PDA

View Full Version : is Rutland the most random guy or what?

amazonian
22nd Apr 2006, 18:32
ok maybe i missed it, but why would a rich government official's son be out looking for excaliber? and how did amanda meet him anyway?

gopher666
22nd Apr 2006, 20:35
answers on the back of a postcard addressed to.........ah to hell with it, wait for the next installment.

munchkin
23rd Apr 2006, 01:27
i'm sure it provided the answer to that in one of zips fill ins, he went o major private schools in the US didn;t do much acedemically or sports wise, had aload of daddys money, rich playboys getting into scrapes.

the rest is easily assumable.

beccaxx

Nightmist
23rd Apr 2006, 01:29
The most impressive of bad guys he surely was not, though. I remembered him about as long after I had killed him as I did cat #4.

JamesArcher
23rd Apr 2006, 01:43
lol to be honest killing him was just like killing one of the normal guys i dont think i even noticed until amanda kicked off

Resy
23rd Apr 2006, 01:45
I think him and Amanda had some sort of business arrangement. He probably had the money to fund her little exploits and got himself a piece of the sword. However those of us who finished the game know without his piece of the sword he was even more useless. I am reminded of the guy you get one of the artifacts from in TR3. The first guy. I died more often against him because of miss judged jumping on my part then most other TR bosses combined.

JamesArcher
23rd Apr 2006, 01:56
lol u mean the guy who always seemed stoned in tr3

TRfan
23rd Apr 2006, 02:25
well... Amanda's not dead. I wonder what she'll do in the next game:eek:

JamesArcher
23rd Apr 2006, 02:32
prob come back for another taste of lara's pistol....yummy! :p

Resy
23rd Apr 2006, 02:54
lol u mean the guy who always seemed stoned in tr3

Yeah that one lol.

JamesArcher
23rd Apr 2006, 11:39
he always made me madder everytime i saw him.....i was like what i prat! and :mad: i need to kill you now!

meznu
23rd Apr 2006, 14:01
ok maybe i missed it, but why would a rich government official's son be out looking for excaliber? and how did amanda meet him anyway?

I don't know how they met, but I assumed that he was helping Amanda look for Excalibur because they love each other and that's what she wants. Amanda's "James!" and Lara's "I'm sorry, Amanda...Truly" during the closing cinematic seem to make James and Amanda's relationship clearly apparent. Why Amanda was seeking to journey to Avalon might simply be answered, from reading her bio and my take on her personality, as "'cause it's there." :p In fact, I think it's this "wild" streak that probably drew James to Amanda in the first place. That's just my inuition, though. It's technically baseless.

It seemed odd to me when I got to Kazakhstan and Alister said something about "Amanda's men." How did this back-from-the-dead nitwit (whom I LOVE, don't get me wrong) put together a huge international assault team? But by the end of the game I realized that they were all Rutland's and Amanda's men - they were a team! I loved that. For me, this made James Rutland significantly memorable because he evidently loves Amanda very, very much to support her work since, as he said in Ghana, "history doesn't interest <him>." If that's not an exact quote, please forgive me. That kind of devotion between villains and Amanda's clear desire not to cause harm are both very, very intriguing. It also means that Amanda has (oops, HAD) something that I think Lara can never have, a devoted romantic partner whom she loves as an equal. And Lara took that away - ouch. It even makes Lara's actions throughout Legend seem a bit questionable as, technically, looking for the sword fragments had nothing to do with her. She chose to get involved and she totally ruined Amanda's personal goals. Had she not chosen to go after Rutland (so funny considering what she says in Nepal!), she likely would not have found herself at the dais the day Amanda and James re-activated it and her mother might never have pulled out the sword. James Rutland might not have been killed. Ah well, 20/20 hindsight, as they say. Thank the stars that perfect Lara makes mistakes. A revamped - and in my opinion, better - origin story was born, as was a truly sympathetic villainess. Nice work indeed, Crystal Dynamics! The complexity of Legend's story with the simple elegance and "action flick" fun in how it's told is what makes me love it and all of its characters so much!

Beechwell
23rd Apr 2006, 15:04
From what I understood, Rutland was mostly interested in the power the sword grants. To him, it's just a powerful weapon (similar to Takamoto). It remains unclear wether Amanda approached Rutland to get help in finding the artifact, offering some of its power in return, or wether he learned about it from his friend/lover Amanda and decided he wanted a part of that sword for himself. I doubt that his love for Amanda was as strong as vice versa, he comes across as rather self-absorbed.

It even makes Lara's actions throughout Legend seem a bit questionable as, technically, looking for the sword fragments had nothing to do with her. She chose to get involved and she totally ruined Amanda's personal goals. Had she not chosen to go after Rutland (so funny considering what she says in Nepal!), she likely would not have found herself at the dais the day Amanda and James re-activated it and her mother might never have pulled out the sword.
Actually the sword has everything to do with Lara, since it's the key to her mothers fate in Nepal. So that's what she is after throught the game. She only follows Rutland once, to Paraiso, and that's because he hinted there was another fragment of the sword there.

meznu
23rd Apr 2006, 15:17
From what I understood, Rutland was mostly interested in the power the sword grants. To him, it's just a powerful weapon (similar to Takamoto). It remains unclear wether Amanda approached Rutland to get help in finding the artifact, offering some of its power in return, or wether he learned about it from his friend/lover Amanda and decided he wanted a part of that sword for himself. I doubt that his love for Amanda was as strong as vice versa, he comes across as rather self-absorbed.

Aww... You might be right, but aww... :D

Actually the sword has everything to do with Lara, since it's the key to her mothers fate in Nepal. So that's what she is after throught the game. She only follows Rutland once, to Paraiso, and that's because he hinted there was another fragment of the sword there.

While of course I get that the sword is in fact essential to Lara's origin and life, she was only originally after the dais. She had even seen the sword fragment in Japan before and never connected it. It's not what she was looking for. It becomes what she's looking for after she sees it. But I guess that was bound to happen.:) Following Rutland to Paraiso is what leads Lara into the rest of the game. Had she been content to discover the dais or had Rutland not been waving the sword fragment at her, Amelia might not have vanished and Rutland might still be alive. I just think it's interesting how well-constructed the plot is, the way things depend upon each other. It could've easily been a mess, but there's a real sense of a linked chain of events and fate. Nice work, Eric Lindstrom! :D :thumbsup:

Resy
23rd Apr 2006, 18:07
If Rutland had kept his mouth shut and had not even mentioned Amanda then Lara probably would not have gone to Peru to find out for herself. Also Amanda talked of Lara to Rutland a lot which suggests she and James both knew they were looking for what Lara was looking for. I feel no emotion for the fact that dear James is dead. I don't actually think he is. When Lara comes charging in all bad ass and says anyone that stands before her and the Dias is dead and sweeps them away, Amanda and James live. James is really hurt though and orders the men to attack. Of course they die to and Amanda uses her powers to become the final boss.

Since we don't actually see Rutland die, I believe he is somewere unconscience since the fighting began. I bet he wakes up and finds its just him and Amanda who probably has a broken face from that gun slap. Lara is gone.

TRBeth
23rd Apr 2006, 20:09
There really is not point to this character. If he had been left off of the game, along with zip and alister, the game would not have missed a thing.

amazonian
23rd Apr 2006, 20:30
oh i love that they included Alister and Zip. when i play it i feel like im not alone lol

Nightmist
23rd Apr 2006, 22:41
The feeling of not being alone sort of ruins the spooky atmosphere, though. Also, I dislike when Lara is completely out of character in the cut scenes. Like when silly-boy Rutlame strolls onto the bridge to talk to Lara. Then after he's done talking, Lara just stands there while he walks back, knowing well that his men will start shooting at her as soon as Rutlame is out of the way. If the conversation was happening while you were in control of Lara, how many would gun down Rutlame before he could walk back to his men and tell them to shoot Lara?

I know I would. And I'm pretty sure Lara would as well, if it wasn't for the plot demanding that Rutz lived.

munchkin
24th Apr 2006, 02:20
oh i love that they included Alister and Zip. when i play it i feel like im not alone lol

me too :) i mean heck ultimatly LAra is still alone. i mean hello alittle imagination people. come on she is still deep in the depths of a temple with her wits and skill being what saves her, the guys are back in merry england talking only over a headset, its not like she has company down there or anything, what can they do practically in the immediacy if lara gets in trouble?

sometimes i wonder if anyone reads books or does anythign else to develope an imagination,

oh and just a hint she let rutland live becasue she is curious about his mention of amanda and the sword stuff he talsk about, she needs or wants him alive until she can find out what he knows. (obviously)

again alittle imagination :rolleyes:

beccaxx

Silver_Rain
24th Apr 2006, 02:31
me too :) i mean heck ultimatly LAra is still alone. i mean hello alittle imagination people. come on she is still deep in the depths of a temple with her wits and skill being what saves her, the guys are back in merry england talking only over a headset, its not like she has company down there or anything, what can they do practically in the immediacy if lara gets in trouble?

I couldn't agree more:thumbsup: Unlike most others I find their chattering and comments quite amusing:D Ok, so they can get annoying at certain points, but for most parts I feel it helps filling in the storyline. It kind of makes Lara more of a human being to have someone to interact with(even if she's deep down under ground in some tomb). I felt that it added to the realism of the game to have them working with finding out all that stuff back in the mansion, it gave the plot some depth in some funny way. Besides, they were there more for a source of amusement rather than actual help....I think I can count the number of "telling-Lara-what-to-do-next" comments on one hand. Actually I found myself laughing out loud at some of the comments and I wouldn't at all mind seeing them back in future installments:D