PDA

View Full Version : Freezing on "Heaven & Hell" level

Illuminattile
3rd Jun 2006, 18:52
I haven't seen this particular issue posted up on here, hopefully someone can help me out;

On a couple of occassions, on various levels, the game has frozen and I've had to restart the machine. Once I've retried these missions, the game's run fine. I've now reached the Heaven & Hell Party mission, and every time I play it, it freezes up on me.

I go into the building straight ahead, sedate the guard when he goes to look for my briefcase, then head down the stairs and through the door into the parking lot. At this point, the game ALWAYS freezes. The picture freezes, and I can't move or do anything. The sound continues for a while, then stops altogether. I can't ALT+TAB to another program, I can't use the Windows button...I have no choice but to restart the machine.

I'm not using the 1.1 Patch, because of the issues I've read about concerning that. I've lowered the Acceleration as per the advice in another thread, in case that helps. I haven't had any problem running other recently-released games (The Movies, Civ4, the new X-Men game) so I don't think it's the specs.

Any idea?

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 18:57
Post your system specs, please.

*agent47*
3rd Jun 2006, 18:59
the game on my pc keeps flashing. (flashing means - screen going black for 1 second)

this only happens 5 minutes after i first play game. than if i restart game is starts from beggining. even on the menu's it stutters and flashes.

i really wanted to play it now. but i cant.

if u have a solution plz tell me asap.

my pc specs are:
3ghz HT
1.5gb ram
x850xt agp 256mb ati graphics card

i have the 1.1 patch installed - shall i uninstall this and try??? how do i uninstall? i cant find a option??

also

what shall i set the agp speed as???? what if i turn it off? what if i put it as
8x?

my motherboard BUS speed is 700mhz. can this affect the agp speed?

thanks,

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 19:18
this only happens 5 minutes after i first play game. than if i restart game is starts from beggining. even on the menu's it stutters and flashes.

This sounds like your card may be overheating, though I can't be sure. Check your temperatures.

Also, disable HyperThreading in BIOS. From what I read, it only causes troubles when gaming and gives no real advantage.

what shall i set the agp speed as???? what if i turn it off? what if i put it as 8x?

You should set agp speed to what your card supports. If your card is AGPx8 then it's AGPx8.

*agent47*
3rd Jun 2006, 19:23
thanks for the quick reply.

no my card is not overheating.

i just played mission. when i start, everything was ok, but as soon as i attract the guards the frame rate drops when there are lots of character killing me.

it should not be doing this!!!

i turn on my task manager, it shows when i am playin the game my cpu is working at 80-100%

and it flashes when the cpu is at 100% and needs break so the screen shuts for a second.

for a good pc this game needs to work good.

any more suggestions?

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 19:26
no my card is not overheating.

Is that your opinion or you have actually checked? Please do check the temps.

And as I said, try disabling HT.

Illuminattile
3rd Jun 2006, 19:59
I'm not on that PC at the minute, but I know it's got a Radeon 9800. Not sure if there are any issues with that.

I'll post up the full specs a little later. Thanks for the reply.

Changing the hardware acceleration didn't work, BTW. I managed to get a little further in the level, but then it froze again.

Illuminattile
5th Jun 2006, 16:35
This is according to the "Can You Run It" program that I found on Eidos' site.

Desktop (bear in mind that the game works, up until the "Dance With The Devil" mission, which freezes up about a minute in, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing).
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
CPU Speed: 2.20 GHz Performance Rated at 3.20 GHz
System RAM: 510.7 MB
Video Card: RADEON 9800 PRO (RADEON 9800 AGP (0x4E48))
Disk Space: 111.8 GB

The program put my specs just under the recommended, but well above the required specs.

Laptop (the game loads, but the mouse lags horribly and the game runs so sluggishly that it's unplayable)

CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor
CPU Speed: 2.00 GHz
System RAM: 1022.0 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
Disk Space: 45.3 GB

Which again puts my specs just under the recommended.

Deez
17th Jun 2006, 19:25
I'm having the exact same problem with the Heave/Hell level. Once I enter the parking garage, it freezes. The system I'm using is P4 1.9 processor, radeon 9800, and 1 gig of ram. The game has been runnig great on every previous mission except this one. I've downloaded the 1.1 patch. Does anyone PLEASE have any suggestions? this mission seems so cool and i want to play it!!!!