PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Can you do a manual "save game"?

Dukmiester2
18th Apr 2006, 01:22
Just wondering how many PC users can do a manual "Save Game"?

I, for one, can not.

Only able to use the checkpoint system.

Dukmiester2
18th Apr 2006, 20:47
Well, there are only 4 replies, mine included, to the poll.
But, the majority thus far do seem to be having problem with
the save game.

The documentation clearly states that a save Should
be possible at any point.
It seems to be broken for me, too bad.

Hope it get's fixed.

JayL6
19th Apr 2006, 09:59
The manual on page 9 says

"You can save anywhere between checkpoints but Lara will always appear at the most recently passed checkpoint when a save is loaded again"

So not really a save game in the traditional PC sense where the action carries on at exactly the same point.

dawilli
19th Apr 2006, 13:17
I was unable to save at all. The solution was to let Windows handle Virtual Memory, which is a drag but I can live with it for now.

Dukmiester2
19th Apr 2006, 23:03
Well, I just tried setting my virtual memory to be "system managed",
but it didn't help for me.

Problem is, I should be able to save a game, and re-load that save game at any time.
The "Load Game" is greyed out, most likely because I can't do a "Save Game".

Yes, I understand that, if my save and load game was working properly, loading a "save Game" would only start me at the most recent checkpoint.
Problem for me is, the ONLY way the game is saving my progress is by the "Auto Save" (checkpoint).
I can only select the "Continue Game" from the Main Menu.

I really hope us PC users will get another patch soon.
I'd also like to be able to enable my 5.1 surround and NOT have to turn off
my sound card's hardware acceleration each and everytime I want to play this game.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, only a handfull of responses to the poll, but a WHOLE lot of views.

PLEASE cast a vote, I'd love to know how many people are actually able/unable to use the "Save Game" .

Bye for now...

dawilli
20th Apr 2006, 12:44
Check your virtual memory to see how much you have enabled. It's worth a shot because that fixed it for me. When it's set for Windows to manage, Windows will only set it for 1.5 x the amount of physical memory you have. I had it set manually for 500MB originally which gave me the error, When I let Windows manage VM, it set it for 1534 MB and Legend ran great. Now I have it set at a fixed 1534 MB and it's working fine.

Dukmiester2
22nd Apr 2006, 13:51
Well, my virtual memory is "system managed" and is presently at
1534m. Doesn't help with the "save game bug", however.
Oh well, at least I can continue from last checkpoint, so I don't have to start completely from the beginning.

The manual does state, however, that I should be able to save at any point, so something is clearly broken here.

Here's hoping for the next patch SOON!!

JamesArcher
23rd Apr 2006, 02:31
you do realise this also happens on the xbox.....i have the option to save where i want but it doesnt do anything it just checkpoints me....if i die i return to a check point.....i can save it and it says save successful....i try to load the save and it either goes back to the checkpoint or back to a checkpoint like 3 checkpoints back......it lets me resume from the last checkpoint i reached if i turn the game off but i dont see the point in the save function being there when it doesnt do anything

Dukmiester2
23rd Apr 2006, 14:23
you do realise this also happens on the xbox.....i have the option to save where i want but it doesnt do anything it just checkpoints me....if i die i return to a check point.....i can save it and it says save successful....i try to load the save and it either goes back to the checkpoint or back to a checkpoint like 3 checkpoints back......it lets me resume from the last checkpoint i reached if i turn the game off but i dont see the point in the save function being there when it doesnt do anything

Did you even read my prior post?
Of course I realise how the Save is supposed to work.
BUT, let's juat say I want more than one Checkpoint save to re-load when I want to re-play from an earlier checkpoint.

I CAN NOT because the "SAVE" is BROKEN, hence the "LOAD" is also BROKEN!

When I select "Save", a COMPLETELY empty "Save List" comes up, with nothing to select and the sound just makes a buzzing noise, hitting the enter key does NOTHING. I can only hit escape to back out.

Also, the ONLY way to continue from the main menu is by using "Continue Game", the "Load Game" is greyed out.

GOOD NEWS! I have found a way to fix the above described problem!!

I am starting another thread entitled "PC Save Game FIx" to describe how
I got mine working. If you are interested, check it out..

Dukmiester2
23rd Apr 2006, 15:20
Well, apparently there is a problem, at least for now, with posting a new thread.

I can't get it to post.

I am going to try later, but let's just say the "Fix" I mentioned
above DOES work, I have tested it!

I will post it, when whatever is preventing me is resolved...

Dukmiester2
23rd Apr 2006, 16:33
Well, no luck with posting a new thread, so for now I will post it here; see below. YES this DOES work!

Well, first off let me explain how I think the "Save" feature is supposed to work.

Before anyone pipes up and says "You do realise that loading a save game only starts you at the last checkpoint", Yes! I do realise this.

For me, however, I could NOT use the "Save" function. The ONLY way the game was "saving" my progress was with the "autosave" or "checkpoint".

Therefore, from the Main Menu, BEFORE any game was started, the "Load Game" feature was greyed out. The ONLY way to continue a game was selecting the "Continue Game".

Let's say for example that after I completed an area I had not collected all of the collectables and wanted to load a game from a prior "checkpoint" without neccesarily re-playing the whole area. I could NOT because I was unable to do a Save.
Bringing up the "Save" simply had an empty list, the sound would buzz and hitting Enter did nothing.

Well, here is how I got it to work:

Since the "autosave" or "Checkpoint" seemed to be working, I figured it must be generating a file somewhere. And, in fact, it was. It was located in "My Doccuments" under the sub-folder called "\Tomb Raider - Legend\" and the file was called "autosave.dat".

NOTE: this is under the "Tomb Raider - Legend" folder, NOT "Tomb Raider - Legend\Saved Games".

So, I copied the "autosave.dat" file to the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Logon Name\My Documents\Tomb Raider - Legend\Saved Games
(Substitute your name for "Windows Logon Name")

I copied that file, I did NOT move it, it is still in it's original location also.

Then, I re-named the COPY, under "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Logon Name\My Documents\Tomb Raider - Legend\Saved Games" to
"1.dat"

I then repeated this 9 more times so that I have the following files located in
"C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Logon Name\My Documents\Tomb Raider - Legend\Saved Games"

1.dat
2.dat
3.dat
4.dat
5.dat
6.dat
7.dat
8.dat
9.dat
10.dat

Now, in the game when I bring up the pause menu and hit "Save", it lists
all of the above files and if I click on one of them it asks me if I want to overwrite, and I select yes, and it says "Save Complete"!!

And, now that I have created 2 save games, I have the following files located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Logon Name\My Documents\Tomb Raider - Legend\Saved Games"

01.58.43 - Bolivia - 1%.dat
02.12.06 - Peru - 11%.dat
3.dat
4.dat
5.dat
6.dat
7.dat
8.dat
9.dat
10.dat

Also, I still have the file "autosave.dat" in the following location:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Logon Name\My Documents\Tomb Raider - Legend\".

Now, from the Main Menu, before any game is started, I can either select "Continue Game" to continue from my last checkpoint OR I can select "Load Game" and pick from ANY "Saved" checkpoint.

I think the Game Developers forgot to put in the "Place Holders" for the "Save" feature to work properly.

Actually, I only copied the "autosave.dat" file and renamed it 10 times, to have 10 "Saved" checkpoints but it could, theoretically, be done as many times as you have hard drive space.

The key here is, the game needs these "*.dat" files in the right folder as place holders, or when the "save" feature is clicked it won't work.

I hope this is able to help someone else.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe a patch will come that will totally negate all of this, but for now at least I can get back to actually playing the game!

Bye for now...

ltolman
9th May 2006, 06:28
Is it fixed yet? I went under my documents and under tomb raider and saw the saved games you referred to however I dont think I have the recent version?

My Readme file says version 1.1 but dated April 6,2006.

Dukmiester2
10th May 2006, 01:45
Well, sory 'bout that. I forgot to mention I am running version 1.1

Also, I downloaded my version from Gamespy (IGN) Direct2Drive.
It's the full game, I just purchased and downloaded it.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but with my version,
initially I had NO save games. Only had the one file called AUTOSAVE.DAT

If you read what I did carefully, you'll see how I went about "making"
my own "save game slots" for the game to recognize.

Before I did that, the "save" feature simply did NOT work;
and so, the "load" feature was also broke. Only "resume"
was available in the main menu.

I don't see any mention of any patches beyond 1.1, and since
my game came already at ver 1.1, I guess the answer to your
question would have to be no, the save game bug has not been
fixed yet.

I just happened to figure a way around it, and it works perfectly.

Read above CAREFULLY and give it a try.

Best of luck,
bye for now...

ltolman
10th May 2006, 02:44
Yes, well again I didnt make any alterations, I think the manual said you can save the game anytime but it will load up the last checkpoint you were at. I had the save game options when I first loaded Tomb Raider Legend up. Once I was in the game, I saved it, saved it a few times here and there but nonetheless it worked without me making any alterations. Was just as simple as loading any game (Oblivion) and hitting the Save button

Why yours didnt work, I dont know.

Maybe you lacked a certain file that could save properly.

In the game, I hit escape chose Save and I saw a section called "New Save" so I did and it worked.

ltolman
10th May 2006, 02:59
Did some testing; least with my PC, Virtual Memory played no role in the saving of games.

I apparently was running 1536mb Virtual Memory which again, I hit escape after a checkpoint there was the Save word, I click that and get a new screen that says "new saved game"

So I changed my Virtual Memory to 500mb; still saved just fine

I changed my Virtual Memory to 300mb; still saved just fine.

What does Virtual Memory do anyways? Oh well no biggie, I'll keep it at its default of 1536 :)