PDA

View Full Version : ok what's with the crappy checkpoint and save business

DrSeuss
18th Apr 2006, 19:33
Has anyone else experienced this?

I find that despite saving and checkpoints - whenever I come back to the game I am miles away from the leve I was at.

For eg. I had just powered up the machine (after meeting with amanda) checkpoint visited - did the save.

Switch back on - and I'm back on the motorbike! (earlier level)

Really fed up!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so - is there a solution? If no solution - who'se got the best address I can rant to?

Beechwell
18th Apr 2006, 20:35
That is strange. Have you reloaded the game you saved? Maybe that is glitched?
Since you can always resume the game from the last checkpoint, there really is no big need for saving and reloading.

TRfan
18th Apr 2006, 21:58
If you save at a checkpoint, the game saves it from that position but if you back track and end up going back to an old check point and die, it'll take you back to the last check point. or somethign like that. It was weird because the same thing happened to me.

Toonamy
18th Apr 2006, 23:01
If you pass a checkpoint and keep on going for a couple of km and then save, it wil still start at the last chekpoint.

Totaly unlike any other tr game berfore it.
you probaly knew this and im probaly pointing out the obvious, but just had to make shure of it.

Toonamy
18th Apr 2006, 23:02
So when you save, you only save the last checkpoint on the memory card.
The checkpoints are temporary if you dont save them to the mc.

LizzyMM
18th Apr 2006, 23:37
Oh Okay, I get it now. We have to save after we reach a checkpoint. Right. Because I too passed a checkpoint and when I reloaded it loaded at a previous point. Had to do it all again. So now I save after each checkpoint and it seems to be okay now.

Sumpfmolch
19th Apr 2006, 06:50
welcome to the world of consoles :mad:

TR-AOD
19th Apr 2006, 06:52
if you reload a saved checkpoint, you will start from the last checkpoint where you saved it yourself. if you die and select to continue, you will restart from the last checkpoint that you passed.

DrSeuss
19th Apr 2006, 09:55
The thing is, I had passed loads of checkpoints and then before I quit I saved the game. When I put it back on, it had taken me back to a checkpoint about 6 checkpoints back! One time, it even took me back to a previous level.:mad:

This is really frustrating. The save feature was perfectly fine as it was before, why have they changed it? :(

So what your saying is, everytime I hit a checkpoint in the game, I should save it before I carry on playing? :confused:

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 12:11
The thing is, I had passed loads of checkpoints and then before I quit I saved the game. When I put it back on, it had taken me back to a checkpoint about 6 checkpoints back! One time, it even took me back to a previous level.:mad:

This is really frustrating. The save feature was perfectly fine as it was before, why have they changed it? :(

So what your saying is, everytime I hit a checkpoint in the game, I should save it before I carry on playing? :confused:

doesn;t sound like the save feature it sounds like abug, or something. might be a fault in your copy.

The save feature worls fine on my PS2 copy. try exchangin for another copy/disc, that might help.

beccaxx

difiant9
19th Apr 2006, 12:29
I had saved my game half way through KAZAKHSTAN. Then during the motorcycle chase to the train, Laura took a turn over the side of the cliff. The checkpoint kept reloading, with Laura going to her death over the side of the cliff. Tried reloading the save game, and no go. Kazakhstan started from the beginning of the level. Kinda pointless saving at all. :eek:

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 12:33
I had saved my game half way through KAZAKHSTAN. Then during the motorcycle chase to the train, Laura took a turn over the side of the cliff. The checkpoint kept reloading, with Laura going to her death over the side of the cliff. Tried reloading the save game, and no go. Kazakhstan started from the beginning of the level. Kinda pointless saving at all. :eek:

the check points are only temp saves, until you manual save. its not that different to TR1 really. you have check points, you save at the check points, and thats where you restart the game if you reload.

its not new for heavnes sake, lots of games do it, TR1 did it similar in checkpoints, and save crystals.

beccaxx

DrSeuss
19th Apr 2006, 13:15
Yes but in TR1 the saves worked efficiently.:D

DrSeuss
19th Apr 2006, 13:20
Another weird thing I forgot to mention, is that the save I made actually showed progress since the original save (when she was on motorbike it was at 25% or something) but I loaded a save showing 45% and yet there she was, sitting on the back of the motorbike!:eek:

You see, I realize that the checkpoints are only temp saves, the point is I have been saving manually.

Kozey
19th Apr 2006, 13:43
Totally a bug... it should load at the last checkpoint - manual saves save only progress until last checkpoint too, on the PC at least, so it's not a manual vs automatic save - manual saves save pretty much the state of the whole game - including rewards and found secrets, automatic ones should save the progress too though, if you're playing the level for the first time. If you're on a PC, check if the "Tomb Raider - Legend" folder in your "My Documents" folder isn't marked as read-only - some program might have automatically switched it. On a console, check your memory card.

GoranAgar
19th Apr 2006, 14:05
Which format are you playing? I do not see that information.

DrSeuss
19th Apr 2006, 14:57
PS2 - And everytime I save it says "successful":confused:

GoranAgar
19th Apr 2006, 15:02
Check how much space is left on that memory card.

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 15:02
PS2 - And everytime I save it says "successful":confused:
if your sure your saving properly, then exchange for a new disc, as my PS2 game saves fine, and plays fine. so must be a fualty disc.

beccaxx

Raider0011
20th Apr 2006, 02:04
I've had no problems with the checkpoints or saves on my XBox 360. I've spoken to a few people using PS2's as well, and they havn't had any problems either... I'm not sure what the issue could be here...

ShyLad
20th Apr 2006, 10:23
I picked up a Bronze Reward passed a checkpoint then soon after died by falling into a pit. When it reloaded, although I started at that checkpoint I noticed the Bronze Reward had to be picked up again.

My advice is to check the amount of rewards you have (for that level) as you pass a checkpoint and when you save.

warmonger180
20th Apr 2006, 11:08
well, whatever anyone does, don't go back the way you came and then die. going back far enuff will set a checkpoint that was already passed and you'll have to start from there, rather than where you wanna be. but the, you already know this, don't you:D

mrcube
20th Apr 2006, 22:01
........... Laura took a turn over the side of the cliff .......... with Laura going to....

Its Lara Dude!;)

DrSeuss
20th Apr 2006, 22:17
Thanks DDD I'll bear that in mind - it's probably more efficient than looking at the % like I have.

I'm also planning on trying a new memory card etc. If that doesn't work I'll be replacing my disc. Anything so that I don't have to go back on that bloody motorbike again!

Thanks all

Keep posting if you have any more ideas/info/similiar experiences.