PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 VGA - letterbox problem

jerimiahf
23rd Apr 2006, 04:55
Upon purchasing TRL today for my 360, I started playing and saw something VERY annoying with the game's cutscenes.

When the game goes to cutscenes, the top letterbox black bar has a horizontal 1 pixel high line about 1" or so above the action window. And what's really odd is that it would seem that the remaining black box below it was put there to HIDE some of the view of the game. I know because the line is transparent and you can see a continuity of what's in the action window up there where the line is - and it's proportionately there meaning that I'm missing 1" or so of the cutscenes. The line also continues down the left side of that 1" high black box into the action window so you can see CLEARLY that the black box is hiding stuff here.

I'll try and get a screen shot of it with my dig cam - but this game has issues. Also had the first fight scene where you're on the rock platform after running across the rope bridge with the heli - the enemies were shooting at me and white lines were coming from the character's guns. Only happened during that one cutscene but came from every character as they shot at me.

Oh that and you can see the damn screen looks compressed when it shouldn't be... so Lara looks weird. And I run my Xbox 360 on a 19" LCD (non widescreen) monitor in 1280x1024 mode running in Standard (not widescreen) setting so I know it's THIS game as all my others run fine. And I use the offical Xbox cable too.

qazszWREK
23rd Apr 2006, 06:11
if you choose to run the game in widescreen on a 1280*1024 monitor like yours, will it add letterboxes to get 16:9 or will it stretch out?

Leak
23rd Apr 2006, 08:55
you can see CLEARLY that the black box is hiding stuff here.
That's deliberate - it's meant to show you that this is a movie part, not one where you're supposed to do anything. (You know, like in "letterbox = movie"...)

np: Pilot Balloon - Earth To Kurtwood (Being Kurtwood)

jerimiahf
23rd Apr 2006, 13:44
Right - but why would they go ahead and add an additional bar of about 1" and then do it so poorly that there's a 1 pixel line around the left and top of that box to show they are clearly leaving some of the display out.

I can't be the only person annoyed with it as this isn't the only problem - the screen being misproportioned during GAMEPLAY is a problem. It looks squashed and stretched. Seems EIDOS didn't test everything out when the game went through QA.

Leak
23rd Apr 2006, 15:19
I can't be the only person annoyed with it as this isn't the only problem - the screen being misproportioned during GAMEPLAY is a problem. It looks squashed and stretched. Seems EIDOS didn't test everything out when the game went through QA.
Well, I've got the PC version, but there's a "Widescreen" setting in the display options that'll squash and stretch the screen - it's for using 4:3 resolutions with widescreen displays that'll stretch the image to 16:9, not for use with normal 4:3 and 5:4 displays. If there's something similar on the XBox 360, you'll probably want to turn it off...

The game looks perfect in 1280x1024 on my PC, so I can't think of a reason why the same shouldn't be true for the XBox 360...

np: Yello - Eternal Legs (Solid Pleasure)

jerimiahf
23rd Apr 2006, 23:34
While the game engines are the same, there are always specifics that differ from game system to PC and to other game systems ironically.

In this case unless the same thing plagues the PC version - this is an Xbox 360 only issue right now. And yes I've tried various widescreen/regular and resolution settings - otherwise I wouldn't be posting this :)

I've Emailed the tech folks at EIDOS to see what they have to say. I realized that the 1 pixel line on the left side goes ALL the way down to the bottom - so it's even worse than I first thought. Makes the game look weird from my POV. $54 for what - a beta release in some ways -I've been reading about all the other 360 users' problems as well.

noxdg
24th Apr 2006, 03:14
Can Xbox games receive patches/updates?

I know there's downloadable content like extra levels and such. I thought maybe it can patch too.

Leak
24th Apr 2006, 07:08
And yes I've tried various widescreen/regular and resolution settings
Do you mean settings in the XBox 360's setup/configuration or in the game itself? On the PC it's a setting in the game's options menu where you can toggle stuff like shadows, anti-aliasing and the next-gen option.

I just can't believe nobody else would have noticed this or have this happen if it were a bug.

I've Emailed the tech folks at EIDOS to see what they have to say. I realized that the 1 pixel line on the left side goes ALL the way down to the bottom - so it's even worse than I first thought. Makes the game look weird from my POV.
Well, that one column and row are in the overscan area on "normal" TV sets, so you wouldn't ever see those lines there.

Also, I've gotten similar artifacts on the PC on other games when I had anti-aliasing turned on - it might also be the graphics hardware not drawing those lines or drawing them partially transparent when it should not.