PDA

View Full Version : Error when installing

ThaMezzy
26th May 2006, 18:32
I bought this game today, and was looking forward to install it and play it. I didn't want to try the demo cause' I wanted the element of surprise.

When I inserted the CD and pressed Install on the autorun, this error shows up after 5 seconds:

Error Code: -5003 : 0x8004ace8
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3052)
PAPP:Hitman Blood Money
PVENDOR:Eidos (***IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED***)
PGUID:A804B134-F03D-4EFD-9BC0-DCD257AA1B22
$11.50.0.42618

I have better system than the recommended one. I have Windows XP with SP2. I have downloaded every update that is available. What do I do?

Please help me.

Alexlovesguns
26th May 2006, 19:24
Maybe your DVD rom isnt reading it correctly?
See if you can install the demo, if you can install the demo it could be:
a) Problem with you DVD rom.
b) Emulation software (alcohol, Daemon tools) conflicting with the game's CP.
c) A faulty disk.

Try to remove any emulation software you might have installed and try to install the game then. Try to use a diferent DVD rom. See if your disk is in good condition.

If you post/rule out some of these someone might be able to help further :) .

Reien
26th May 2006, 19:25
Im not sure, but I checked the support for ya and the only real tip I can give ya Is to make a temp folder on your desktop and try to drag all the files from the Hitman Blood money CD 1 Into that folder, one of two things will happen.

1.You will get an error when trying to move the files, and If so your CD Is damaged.

2.All the files will come off and be placed In your folder, If this happens try running the SetUp.exe. If you still get the error, e-mail support.

Hope you can get It running.

Xcom
26th May 2006, 19:33
Try the following.

If "C" is your system drive, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\

There you should see directory called "InstallShield". Rename that directory to something else, for example "temp_is". Try running Setup now.

Alexlovesguns
26th May 2006, 19:44
Try the following.

If "C" is your system drive, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\

There you should see directory called "IntallShield". Rename that directory to something else, for example "temp_is". Try running Setup now.

"Installshield"?
In tall shield sounds like a safe place to be :rasp: .

Xcom
26th May 2006, 19:49
Yeah.. Well, it's been a busy day. :p

ThaMezzy
26th May 2006, 21:56
Xcom:

I'm about to give you a million dollars. It f*****g worked. OMG. I love you, man.
LOL. Thanks for all the help. Now I finally can install Hitman, and FEAR patches.

Thanks a lot.

Xcom
27th May 2006, 01:31
Glad it worked for you. :)

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 20:03
I'm also getting the 5003 error and can't get around it. Here's what I've tried:

- rebooting (several times)
- moving and deleting the Common Files\InstallShield folder
- deleting all temporary files from all temp directories
- killing all non-essential Windows processes through the task manager
- installing the latest motherboard and video card drivers
- installing DirectX 9c directly from Microsoft's web site
- renaming the cabinet.dll file
- running setup.exe directly rather than through the autorun splash
- copying the contents of the install CD onto my hard drive and running setup.exe from there

Now it seems I usually get another error, a bit earlier too: Install Shield Wizard - Setup has experienced an error. Please do the following: - Close any running programs - Empty your temporary folder - Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setups) Then try to run the Setup again.

Error code: -6003

Has anyone had the opportunity to talk to Eidos support about all of these installation problems we're having? I just bought the game today and Eidos support is closed. They claim in the game manual that their support reps mostly use the online Eidos support pages to troubleshoot problems but Eidos only has one such page for Hitman Blood Money installation problems and I've tried every suggestion listed (except for contact a rep and wait until at least Monday).

Any other ideas guys? I'd love to play the game today, or even this weekend.

Thanks.

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 20:24
I assume you deactivated anti-virus programs, firewalls and stuff before attempting the setup?

I don't know... this problems seems to happen only to very few people. Don't get me wrong here, but I doubt it actually a fault with the game's setup because otherwise a great number of folks would have been affected by this.

I have one more idea.

Go to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\

and see if you can find following folder:
{A804B134-F03D-4EFD-9BC0-DCD257AA1B22}

I just want to know if it's there and if there is anything inside it.

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 20:32
Thanks for the quick feedback.

No firewall or virus scanner is running. I checked the Program Files\Installsheidl Installation Information directory and the {A804B134-F03D-4EFD-9BC0-DCD257AA1B22} does not exist.

One other thing I will mention, in case it helps, is that when I delete the Common Files\InstallShield directory and then re-run the setup and get the -6003 error the Common Files\InstallShield directory is recreated with the following structure and single file:

Professional\RunTime\11\50\Intel32\setup.dll

I'm sure you're right that this isn't exclusively an issue with the Hitman installation itself but considering that I have installed many programs in the recent past on this PC, most of which were through InstallShield, with no glitches, I'm guessing that there is some configuration that Eidos didn't consider that I happen to have. I just wished I knew what it was.

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 20:52
I checked the Program Files\Installsheidl Installation Information directory and the {A804B134-F03D-4EFD-9BC0-DCD257AA1B22} does not exist.

Okay, then it eliminates that option.

One other thing I will mention, in case it helps, is that when I delete the Common Files\InstallShield directory and then re-run the setup and get the -6003 error the Common Files\InstallShield directory is recreated with the following structure and single file:

Professional\RunTime\11\50\Intel32\setup.dll

That is interesting. I think there should be more.

The last thing I could do is give you my InstallShield folder, just for the sake of experiment.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F1218BEC6CDE0CCB

Back up your InstallShield directory in Common Files and unrar mine. Make sure the directory structure is intact. If that doesn't do anything, then I have totally no idea what the problem is. :( In that case, restore back to what you've had.

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 21:17
Hmmm.. Interesting. I deleted my InstallShield folder and put your InstallShield folder into Common Files, reran the setup and now get the following (different) error:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (391)
$11.50.0.42618
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 232.64

Any idea about this one?

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 21:19
Hmmm.. Interesting. I deleted my InstallShield folder and put your InstallShield folder into Common Files, reran the setup and now get the following (different) error:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (391)
$11.50.0.42618
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 232.64

Any idea about this one?

One more thing. When I click OK for the error above I get an InstallShield Wizard error -5001.

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 21:23
Assuming that I can't get around these errors (though please don't stop investigating/suggesting fixes), does anyone know of a way to "manually" install Hitman? Is it possible to unpack the cabs from the installation DVD or something like that?

BrandonB
3rd Jun 2006, 21:26
Stupid question, but you do have Windows XP Service pack 2 right? (assuming you use XP). Make sure all the updates are installed for your computer.

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 21:29
Yes, I have XP SP 2 with all updates installed.

BrandonB
3rd Jun 2006, 21:32
Yes, I have XP SP 2 with all updates installed.

Hmm, not sure then.

Xcom
3rd Jun 2006, 21:33
Apparently, it doesn't like that.. *sigh* I guess because we have different OS builds or something. I guess you can remove my files.

Do you still have your original InstallShield folder, the one you had even before trying to install Hitman? If you do, try removing InstallShield folder (whichever is present) from Common Files again. Run setup. Ignore the error. Copy files from your original InstallShield folder to the new one created in Common Files, but DO NOT overwrite anything. Try again.

Also, do you have Administrator rights on your machine? It may be related to that (I've done some Googling).

Get AdAware and scan your system for spyware and other crap. You never know. We've recently seen that spyware can cause extremely weird problems.

Finally, back to {A804B134-F03D-4EFD-9BC0-DCD257AA1B22}

Open RegEdit by Start -> Run, Type "Regedit" and run.
Click "This Computer", then select in the menu, Edit -> Search.
Paste that exact string in the text field and search for it. Again, I'd like to know if it finds anything.

jlpp
3rd Jun 2006, 22:10
Unfortunately I don't have a pre-Hitman install backup of my InstallShield folder.

I verified that I am a member of the Administrators group so I have admin rights.

I downloaded and installed(!) Adaware and the scan turned up nothing other than a few cookies that I quarantined.

I searched the registry for the Product GUID (copied and pasted) and found nothing.

Man, I know this is tedious and I really appreciate all your help.

jlpp
4th Jun 2006, 05:08
In case anyone else is interested, I realized that the easiest solution for working around all these installation issues for me was to install the game on another computer (even though I knew it wouldn't be able to run on that machine) and then copy the installed game directory to the first computer. The only thing missing at that point was a couple of DLLs that I found were installed in the second computer's windows\system32 directory which I found by name, which appeared in the error when trying to start the game.

Thanks for all the help. I hope this doesn't afflict too many people!

peterocker
14th Jun 2006, 12:58
i have the same error too and its really frustrating if someone has any ideas tell me pls!

peterocker
15th Jun 2006, 17:41
look if you copy paste to the hard drive no errors will appear at least at me, but then in the installation, it would tell me that some files dont match a setup.cab something. the dvd isnt corrupt for sure because my friend installed it with my dvd, but then it crashed when loading, he has a geforce 4 mx xxxx