PDA

View Full Version : Key delay then freeze!

jsapphire7
20th Apr 2006, 13:09
Sorry if this problem has been posted before but I am tearing my hair out :mad:

I loaded the game ok (received this morning), it starts up fine no problems, the movies play etc etc...but as soon as I start playing the game the keys go haywire - to the point where they are unresponsive and Lara is running round like a lunatic until she falls to her doom.

I cannot even get out of the game using the menu, unless I wait an age (& then it does not always work) forcing me to re-boot my pc. I have popped on the patch but no joy either.

:confused: Please help! I have read other threads but nothing quite covers my problem. Though I have tried to follow some of the suggestions to no avail.

AMD Athlon XP3000+
1 GB RAM
ATI RADEON 9200 series display adapter
Win XP

jgxenite
21st Apr 2006, 15:49
Have you tried reducing the repeat delay on your keyboard? I had the same problem and that fixed it.

James

jsapphire7
21st Apr 2006, 16:29
:) Thank you so much James - what an idiot I am. Do you know I spent hours yesterday going through everything. Why is it we always look for the most complicated solutions when nine times out of ten, it's the simplest one we need?

I did manage to play it yesterday but I could only give the keys tiny little fairy taps otherwise Lara went into turbo mode and ended up throwing herself of the cliff. At the rate I was going she would have died of old age before completing the first level.

:thumbsup:

Janine

staticnoise
21st Apr 2006, 20:30
I had the same problem as well until I changed the process priority in which the TRL.EXE program was running at. Basically while the game is running you go back to your desktop (I hit my Windows Logo key) then start up the Task Manager (Start Menu --> Run and type in "taskmgr.exe"). You can alternately do Control + Alt + Delete to get to the task manager but sometimes that can cause your programs to go haywire. Luckily TRL seems to function okay once you drop back to your desktop.

Anyway, click on the Processes tab in Task Manager and find TRL.EXE. Right click on it and under Set Priority make sure it is at Normal.

With the Priority set to High, as was the default with my installation, the game was running too "hot" to get keyboard input properly. With the game set to "Normal" priority the keyboard wasn't a problem any longer.

Hope this helps!

jsapphire7
21st Apr 2006, 21:40
Thanks ever so much. It made a world of difference changing the key repeat delay but it was still a little glitchy...following your advice has now reallt fine tuned the game. :)