PDA

View Full Version : Problems with FF 8 voice actors

Crow
18th Jul 2012, 20:59
Here's something I'd like to share with everyone. A commonly overlooked thing in games is voiceacting. The fact that most voices have American accents. Now here's a problem with that in FF8. You can go to Balamb and Dollet and hear the term, "mum". Not "mom". This is a distinctly British attribute, not American. The man in Balamb who Zell knows says something like: You should go visit your mum. And if Squall, Zell, and Quistis were raised in Balamb then they would all pick up on the accent. So in Kingdom Hearts, FF Dissidia, and the like, Squall should not have an American accent. He should at least have a British accent, but from the dialogue Zell says, and the communication as well as the Balamb state, I would think that Balamb is most like New Zealand down in the southern Hemisphere next to Australia. Thus, I think all main FF8 chatacters (except perhaps Galbadians) should have New Zealand accents, or at least British accents.

Also, Squall is only 17 years old, so in FF Dissidia his voice shouldn't be so low.

member_10328220
18th Jul 2012, 21:05
i knew some high schoolers in my day with low voices that were 17 so that's not a factor here.

member_10027098
17th Aug 2012, 08:14
How do we know that this man Zell knows isn't from somewhere else? Besides, the entire script for FFVIII, save for the word "mum", gives no other insight into British nor New Zealand accents or slang.

Thewaywardmoogle
17th Aug 2012, 08:23
How do we know that this man Zell knows isn't from somewhere else? Besides, the entire script for FFVIII, save for the word "mum", gives no other insight into British nor New Zealand accents or slang.

this is a good point, i'd like to point out it was in the localization that these characters were made to sound british because of (most likely) a british translator. in all honesty everyone should be speaking japanese if you want to get technical. ^^ I have never minded the voice they chose for squall as i liked him in most games were he could speak even tho i didn't enjoy ff8

kcastro41269
23rd Aug 2012, 10:03
Here's something I'd like to share with everyone. A commonly overlooked thing in games is voiceacting. The fact that most voices have American accents. Now here's a problem with that in FF8. You can go to Balamb and Dollet and hear the term, "mum". Not "mom". This is a distinctly British attribute, not American. The man in Balamb who Zell knows says something like: You should go visit your mum. And if Squall, Zell, and Quistis were raised in Balamb then they would all pick up on the accent. So in Kingdom Hearts, FF Dissidia, and the like, Squall should not have an American accent. He should at least have a British accent, but from the dialogue Zell says, and the communication as well as the Balamb state, I would think that Balamb is most like New Zealand down in the southern Hemisphere next to Australia. Thus, I think all main FF8 chatacters (except perhaps Galbadians) should have New Zealand accents, or at least British accents.

Also, Squall is only 17 years old, so in FF Dissidia his voice shouldn't be so low.

And I know plenty of friends and family that says "mum", including me...and we're from the US.

Well they were all orphans, minus Rinoa, so they could be from somewhere else.

member_10078668
23rd Aug 2012, 12:42
I'm more pissed off that Ultimecia didn't have a Russian accent considering she pronounces her "c" as "k" in the original game. Dissidia made her sound retardedly tame.

JakeVII25
11th Sep 2012, 10:26
If they are going to remake FFVIII, they should definitely use British actors, specificially like the accent they have in Xenoblade.

new_tradition
11th Sep 2012, 13:34
They already gave Squall, Laguna and Selphie western accents in Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia. I'd imagine the use the same VAs for a possible FFVIII-remake.

Though characters like Irvine and Rinoa could have accents-they both came from Galbadia/Garden. It's plausible they would have different accents.

destruction7
19th Mar 2013, 13:57
Was not Bgms only? Voice acting really?

Canevari
22nd Aug 2013, 15:30

I'd like to interject with one detail in your statements that they all grew up together in balamb. You had no proof that the man Zell knew was from the same area as them. Plus the grabbed characters in the Kingdom hearts series except for a select few were not the same age nor style as their main counterparts in the final fantasy series they came from.