PDA

View Full Version : Technical differences - Xbox 360 vs. PC "Next Gen"

noxdg
18th Apr 2006, 05:54
This post is directed to Eidos:

I've noticed there are a few differences between the two versions. A couple details I noticed (aside from better FPS on the 360):

Lara gets dirty- on the 360 as she explores dirt collects on her arms legs etc. Not on the PC version.

Shadows on running water- again, on the 360 version, Lara and other items cast shwdows on the surface of the water (example: on Bolivia river through the canyon). The PC doesn't have this either.

It's a shame the PC doesn't have these.

I'm curious if these details will ever be included with a patch for the PC. If not, is there a technical reason why they were excluded? Perhaps the contract with Microsoft demanded a more polished game?

I run Next Gen with virtually no problems on an AMD64 3000+ w/Ati 1900XT (some low FPS here and there). Overall, I'm very impressed with the visuals of Next Gen. It's a great revival of Tomb Raider. I hope future patches continue to enhance it and possibly offer some bonus extras like a new level or more outfits.

Sumpfmolch
18th Apr 2006, 10:16
ehem...lara even get's dirty in the non next gen pc version... ;)

about the water...don't know it's completely screwed up and buged...

GoranAgar
18th Apr 2006, 15:33
She is not really getting dirty in the Next Generation PC version. I noticed that too. With the normal settings on a PC she gets dirty.

But it is still fun, even without this particular feature.

noxdg
18th Apr 2006, 16:02
Hmm... maybe the dirt issue is a part of the same bug as the wet skin.

Lara has glistning skin when she gets out of water on the regular version, but on Next Gen that texture is missing. She's dripping, but not "shiney" wet.

Perhaps theres a texture bug when dealing with maps on her model. Same with the shadows on the water. It looks as if a patch could solve the problems.

Anyone else notice differences in the two versions?

Leak
18th Apr 2006, 18:31
Hmm... maybe the dirt issue is a part of the same bug as the wet skin.

Lara has glistning skin when she gets out of water on the regular version, but on Next Gen that texture is missing. She's dripping, but not "shiney" wet.
That seems to depend on the outfit - if she's wearing the Legend outfit for example, then I get what you say. But I've never got that "wet look" when she was wearing the evening dress with next-gen off...

np: T.Raumschmiere - 3 Minutes Happiness (Blitzkrieg Pop)

Verios
18th Apr 2006, 19:37
Next-Gen on PC has many issues that need to be sorted out...where's our darn patch! lol :)

ut2004
19th Apr 2006, 17:29
This post is directed to Eidos:

I've noticed there are a few differences between the two versions. A couple details I noticed (aside from better FPS on the 360):

Lara gets dirty- on the 360 as she explores dirt collects on her arms legs etc. Not on the PC version.

Shadows on running water- again, on the 360 version, Lara and other items cast shwdows on the surface of the water (example: on Bolivia river through the canyon). The PC doesn't have this either.

It's a shame the PC doesn't have these.

I'm curious if these details will ever be included with a patch for the PC. If not, is there a technical reason why they were excluded? Perhaps the contract with Microsoft demanded a more polished game?

I run Next Gen with virtually no problems on an AMD64 3000+ w/Ati 1900XT (some low FPS here and there). Overall, I'm very impressed with the visuals of Next Gen. It's a great revival of Tomb Raider. I hope future patches continue to enhance it and possibly offer some bonus extras like a new level or more outfits.

I play on the PC version without nextgen and she does infact get dirty and it appears her clothes get wet after swimming.

DucusSumus
21st Apr 2006, 18:21
Bump. We all know that the dirtiness and wetness effects work on the current-gen graphics settings, but they do NOT work in next-gen mode.

To add to the list, the PC next-gen version has texture glitches (see the transparent snow drifts in Kazakshtan), and the magnetic grapple is messed up as well (the rope is higher than the actual grapple object and they appear unconnected -- try it and see).

Overall, next-gen looks great, but it's a shame that these effects are missing or messed up. I hope that Eidos is working on a patch to resolve these issues.

noxdg
21st Apr 2006, 19:14
Here's another Next Gen only bug:

Inverse Shadows: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=61341

Here's some picture of shadows on the water that I mentioned earlier. These are totally missing on the PC Next Gen. I added arrows pointing to them (Xbox 360 screenshots):
http://www.bucklescomic.com/other/trl_shadows.jpg
http://www.bucklescomic.com/other/trl_shadows2.jpg

DucusSumus
24th Apr 2006, 06:24
Bump. This stuff is important!

TJSimulation
28th Apr 2006, 20:02
This is interesting... :scratch:

noxdg
5th May 2006, 07:48
More that I noticed...

In that picture where Lara is hanging from the log, on the PC Next Gen, the bottom half of the water fall is MISSING. As you can see in the posted picture of the Xbox 360, the waterfall is completely rendered.