PDA

View Full Version : LoK: Remake or LoK:Sequel?

EternalWolf
25th Apr 2006, 02:23
Would you rather have a complete remake of the Legacy of Kain Series while keeping all the story elements and filling in all the plot holes in the series, with a new graphicaly and gameplay enhaced engine
-
Or
-
A sequel continiuing the series from where Defiance left off. The LoK Series needs to end sometime, possibly not now, but sometime.

demon_overdrive
25th Apr 2006, 08:41
Would you rather have a complete remake of the Legacy of Kain Series while keeping all the story elements and filling in all the plot holes in the series, with a new graphicaly and gameplay enhaced engine
-
Or
-
A sequel continiuing the series from where Defiance left off. The LoK Series needs to end sometime, possibly not now, but sometime.

Well most of the fans and followers of this series including me would definitely go with the sequel instead of a remake no matter what 'cause as far as i am concerned, i surely have got my set of memories of the past 5-6 years regarding the earlier games in this series and wouldn't want to ruin it and i am pretty much sure about the fact that other followers too would say the same.

card
25th Apr 2006, 10:41
My good man, I'd be happy with LoK ANYTHING. Remake, re-release, heck, even the simple mentioning of LoK by people high up would make me happy for weeks.
But I'd go for a sequel rather than a remake.

TBS
25th Apr 2006, 12:29
Obviously a sequel would be favourite...but a remake of BO1 would be great as well. When BO was made originally it was going to be a one off game and the writers hadnt thought of many of the plot threads which were added later, a remake could tweak some elements of the story to make everything fit together better. It could even extend the story to include the beginnings of Kain's empire and explain how Vorador came to be resurrected.

I dont think the other games need to be remade, whilst their graphics are obviously dated now they are all perfectly playable and any plot holes can be filled in a sequel. BO is the only game which new players may not want to go back to because of the graphics - trawling through a 2D world at 320x640 resolution may be nostalgic for those of us who have been fans from the beginning, but for someone who picks up Defiance in a bargain bin and wants to experience the rest of the story it could be very offputting.

FearGhoul
27th Apr 2006, 06:19
Vorador wouldn't be revived in a Blood Omen remake since in that timeline he stayed dead. Personally, I wouldn't mind a newer version of Blood Omen with only one change. GET RID OF THOSE DAMN LOADING TIMES!!!!!!!

TBS
27th Apr 2006, 20:09
Actually, all we know about the original Blood Omen timeline is that Vorador was executed and many thousands of years later in Soul Reaver there wasnt any sign of him being alive. He may have always been resurrected to help establish Kain's empire - thats for the writers to decide.

However, the thought occurs that they could "remake" Blood Omen...but instead have you play through on the altered timeline. For a long time fan of the series I think that would be quite cool, and for a newcomer it shouldnt be too confusing - perhaps include an intro FMV explaining that time was changed and that you will be playing through the changes.

If you want classic Blood Omen without the loading times just get the PC version - zero loading times on any modern computer and theres fan made patches out there to get the game working on XP.

GawdDawgs
27th Apr 2006, 21:45
I'd prefer a sequel. When it comes to remakes, BO1 is at the top of my list, while the other games are fine just the way they are (excpet maybe BO2). But BO1 plays almost exactly like popular games like Champions of Norrath and Balder's Gate Dark Alliance. They could easily update the game to something like Norrath. But I'd rather have a kick-ass sequel first.

I wouldn't mind a remake of BO2 either. Change the visual style to fit in more with the series, and fix all the dang glitches, maybe improve some gameplay elements, and it could be good. But that will never happen, so for remakes, BO1 all the way. The SR's dont need to be remade, but a SR directers cut would be cool, but now that Amy's gone, no luck.

fneh
27th Apr 2006, 21:48
SR1 remake with all the original missing parts put back in. Who cares about continuity?!?!?

weaponx
27th Apr 2006, 23:55
remake or sequel?

I honestly don't really care cos I've finished all the games and I feel Defiance finished on a good note but if I had to choose I would say I rather see a sequel

Legacy child
14th May 2006, 13:52
-
Or
-

A sequel would be nice, but also I think that a BO1 remake would be a hit!!! I know many younger people who didn't have the opportunity to play BO1 and now they have problems because they use Win XP etc... BO1 already has a good story so all it needs is a better look (something like Defiance or TRL or even better :) ) and there you have it - another best-seller :thumbsup: :)

Squint-eyed Sniper
15th May 2006, 16:31
Neigther....****
The series came quite to an end. And it is still nice to fantasiate yourself what happens to our lonely Kain...if there would be a sequel I think it would be a mess...and would only make things worser...its like if everything goes very good in your life and you try to make it better it gets worser then it was...well, my theory...:rolleyes:

Smoke_Z
15th May 2006, 20:38
They have a whole pack of rabid fans at their disposal. I think they need to lure us away from the bones of LOK and into a whole new series that will also be accessable to a fresh infusion of new fans as well as appealing to the old.

Supervamp
9th Sep 2008, 16:04
Taste the good things of life.....

Both!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Linikratyo
9th Sep 2008, 18:56
Sequil first. If the storyline ends, then I would like to see remakes...... :thumbsup:

FearGhoul
10th Sep 2008, 06:39
Sequal. I'm not a big fan of remakes.
Well, a Soul Reaver Special Edition would rule though... or making Soul Reaver 2 how it was supposed to be...

Raziel's daughter
10th Sep 2008, 12:52
My good man, I'd be happy with LoK ANYTHING. Remake, re-release, heck, even the simple mentioning of LoK by people high up would make me happy for weeks.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! I’d go for a sequel too.
Better to create something new than re-do something that already exists.

mort
10th Sep 2008, 13:33
why remake something that is pure gold only to risk it being half that value but more pritty?

out of all the games i love blood omen 1 the most, and that is the worst graphic's wise.

this is the problem with games today, all graphics and realistics but a big lack on game play and story.

AGEDOG
11th Sep 2008, 09:49
BRING BACK SOUL REAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad2:

SonicTeam
26th Sep 2008, 03:46
A prequel might eliminate the need for both Tony Jay's and Michael Bell's voice talents, and the framework for a game based on the Hylden/Vampire War already exists on the story boards for Soul Reaver 2 (all those murals could be put to use again). This would also provide a better idea for why the Reaver was forged in the first place: we know that it was supposed to be the ultimate weapon, but what necessitated its creation? We know that the conflict was started over the Pillars, but what were the Hyldens' designs for them? And what of the corruption of the Vampires that led to their bloodthirst? Based on inferences in the form of murals in Soul Reaver 2, we assume it was an act of the Hylden, but how did they manage such a massive feat? It might even be possible to incorporate Kain as a time traveler trying to prevent his own fate as Balance Guardian. Or perhaps Janos Audron could be the protaganist this time around. It seems as though a prequel offers many possibilities that preclude potential plot inconsistencies associated with making another sequel. After all, history abhors a paradox.

FearGhoul
26th Sep 2008, 06:22
We know that the conflict was started over the Pillars, but what were the Hyldens' designs for them?

I'm not sure where you got that idea from. The war was started because the Hylden refused to follow the god of the Ancient Vampires (and I'm guessing that they had developed some sort of immortality, otherwise, why would the Elder God care?). The Pillars were made by the Ancient Vampires to banish the Hylden to the Demon Dimension.
I do agree with you that playing in that time would be a pretty cool idea though. I'm not sure if Janos would be the best main character though. He doesn't seem like enough of a warrior to me. Maybe it could be some new Vampire character, or how about the Seer from Blood Omen 2, since it seems that she's an ally of Vorador?

SonicTeam
26th Sep 2008, 16:47
It was late and since I haven't played Soul Reaver 2 in a couple of years I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details. There are also by my recollection more inferences about many of the events of the war and the true purpose of the Pillars than definite facts. Maybe my ordering of events is screwed up, but I believe the Reaver was actually used in the war. If that were the case, then it suggests that the pillars were already erected and their respective Guardians appointed. This would also suggest that Janos Audron (the so-called 10th Guardian) had already been selected as the Reaver Guardian. But then again, I'm winging it here, so if anyone knows differently they ought to be light-handed when eviscerating my recounting of the history of Nosgoth.
In any case, I think a prequel is still the best use of the Kain franchise at this point in time (if they could get Amy Hennig on board as at least a consultant or even a script writer that would be good too). Z suggests that Janos isn't enough the warrior type, to be a good main character-even so, he seems so essential to the story that he ought to play an integral part of a prequel. I'm not sure if enough is known about Janos Audron to say that with certainty.
Perhaps if the prequel was set in the aftermath of the war Vorador could be selected as a protagonist. The object of the game could be the assassinations of the Pillar Guardians in this case.
On the other hand it might be interesting if it starred an as-of-yet unknown and forgotten vampire warrior or Lieutenant from the Hylden War.

FearGhoul
27th Sep 2008, 01:02
From what we've seen of Janos, it's tough to say if he's really the warrior type, but if there was a prequal during the war, I say he definately should be in it at least.
I also liked the murals in SR2 more. I liked the style of those much more than what was in Defiance. It's tough to say what exactly is the difference, though. I think the murals in SR2 just look more mural-like. And was the Reaver used during the war? This is something that's been debated here. I personally think that the murals in SR2 suggest that it was used during the war somewhat. Hmmm. We know that Vorador forged the Reaver, and that Vampirism was probably a gift that he asked for in return for forging it, so that could mean that the Hylden had already cursed them by then. Some of the events are hard to get in the right order still.

SonicTeam
28th Sep 2008, 02:06
. And was the Reaver used during the war? This is something that's been debated here. I personally think that the murals in SR2 suggest that it was used during the war somewhat.

It is as you say, I merely make inferences about the timing of the Reaver's forging and its use based on what can be seen in the murals. It should be noted that perhaps their author(s) took some license when painting them and aren't entirely accurate. :scratch:

On a side note, who says the game has to be combat oriented? It might be an interesting twist on the series to make a puzzle game starring Janos Audron. On the other hand, that would garner little in the way of sales-not what the franchise needs after the abysmal performance of Defiance.

I still like my ideas about Vorador or some random Vampire starring in the would-be title. it would be even more intriguing if a war chronicle for Legacy of Kain was made with a Hylden protagonist. Then there is the possibility of using Raziel again, only this time as a Sarafan Priest/Inquisitor. That particularly would be amusing, especially since much of that story already exists.

Then again, mabe Eidos should re-release Soul Reaver 2 with updated graphics as the concept originally intended (supposedly concept art and relics exist for three additional Forges and a lot more story, but they were abandoned in the interest of a timely release). Although I think Michael Dell's contract would likely require him to be a participant (if the additional audio doesn't already exist), if he were coerced in such a way he would probably leave for good after its completion. I would play a revamped SR2 on the PC or PS3.

shlmysfb
29th Sep 2008, 02:18
Apparently, following BO1, Silicon Knights was planning to do a Vorador prequel following BO1, but Crystal Dynamics decided to make a sequel with a new character (Raziel) instead. I've always thought it would be interesting to see how Vorador went from a presumably softie vampire like Janos (since Janos was his mentor) to a more human-hating vampire as he is in the games (except BO2 :rolleyes: ).

Either that, or a "Vorador, Kain, and Umah: Before BO2", where we could see his transition from human-hating back to the more peaceful old guy he is in BO2.

Actually, all that would be better in a prequel comic book. in reality, I'd much rather just have an LoK sequel starring Kain. And maybe Vorador, too. He's the man. :D

Not sure a remake would be worth it, though...

Linikratyo
29th Sep 2008, 15:27
MAKE A GAME WITH VORADOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Rivenmjk
1st Oct 2008, 08:10
:scratch: uh i dunno about you guys...but i just want to see it end....

Carnivorous Licks
28th Nov 2008, 09:36
I would prefer a continuation of the story rather than a remake. :o

Andarthiel
30th Nov 2008, 15:10
:scratch: uh i dunno about you guys...but i just want to see it end....
Ditto, finish the story first and worry about remakes after.
A Soul Reaver 1 or Blood Omen 1 remake would be pretty sweet but only after they make a sequel and hopefully a conclusion.

krycekuva
1st Dec 2008, 02:18
a remake of the entire serie starting with blood omen1, and ending with defiance... bt that with the newly developed engine crystal dynamics its using in TRU or one even better,.. but there shoudnt be anything left out...

it could be even easier,.. they should perhaps just work over the last 4 games since they use the same engine, just upgrade the graphics to next gen. add new areas, and well,... revision the entire first blood omen. it could be sold as a 2 dvd collection game, or even by parts. but most important, nothing should be left out.

Supervamp
23rd Dec 2008, 18:08
:mad2:I would like both but if I MUSt choose I prefer a continuation first!

I would prefer a continuation of the story rather than a remake. :o

13th_clone
4th Jan 2009, 20:35
I agree i'd rather see an ending first, though i'd happily take either. But i also think that they might have a better time of it to remake BO1. Get new people into the story and interested in the series, and then make another sequel and perhaps many more people would be interested in it.

Pilotslover
8th Jan 2009, 20:12
Does anyone else remember the hoax regarding a game about Kain's lieutenants? I would LOVE for that to have been real!

Aranor
14th Jan 2009, 22:38
I would choose one then the other. First a complete remake (all in one package) Make all of them take place within the same engine and an enlarged world so that all of the sites can be put in and visitable. My main complain with the series save Blood Omen and a bit of Soul Reaver is the direct path you must follow. Very little for exploration. Anyway do this to satiate the appetite of old followers while alluring new ones then release the finale using the same engine in a seperate package nine months later. Perhaps add in the Vorador storyline as an unlockable after you have completed the story.

Kousin Kevin
11th Apr 2009, 09:36
I think BO1 needs and deserves a remake if it's Legacy is to live on in todays world with much higher expectations form a videogame.'

That said, the saga is not over, and the next game should be the conclusion, that way we may let Raziel's soul rest, and stop worrying about it. Kain ultimately must destroy the Elder God, as the Elder God is obviously fallible. We do not know the Elder GOd's origins, but it is obvious he has evolved (much like the liutenants in SR1) into a monster whose stagnance must end.
Chances are Kain will replace him, (or at least commit suicide and rest in peace.) but not before 1) leaving the Soul Reaver to be found by himself at Avernus and 2) making sure he and Raziel are remembered by future generations. One way or the other, the Vampres will again become the prominent race in Nosgoth, and possibly the Hylden and Vampires will reach an agreement of peace, the one side endig the curse of the Blood thirst, and the Vampires crushing the pillars (since the Hylden will no longer try to destroy Nosgoth adn that means the state of the pillars are unimportant) as a show of peace and lettng the Hylden back to Nosgoth.

Happy ending.

FearGhoul
11th Apr 2009, 22:26
I think it would be a good idea to just do a direct port of Blood Omen onto PSP or DS (not that I have either though) and just make one change. Yes, I'm sure you know what that is. To reduce or remove the loading times of course!

mega man
13th Apr 2009, 08:40

man i feel same and my feelings are deep

Guardian of Spirit
9th May 2009, 13:36
I agree with SonicTeam: i'd like to see the events before, during and right after the Great War among vampires and hyldens... that would enlighten many aspects of the story...

Also I'd like to see a real sequel...seeing what happened after Raziel's sacrifice...
if the Pillars would be restored and the land of Nosgoth with them...
I'd like to see if there is some hope to see the vampire race repopulated again, healed from the curse and some sort of agreement between humans and vampires... maybe trying (maybe:p) to find harmony with the Hyldens too...

And...

My big big greatest desire of all....:
SEE RAZIEL FINALLY RESURECTED LIKE A LIVING HEALED VAMPIRE!!!!

Razielhunter
25th May 2009, 07:39
This is what i believe...

As i have read through the posts i remember some people saying that it is difficult to bring a new game to continue the story because many people do not know the whole thing and it will be hard for them to understand it...

So why not make a remake of the old ones in new HD graphics... ok there are 5 games... A lot of work.. but i think that is one way for us (the big fans) to get the sequel that we all want.

I would like to see a conversion of SR1 with SR2... Blu-Ray its big enough to have them both in one... and it would be great to see the SR2 in a big open world... like SR1.

Linikratyo
25th May 2009, 16:14
Eidos has said before that they aren't interested in remakes... so no chance there yet...

Vampmaster
26th May 2009, 20:04
If the series goes back to BO1 before finishing the story and then takes it an entirely different direction where SR1/2, BO2 and Defiance never happened, it would feel like a playing those games was just a waste of time. I'd rather the series had a proper ending than kept going if only place it was going to go was nowhere.
I'd accept a remake (SRSE :D), but not a reboot that scrapped everything that's happened so far. As long as I don't have to wait another 10-15 years to see the ending.

Squint-eyed Sniper
6th Jun 2009, 11:41
what sequel? do you guys seriously want the perfect story be ruined?

I'd go for a remake 100%, and even then, if it's done by the right people

Balance_Reaver
6th Jun 2009, 12:15
do you guys seriously want the perfect story be ruined?
No, we want the perfect story to be finaly finished.

DeifiedKain
7th Jun 2009, 06:35
This is what i believe...

As i have read through the posts i remember some people saying that it is difficult to bring a new game to continue the story because many people do not know the whole thing and it will be hard for them to understand it...

They can always have an opening prologue scene with Kain explaining the events before the actual game play just like Defiance did, but with some actual dialogue. This would help.

Balance_Reaver
7th Jun 2009, 10:58
They can always have an opening prologue scene with Kain explaining the events before the actual game play just like Defiance did, but with some actual dialogue. This would help.
Yes, that will be great!

Razielhunter
9th Jun 2009, 11:59
I agree with the above comments... but i would prefer an extra movie on the disc explaining the story so far...

Ahasverus
11th Aug 2009, 19:43
I would like a kind of "ultimate trilogy", the first game could be a remake containing Blood Omen 1 and 2 with added things (But made together... do you undestrand? :P) the second game a raziel remake with soul reaver 1 and 2 and the third game could contain defiance (Remake?) and the final chapter. Ambitious but good :D

qwarq0
5th Mar 2010, 19:10
I would say remake and new series,
but if i only had 1 option.
Remake. Blood Omen use all Audio + added audio
To end the Series do the final option of good/bad but Kain content with the right decision.
All B.O. powers and spells need to be included . from Kains arsenal plus his new ones over the series.(very important)..kain would start off with his defience powers an relearns the old powers . to finish the game
(gamplay over graphics not that it matters now that ps3 developing has improved)
Add.unlock secret mini story gamplay for Vorador, Yanos , and of coarse Raziel much like resident evils Hunk.{but longer}
And for the replay factor add a mission editor like tenchu 2
and be able to create your own character from the npcs included in the game. and use it in the mission editor aswell as kain vorador ,Raz ,all the different characters of the series and their powers
and throw in a 4-8 online thing like gta for replay aswell.
then end it once and 4 all.

Vampmaster
8th Mar 2010, 00:25
A great way to recap the previous games would be to use the chronoplast visions. It would allow Kain to stick to the minimum details on Raziel and the Soul Reaver's origin, but the player could visit the chronoplast at any point if he/she wants to see more of the back story. It could even unlock bit by bit as the story progresses or as the player finds items in the game.

Raziel'sRevenge
9th Mar 2010, 03:25
A great way to recap the previous games would be to use the chronoplast visions. It would allow Kain to stick to the minimum details on Raziel and the Soul Reaver's origin, but the player could visit the chronoplast at any point if he/she wants to see more of the back story. It could even unlock bit by bit as the story progresses or as the player finds items in the game.

Agreed, and there's nearly endless possiblities for it. That could be used to clear up quite a few of the plot holes as well. Rather than having to go through the trouble of working in a new temple to bring you to another time, just have a sort of interactive chronoplast vision...

FearGhoul
9th Mar 2010, 04:55
Kind makes me think. Anyone ever played Eternal Darkness? In that game, the main character, Alex, reads from The Tome of Eternal Darkness and as she reads each part of it, you play the person she's reading about. Maybe something like that could be done with Kain being the main character in a game, but we'd then get to play as other people like Vorador, Janos, or Malek, with us taking them over as Kain views that point of history in the Chronoplast.

The_Hylden
9th Mar 2010, 20:57
If people haven't played Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, they need to slap themselves as hard as possible in the face, then head right out and acquire it. Great game, with Richard Doyle and Michael Bell also voicing.

And that's a very good idea, Vampmaster, and the follow-ups to it above :)

Tverdyj
23rd Mar 2010, 05:11
Sequel, please.

I want to know how the story would end.

Bound2Fate
27th May 2010, 01:05
I came across an interesting idea for a remake on another site. Considering they're making a isometric Lara Croft game, they could remake Blood Omen like that as well. I would still prefer an entire new game to finish the series though.

madforraziel
18th Jun 2010, 18:56

Hahahahah you are just like me. :D