th Jun 2006, 04:35
yeah