PDA

View Full Version : PC keyboard response way behind action

piquet00
15th Apr 2006, 20:13
Hi,

I installed the PC version and updated to 1.1 of TRL, and updated to the 84.43 Forceware drivers.

My PC is an Athlon 64 3500 with 1gb of RAM and a Geforce GT6600 card. Ok, it's not a cutting edge gaming machine, but it ought to cope with TRL.

The seems to be a timing issue which makes this game totally unplayable. If I press the forward key, Lara keeps on running forward after I've stopped hitting the key. Then of course she falls off cliffs! If, whilst she's running I hit another key, eventually it registers and she performs that action way too late! It is very frustrating and makes me just want to throw the game away.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thanks in hope,

Phil

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 20:17
Do you have Next Gen on? I have a GeForce 6800 and can't use Next Gen because it is so demanding!:( Check to see if it is on, if it is, turn it off.

sheighton
15th Apr 2006, 20:18
Well it sounds like either your system just cannot handle the game and thus it is lagging, or you might have a bad copy / bad installation of the game...Personally I think it might be the second, because other than having a better graphics card than yours I have virtually the same system and it works fine...

Pang_Pang
15th Apr 2006, 20:20
Have you tried minimising your graphics? I had infrequent graphic lag with normal gameplay, very annoying mid way through a level, but a quit to desktop and reload of the game cured it each time.

piquet00
15th Apr 2006, 22:23
Hi - yes I turned off Next Gen, shadows, anti-aliasing etc to try and get better performance. It was not so bad earlier in the game, but since I leapt the first set of rotating knives, and got to the chain room it started.

The main thing is that most of the time, when I hit forward once, Lara keeps on running like the key is stuck down.

I think I might try reinstalling - and maybe going back to the last non-beta forceware drivers.

By the way, which graphics cards do you need for Next Gen content?

Thanks!

Phil

tr1xp
15th Apr 2006, 23:13
Sounds to me like you have something running that is hogging massive CPU time.

Virus?
Spyware?
Virus scanner?
Tons of "auto start, run when Windows starts" programs and junk?
Desktop themes and other similar resource hogs?

Graphics card for Next-Gen? One made about 3 years from now. Next-Gen is really pretty much unplayable unless you have absolute cutting edge hardware with dual top of the line graphics cards running in SLI. Forget Next-Gen.

If you hit reboot, wait about 1 minute, then hit Control+Alt+Delete, then Task Manager, and under the Processes Tab (top, second one) how many Processes (lower left corner) do you see running? How much CPU Usage (lower middle)?

For reference, mine is Processes 15, CPU Usage 0% - 1% with Internet Explorer running as I type this right now.

I'm running Windows XP Pro. AMD Athlon 64 3000. 1 Gig PC3200 DDR Dual Channel. BFG 6800GT OC.

Pendragon
16th Apr 2006, 12:38
There are a couple of things you can check

With the game running and Lara still, press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to bring up the task manager.
Click on the 'Processes' tab and from the list find trl.exe running.
Right click and check if the 'Set Priority' is set to 'Normal' if not set it to 'Normal', go back to the game and see if she stops running around.

Second run up 'Control panel' and using the keyboard applet check the 'Repeat Rate' of your keyboard. Mine went to full speed when I installed the game.

Good Luck.

piquet00
16th Apr 2006, 18:31
Thanks for your help.

Tr1xp, I checked out the auto-start apps and got rid of Google Desktop and got my CPU usage down from 4-5% to 2%. This didn't seem to make a lot of difference so I reinstalled the last proper Nvidia drivers (rather than the current beta version). It all seems a lot better now - Lara doesn't run on and the game is no longer jerky.

Pendragon, I checked out the priority, and it is on "Normal", but my repeat rate was set to max so that didn't help!

Do you think it was the beta drivers mainly at fault?

Phil

tr1xp
16th Apr 2006, 18:51
No. I ran TRL with the official and the beta drivers, no difference at all in normal or next-gen mode.

I think it was that Google crap :p

piquet00
17th Apr 2006, 17:25
Despite kicking the Google indexing out, the problem happened again today. When I checked TRL.exe was high priority but the keyboard repeat settings were unchanged. So I set TRL.exe back to normal and the game played fine again! Strange it should perform better with a lower priority - but I'm glad it does!

Phil