PDA

View Full Version : Why is next gen graphics disabled

fiasco
24th Apr 2006, 04:08
Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo using latest Omega drivers. 1.7 Pentium M.

Next Gen option is disabled.

Tried it on a PC
Northwood 3.0 Pentium w/ ATI Radeon X800XT 256mb Video card

Glider
24th Apr 2006, 04:31
Probably because you are not using an NVidia card. :rolleyes:

(The game doesn't like my system with a Radeon 9800 Pro either. :( )

Leak
24th Apr 2006, 07:12
Probably because you are not using an NVidia card. :rolleyes:

(The game doesn't like my system with a Radeon 9800 Pro either. :( )
Whoa... what is it with the internet and conspiracy theories popping up all over the place like mutant mushrooms? :D

Next-Gen mode needs Shader Model 3.0 hardware support, and that's something your cards don't have:

See for yourself... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_games_that_require_Pixel_Shaders) :)

fiasco
24th Apr 2006, 07:51
Still looks nice @ 1280 x 720 w/ all options (except next gen) enabled on my Panasonic 60" LCD RPTV though.

Montresor
26th Apr 2006, 10:08
It's funny, I enable 'next gen' and it does it's wacky thing everyone is whining about (including myself).

Go to the registry see 2.0 and 3.0 both enabled.

Via registry...

Disable 3.0, next gen is still on and works.

Disable 2.0, next gen gets shut off in game...

DOES it really use 3.0 and if so, how much?

Jurjen
26th Apr 2006, 10:28
If you disable 3.0 you fall back to an unsupported codepath that has a lot of visual issues, lacks specific features, and more (or maybe just other performance problems.

I believe the 2.0 code tends to be slower framerate wise, but suffers from less stuttering. (The stuttering that recent NVidia drivers mostly fixed though.)

Montresor
26th Apr 2006, 11:09
If you disable 3.0 you fall back to an unsupported codepath that has a lot of visual issues, lacks specific features, and more (or maybe just other performance problems.

I believe the 2.0 code tends to be slower framerate wise, but suffers from less stuttering. (The stuttering that recent NVidia drivers mostly fixed though.)

Eer... clean install 1.1 with any set of nvidia drivers has a truckload of visual issues.

The TRL SLI profile helps the stuttering a bit, but not to the point of playability.

Coolbits enabled the 'alternate' sli profiles on older drivers w/o the benefit of the TRL label.

Jurjen
26th Apr 2006, 12:14
Regardless of what the release notes may specifically say, the new Nvidia drivers do significantly more to reduce the stuttering as just the SLI profile (which will only help for SLI cards).

JANKERSON
27th Apr 2006, 14:11
Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo using latest Omega drivers. 1.7 Pentium M.

Tried it on a PC
Northwood 3.0 Pentium w/ ATI Radeon X800XT 256mb Video card

There is a way to turn NG on for your Card. :D

I did it on my system with a X800 Pro and it looks really good. :)

You will have to turn off AA for it to be playable though as the X800 Series isn't powerful enough to play with AA enabled.