PDA

View Full Version : Eidos - Re-visit her roots!!

Creativeflea
17th Apr 2006, 21:42
This game is very pretty, and so it should be, they've had long enough to make it so, but it's in no way large enough in scale and certainly lacks anything remotely like a challenge for your seasoned player. I'm sure we all understand the need to introduce a whole new generation to the game/franchise of Lara Croft, and it's blatantly obvious that it's geared toward the younger market - hence the ease of game play and levels. However, if I were to get my daughter to play the game for the first time, this one would not be the one I'd chose for her to play.

If Eidos could learn anything from whats gone before, then it should look back at the first game and Revelations for inspiration. TR1 was amazing! It was a new era in game play, you will never be able to re-visit that, no matter what you do, however, TR Revelations was, for me, the best one overall - it was huge! I spent hours and hours on it, I got lost in the levels which had levels within them! It was a fantastic game, very much on a par with the first one in that you truly felt like you were taking part in an adventure!

PS3 is just around the corner, with the new blue ray technology there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a less than superior game. If they're going to go for it, then they'd better go for it on an enormous scale and give us what we want, or just leave it alone! No more substandard Lara thanks - give us the whole package, levels upon levels upon puzzles upon puzzles! That's what Tomb Raider is all about. If the makers can't remember that, they shouldn't be making anymore Tomb Raider games at all.

laraflames
17th Apr 2006, 21:52
ok first of all that was well said,i personally liked the game it was VERY AWSOME and they spent lots of money on it much more money than we will have of course and they did this well...keep in mind another wiill come soon and yes of course they know about tmbr 1 and all that they created it they know what they spent years on and this is a new generation of lara and i think this is way better than beforei dont see how people would prefer the 1st over this one,but i do agree on the last paragraph exept the remembering part because still want more tomb raider games no matter what....so remember another is coming soon

jules
17th Apr 2006, 21:52
Yes, my 8 year old son completed Legend in 9 hours and he did not use a walkthrough:p
He has never done that before on any of the TR games, and he has played them all:) plus many of the custom levels:cool:
This game is not as good as it could have been and I too agree with the above statement.

thinkTomb
17th Apr 2006, 22:00
This game is very pretty, and so it should be, they've had long enough to make it so, but it's in no way large enough in scale and certainly lacks anything remotely like a challenge for your seasoned player. I'm sure we all understand the need to introduce a whole new generation to the game/franchise of Lara Croft, and it's blatantly obvious that it's geared toward the younger market - hence the ease of game play and levels. However, if I were to get my daughter to play the game for the first time, this one would not be the one I'd chose for her to play.

If Eidos could learn anything from whats gone before, then it should look back at the first game and Revelations for inspiration. TR1 was amazing! It was a new era in game play, you will never be able to re-visit that, no matter what you do, however, TR Revelations was, for me, the best one overall - it was huge! I spent hours and hours on it, I got lost in the levels which had levels within them! It was a fantastic game, very much on a par with the first one in that you truly felt like you were taking part in an adventure!

PS3 is just around the corner, with the new blue ray technology there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a less than superior game. If they're going to go for it, then they'd better go for it on an enormous scale and give us what we want, or just leave it alone! No more substandard Lara thanks - give us the whole package, levels upon levels upon puzzles upon puzzles! That's what Tomb Raider is all about. If the makers can't remember that, they shouldn't be making anymore Tomb Raider games at all.

I too agreed with you.
Eidos promised us to "bring TombRaider back", however, I didn't feel any tomb sense in Legend. Does Eidos think us 10 years TR fans too old to play TR any more?

laraflames
17th Apr 2006, 22:02
keep this up eidos will make an evn ''BeTtEr'' game!!!:D

Elias
17th Apr 2006, 22:03
Agreed Mr Flea. My main gripe was the killing of the atmosphere. Stupid gimmicks aimed at teens & kids to sell a game is becoming a right pain in the arse. Specially so on a game that you used to be able to soak up the adventure & feel as if you were there is a crying shame. I loved the puzzles on the first games & throwing the controller & turning off the game to mull it over through the day, then coming back to the satisfaction of figuring it out. This was eidos last chance for me. Gaming has become too teen orientated & shlocky for my taste & I'm only 23!

jules
17th Apr 2006, 22:12
Hehe i'm only 41, and I could not agree with you more;)

mrcube
17th Apr 2006, 22:48

Very well said! And you're completley right, We want the HUGE levels with open areas, alternatative routes, incredible puzzles, and then more levels, and ALOT less help via headset, shiny lights accross metal objects for grappling, and get rid of those annying circles that tell you theres an off screen grapple.

They also need to bring back the old house (as well as the new one, have the both availible for play and maybe another, didn't i read somewhere that the reason Lara lives in Croft Manor is because she felt it was the one most like home out of the 3 she was left, why not be able to play all of them?)

Can we also have the old kind of secrets, I'm all up for getting rewards for finding them, but can they be more like they were, tthings that Lara could actually use.

And can we have the old type oof jumping back, where she can jump forwards, backwards and side to side. Remember the really high jumps Lara could do on the stop. I want those again!

I would also like less human enemies, theres way to many, how many were there in the original? There were 6, you kill 20 within the first Level of Legend. I'd like more animal enemies like the old days.

I'm looking at Legend as a taster of whats to come, we know what they can do with this technology and we now know how amazing the game can look (Although Lara's face needs some serious work in Next-Gen graphics, looks really wierd, they need to take it back to the Current-Gen Lara face) So now its time for them to use this amazing technology and give us a great game!

sup2069
18th Apr 2006, 00:26
ALOT less help via headset

Yes, but how about no communication headset at all? Get rid of the guys except for her butler. While playing the game, I felt like I (Laura) didnt solve this adventure on my own. It seemed after a mission my buddies would research it all for me and Laura was sent on the grunt work. Instead of a team of experts planted at laurs house, why not have her go to a professional only if she required the help?

They also need to bring back the old house

Yes, bring back the old manor. Or redesign it to be somewhat more like the old one. The new one is too simple and small. The new mansion featured only a few rooms of exploration, no attic, basement (dungeon) or outside. Outside the croft manor in England would have been a beautiful site.

And can we have the old type oof jumping back, where she can jump forwards, backwards and side to side. Remember the really high jumps Lara could do on the stop. I want those again!

I agree, but my idea is to have two types of game play styles. The "New Style" would get the current movement style, tricks and simple puzzles, but more lengthy-timed trap oriented. This style would be leaning towards the new to intermediate players. "Old School" style would of course no doubt add the old jumps and map layouts, a hardcore challenge for the veterans.

I would also like less human enemies, theres way to many, how many were there in the original? There were 6, you kill 20 within the first Level of Legend. I'd like more animal enemies like the old days.

I totally agree, I felt like I was spending too much time fighting bosses and goons. It was if CD created the story first, then filled it with the maps and enemies. No lions, bears, killer birds or anything new to us. They stuck with just the same skinned tigers and dogs.
It was too predictable at times to guess on where the enemy would be waiting. Like the tigers and goons, the first series had them hidden in traps, unseen holes and triggered spots. That really kept you on your toes!

You have the input all on the forums CD, just please read carefully on the user feedback to make a solid game. I have seen many games go down the hill, due to developers not understanding what the gamers wanted.

RAZMAT
18th Apr 2006, 02:03
some kind of sniper rifle would be cool ,though i have'nt finished the game yet and maybe there is one.is there?

Karthik
18th Apr 2006, 02:16
Man, from those description you guys sound like you want Angel of Darkness.:p

laraflames
18th Apr 2006, 02:20
Man, from those description you guys sound like you want Angel of Darkness.:p
u actually read all those? u musta been boooreedd:p :D

MercuryRapids
18th Apr 2006, 13:05
What gets me about the PS One Tomb Raiders is how they crammed each level into 2MB of RAM...:eek:

Karthik
18th Apr 2006, 13:45
What gets me about the PS One Tomb Raiders is how they crammed each level into 2MB of RAM...:eek:
I don't find it surprising at all. However, I'm annoyed how this game is 7GB in size but has less than 8 hours of playtime. It also frustrates me that the game dumps next gen content on my HDD when I don't even have the required hardware to access it. I don't mean to offend anyone but today's programmers just don't show the same amount of respect to bits and bytes like those days. Anyway, this is getting off topic.

midroth
18th Apr 2006, 14:46
I read your words and I agree.
But see this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=560993#post560993)... too stupid isn't checked often.

You know what I mean?

Mangar The Dark
18th Apr 2006, 15:14
I wonder if the mods can compile all of our comments and make just two threads--

1. "TRL is too short/easy and I'm completely traumatized/suicidal because of it!"

2. "TRL is the greatest thing EVER and I'd gladly trade my first born child to play it again and again!"

GoranAgar
18th Apr 2006, 15:22
I wonder if the mods can compile all of our comments and make just two threads--

1. "TRL is too short/easy and I'm completely traumatized/suicidal because of it!"

2. "TRL is the greatest thing EVER and I'd gladly trade my first born child to play it again and again!"
I thought about that. But I am quite certain a lot of people would not appreciate it. ;)

Straw Dog
18th Apr 2006, 15:23

lol, but then people will start moaning about the fact that there's only two threads. 'TWO THREADS?? WE WAIT THREE YEARS AND ALL WE GET IS TWO THREADS?? I CAN READ THROUGH BOTH OF THEM IN UNDER 6 HOURS!!! AND THATS TAKING MY TIME!!!!'

Mangar The Dark
18th Apr 2006, 15:47
lol, but then people will start moaning about the fact that there's only two threads. 'TWO THREADS?? WE WAIT THREE YEARS AND ALL WE GET IS TWO THREADS?? I CAN READ THROUGH BOTH OF THEM IN UNDER 6 HOURS!!! AND THATS TAKING MY TIME!!!!'

Ah, good point!
(but I wonder if they found ALL the rewards in those two threads?)

Lucos
18th Apr 2006, 15:50
more threads = better feedback for the game creators

Mangar The Dark
18th Apr 2006, 16:01
more threads = better feedback for the game creators

Oh, I completely agree about giving the creators feedback (both positive and negative), but when every thread says exactly the same thing, it doesn't really provide better feedback.

Lucos
18th Apr 2006, 16:10
Oh, I completely agree about giving the creators feedback (both positive and negative), but when every thread says exactly the same thing, it doesn't really provide better feedback.

i agree on some levels. while technically they arent hearing anything new, they are getting an idea of what the average player thinks about it. each time a thread is made, people will argue for/against the success/failure of the game...they can use these replies and arguments to get an idea of the ratio of likers to dislikers (however its really difficult to say that with internet forums...because you never know WHO is even posting the comments). its a circular argument about the threads though, i say just let them make their threads if they want to

mrcube
19th Apr 2006, 09:45
Oh i'm up for giving feedback as well,
don't get me wrong, legend is a big improvement over games like AoD and Chronicles, but its still no where near up to the standard of the original, and yes maybe we can hope that CD will read all our posts and then change the next game accordingly.

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 12:16
Agreed Mr Flea. My main gripe was the killing of the atmosphere. Stupid gimmicks aimed at teens & kids to sell a game is becoming a right pain in the arse. Specially so on a game that you used to be able to soak up the adventure & feel as if you were there is a crying shame. I loved the puzzles on the first games & throwing the controller & turning off the game to mull it over through the day, then coming back to the satisfaction of figuring it out. This was eidos last chance for me. Gaming has become too teen orientated & shlocky for my taste & I'm only 23!

What gimmicks woudl those be? As i can;t say i've come across in over 5hrs of gameplay anything i'd consider gimmicky, so i;'m curious what those of you who have, do consider gimmicky. As so far, i've heard lot of accusations of gimmick but no specifics.

beccaxx

KellySummersgill
19th Apr 2006, 12:30
Really i think you are all being unfair. There are alot of people out there who like this one better. You all got your fun with all the other tombraider games & its good for once they thinking of appealing to other types of people. I hated the running around getting lost & not having a clue what you are doing. They could make clearer paths but harder puzzles at least. I do love hard puzzles in games but not so ridiculous that after a few hours you get impatient & give up! If you all get your way then alot of the new people buying this game cause of the way its changed will stop & if its like tombraider legend you lot won't buy it. No matter what they do they can't win!

mrcube
20th Apr 2006, 20:39
Really i think you are all being unfair. There are alot of people out there who like this one better. You all got your fun with all the other tombraider games & its good for once they thinking of appealing to other types of people. I hated the running around getting lost & not having a clue what you are doing. They could make clearer paths but harder puzzles at least. I do love hard puzzles in games but not so ridiculous that after a few hours you get impatient & give up! If you all get your way then alot of the new people buying this game cause of the way its changed will stop & if its like tombraider legend you lot won't buy it. No matter what they do they can't win!

Well, I don't completley angry with you there, you see I think Legend is to easy, its always to obvious where to go and how to get there. They need to compromise a bit, have options to disable, the refelective grapple things and have options to get NO help in tombs and stuff like that. They should also make the puzzles harder, at least on a higher difficulty.

thoran6
20th Apr 2006, 20:54

i second this motion

thoran6
20th Apr 2006, 20:57

i agree totally!!!!!!!!

GoranAgar
20th Apr 2006, 20:57
i second this motion
I just deleted your last 30 posts. And all of them were exactly like this: A quote followed by "I agree" and "I second that motion". Nothing else.

Feel free to contribute your own thoughts to our little discussions. :)

Edit: LOL, while I was typing this you did another one. Right behind your first. :D

thoran6
20th Apr 2006, 21:06
I just deleted your last 30 posts. And all of them were exactly like this: A quote followed by "I agree" and "I second that motion". Nothing else.

Feel free to contribute your own thoughts to our little discussions. :)

Edit: LOL, while I was typing this you did another one. Right behind your first. :D

i decided not to bother expressing my opinion in long drawn out paragraphs. I did alot last week, only to get ridiculed for spelling and grammatical errors and my overall opinion of the game. I just turned 40 and I dont need some snot nosed kid complaining about my grammar. I am agreeing with others who have my same opinion or have made a good point. It saves me the time and keystrokes by typing in just 2 words instead of a novel. I dont see what the big deal is, I am not cursing or being derogatory like some of the people are. I just say I agree, that has no reason to be deleted at all....