PDA

View Full Version : Graphical issue - little white dots

crimsonsmoke
5th Jun 2006, 13:48
I am a few levels into the new Hitman game I have discovered a disappointing flaw; yet, I’m not entirely sure what the cause of this flaw actually is, hence my asking for help. I will do my best to supply the required information so that someone can make a reasonable and logical diagnosis.

Basically, in some levels I am experiencing a graphical glitch that causes small white dots [about the size of pixels] to appear around various joints in the scenery, and occasionally on other NPCs where part of their model joins another part. This problem is dominantly found in the “Flat line” level, situated in an alcoholics’ clinic. Below are a few screen shots to demonstrate the problem at its worst. Note that the white dots disappear and reappear when you move - they are not static.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/9523/hitmanbloodmoney20060604194153.jpg
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/1820/hitmanbloodmoney20060604194231.jpg
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/2570/hitmanbloodmoney20060604194238.jpg
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/561/hitmanbloodmoney20060604194511.jpg

I have only ever experienced this problem in one other game and to a far lesser degree; very occasionally, when exploring certain caves in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, I would see the same white dots around various joints in the scenery. I must stress, however, that these dots were very occasional, and because of that, I just put it down to a development issue.

My PC specifications are above the requirements for both games, as listed below:
AMD Sempron 3000+ - 2.0GHZ processor
Radeon X800XT 256MB Graphics
1536MB RAM
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit sound card
Running on Windows XP

Other information: all of my drivers are up to date; I don’t run any background programs [other than essentials] when playing games; all of my hardware is functioning properly; my CPU, graphics card and or RAM is not over-clocked.

Also, my CPU temperature runs at a consistent 50oc, which I deem to be acceptable.

I have tried turning various settings in the game down; however, this doesn’t seem to stop the problem.

The only conclusions I can draw are as follows:
-My graphics card is overheated, causing ‘artifacting’ – however, this isn’t likely as, according to DXdiag, my graphics card is running without any problems. Also, I am told ‘artifacting’ does not look like the examples I have provided. Plus, if this were ‘artifacting’, surly I would experience this more frequently in other, more graphically intensive games.
-My monitor [an old CRT] is breaking. Coincidental, I’m getting a shiny new TFT soon, so if this is the problem, I’m not terribly bothered.
-There is a problem with the game itself, and this could be patched at a later date.
-There is an obvious hardware conflict.
-That's what happens when the edges of two polygons are a minuscule amount away from each other. Its the games problem.

Questions: does anyone else have this problem, or a similar one? If so, how did you fix it? Finally, providing the above questions don’t apply, could someone give me an explanation as to why this could be happening?

Thank you for you time, and get back to me soon.

-Crim.

martin88
5th Jun 2006, 13:54
I think it may be where the textures in walls don't corrolate properly. But Thats by no means definitate.
Ive seen this, and similar things in many games.

crimsonsmoke
5th Jun 2006, 13:58
Thanks for the reply. I seriously hope this isn't artifacting - someone reasure me!

Is it safe for my CPU to run at 50oC temp?

Quillan
5th Jun 2006, 15:04
That depends on a few factors. The Semprons are basically the older Athlon XP core, which runs hotter than the newer Athlon 64s. That's really hot for one of the newer ones, but also depends on the heat sink you have on the processor and the thermal compound.

Xcom
5th Jun 2006, 20:16
Thanks for the reply. I seriously hope this isn't artifacting - someone reasure me!

What's your gfx core temperature?

You can download ATitool and scan for artifacts:
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Witchhunter
5th Jun 2006, 22:24
Cpu temp wont create artifacts. Anyway what you are seeing is quite normal, it has existed since the dawn of 3d gaming ;) I think they're to do with (as mentioned above) texture/brush placement or sometimes the zbuffer.

BrandonB
5th Jun 2006, 22:29

If you dont know what the safe temps are for the CPU then you shouldn't be overclocking it period. =/

*edit*

Sorry when you said oc I thought you meant overclock, thats what oc stands for. Just say c not oc. For that chip it depends on if its running 50c idle or load, if its load then thats fine but 50c idle is a little hot for that IMO. My Pentium D runs 46c load and on average 32c idle and thats amazing considering the Pentium D's run pretty hot (then again I do have the best cooling solution I could find without going to watercooling, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7).

crimsonsmoke
5th Jun 2006, 22:51
Thank you for all the helpful replies.

I really don't think this is artifacting, but I will definitly run that ATI test.

My CPU temp runs at 50c when playing games and 36 when idle, so I'm not really worried about that.

BrandonB
5th Jun 2006, 22:51
Thank you for all the helpful replies.

I really don't think this is artifacting, but I will definitly run that ATI test.

My CPU temp runs at 50c when playing games and 36 when idle, so I'm not really worried about that.

Yeah, those temps are fine.