PDA

View Full Version : Why is the xbox 360 version more expensive?

Agent-CM
30th May 2006, 19:56
Hi i noticed that the XBOX 360 version of Hitman Blood Money is alot more expensive then the PS2 version. I was wondering why? Is it because the XBOX 360 version is better graphically or does it have more features then the ps2 version?

I will be getting the ps2 version either way i cant wait :)

martin88
30th May 2006, 20:06
Because xbox 360 games are more technically advanced, and its for a very new console, so its more expensive. PS2 games were the same price as 360 games backwhen the ps2 was new.

In time, the price will drop.

Agent-CM
30th May 2006, 20:13
So it still has the same features as the ps2 right?

Quillan
30th May 2006, 20:15
This is my own personal prediction, but I don't believe they will. P$3 will offer their new games at the higher price when it debuts too. I think that by the time that's been around for a while, people will be used to the higher price tag and they will keep the prices up. They will drop for older titles, and for sale items, but I think you'll see (I don't own a console) the higher price tags for new releases permanently. In all fairness, it's going to be quite a bit harder to develop games for the multi core processor systems, so more work will be involved.

Witchhunter
30th May 2006, 20:16
Yup the same. It has to do with the 360 being newer and the fact Microsoft wont be making any profit from the console itself, they make money from the games so the prices are higher.

martin88
30th May 2006, 20:20
This is my own personal prediction, but I don't believe they will. P$3 will offer their new games at the higher price when it debuts too. I think that by the time that's been around for a while, people will be used to the higher price tag and they will keep the prices up. They will drop for older titles, and for sale items, but I think you'll see (I don't own a console) the higher price tags for new releases permanently. In all fairness, it's going to be quite a bit harder to develop games for the multi core processor systems, so more work will be involved.

Naw, I still think they'll drop as they need to. In a market economy like ours, suppliers will always try to charge less than the competitors. Since there will be three main consoles out next year, each vying for sales, the price will remain low.

Wow,I actually leartn soming in economics.Still gonna fail the exam though.

Agent-CM
30th May 2006, 20:21
Thanks for the replies guys i am picking up Blood Money tomorrow :)

Quillan
30th May 2006, 20:25
That depends on the market, though. Once they figure out you'll happily pay the higher price, they don't drop it. Look at gas prices.

martin88
30th May 2006, 20:38
Thats becuase there is no subsitute good for gas.
We dont want to pay that much, we have no option but to pay that much, or spend huge amounts of money on a rubbish solar car.

Phew. THis thread has done more for myeconomics study then spending an hour reading mybooks has.

napmaster
30th May 2006, 20:43
That depends on the market, though. Once they figure out you'll happily pay the higher price, they don't drop it. Look at gas prices.

But gas is something you need. As the price goes up for gas, people have no choice but to buy it at the high price.

Games aren't needed. People can live without it. I think there will be a drop in prices, especially the old and used games. Game sales will probably not be as high as it is now because of the new, high priced games that will come out for the new systems.
My strategy is to wait until they become "greatest hits". That'ts where the prices go down.

martin88
30th May 2006, 20:45
I would mention inflation and stuff, but is that really an issue, or is my economics as crap as I thought?

Quillan
30th May 2006, 20:55
I'm not an economist either. However, it doesn't look to me like inflation really affects the price of games. PC games have been standard at $39.99-49.99 for years now. The only change I see normally is Collector's Editions. You're right about games not being necessities, and competition, but I just don't believe the price of games for the next gen consoles is going to go down for new releases. Time will tell.