PDA

View Full Version : PS2-Progressive Scan/Widescreen?

Light Reaver
19th Apr 2006, 00:01
Can anyone give me info as to why, when I turn on Progressive Scan and Widescreen no matter what setting my tv is on (Zoom, Wide Zoom or Full, which Full is what I would normally select), the game still has black on top, bottom and the sides, am I doing something wrong, in other words I can't get the game to play in true widescreen with Widescreen and Progressive Scan turned on, but with Progressive off and Widescreen on it will display correct but not with the P Scan turned on.

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 01:34
Can anyone give me info as to why, when I turn on Progressive Scan and Widescreen no matter what setting my tv is on (Zoom, Wide Zoom or Full, which Full is what I would normally select), the game still has black on top, bottom and the sides, am I doing something wrong, in other words I can't get the game to play in true widescreen with Widescreen and Progressive Scan turned on, but with Progressive off and Widescreen on it will display correct but not with the P Scan turned on.
hi it depended for us what our TV was set to, if it was set to striclty widescreen at all timnes, then leaving the PS2 setting the way it is, gets widescreen.

TRL looks amazing, on widescreen HD, NTSE TV :)

beccaxx

Light Reaver
19th Apr 2006, 03:05
As soon as you turn on Progressive Scan a black box appears around the perimiter of the screen, then depending on what setting you switch the tv to, the black box will get smaller but is still there, is there some bullcrap where you can only use Progressive Scan or Widescreen but not both at the same time?

Toonamy
19th Apr 2006, 13:49
Also check your playstation settings, take out the disc when you start and go in to configuration.

Light Reaver
19th Apr 2006, 14:13
I do know that my PS2 settings are right, I just want confirmation as to if anyone else is getting this or if anyone is able to fill the screen with Progressive and WideScreen. I rented this game and like it enough to buy it soon, but rental didn't come with instruction booklet so I'm not sure what it has to say about it.

demonear
19th Apr 2006, 15:47
No matter what i do. checked main ps2 set up screen. checked all variations of settings within game and on my 42" hi-def plasma.
MASSIVE BLACK BORDERS ALL AROUND THE ****Y SQUASHED IMAGE.
It's a ****ing joke no what the ****'s the script?:mad:

Light Reaver
19th Apr 2006, 16:42
Ok, here's the deal for anyone who was wondering the same as I. I just got off the phone with Eidos support and they said that "with the Progressive Scan turned on, on the PS2 version, that they did design the game with the black bars around the picture but, that it is still playing in 480p and in Widescreen(if it's turned on)", although if you ask me then it's not in true widescreen, but that's the answer I got so at least I know now that I didn't have anything setup wrong and I know that because all my other PS2 games with P-Scan and Widescreen play just fine and that it's not a glitch in the game, it how it was designed for the PS2. Now, I wonder if any other of the console versions of Legend are also like that, he couldn't tell me. It seems to me that if you play in Widescreen but with Progressive scan off, then it is in true widescreen as that is how I've been playing it, but your still playing in 480i, but even with both options turn off and by only turning on P-Scan you get the dang black bars no matter if you have Widescreen on or off. Don't get me wrong I love this game, but in this case why even put the Widescreen and P-Scan as an option if it doesn't give you full display?

intrepid_soul
19th Apr 2006, 23:17
Ok, here's the deal for anyone who was wondering the same as I. I just got off the phone with Eidos support and they said that "with the Progressive Scan turned on, on the PS2 version, that they did design the game with the black bars around the picture but, that it is still playing in 480p and in Widescreen(if it's turned on)", although if you ask me then it's not in true widescreen, but that's the answer I got so at least I know now that I didn't have anything setup wrong and I know that because all my other PS2 games with P-Scan and Widescreen play just fine and that it's not a glitch in the game, it how it was designed for the PS2. Now, I wonder if any other of the console versions of Legend are also like that, he couldn't tell me. It seems to me that if you play in Widescreen but with Progressive scan off, then it is in true widescreen as that is how I've been playing it, but your still playing in 480i, but even with both options turn off and by only turning on P-Scan you get the dang black bars no matter if you have Widescreen on or off. Don't get me wrong I love this game, but in this case why even put the Widescreen and P-Scan as an option if it doesn't give you full display?

I remember talking to you. :) Anyways, here's the deal, widescreen is actually a screen trick its not really widescreen, there are just bars. I totally agree with you on the fact that it doesn't make sense to have a widescreen and P-scan option but not have both. The QA department had the same debate with the development team, and you see the result of it.:( I did check it only appears in the PS2 version. One excuse I heard was the memory processing for displaying full screen P-scan would have taxed the PS2 hardware too much.

demonear
20th Apr 2006, 10:54
Yeah i've just ended up playing on widescreen with prog scan turned off as it's pointless. It seems stupid though and starts you off in the wrong frame of mind thinking you're about to play another turkey with dodgy production values etc. But 1st impressions of the game were good last night. i hear it's way too short and dumbed down a bit though? Nice to get some clarification on this issue as it was driving me nuts. I'm just glad it was a problem with the game & nothing else...
Happy tomb raiding #%&*#%&*#%&*#%&*ers!
-Dave (Falkirk) ;)