PDA

View Full Version : How dumb you think your customers to be?

Toran
16th Apr 2006, 00:35
"Hey Billie, do you think they buy it?"
"Of course. Joe. They always buy it."
"Hmm, but do you think they 'buy' it?"
"Dunno, mate. But aslong they buy it I don't care if they 'buy' it."

TRL - just another attempt to propel the sales of one company by hyping the product of another company. If you substract the stuff able to run on a shader 2.0 gfx card from the so-called Next-Gen-Content you'd get a rediculous rest.

If you furthermore would allow your customers to chose from a wider selection of effect options but a complete preset folks wouldn't need a super-comp to run the game at a smooth rate without missing too many of the goodies.

Another thing I don't get is why TRL doesn't need to generate Shader maps before level-start. Other games with more demanding (but faster) graphic engines (i.g. Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) need to do so, I wonder why. Or you really planned to pass the good stuff only to folks with comps fast enough to do this stuff on-the-fly?

Don't get me wrong I think Tomb Raider Legends to be a great jump'n'run but I don't agree with your customer policy and I doubt many others do.

Stuff like this lowers the reputation and will at some point have an impact on sales.

Keep in mind your main customers ain't the few able and willing to spend hundreds of dollars in the latest hardware every 3rd month.

Btw. Why a thread about a NVIDIA driver that doesn't mention at all to have adressed the general TRL performance issues becomes sticky?

Allek
16th Apr 2006, 02:42
'sigh'

Mr. Furious
16th Apr 2006, 03:25
The game, in my opinion...is GRRRRREAT!!! Excellent graphics, sound, playability and puzzles. On the downside though is a small problem when trying to view Party Female A in the Japan Models. The game crashes. But who cares...as long as they get the bugs worked out, I'm happy :D .

LuxAngel
16th Apr 2006, 07:21
When I did the eidos requirement test to compare my computer's specs to the requirements of the game, one of the links on the result tabs said something about "recommending a computer" -- to run the game.

LMAO

I, for one, would love to have had a graphics option list. I would choose texture all the way, leave out the depth of field and shadows if I had to, just to see all those hangin' vines that everyone's been talking about.

Ah.. the vines. I have a thing for that kinda' environment. Reminds me of TR1. :)

dhama
16th Apr 2006, 08:19
'sigh'

Whether a person has issues or not, we should treat them all with respect.

Just because everything may have been hunky dory with your copy. Give a thought for others that have also waited long to enjoy Tomb Raider, only to find frustration instead.

Shehi
16th Apr 2006, 09:21
God bless you dhama, that is what I first thought when I started reading these complaints here and some others try to silence those mostly reasonable people :) Totally agreed.

Allek
16th Apr 2006, 15:27

Just because everything may have been hunky dory with your copy. Give a thought for others that have also waited long to enjoy Tomb Raider, only to find frustration instead.

Geez! All I did was take a deep breath... and exhale. It's not like this a PC only game. If ya don't have the hardware, buy the PS2 or X-Box version. Should technology stop progressing just because someone can't afford to keep up with it?

Okay, I'm holding my breath now. Go ahead and slag away!:)

sheighton
16th Apr 2006, 15:46
...If ya don't have the hardware, buy the PS2 or X-Box version...

Same problem...If someone cannot afford to trade up their graphics card and spend the extra two to three hundred dollars to get the best top-of-the-line card from ATI or nVIDIA, what makes you think that they can afford a $300 console? I for one don't have an XBOX, PS2, or XBOX360 because my computer takes care of pretty much everything for me. Now I am going to be upgrading later this year and I personally can tolerate running games at close to max graphics until then...

LuxAngel
16th Apr 2006, 16:59
Same problem...If someone cannot afford to trade up their graphics card and spend the extra two to three hundred dollars to get the best top-of-the-line card from ATI or nVIDIA, what makes you think that they can afford a $300 console?...
Hmm. That's a great point. ;) :thumbsup:

I'm greedy. I want to see the Next Gen graphics, I want it all!! :D I considered buying a new graphics card, but then I weighed the matter and used common sense. lol For now, I'll just see whatever my computer allows me to see, with the current specs. ;)

Allek
16th Apr 2006, 17:23
It's true... PC gaming is an expensive hobby. Consoles are alot cheaper because they only upgrade every 3-5 years. If you buy the newest graphics card today, there will probably be better one out tomorrow. We will never be able to keep up and that isn't Eidos or Crystal Dynamics fault.

Kiopo
16th Apr 2006, 18:00
They could have given more options instead of one 'next gen' option... id never buy the 'latest' graphics card anyway cus theyre so ridiculously over-priced. But then again it looked great on mine anyway, the pics that showed the difference with next gen on and off i thought the second one looked better anyway :D

Zeeblade
16th Apr 2006, 20:07

Lol.. wow you got all that from a "sigh". I cant find where Allek says anything about there copy. hmmm but your right you should "respect others" even if it is a sigh..

Allek
17th Apr 2006, 03:12
Lol.. wow you got all that from a "sigh"

Somehow, I seen it coming...:p

I cant find where Allek says anything about there copy.

I am a PC gamer all the way! I spend a few hundred dollars a year upgrading my hardware and I still can't use Next Gen, but I'm not complaining.

hmmm but your right you should "respect others" even if it is a sigh..

A 'sigh' is not disrespectful nor is "How dumb you think your customers to be?" respectful. I bought the game and enjoyed it alot. I guess that makes me a dumb customer. 'sigh' again.

rbfeik
17th Apr 2006, 03:27
The good

Lara's improved motion & updated graphics

the bad

the game is like running a DVD menu - push a button to select a cut scene
and unlike old TR the game plays you - where you are forced into doing it their way or no way

Orangy
17th Apr 2006, 03:58
I don't get it, people kept saying the game gives too much hints. Okay, the shiny things made it very easy to tell you where to go. But it beats having Lara firing off her grapple every 2 seconds to find the 'hot spots'. That would get annoying fast.

I played through the whole game, and no where did the game give me hints of where to go next and what to do. I had to figure it out myself. I have to take a careful look at the surrounding to figure out where the ledges are, and where the likely exit is. Just like old Tomb Raider games. But the game really is much easier than the old tomb raider games, so I usually figure it out pretty quick.

I do wish the game difficulty is more like Nepal. Where you have a split second to decide where to go after you jump from ledge to ledge or platform to platform. That reminds me of the old tomb raider games.

rbfeik
17th Apr 2006, 04:20
Compare this game to III where you could miss secrets if you weren't thinking about them Or when fighting the Kalis you could peck at them from the ledges or make a frontal attack. Or when using vehicles there were several routes to use. Or in IV with the game of Senet