PDA

View Full Version : T3 Patch Installation - Please Help!

FrozenFire
18th Apr 2006, 10:27
Hello fellow thieves,

I just did a fresh install of Thief Deadly Shadows (DVD-version, installed with German language setting) on my new computer and wanted to apply the patch immediately after, but it gives me the following error message: "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

Now I wonder how this is possible, because I didn't edit a single file or even start up the game since I installed it 5 minutes ago.

Any hint would be appreciated.

Quillan
18th Apr 2006, 13:32
My guess is you downloaded the wrong patch. Isn't there a separate version for the downloaded game and the DVD game, as well as possibly different versions for the North American and European releases?

FrozenFire
18th Apr 2006, 13:50
Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is solved.
When I start up the game, it says V 1.1, so my guess is that the DVD version I bought comes with the update already. :)

Now the only problem that is left is the poor performance.
Kinda strange that the game ran faster on my old computer...

theBlackman
18th Apr 2006, 20:37
What extra crap do you have on your "new" computer? What differences in background apps that are running? What is your RAM and Page file usage? Do you now have "shared" RAM for your Video card? There are a lot of reasons you are experiencing slower performance.

Compare the two systems for the above and the following.

What "services" are running in the background that you don't need?

If your "old" computer was trimmed to the bare minimum and your "new" one has a new install of the operating system, you may be wasting RAM and power with a host of un-needed background services.

FrozenFire
19th Apr 2006, 13:45
That's right, there are a lot of services and background apps I could disable (which I did meanwhile). But I think the major slowdown on the game has got something to do with the graphics card. I use the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 from the old computer in my new one, but I have a different mainboard and driver version this time.
I think I remember running Thief 3 on my old pc with two different graphics driver versions and one of them ran really smooth while the other caused this occasional jerking that I experience now. :(

stickyfingersII
27th May 2006, 18:48
It's a late response, but which drivers are you using with the Ti card? Reason I ask is that, with an older card like that (I had one - great card, BTW), using a driver from that 'vintage' might be a better way to go. In spite of nVidia's claim of 'backwwards compatibility', the latest drivers aren't configured for the older cards. My best results (according to 3DMark2001SE and the Painkiller benchmark) were with 44.03's (running a Ti4200 128mb AGP 8X card). I'd also make sure that 'bloom' is turned off - that card won't handle it.