PDA

View Full Version : Slow Motion Problem

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 01:18
Hi everyone,

First time poster with an unusual problem running Blood Money. I'm posting here in the event that someone knows more than I do about this - I've searched for a solution and tried so many different things to fix it but have so far had no luck. Also posting in case anyone from Eidos checks in. It seems to be a problem others have experienced though no solutions have presented themselves.

It takes two forms. One; sound periodically dips out during cut scenes/ FMV. Happens about every two seconds for about a second. The audio is also out of sync with the video, particularly noticeable in the in-between level cut scenes. End result is that the audio finishes playing before the video.

Secondly; the game runs in slow motion. I don't mean the game is jerky with a very low fps, what I mean is, the game runs super-smooth it just happens to be running at about half the speed. All other graphical components, shadows, textures, effects, anti-aliasing etc etc, are all rendered perfectly. It just runs slow.

This isn't a problem with settings that are too high. It's not fixable by reducing resolution or bringing sliders down to low. All graphic, direct x and sound cards are up to date and current.

The incredibly annoying thing is that after first installing the game, I was able to play through to the Mardis Gras level without a problem. The slow-mo, audio sync problem occurred after this but I don't believe it has anything to do with a bug inherent in that particular level. Using system restore to roll back the computer to a date before the game was first installed doesn't work nor does uninstalling/reinstalling the game.

I have experienced this problem before with Max Payne 2. I'm no computer expert but I believe the problem is down to some setting/missing component on my computer and not the game itself. I've spent a lot of time trawling search engines for similar problems and it seems to be a fairly widespread affliction on a variety of different games. I've heard a number of potential solutions including disabling svchost.exe in task manager (though doing this seems to have little effect) and a suggestion to ensure the game runs with Direct3D and not Open GL though I have to confess I don't really know what that means.

So there it is. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced something similar, I'd appreciate any help.

Xcom
31st May 2006, 02:01
Interesting.

You say game ran okay (without slow-mo for some time and then suddenly "slowed down").

Hmm.. very curious. Try this.

Open HitmanBloodMoney.ini and add this line at the end.

EnableCheats

Save and close the file.
Start the game, load any mission and press "C" key.

You should see yellow debug menu and somewhere below there is an option "TimeMultiplier". What does the number read? 1.00 or something else? If it's 1.0 while game in slow-mo, then there is probably something on your computer that's affecting the game. In any case, you can try increasing the number by scrolling to that option and pressing RightArrow key. See if it does anything.

edit.

By the way, post your system specification? What is your CPU and Motherboard model? What Windows version are you running? This may also be caused by cpu-overheating. Is your processor overclocked?

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 12:09
Thanks for replying, I appreciate you taking the time.

You say game ran okay (without slow-mo for some time and then suddenly "slowed down").

Yeah, that's correct. I tried what you suggested - the TimeMultiplier value was set at 1.00. Increasing it to 1.20 makes it appear more normal. As a temproary solution this is pretty good. At least I can play the game more easily now so many thanks for that.

By the way, post your system specification? What is your CPU and Motherboard model?

Sorry, meant to do this in my original post. Got this from Belarc Advisor. Hope it lists everything. I'm pretty lost when it comes to this stuff.

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model
Dell Inc. Dimension 9100
System Service Tag: JKD9W1J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: JKD9W1J
Enclosure Type: Tower

Processor a
4.07 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Dell Inc. 0X8582
Serial Number: ..CN7082157BH084.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A01 05/25/2005

Drives
Memory Modules c,d
156.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
47.80 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.00 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Display
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
[Display adapter]
TEO RLT1720 [Monitor] (17.2"vis, August 2003)

This may also be caused by cpu-overheating. Is your processor overclocked?

Not to my knowledge. It's certainly not something I've done and assume the PC wouldn't come like that? Regards the overheating idea, is that something I can perhaps control with power management controls in the control panel?

The other thing that's throwing me off, of course, is the odd audio/video sync problem in the cut scenes. I know this screams "audio/video driver problem" but everything there is up to date. Could this be caused by a processor/overheating problem too?

I have a PC-smart friend stopping by later so I'll post whatever he comes up with. But thanks for your help, Xcom. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Mike_B
31st May 2006, 15:24
I didn't know the P4 already was at 4 GHz.. so like Xcom suggested it might be overclocked. Unless I'm missing the ball and those processors are already in stores.

Quillan
31st May 2006, 16:03
That is either wrong or definitely overclocked. P4 stock processors didn't reach 4 Ghz speed. I think 3.6 or 3.8 was about as high as they got. It might be a factory job; I've had two recent Abit motherboards that came with a default bus speed of 204 Mhz. 204 with a clock multiplier of 20 would give you 4080 Mhz CPU clock speed, so it sounds like that's what it's running, but I don't think the 20 multiplier is standard either.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 16:37
Thanks guys. I ran that 'Sandra' programme and it seems to think I have overclocking problems with the following;

Mainboard:

FSB exceeds Chipset speed. Reduce FSB
Memory bus speed exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB/memory multiplier.

Processors:

CPU FSB speed higher than rated FSB. Reduce FSB speed.
CPU speed higher than rated speed. Reduce CPU speed.

This is somewhat bizarre because I didn't overclock anything (I wouldn't know how) and as far as I can tell, Dell PCs are pretty un-overclock-friendly. Apparently the BIOS is locked out on a lot of their systems and overclocking is very difficult.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the PC really aside from this Hitman slow motion problem but if the overclocking is doing damage or reducing the unit's life then I'd want it put back. Do you think restoring the PC to its factory settings would sort out the problem?

The thought of getting Dell tech support involved and possibly sending the PC back for repair/replacement makes me want to cry.

Xcom
31st May 2006, 16:46
That would explain it.
In any case, you should get in the BIOS (if possible) and fix it.

Also, could you please get CPU-Z program:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Run it. Click CPU tab, and post everything it says under "Clocks" section.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 16:57
For what it's worth-

CPU-Z report

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
Name Intel Pentium 4 630
Code Name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 4 3
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package LGA 775
Core Stepping N0
Technology 90 nm
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
CPU Clock Speed 2992.5 MHz
Clock multiplier x 15.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 199.5 MHz
Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2992.5 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 630 (logical unit)

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer Dell Inc.
Motherboard model 0X8582,
BIOS vendor Dell Inc.
BIOS revision A01
BIOS release date 05/25/2005
Chipset Intel i945P/PL/G/GZ rev. 00
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7) rev. 01
Sensor chip SMSC 7901
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory
DRAM Type DDR2-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 266.0 MHz
FSB: DRAM 3:4
CAS# Latency 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 11 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Samsung DDR2 PC4300 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 Samsung DDR2 PC4300 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

Xcom
31st May 2006, 17:19
Hmm.. I am no expert, but that doesn't look wrong.. :scratch: FSB frequency x multiplyer matches cpu clock.

I am curious though. Could you maybe run Hitman for a while, the alt+tab out of it and run CPU-Z again to see if you get the same values. I am unsure as to why the other report mentioned you have 4GHZ cpu while CPU-Z say you have 3GHZ cpu. Could it be that there is some bios feature that automatically increases voltages when CPU is at full load.. ???

Have you tried getting into BIOS?

Quillan
31st May 2006, 17:20
This is now going over my head, but it's looking more and more to me like something is horribly wrong in that system. You noticed you got WILDLY different results from the Belarc Advisor and CPU-Z programs. So now, I have to wonder which is correct, or is it that your system settings are mysteriously changing while it's running? It's technically possible; Abit has a feature on some of their boards which allows for on-the-fly overclocking from Windows with no rebooting necessary. If for some reason your FSB and clock multiplier settings are changing mid-stream that could account for the behavior. I can also say your computer cannot be very old since you've got DDR-2 memory. You might want to pack it off to Dell for warranty service.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 17:52
Yeah, it's getting complicated for me too. I ran hitman for ten minutes or so and took another CPU-Z reading and it was pretty much the same. Plus, the hitman problem occurs from the second you start it so it's not like it seems to require a certain amount of overclocking before it craps out.

Here's what the Sandra report says, again contradicting CPU-Z.

< Processor >
Model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Speed: 4.42GHz
Performance Rating: PR5873 (estimated)
Cores per Processor: 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core: 2 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache: 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64
byte line size, 2 lines per sector
L2 On-board Cache: 2MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte
line size, 2 lines per sector

< Mainboard >
Bus(es): X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/
SMBus
MP Support: 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC: Yes
System BIOS: Dell Inc. A01
System: Dell Inc. Dimension 9100
Mainboard: Dell Inc. 0X8582
Total Memory: 1023MB DDR2-SDRAM

< Chipset 1 >
Model: Dell Computer Corp 82945G/GZ/P/PL Processor
to I/O Controller
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 294MHz (1176MHz data rate)
Total Memory: 1GB DDR2-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed: 4x 196MHz (784MHz data rate)

< Video System >
Monitor/Panel: Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

And;

<<< Processors >>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<< CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] >>
< Processor >
Model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Speed: 4.42GHz
Performance Rating: PR5873 (estimated)
Cores per Processor: 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core: 2 Unit(s)
Package: FC LGA775
Rated Speed/FSB: 3000MHz / 4x 200MHz
Multiplier: 15/1x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier: 1/1x / 15/1x
Generation: G8
Name: P4P-T/J (Prescott) Pentium 4E 90nm 2.8-3.8GHz
1.25-1.4V
Revision/Stepping: 4 / 3 (0)
Microcode: MU0F4304
Maximum Physical / Virtual Add:36-bit / 48-bit
Native Page Size: 4kB

< Co-Processor (FPU) >
Type: Built-in
Revision/Stepping: 4 / 3 (0)

< Processor Cache(s) >
Internal Data Cache: 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64
byte line size, 2 lines per sector
Internal Trace Cache: 12kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64
byte line size
L2 On-board Cache: 2MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte
line size, 2 lines per sector
L2 Cache Multiplier: 1/1x (4416MHz)

So I don't know what to say!

As far as getting into the BIOS, it doesn't seem to want to let me. I can access a setup menu which has limited options for change but hitting 'delete' does not bring up the usual BIOS screen. there may be some other combination of keys to access it but I'm unfamiliar with them

Sigh...

Xcom
31st May 2006, 18:06
It's very unlikely that you get locked out of BIOS entirely. Must be different key. Doesn't it tell you which key to press during boot-up. Try F1 or F2 if Del doesn't work.

Quillan
31st May 2006, 18:34
How recent are the versions of the test programs? I know CPUID releases new versions of CPU-Z regularly, so if some of them are old it might not be correctly recognizing newer components. I see the only one that is giving consistent results is CPU-Z. Sandra reports a speed of 3 ghz in one place and 4.42 ghz in another. 4.42 with a multiplier of 15 would be a 295 Mhz bus speed, which is a hell of an overclock.

Oh, and definitely try F1. I don't have any experience with Dells, but we've got a few old Gateways at work, and you have to hit F1 to enter the setup on them.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 18:55
F2 gets you into a mini set up menu which lets you adjust thing like SpeedStep and some power management things. It lists processor speed and such but doesn't allow you to change them. So far, F1 and delete don't bring up a BIOS menu. From reading sites on the net it seems any number of key combinations can bring up the BIOS menu ranging from function keys to CTRL ALT DEL.

Would an overclocked processor alone cause the kind of slow motion problem I'm experiencing or is it more related to overheating?

Do you think a factory restore would reap any benefits?

Xcom
31st May 2006, 19:13
F2 gets you into a mini set up menu which lets you adjust thing like SpeedStep and some power management things.

This might be it .. you know. (I've been doing some reading on Dells). Does it give you the option to disable SpeedStepping? If so, try it.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 20:07
Sorry, Xcom. Speedstep is already disabled. It comes under a 'Performance' heading listing Hyper-threading, Speed stepping and HDD Acoutsic Mode. Hyper-threading says it 'specifies whether each physical processor will appear as one or two processors.' It is currently on though I don't know what that implies.

There are a number of items under 'System' including System info, processor info, memory info, PCI info, date/time and boot sequence but all are there for information purposes only and can't be changed. I can't say for sure but I think there must be another BIOS menu somewhere. Will try some more key combinations.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 20:18
Can we regroup here for a moment? Clearly there is weird stuff going on with my pc internals. Overclocked or not, there's disorder in the bowels of this Dell. But... do you think this is related to the hitman slow motion, audio/video cut scene sync problem or not? I know it's confusing but best guesses would be appreciated.

Xcom
31st May 2006, 20:37
But... do you think this is related to the hitman slow motion, audio/video cut scene sync problem or not?

IMO, it's very much related. To put it simply, the game's engine "thinks" your system's running at speed X, while in reality it's running at speed Y... or something like that. :nut:

And at this point, I am out of ideas. There is definitely something fishy going with your system, either software or hardware-wise, that (possibly dinamically) affects either your CPU speed or FSB frequency and multipliers. From what I read, Intel's SpeedStep technology does exactly that, although it's usually found in laptops (and Dell Dimension is a desktop, AFAIK). Perhaps having a word with Dell support is not such a bad idea. I am pretty sure this is not related to Hitman game itself, and therefore, you are likely to see same phenomenon with the other titles, so I wouldn't let it rest if I were you.

As the last test, I guess you can try disabling HyperThreading to see if it changes anything.

clockwork9
31st May 2006, 20:56
No change with hyper-threading either. I think I'm going to start over again with the pc this weekend - spend some time backing things up before restoring the system to its factory settings. With a clean slate, I'll see if the overclocking situation continues and if so, will then contact dell and lay the smack down. I should consider myself lucky. I can at least play the game, albeit not under the best circumstances.

Many thanks to Xcom and Quillan for your ideas/support. Thanks for taking the time. After I've restored the system and reinstalled hitman, I'll post again to let you know what happens.

clockwork9
1st Jun 2006, 01:55
Inconsequential follow-up

After playing the game a little, I realised that the aforementioned audio/visual sync problem experienced during cut-scenes isn't some separate anomoly, it's the slow motion problem rearing its head again. The cut scenes play in slow motion and the audio 'pauses' every two seconds or so to allow the video to catch up. Althought this doesn't help me figure out what is causing the problem, at least I know that fixing the slow motion problem would also correct the cut scene weirdness.

clockwork9
2nd Jun 2006, 01:19
Guess what? I ran Ad-Aware today as a matter of course and it picked up on a few things in the registry. After deleting them, Hitman now runs fine. Can't honestly say that's what was causing the problem but something has been fixed and Ad-Aware is the only major thing I've done to the PC. Weird, no?

On an unreleated matter, anyone know how to get to the 8th floor in the Las Vegas hotel? I can finish the level without getting up there but can't for the life of me find an appropriate key card.

Xcom
2nd Jun 2006, 01:24
Guess what? I ran Ad-Aware today as a matter of course and it picked up on a few things in the registry. After deleting them, Hitman now runs fine.

^^ shoots himself #@

So, basically, some spyware registry entries were the culprits, and here we were -- inventing hardware conspiracy theories.. :nut: Well, I am glad you got it sorted out. :)

On an unreleated matter, anyone know how to get to the 8th floor in the Las Vegas hotel?

Sure. Get to the public balcony on the 7th floor where one hotel dude is smoking. From the you can climb to the 8th floor.

clockwork9
2nd Jun 2006, 01:49
Haven't checked into the whole over-clocking thing since the ad-aware clean up. Been having too much fun playing the damn game! Better run CPU-Z again to see if it's made any difference.

As for the seventh floor thing... your tip is quite literally the one thing I didn't try. I went outside every hotel room on the seventh floor in search of drainpipes except that public balcony. I knocked out security guards, porters, bodyguards, receptionists and guests in search of keycards. I snuck into the reception desk, the security room, I even tried searching the Sheik's limo! Sometimes when you try too hard you miss the obvious.

Thanks Xcom. Have to say, I haven't played the last level yet but the way it's been built up, it sounds terrifying.

Xcom
2nd Jun 2006, 02:04
your tip is quite literally the one thing I didn't try.

Obviously, you also didn't try the following:

strangling the scientist from top of the elevator, just in the beginning of the level. Then you can get his 8th floor card.

;)

clockwork9
2nd Jun 2006, 02:48
Nice idea. Only problem was that at the time I needed the keycard, the scientist was lying on the floor of his hotel room with a bullet in his head and didn't really feel much like using the elevator. ;)

Quillan
2nd Jun 2006, 03:50
Heh. I'm not that far in the game yet, but I'm glad you solved the slo-mo issue. I'd never have guessed spyware either.

Erik5388
24th Aug 2007, 00:34
I am encountering the same problem. It initially started in a different game (Dark Age of Camelot). I googled the problem and now Im here. After seeing that this slow-mo error has accured in hitman, I immediatly tested it out( I too have Hitman: Blood Money). Low and behold - Bingo! Slow-mo everything. ABSOLUTLY Terrible! So, in this case it is deffinetly not related to Hitman.

Ive read the thread mulitple times, and he fixed it by running the all to familar program Ad-Aware, by LavaSoft.

My problem however came after the ad-aware run.

Its thursday, thursday is my dedicated clean up day. I run - Ad-Aware, Spybot, Disk Cleanup, CleanUp!, and end it with a nice defrag. Here I am, about to play a game, the game starts up... Badda BOoom, SLOW MO!

It wasnt like this before, so why is it now?

What did I do?!