PDA

View Full Version : TAKE HEED please

Elias
17th Apr 2006, 21:53
I usually can't be bothered moaning about a game on a forum but, well here I go. Firstly this game came so close at being a cracking good game. The 3 main things that killed it were - 1. Every 5 seconds hints & tips on every bloody thing are being sprawled all over the screen. Fair enough for the first half of the first level but after the 3rd or 4th level being told how to shimmy up a blasted rope is too much.

- 2. The sidekicks on the radio. A great lesson on how to totally destroy the atmosphere of a game. Your buzzing on a wonderfull looking environment & suddenlly a shlock american voice comes over saying how "cool" it is & hoots & hollers. The originals were great because of the silence in the tombs & places allowing the player to feel as though they were there to the extent a game can. Having these sidekicks carry on like some teenage surfer dudes carried this game from a keeper that adults can enjoy to the masses of kids & teens that get off on a quick "cool fix".

- 3. The button prompts. Once again killing the atmosphere.

To sum up. Let the game breathe for craps sake. Shake off the stupid gimmicks & you'll have a game that lasts as one with some dignity like the first few. And just to sink the boot in the other models beside Lara need some work. This is supposed to be next gen! Otherwise nice work ^_^

laraflames
17th Apr 2006, 21:56
then put the damn thing on hard:D

Elias
17th Apr 2006, 22:05
Well there's a thought! It's been set on the hardest the whole time.

Silver_Rain
17th Apr 2006, 22:21
Those hint boxes do actually remain throughout the later levels, even in hard mode. That's one thing I can do without:rolleyes: I've seen many people moaning about Lara's "sidekicks"(Zip and Alister), but I actually enjoy having them there. To me this only lives it up a bit....the endless trekking through old tombs without any sense of comic relief in the old games was one thing I found rather tedious about them.

laraflames
17th Apr 2006, 22:25
ggggggrrrrrr lol

Mr. Furious
17th Apr 2006, 22:42
In my opinion, this game reminds me of the Relic Hunter series with Tia Carrere. Her sidekick Nigel acts just like Alister...a pure cream puff. I love it when Lara does an extreme jump and Zip goes crazy. As for Alister...he should grow some cahones (hope that's the correct spelling :o ).

Off-topic, my all time favorite saying from the game is:

Young Lara: "Are we going to crash, mother?".
Lady Croft: "Only if it's absolutely necessary, dear.". :D

tr1xp
17th Apr 2006, 23:03
I can't think of anything more stupid that I've ever encountered in a game then when Zip started the "WoooohooooOOO!" crap during the lame motorcylcle on a rail bit. Man, I almost ripped the PC's power cord out of the wall just to make it stop...now!

http://members.cox.net/tr1xp/trl_wallpaper.jpg

thinkTomb
17th Apr 2006, 23:19
wow, tr1xp, :p :p your picture is a very good presentation of your words !!!

NaughtyGirl
17th Apr 2006, 23:46
i'm old gen...but even I have heard of a mute button.....
even though I'm a schlocky american with an accent :p
the hints were ignorable....I was too busy looking at the pretty pictures

......pretty, pretty pictures :eek:
must be because I'm American, y'll;) :o

laraflames
18th Apr 2006, 00:53
i'm old gen...but even I have heard of a mute button.....
even though I'm a schlocky american with an accent :p
the hints were ignorable....I was too busy looking at the pretty pictures

......pretty, pretty pictures :eek:
must be because I'm American, y'll;) :o
lol it can happend i like england accents:D i like the mate part 2 lol im wierd

RAZMAT
18th Apr 2006, 01:57
i'll have to say that riding a motorcycle in gta was much cooler.you had gas and brake and it leaned with turns and slid.

tunka
18th Apr 2006, 03:43
I have every Tomb Raider Game that was ever made.

This one sucks. period.

All the people that like this one, they suck.

Eidos, get real and make a real game.

Rose662
18th Apr 2006, 05:37
Most of the posters on this forum have all the games too.

Okay, tunka, you're entitled to your opinion on the game, but you are NOT entitled to flame the people on this site; many of whom are the same age as your parents and older. It's against forum rules. Please show people some respect or you may be hearing from the forum mods. Thanks.

I have every Tomb Raider Game that was ever made.

This one sucks. period.

Eidos, get real and make a real game.

RAZMAT
18th Apr 2006, 05:49
i been playing through a bit more.it's cool but the weapons seem kind of dumbed down.the grenade launcher shoots about 4 feet and is more a hazard to me than anything.i noticed that the auto aim could use some tweaking.when i was playing san andreas, i always thought that if they had exploring in the game it would be awesome.it would be cool if eidos could hook up with rockstar and do a tr.for vehicles and gunplay and weapons it would be cool.and as open ended as rockstar's engine is it would come down to puzzles and level design.for some reason i always thought those 2 would make a good combo.

Straw Dog
18th Apr 2006, 17:23
lol it can happend i like england accents:D i like the mate part 2 lol im wierd

Lol, I'll never understand the American affection for the English accent. I'm English with a neutral, slightly cockney accent (grew up in London) and once whilst playing Day of Defeat online (with a mic/headset on) an American guy asked me to say 'bloody'... which I did, to peels of hilarity from all the Americans in my clan :confused: I then asked him to say waffles, oregano and aluminium and he wasn't amused.

Anyway, totally off topic I know but just got me thinking, sorry for my interlude here.

Straw Dog
18th Apr 2006, 17:33

What an incredibly astute observation. Its like you've taken a hitherto uncharted analytical approach to the paradoxical time in gaming we find ourselves currently in and have applied a monumental amount of depth and intelligence into creating a well rounded unbiased statement which could quite possibly become a slogan for dissafected youth the world over. Its on a par with Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech or Kennedy's 'We choose to go the moon' in its clarity and its impact. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for that statement. Truly phenomenal. :thumbsup:

Mangar The Dark
18th Apr 2006, 18:05

Huh.. huh... yeah, Beavis, these people suck... huh.. huh....

:rolleyes:

Higgs
18th Apr 2006, 19:51
I too have all TR games.

Overall major dissapointment with TRL. After about half way through the game, I began to start thinking I just wanted to get it over with. It stopped being fun.

My major issues with this game (PC version) starting with biggest gripe:

Bosses - The bosses were just plain stupid. Why have a big water dragon when it has absolutely zero relevance to the story (level 6)? That boss level epitomizes the lack of imagination associated with this game.

Game play - Any of the hard parts required switching quickly from the guns to the grappler. Im sure all you PC people who have played this game can attest that its very difficult to to do this quickly. If Eidots, oops, I mean Eidos, uses this one thing to make a level hard...again...imagination not worth $39. And they use this all through the game (switch from guns to grappler). After a while, I was just getting mad and stopped enjoying this game.

Interactive Scenes - I let out a huge sigh of dissapointment when the first interactive scene popped up. Hitting the dirction arrow keys as they popped up on the screen was a HUGE $39 joke. At least Pacman had some strategy.

Game was entirely linear - I thought these type of games were not being made anymore. Lets all go back to the 90's again...GEEZ. Did I already mention how stupid the boss enemies were?

Game was so short I completed it in a day on medium difficulty - I guess if Eidios has to go back to 90's gameplay to find content, they sure wont have enough imagination to give someone at least a few days worth of gameplay.

Laura looked more like a cartoon than a real person. Although her figure is still appealing (hasnt changed) her overall looks have become more cartoonish.

Most of my time was spent backtracking, getting stuck because of a software glitch in the game...a door wouldnt open that should have...or a clue did not pop up. I found out that this was happening when I read the walkthrough, shut down the game and restarted. Lo and behold the door was now open!

The stupid reotoric of Zip and Co - Puhleeeez

The best level was the King Arthur's Tomb. And I almost thought this game might be going in a good direction until the very end when I had to fight the stupid green serpant (water dragon). How does a water dragon relate AT ALL to king arthur???

The ridiculous motorcycle rides - I rate this 1/10 for design and imagination...extremely poor.

Recommendation - DONT BUY THIS GAME. Its not worth over $14 in the software discount rack. I wont buy anymore games from Edios. Im done.

Beechwell
18th Apr 2006, 20:14
I too have all TR games.

Overall major dissapointment with TRL. After about half way through the game, I began to start thinking I just wanted to get it over with. It stopped being fun.

My major issues with this game (PC version) starting with biggest gripe:...

Didn't you write exactly the same in your other thread?
You seem to concentrate a lot on the water-dragon fight. What was wrong with the other bosses? And when - other than the water-dragon-fight - did you have to quicky change guns and grapple?

Higgs
18th Apr 2006, 20:26
Yes I decided to emphasize my objections in a new thread...hoping others would add.

Level 3, 5 & 6 all required switching from guns to grappler as key to surviving. They were the hardest levels too. All the other bosses in other levels were just blasting enemies and ducking for cover.