PDA

View Full Version : TRL Review "She's gunning for the truth"

Psychopompador
21st Apr 2006, 16:17
She’s gunning for the truth

BILL HUTCHENS; THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Published: April 21st, 2006 01:00 AM

She’s done a lot of digging around for links to the bygone eras of many ancient civilizations, but Lara Croft hasn’t spent much time looking into one aspect of her own shrouded past.
We have seen Lara as a girl, and we have learned a little bit about her father, the late Richard Croft, Earl of Abbingdon.

But in the latest Tomb Raider game, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend, Lara pursues the truth about the death of her mother.

Tomb Raider: Legend, available for the PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360, can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. On the easiest setting, you can breeze through a satisfying puzzle/adventure game in about 10 to 12 hours. But be prepared to invest many more hours if you intend to discover every secret at the more difficult game settings.

Tomb Raider Legend brings back some of the magic of the early Tomb Raider games for the original PlayStation console. The old Tomb Raider games were graphically superior to most other games of their time, and they incorporated game-play mechanics that have become standard in adventure games. Pushing and pulling objects in ancient ruins in order to solve puzzles is something you can find in many post-Tomb Raider games. The same goes for trap doors, hidden alcoves, false shelves, secret levers, booby traps and all manner of arcane rooms in dusty ancient temples.

Lara’s new adventure takes her to Bolivia, England, Russia, Nepal, and all over Africa and to many other locations in pursuit of sword fragments she hopes will help reveal the fate of her mother.

Our adventurer goes high-tech this time with a PDA that keeps her connected to her research team, binoculars that can analyze rock formations and building structures, and a magnetic grapple that puts Indiana Jones’ whip to shame. And, of course, she’s got her trusty pistols at her sides.

In easy mode, there aren’t many puzzles that will stump longtime fans. Usually, you’ll be OK as long as you keep moving and look out for the next ledge to jump to, lever to pull or boulder to roll onto a pressure plate. In addition to the complicated mechanisms designed by thousand-year-old cultures, Lara has to deal with the malevolent magical force that stalks her in her pursuit of the truth.

Did her mother die, or is she trapped in another dimension? The question haunts Lara as she gathers pieces of the sword, which has ties to the King Arthur legends as well as older South American lore. That sword is a powerful weapon as well as a key. You’ll have to figure out how, when and where to use it, once you’ve assembled it.

Players will get more out of the game by trying to get through game areas in record time. There are treasures hidden in each area, and collecting them all will lead to bonuses such as different outfits for Lara, “making of” features and the game’s true ending.

And just when you find yourself thinking, “Wow, they don’t really have any monsters in the new Tomb Raider game,” watch out. You’re in for a big surprise.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend

(4 stars)

http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/sto...-5091861c.html

RAZMAT
21st Apr 2006, 18:17
yea , right.

Psychopompador
21st Apr 2006, 18:38
yea , right.

I'm not sure if I understand your response. what are you referring to?

Faye
21st Apr 2006, 20:06
act like the whole story about Lara's mother is really profound in terms of the previous storyline. I can't put it into words, but I'll try. Lara's mother was alive in the Core Design storyline, but this is a different story and she's dead, fine. But the reviewers act like "finally she's solving the mystery". Yes okay maybe that's how Legend Lara would feel about it, if she were real, because in her world, her mother has been dead for a long time. But to us, it isn't that profound and long awaited, it wasn't that long ago that we even discovered that she was going to be dead in this story! But the reviewers talk like we've all been waiting and wondering about this since Tomb Raider began! But how could we, this storyline didn't even exist back then. I don't know if any of you understand what I mean.

Mangar The Dark
21st Apr 2006, 20:18
I'm just curious, did they ever clearly state whether Lara's mother was alive or dead in the previous games? I honestly have no recollection of them mentioning it.