PDA

View Full Version : Is Blood Money worth getting?

fisty
31st May 2006, 17:35
Should I buy 47's latest hit?
I love most of the series, but I'm worried that the game may be too linear or be too much of a consol sellout. I'm worried that since it's set in the USofA it will lose some of its European flavah. I'm also hesitant to plop down $40 because the last game was so short.
Is Blood Money a short, simple romp with a lowest-common-denominator consol audience in mind?
Or is it hot shat? :scratch:

Xcom
31st May 2006, 17:36
Blood Money is the best Hitman game to date.

PGJ
31st May 2006, 17:54
On the one hand there are still bugs, which can be annoying... but on the other hand it's just great! You have much more possibilities then in Hitman Contracts to fulfill your aime. The story is much better then the one in hitman contracts (which was quite short).

If you are not cheating and playing all the time (about 6 hours a day) then the game could last about at least 3 weeks for you.

Witchhunter
31st May 2006, 20:33
Hell yes this game is great! :thumbsup:

Crash_Nemesis
1st Jun 2006, 03:29
"If you are not cheating and playing all the time (about 6 hours a day) then the game could last about at least 3 weeks for you."

3 weeks? Dude, I finished the game in two days, with about 6 hours of gameplay each day! --- Dunno where you got three weeks from. I found the game really short, but hey... thats just me. BRILLIANT STORY though, really great.

Even better ending... I loved the game, don't get me wrong, I just found it too short... Waited 2 and half years for a 2 day game... :(

computerology
1st Jun 2006, 04:28
Not worth the money unless you have a $600 video card, in which case, you dont give a damn about the money.

I'm not impressed.

hitman1
1st Jun 2006, 05:56
Not worth the money unless you have a $600 video card, in which case, you dont give a damn about the money.

I'm not impressed.

Lol well said.
Infact, i'm in the situation where if i upgrade, (which i don't really want to do just yet). I'll also have to leg out the extra $$$ to buy a new motherboard that supports PCI-E, since all the brand new spanking cards run on these, and AGP is just not worth buying anymore.
Also i don't think the new PCI-E motherboards support my CPU, mostly the 64 bit ones or higher speeds, soo that will make me have to buy an entire new system.

And no i would not go out and buy a cheaper lower end dx9 3d card just to play this game, for it to superceed in no time.

Mike_B
1st Jun 2006, 08:32
You don't necessarily have to buy a new motherboard just for a pci-e slot. I don't know or it's same word in English but here we call it a "bridge" basicly a small piece of hardware that you put on the new pci-e gfx card so that it would fit in your AGP slot.

Quillan
1st Jun 2006, 13:29
Wrong. The bridge chip has to be factory installed on the video card. That's how they made the AGP versions of the 6600GT and the X1600Pro. There are still a few AGP cards worth buying. There is the aforementioned X1600 Pro in AGP, 7800 GS in AGP, supposed to be a 7900 GS in AGP, and the 6800 GS in AGP. Be careful if you go with the 6800 GS. It could be the best bargain in the list, or just a waste of money.

Long explanation: the PCI-X version of the 6800 GS is an entirely new chipset. It only has 12 pixel pipes and 5 vertex shaders, but it runs at a higher clock speed than the 6800 GT it replaced, and gives basically identical performance. The AGP version is the same chipset as the older 6800 cards (it's native to AGP so no bridge required), but 4 pixel pipes and 1 vertex shader are disabled, and it's clock speed is a lot lower than the PCI-X version.
If you're lucky, you'll have one with a perfectly good NV40 chipset on it, which can have those shut-down shader units unlocked and clocked up a bit. If you're unlucky, you'll have one with one of the defective NV40 chips on it, which is why the shaders were turned off. I've got one; I bought the eVga 6800 GS Superclocked. It runs at the same core and memory clock speeds as the 6800 Ultra, and unlocked just fine. So basically I got a 6800 Ultra for $225. However, if it doesn't unlock fine, you have a card that would be outperformed by any of the others I suggested.

Witchhunter
1st Jun 2006, 14:22

I'm not impressed.
You'd have to have a pretty damn old system not to be able to run this. Anyway this is life, at some point you will have to upgrade and just because you don't have a powerful enough system doesn't mean its not worth it.

DucusSumus
1st Jun 2006, 17:28

I'm not impressed.
$600? No way. You could play this game with a new, mid-range graphics card that would set you back < $200. With my 7900 GT ($300 when I bought it) I am able to play that game at "Ultra High" settings at high resolution and get a consistently good framerate.

The Reaver Blade
2nd Jun 2006, 17:58
Talking about how long it takes to complete the game; it takes longer if you try to get the better ranks. Shooting your way through levels is quicker.

Out of Sanity
4th Jun 2006, 22:32
To say it with Mr.Reapers words:

"I can do what I'am paid for"

so Mr.47 can bring you alot fun to your PC :)

sjinadasa
5th Jun 2006, 15:19
It has some annoying bugs that causes crashes if you are unlucky, other than that its a great game. If buying for a console is an option, do it.

stegman
7th Jun 2006, 13:41
...i've spoted a nVidia 6200 on AGP...
That'll work, wont it?:confused:

{this is shapping up to be the most expensive game i've never played}

Quillan
7th Jun 2006, 13:45
Will it work? Yes. How well? I can't say. The 6200 is the entry level card, meaning it's the weakest of the lot. It's still a great deal more powerful than the 5200, but I don't know how well it'll run the game. If you can afford it, I'd recommend looking for a 6600GT in AGP instead.

Alexlovesguns
7th Jun 2006, 13:56
Definetly worth it, there are some bugs and some levels had alot more potential but its definetly a great game.
Im not saying its better than Hitman 2 because H2 SA is very old and i loved it back then but it sure makes me forget about the contracts major disapointment...

I would buy an expantion pack with 6 extra levels and some more weapons :) .

stegman
7th Jun 2006, 15:40
Will it work? Yes. How well? I can't say. The 6200 is the entry level card, meaning it's the weakest of the lot. It's still a great deal more powerful than the 5200, but I don't know how well it'll run the game. If you can afford it, I'd recommend looking for a 6600GT in AGP instead.

hmmm... let me look around
{...having a look around...}
:scratch:
Nope, i can finf the extra cash! Balls! I'll have to wait untill next pay day before i can play.

(found 28 of the little monsters here http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-GF6625)

[edit] can you explain what the difference between a 6600 256mb and a 6600GT 128MB is and why the letters GT cost an extra £20 when it half the onboard RAM ?

stainit
7th Jun 2006, 15:57
even on the console version of this game has problems.

stegman
8th Jun 2006, 08:03
Really?
Like what?

JG777
8th Jun 2006, 12:08
You'd have to have a pretty damn old system not to be able to run this. Anyway this is life, at some point you will have to upgrade and just because you don't have a powerful enough system doesn't mean its not worth it.
If you have an Nvidia FX card DONT waste your money.

Rasko
8th Jun 2006, 13:27

I have it on xbox, and I haven't encountered any problems, aside from the occasional glitch (all minor - nothing that adversely effects gameplay).

That is, unless you consider the terrible save system a problem...:rolleyes:

Quillan
8th Jun 2006, 14:06
can you explain what the difference between a 6600 256mb and a 6600GT 128MB is and why the letters GT cost an extra £20 when it half the onboard RAM ?

Clock speed on the graphics chip itself. Factory standard on the 6600 is 300 Mhz, while standard on the 6600GT is 500 Mhz. Both have the same memory clocks, memory bandwidth and number of pipelines. It runs 67% faster. That's what you pay a little more for.

stegman
9th Jun 2006, 13:12
I wouldn't buy BloodMoney unless you like one day games. It really sucked too man. Silent Assassin took awhile to beat, Contracts didn't take nearly as long to beat (which sucked) but man I enjoyed collecting all those weapons and secret weapons. BloodMoney has a handful of weapons now. Hell, you start out with 5 of em and the two best guns in the game, you can't keep. This game is a huge let down.
I have it, but can't play it yet.
Is it that easy?
Why are new games so easy these days? Seems like they spend all the time on the grafical bits, showing off with with what they can do, and run out of time when it come to actually creating levels.

How many levels does Blood Money have?

Quillan
9th Jun 2006, 13:15
Tutorial, hideout, 12 actual missions and an epilogue. I found it fairly long. I got it on a Wednesday and didn't finish it until Saturday evening, playing every night.

stegman
9th Jun 2006, 13:16
Clock speed on the graphics chip itself. Factory standard on the 6600 is 300 Mhz, while standard on the 6600GT is 500 Mhz. Both have the same memory clocks, memory bandwidth and number of pipelines. It runs 67% faster. That's what you pay a little more for.
I see.....i still think i'll setle for the standard 6600.
The extra 67% probably wont be missed (coming from a Ti4200 to a 6600 should be 200% better allround...shouldn't it?)

Alexlovesguns
9th Jun 2006, 13:53
Tutorial, hideout, 12 actual missions and an epilogue. I found it fairly long. I got it on a Wednesday and didn't finish it until Saturday evening, playing every night.

I agree, and the levels are big and have lots of replay value.
I see BM has the real sequel to H2, contracts felt more like an average addon pack. If you run thru the game shooting you will beat it fast but if you play on expert and go for good ratings it will take you a while.

H:BM has it ups and downs but overall is a very rich experience and totally worth it compared to most games :cool: .

Quillan
9th Jun 2006, 14:05
I see.....i still think i'll setle for the standard 6600.
The extra 67% probably wont be missed (coming from a Ti4200 to a 6600 should be 200% better allround...shouldn't it?)

I think you might miss it in the long run. I don't have any comparative benchmarks to base this on, so it's strictly a WAG (Wild-Assed Guess). Or perhaps it's more of a SWAG (Scientific WAG, or estimate) because I used to have a ti4200 and then upgraded that to a 9800 Pro. The 6600GT is slightly more powerful than the 9800 Pro, and there was quite a lot of difference between the ti4200 and the 9800 Pro. Graphics card memory really only matters if the textures of the game in question need more than the card holds. There are only a few games that require more than 128 megs of texture memory, and most of those are beasts that require super graphics horsepower to run at those settings anyway. To get the highest quality on Doom 3 or Quake 4 they wanted a 512 meg video card, but I wouldn't even try that without the absolute top end. For most games the extra 128 megs of video memory will make little to no difference.

Also, there's another factor to consider. How quickly do you plan on replacing that computer? Since you have a ti4200 in it, I know you have an AGP graphics slot. Industry standard is now PCI-Express. While there are still AGP cards available, I predict they are going to become harder and harder to find, dropping out of existence entirely within the next 3 years. If you plan on keeping that computer for more than a year to a year and a half, I recommend that you buy the absolute most powerful video card you can afford. If you don't, you may wind up in the same situation within a year when something else comes out and your card can't handle it.

stegman
12th Jun 2006, 10:52
Also, there's another factor to consider. How quickly do you plan on replacing that computer? Since you have a ti4200 in it, I know you have an AGP graphics slot. Industry standard is now PCI-Express...
...If you plan on keeping that computer for more than a year to a year and a half, I recommend that you buy the absolute most powerful video card you can afford.
Yeah, i've been thinking the same thing. As it is my keyboard PS2 port has just gone faulty, so a newboard may well be needed. Then a new CPU too. And probablt a new PSU.

This game better be good. it's gonna cost me around £1000!!
FOR A THREE DAY GAME!!!!!!!

thanks, for your help.:)

Harry-UK
12th Jun 2006, 19:44
Check out my full in-depth review for all the information you need: ;)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=60749

stegman
13th Jun 2006, 09:03
Check out my full in-depth review for all the information you need: ;)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=60749

How old are you?
How old is every one?
How did you manage to get hold of the game if your under 18??
Illegal distribution from some vendors me thinks!

DucusSumus
13th Jun 2006, 13:04
Actually, it's not illeagal for retailers to sell M-rated games to minors. If they don't, then it's a store policy and nothing else.

stegman
13th Jun 2006, 13:16
Actually, it's not illeagal for retailers to sell M-rated games to minors. If they don't, then it's a store policy and nothing else.
Ok, but i'm assuming that Harry-uk is from the UK ....

Here we have a big red badge on the bottom left of the box with a big 18 on it. like this one here;

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lesj/18.gif

Meaning "this is not sutable for people under (insert age here)"

Now this review of his says he is still in school, plotting to kill another kid. I'd like to know how old he is and how old he looks and how he bought the game, or did his dad buy it?

...or is 2nd Lt Harry 'Wales' Windsor? :eek:

RAB
18th Jun 2006, 19:13
I was planning to upgrade my system anway and the release of blood money has sped up my motivation to do so. I am looking at getting the Radeon
X1600 PRO 512MB AGP.

Looks like a sound card, anyone think there is a more worth while card to be had?

Complete support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and Shader Model 3.0
512MB of DDR2 memory
128-bit DDR2 memory interface
12 pixel-shader processors
6 vertex-shader engines
500MHz core frequency
800MHz memory frequency
Dual link DVI-I, VGA, and S-video connectors