PDA

View Full Version : What would you improve in Tomb Raider: Legend?

imported_Mark_
15th Apr 2006, 16:10
I have created this thread hoping it can help Crystal Dynamics to get the right way in the development of the next Tomb Raider installment.

I'll start with some improvements:

The lenght. Tomb Raider: Legend was short overall. New gameplay modes and a longer story would help in this aspect.

The difficulty. Overall the game has been quite easy, even in hard mode. Improving the enemies' AI and hiding some puzzle elements and paths would help.

The controls. Although I loved the new control system, some players have complained about it, especially when it comes to swimming.

The enemies. I've mentioned the AI system before, but in this point I want to talk about the variety of enemies, which is very small. Basically, we could fight six types of enemies: humans, tigers (puma's), dogs, the lake monster and Amanda's monster. Consider some mythical enemies and snakes...

Lara. She looked kind of weak sometimes. Remember she was a very strong woman in the first Tomb Raider's.

The graphics. Tomb Raider: Legend is the most beautiful and detailed Tomb Raider so far, especially in the next generation versions. But it's not as realistic as it could be, and I'm talking especially about Lara. Her hair could be more detailed and realistic. Her skin (in the next gen versions) looks like plastic sometimes and a sub-surface scattering would be a great implementation.

This is my list for now... I hope you post your improvements as well!! ;)

Tinusss
15th Apr 2006, 16:15
I got another thing what might be improved,

Personally, I liked those larger puzzles more, in TRL, all puzzles are in one room. I liked it more when the puzzels are in a much larger area and that you have to search for one and another.

They made the puzzles in one room because they thought it would be too hard if they didn't, guess what? It's too easy now, lol.

-Dizzy-
15th Apr 2006, 16:40
In my opinion this is what NEEDS improving. Everything else I could live with.

- The game needs to be longer, at least twice as long.

- Needs to be more challenging. Perhaps make the climbing parts longer as well.

- More enemies. The first started out with wolves, but then a few bears got thrown in,a few dinosaurs as well. It got progressively harder. Then the T-Rex came :D

- Needs to be a little less linear. Just so that there is maybe one point on each level where I think "where do I go next?" or "what do I do now?"

That's about it. That's all I truly care for.

- Maybe a slight graphical makeover though. I liked the graphics, and while I did like the characters I would prefer it if they were a little more realistic. The characters in this game looked a little cartooney, reminded me of the Timesplitters series.

Prometeus
15th Apr 2006, 16:47
My point of view

- The lenght: yes, the game is too short

- Difficulty: I hope that they won't revenge against us taking the puzzles of Riven (from Myst series) to the next game. But yes, the puzzles are too easy, althought the interesting thing is how will you get to that inaccesible platform or how will you cross that cliff

- The controls: For me, they are perfect (except the explanation about how to do the angel jump at Ghana [not only, press the space bar + F + forward, really, it is Run+Esp Bar+F+ still hold the forward key])

- The enemies: They aren't enough, we need more (but if this will make the game as a shooter, plz, improve the locking control on fighting, don't make me press the K key to throw a grenade if my fingers can't reach it at that moment)

- Lara: Now she has a realistic appearance, she can't look like Himan for biological reasons, the women barely have testosterone which can develop the muscles a lot. She can be strong, but not so strong

- The graphics: Here i had problems, sometimes, the next gen graphics crash my computer at Kazajstan, and Nepal in some places. And, as i said, Rutland appears in blue in my PC (XFX 6800 GS OC, it's enough fast to perform the next gen). But Lara had a perfect look if that was enabled, i could see perfectly the sweat in her face

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 16:53
The controls were almost perfect, but I liked it better when movement was configured to Lara's point of view.
I guess most people agree that it was too short, but then again, the replay value and exploration makes up for alot of that.
I loved the interactive cutscenes and hope to see those again, only I would like for them to be much harder... More buttons to press.
I miss back-leveling and searching for artifacts to unlock doors. Back-leveling could have made this game a heck of alot longer!
Get rid of those dang annoying help boxes! The whole game is like a tutorial!
I would like to be able to move around while in manual target mode.
The combos are awesome! Definetly keep the combos! "Wow, that was absolutely brilliant, Lara!"

an example of back-leveling - when you must locate a key artifact in level 3 to access a section of level 2 in order to get to level 4. :confused: We've seen this in previous TRs.

Prometeus
15th Apr 2006, 16:59
And get rid of those dang annoying help boxes! The whole game is like a tutorial!

That info just appear at certain places, not everytime. That's more, that info boxes just are telling us how to do certain hide movements, it isn't telling us how to finish the level (just a little part of the level)

thoran6
15th Apr 2006, 17:55
get rid of autograb, i like to fall every once and while and keep the button held down while climbing and such

no annoying guys in my ear all the time

more levels like the sphinx or venice italy

more gators, snakes, and such

more health packs

uzi and searching for ammo

aw to heck with it, just make it all like TR2

wonrz
15th Apr 2006, 18:01
They could get rid of auto targeting and give a free moving crosshair while weapons are drawn (at least for the PC version). They could also teach Lara how to shoot, 'couse she's extremely inaccurate (semi-automatic pistols or short bursts for machine guns).

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 18:27
They could get rid of auto targeting and give a free moving crosshair while weapons are drawn (at least for the PC version). They could also teach Lara how to shoot, 'couse she's extremely inaccurate (semi-automatic pistols or short bursts for machine guns).

Yeah, I hate that you can't move around in manual target mode.

That info just appear at certain places, not everytime. That's more, that info boxes just are telling us how to do certain hide movements, it isn't telling us how to finish the level (just a little part of the level)

I know that, but it was totally unnecessary after the first level or two. And could have been done away with completely in hard mode, don't ya think?

Prometeus
15th Apr 2006, 19:39
I know that, but it was totally unnecessary after the first level or two. And could have been done away with completely in hard mode, don't ya think?

Yes, it could be removed in hard mode, i agree

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 20:12
no annoying guys in my ear all the time

Lara needs friends, too. I'm just jealous that I'm not the one keeping her company. ;)

CharlieTrace
15th Apr 2006, 20:57
Definitely a longer game next time, and it would be great if one or two of the levels had alternate routes to take, or big hub levels like in Palace Midas from TR1. Remember, how you had the big room in the center, then the puzzle rooms branching off where you would get the gold to open the main door? Maybe something like that.

NaughtyGirl
16th Apr 2006, 00:45
Make the camera less wiggy and I agree with allowing back pedaling of levels, I cried at all the ammo and health I could have gone back for. Also missed backflipping and side flipping (not just when shooting) and the buttons needed different configuring, I kept throwing grenades when I wanted to shoot, and was hard to reach around all buttons at times to do the amazing things I knew Lara could do. Binoculars were a waste so add another weapon and also liked having flares instead of PLS.

I liked it, but hey everything could always use improvement!:thumbsup: TRL is very new millenium and if this is the wave of the future, it looks pretty bright to me. Much better than before.

Mark H
16th Apr 2006, 13:10
i am playing xbox version (i have all other tr's in pc and I would use Wingman Rumble Pad)...and im 12% complete ..on Japan boss right now...thus far heres my take on it (real quick item thow...this one is WAYYYY better the AOD!!!!!)<a quick backround on my TR experience i have ALL TR games plus the GOLD versions ..some arent even open yet!!..I have completed to date 2, 3, AOD....Im currently playing Lost Artifact and Last Revelation and Legend........thus far 2 has been HANDS DOWN THE BEST!!!!!):
Improves:
1 - Kinda corny but I miss the "OOOH"'s...and AHHHH"s when Lara found secrets
2 - Id lose the backround voices....they are annoying and not really relevant to the game....pointless.....kinda like that kurt charater in AOD...meaningless
3 - I'd like to be able to hold more then one weapon in items....I know its more realistic if she can only hold one at a time...but i liked having options..i dunno...im kinda torn on this one
4 - Id get the side stepping; side rolls; crawls back in....I miss those moves
Id remove the hints that pop up during play...like the "A" will start flashing to show where to throw grapple...I can see this at beginning of game as a learning tool but thru it all???....I hate tips during play.....takes the "thought element out of it"...let ME try to figure out what to do.
5 - I dont need a soundtrack ALL the way thru it!!...i liked that the other TR's were almost silent at times.....and music came in every so often...from what i can tell right now theres CONSTANT music...id drop that......TR games are desinged (i think) to where u get lost in thought.....solitary kind of atmosphere......and the music is a distraction
6 - Make secrets HARDER to find.......its nothing to it to find secrets....well so far every secret i have found is within view just about.......no i havent found all but i recall in past games they werent this easy to come across
7 - More switches and levers...alot of puzzles (thus far for me) seem like u had to move something or whatever..which is great!..i love that about the game....but i miss the "finding levers"......switching them....and hearing something move, then have to go tomb raid to find out what door opened...i LOVED that about the TR series....I literally get excited when i hit a switch and hear something open..Im like.."oh man...i hope its that one door i seen back in the other room!!!!"...and then when i go look and its not...im thinking.."what the heck??!?!?...what door opened!!???"..then its back to exploring!!...so far this game isnt like this.....everything is in one room.....kind of a let down
8 - I miss the "getting totally LOST in a tomb"......so far i havent gotten lost once in Legend....i recall earlier TR's (2, 3, Lost Artifact)...you can get LOST BIGTIME and have to work your way back on path....that was great!...so far...this game lacks that!
9 - id rather have flares then a light attachment..hahaha
10 - I miss the button to push a button where u can walk to an edge without having to worry on falling off..(I think its the walk button and forward)..I dont think u can do this on Xbox
11 - MAKE THE GAME LONGER!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO BE ON THIS THING ON FIRST TRY FOR 3 MONTHS!!!..hahaha
12 - I miss the bone crunching when falling....I miss the screams when falling into oblivion...I miss the sounds of the Desert Eagle gun from TR3......TR2 & 3 had the absolute best gun sounds!!...kind of mobid but i miss the blood gushing when falling onto knives..or shooting enemies...hahah..i know..im a sicko
13 - are there ANY keys to find in this game?!?!?!?

What I like thus Far:
1 - Id like to say graphics...but im playing on a regular Xbox and im sure the PC version looks AWSOME!...BUT from what i can tell on Xbox its pretty slick
2 - I like the AI...seems like the enemies are harder to kill.....they lock right on to you bigtime....it took me forever to get thru the village in Peru! those guys were all over me!!!....the most challenging yet from any TR game i played
3 - I like the outfits....the black dress,,,YUMMY!!..hahaha
4 - grapple cool tool!
5 - controls are 10000000000% better to me....i have ONE slight problem though when i try to line Lara up for a jump...kinda hard to get the right angle going..other then that i can complain on controls AT ALL!!!
6 - I like the interaction on "Cut Sequences"...I ALSO like that not EVERY cut sequence is interactive....to throw that in every now and then is a cool idea...........though i must say i think it would have been excellent idea to make the Japan Mototrbike jump completely up to you!.......that would be HARD! ( i know u still control the action in that sequence...but i would have liked it to be part of regular game play)

well thats it thus far. for me..again im only 12% complete on a regulr xbox

tunka
16th Apr 2006, 16:26
I think Crystal Graphics needs to fix this game and not wait for the next one.

I do not plan to buy Legend because of the poor programming on Laura and the short game.
They improved the graphics but not the game. Why did it take so long to do cheap lousy work.

thoran6
17th Apr 2006, 17:47
i am playing xbox version (i have all other tr's in pc and I would use Wingman Rumble Pad)...and im 12% complete ..on Japan boss right now...thus far heres my take on it (real quick item thow...this one is WAYYYY better the AOD!!!!!)<a quick backround on my TR experience i have ALL TR games plus the GOLD versions ..some arent even open yet!!..I have completed to date 2, 3, AOD....Im currently playing Lost Artifact and Last Revelation and Legend........thus far 2 has been HANDS DOWN THE BEST!!!!!):
Improves:
2 - Id lose the backround voices....they are annoying and not really relevant to the game....pointless.....kinda like that kurt charater in AOD...meaningless
3 - I'd like to be able to hold more then one weapon in items....I know its more realistic if she can only hold one at a time...but i liked having options..i dunno...im kinda torn on this one
Id remove the hints that pop up during play...like the "A" will start flashing to show where to throw grapple...I can see this at beginning of game as a learning tool but thru it all???....I hate tips during play.....takes the "thought element out of it"...let ME try to figure out what to do.
5 - I dont need a soundtrack ALL the way thru it!!...i liked that the other TR's were almost silent at times.....and music came in every so often...from what i can tell right now theres CONSTANT music...id drop that......TR games are desinged (i think) to where u get lost in thought.....solitary kind of atmosphere......and the music is a distraction
6 - Make secrets HARDER to find.......its nothing to it to find secrets....well so far every secret i have found is within view just about.......no i havent found all but i recall in past games they werent this easy to come across
7 - More switches and levers...alot of puzzles (thus far for me) seem like u had to move something or whatever..which is great!..i love that about the game....but i miss the "finding levers"......switching them....and hearing something move, then have to go tomb raid to find out what door opened...i LOVED that about the TR series....I literally get excited when i hit a switch and hear something open..Im like.."oh man...i hope its that one door i seen back in the other room!!!!"...and then when i go look and its not...im thinking.."what the heck??!?!?...what door opened!!???"..then its back to exploring!!...so far this game isnt like this.....everything is in one room.....kind of a let down
8 - I miss the "getting totally LOST in a tomb"......so far i havent gotten lost once in Legend....i recall earlier TR's (2, 3, Lost Artifact)...you can get LOST BIGTIME and have to work your way back on path....that was great!...so far...this game lacks that!
10 - I miss the button to push a button where u can walk to an edge without having to worry on falling off..(I think its the walk button and forward)..I dont think u can do this on Xbox
11 - MAKE THE GAME LONGER!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO BE ON THIS THING ON FIRST TRY FOR 3 MONTHS!!!..hahaha
12 - I miss the bone crunching when falling....I miss the screams when falling into oblivion...I miss the sounds of the Desert Eagle gun from TR3......TR2 & 3 had the absolute best gun sounds!!...kind of mobid but i miss the blood gushing when falling onto knives..or shooting enemies...hahah..i know..im a sicko

What I like thus Far:
1 - Id like to say graphics...but im playing on a regular Xbox and im sure the PC version looks AWSOME!...BUT from what i can tell on Xbox its pretty slick
2 - I like the AI...seems like the enemies are harder to kill.....they lock right on to you bigtime....it took me forever to get thru the village in Peru! those guys were all over me!!!....the most challenging yet from any TR game i played
4 - grapple cool tool!
5 - controls are 10000000000% better to me....i have ONE slight problem though when i try to line Lara up for a jump...kinda hard to get the right angle going..other then that i can complain on controls AT ALL!!!
6 - I like the interaction on "Cut Sequences"...I ALSO like that not EVERY cut sequence is interactive....to throw that in every now and then is a cool idea...........though i must say i think it would have been excellent idea to make the Japan Mototrbike jump completely up to you!.......that would be HARD! ( i know u still control the action in that sequence...but i would have liked it to be part of regular game play)

this post is the best i have seen yet. everything above is sooooo true...great post!!!

TheLegend
17th Apr 2006, 19:38
Make sure there are NO glitches! I've encountered 2 so far... one today that has seriously affected my game-play and is impossible to get past. I've read about it on the tombraiderchronicles.com walkthrough but it really is preventing me from getting any further! I cannot believe that such a big error has made it into the final game... incredibly frustrating. However, apart from that I think that Legend is a great game and I'm enjoying unlocking the secret information and content... especially the outfits! They're very good as rewards for completing sections of the game; I hope the next TR has even more! :)
If anyone has any advice about game returns for a glitch I'd be very happy to hear from you. I'm not wanting to get rid of the game; I just want it repaired/ patched!

Beechwell
17th Apr 2006, 19:43
Make sure there are NO glitches! I've encountered 2 so far... one today that has seriously affected my game-play and is impossible to get past.
Care to tell us what the glitch is? I never encountered one ascept from a few very minor graphical ones. I'm quite happy with TRL in that respect.

TheLegend
17th Apr 2006, 19:52
Yeah; it's in Kazakhstan when Lara has found the shield of King Arthur. I can't seem to get past the ledge around the corner near the gold secret, and the doors that are supposed to be continually opening and closing are frozen, meaning Lara cannot fit back through. I've spent so long using the magnetic gun, trying to work things out... ugh! Like I said; frustrating! If you can help, please do! :confused:

madmary
17th Apr 2006, 19:54
I agree with Mark H's views, except to add

I can't stand the auto-grab. I prefer to have to make Lara hold something and hang on to something. I need to get tired with her!

And the other thing which no-one has commented much on as far as I can see is that there are far too many cut scenes within levels. I want to be responsible for getting LC through, I don't want it taken out of my hands. I don't much care for the "press A" sequences during the cut scenes, but I'm really complaining about the fact that there are times when the "video clips" take over" eg when she chases her friend in the Land Rover and jumps into the car - why couldn't we be allowed to do that.

A better game would be to have the graphics with the method and idea of the old games. Is there any good reason why that couldn't happen.

I'm playing Oblivion at the moment, it has me gripped. I love the fact that it has taken me over 100 hours and I'm nowhere near finished. A good game is one that people don't just enjoy playing, they enjoy playing and playing and playing!

secrethunt
17th Apr 2006, 19:55
ok first time i play a tomb raider game is was easy i found one hard bit in the whole thing i was thought it was hard to play but found it easy and short but i like the grahics on it very good for it but i understand there when back to the basics of it so i think it needs to be harded and longer to and more challenges

Allek
17th Apr 2006, 20:12
I think Crystal Graphics needs to fix this game and not wait for the next one.

I do not plan to buy Legend because of the poor programming on Laura and the short game.
They improved the graphics but not the game. Why did it take so long to do cheap lousy work.

Why would they fix something that isn't broken? This game is awesome and if you don't buy it, then it's your loss. :p

dhama
17th Apr 2006, 20:19
make it a little cheaper too, so I can play it when everyone else does.

jules
17th Apr 2006, 23:54
A walk button on the PC version would be helpful;)

NaughtyGirl
18th Apr 2006, 00:02
I would tweak on the control just a little, loved how fluid she is now....absolutely, but missed the back and side flips (which look aweseome when her guns are out), definitely gotta work on the camera. The length of the game and exploration, well more is always better, right? Missed how she would walk into walls or hit a ledge and go "oof" because she bumped her cushions.

I loved the music, loved the look and sheer quality of the game.

Nothing's perfect and there is always room for improvement. This is a great launch with a new developer, not nearly as buggy and clunky as AOD (which I hated, not because the concept was bad, the concept was AWESOME, just didn't work and looked rushed, not a bad game to buy now for $9.99).

I wonder if CD and CD got together what awesomeness could be achieved!

zren
18th Apr 2006, 00:05
Improves:

What I like thus Far:
4 - grapple cool tool!

100% agreed. What you summed up is the definition of Tomb Raider

ahimsa
18th Apr 2006, 00:18
Improvements:

I would like for her to be able to pick up all items again. I don't care if it isn't realistic...it's a game not real life.

I liked having all the weapons and needing to decide which weapon would do the best job.

More creatures; real and mythical. A whole lot less humans.

Larger areas with plenty of places for her to climb and look for secrets...not gigantic Spyro gems!

I want precision to be brought back. Just aiming her in the general direction and she will almost always be successful is a total bore. I liked needing to be precise with jumps and such just as you would need to be in real life. This is a piece of reality that added to the games. The PoP moves are great for people who want to get through moves fast and without taking the time to learn and use precision.

Puzzles that don't insult the intelligemce. Ones that do require backtracking (memory skills and logic). The no brainer puzzles are a waste of time.

Secrets that you actually need to look for in secret places, not giant, flashy, glowing things. Interesting, the new Lara can't carry much in the way of medipacs and weapons, but she can carry these 3 foot tall rewards? Wow! What a woman! :rolleyes:

Instead of the choice of easy, medium, and hard levels, how about two games...one for the people who enjoy playing with Lara Croft: Princess of Persia and one that is for people who want to play with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

There are times when I was playing TR:TLR that I wished she had someone to talk to, but only when I wanted someone to be there to talk to or join in. Otherwise, I prefer her to work alone without the headphones.

Enough with the hints. Let me figure these things out for myself, thank you!

Now this feature is one that I know will never happen, but I still would love it. I would like Lara to flip you off anytime you make a really stupid move that is about to kill her. :D

Leave as is:

The graphics, unless there are improvements that won't require hardware upgrades.

I like that with just a little pressure forward she does the stealth walk, much better than the way it was done in AOD.

Kicking

The grappling hook, but maybe with some improvements.

Auto grab when she is climbing out of the water and use after you have made her successfully grab something.

Mr. Furious
18th Apr 2006, 00:50
Add a SPRINT function!!!

imported_Mark_
18th Apr 2006, 01:08
Add a SPRINT function!!!
:eek: But that would make the game even shorter!

munchkin
18th Apr 2006, 01:09
TRL, only improvments needs, slightly more puzzles, optional hints after level one-two unless a new move or pickup requires it.

Still alittle notice when a checkpioint is passed, its nice to know, incase one needs or wants to manual save it, the one thing i find most annoying replaying POP two thrones, is the compl;ete guess work of when the checkpioints are.

Some levels but not many without zip and alistair, but don;t get rid of them as i like the banter, its fun.

Leave the mansion, as is, its alot better, old TR doesn;t mean better, just different. Open up more areas in mansion, and the outside, with some form of vehicle course. return some jumping options sideways etc without having to hold aim, (anything to stop peopel comp;laing they can;t do it, even though they can)

and a tad longer. although we shoudl all rember TR1 wasn't the longest game either and eaisly completable within 10hrs, does that make it a bad game? nope.

don;t fiddle to much with TRL, as its pretty good just how it is and nearly made POP two thrones unplayable, as the controls, were so clunky, after playing Legend :) so old system :) still are, really, it does get a might frustrating, hopefully games now, will utalise the more intuative control systyem CD used for TRL sheer genius. :)

overall i woudln;t change much, if TRL'[s seuel was much the same with only a few little tweeks i'd be a very happy bunny.

beccaxx

laraflames
18th Apr 2006, 01:17
-controls
the new controls r good and easy to use but im already really used to the old ones

(note)leave lara the way she is she looks very sexy and she sould look like a lady who lookes like she cant do nothing then ends up she could kill an army

-mansion
please allow to explore the entire mansion it looks so big !!

-longer levels
this was good but the levels should last just like 25 minutes more that what they do now

and the rest is pretty good :D

Beechwell
18th Apr 2006, 01:21
TRL, only improvments needs, slightly more puzzles, optional hints after level one-two unless a new move or pickup requires it....
I second that. Only replace "slightly" with many, and "tad" with much.

And I also have the feeling that some people glorify the first game(s) a bit. Legend couldn't just copy the old recipe (which many believed was overdone before TR4). Especially the enhancement of the controls was a necessary step. Only unfortunate that the game is too much geared towards a young audience and towards people who re familiar with the movies (the new mansion and the sidekicks).

munchkin
18th Apr 2006, 01:42
not sure why there is so much fixation on the movie influence, its really not that great or that obivous, zip was already a cast member before the first movie, then AOD occured whcih i'll ignore, so its natural as many fans liked zip to bring him back. given the new storyline, and Lara havig choice of three mansion, estates, the new mansion also makes sense, CD are not going to want, there mansion to be an exact copy of Cores, so rather than use the same locations and mess ot much with the design, new mansion, new location. amazing mansion, could be bigger, but no doubt they will address that in TR8.

For their first TR game, amazing. give em a chance that how i feel, they have proved they have the goods, if alittle faulty here and there, they;ve set themselves a good bench marked, ruined other control systems for us all. Lets see what they do next.

got to agree with you on the controls though :) just replaying POP two thrones, and jeez are they controls hard to get used to after the joy and smooth responsiveness of TRL. :)

beccaxx

Beechwell
18th Apr 2006, 01:49
zip was already a cast member before the first movie, then AOD occured whcih i'll ignore, so its natural as many fans liked zip to bring him back.
Really? When was that? TR3? Because I don't remember much from that game.

I do think that Lara having her private tech team even with an electronics section within the great hall of the mansion (*shudder*) is inspired by the movies. But I don't really mind all that much. The conversations between Lara and her advisors are fun sometimes. Just let them be quiet more often.

Johnny
18th Apr 2006, 07:12
#1 - The CAMERA! Absolutely frustrating! :mad:
#2 - The controls. Personally, I think the controls in Legend were A LOT more confusing and hard to work with than any previous Tomb Raider (dare I include Angel of Darkness). Swimming was especially frustrating! I don't understand how Riley Cooper said "Lara will move the way you've always wanted her to." What was he smoking when he made that statement? :rolleyes:
#3 - Make the game LONGER!
#4 - Greater variety of baddies. Too much of the same thing... men with guns. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:
#5 - Polish the graphics more. Although the graphics were beautiful, there were so many clipping issues and other graphic/texture glitches. It makes the game a bit sloppy IMO.
#6 - Bring back the old savegame system from previous TRs!
#7 - Access to the gardens outside at Croft manor!

Overall, Legend was a good game, but it wasn't as exciting as it was made out to be. I really think it was hyped up WAY too much. Hyping something up like that will only lead people to develop very high expectations and the end result is usually disappointment.

P.S. This is a perfect thread, Mark. :) I really hope Crystal Dynamics takes a glimpse of this!

ahimsa
18th Apr 2006, 09:45
#2 - The controls. Personally, I think the controls in Legend were A LOT more confusing and hard to work with than any previous Tomb Raider (dare I include Angel of Darkness). Swimming was especially frustrating! I don't understand how Riley Cooper said "Lara will move the way you've always wanted her to." What was he smoking when he made that statement? :rolleyes:
#4 - Greater variety of baddies. Too much of the same thing... men with guns. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:
#5 - Polish the graphics more. Although the graphics were beautiful, there were so many clipping issues and other graphic/texture glitches. It makes the game a bit sloppy IMO.

Overall, Legend was a good game, but it wasn't as exciting as it was made out to be. I really think it was hyped up WAY too much. Hyping something up like that will only lead people to develop very high expectations and the end result is usually disappointment.

P.S. This is a perfect thread, Mark. :) I really hope Crystal Dynamics takes a glimpse of this!

Good point; I forgot about that. The checkpoints are a pain. I want to save where I want to save.

I do like this motorcycle better than the one in TR:TLR

Beechwell
18th Apr 2006, 14:02
I know what you are talking about. But there really are only a few points where the camera poses a real problem. Unfortunately this seems to b a problem common to this type of game.

I think the controls are the most controversial issue with this game. I love tham. I think they are much more accurate and easy to operate than in previous TR games. It may take some time to get used to when you haven't played any recent 3rd person games. Oh and the swimming controls are much better than they use to be. I always used to get lost under water. Now, I know I'll stay in one hight, unless I specifically tell her to go up/down.

agreed. 'Nuf said.

Generally I'd cut down on the large fights. There seems to be one in each level. I don't really mind having getting fantasy creatures only occasional; it makes them more special.

Can't really say much about that, since I run the game on rather low graphic settings. Can't say how NextGeneratio really looks.

Personallly, I like the checkpoint system, I takes over the bother to save my progress all the time. Although it would be nice, if we could alternatively save at any given point. But since each level is so short - does it really matter?

Why are people so obsessed with the garden? Is there a pretty lady getting a linefree tan or what?

I agree to that. i might add that this game (from the linearity and difficulty) is probably more tailored towards new players, thinking that we old fans would buy ans tomb raider game anyway (and didn't we?)

larini
18th Apr 2006, 15:50
I think that swimming controls in PC keyboard are to bad.

Lucos
18th Apr 2006, 15:53
...bring back the regular choice of weapons (maybe throw in a few extra ones, just to be nice :)) and have the option of flicking backwards and forwards through them (like on grand theft auto games). more puzzles and longer levels!!!!

this was decent for a first attempt though, cant blame them for trying something different with it

JoeyLovesLara
18th Apr 2006, 16:12
Hmmm, I am incredibly happy with this game, but if I could suggest a few improvements, mine would be:

1. Croft Manor needs to be fully explorable. I know I'm not the only one on this one, but having all these doors and gates that you can't enter is just a tease! Lol. I felt like there was sooo much to do in Croft Manor squeezed into the space of five rooms.

2. Whatever happened to the days when Lara was a loner, lol? Now she trusts Zip and Alister to live in her home whilst she's away? I also know that a few years ago in Chronicles, Lara didn't trust Zip that much... I guess things changed.

3. I miss keys and items.

4. I miss not being able to go in Lara's backpack to see her inventory. If I've acquired 3 pieces of an artifact, I'd like to be able to see them.

Aside from that, the game was spectacular! I love the idea of Lara actually being able to use what she's been after for once. And the wardrobe was a stroke of genius.:D :D

Johnny
18th Apr 2006, 18:14
I know what you are talking about. But there really are only a few points where the camera poses a real problem. Unfortunately this seems to b a problem common to this type of game.

I know what you mean there, but the camera very rarely posed a problem (if any) for me in previous Tomb Raiders, with the exception of Angel of Darkness; I found the camera very cooperative. And one more thing... the targeting system was absolutely HORRENDOUS. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Legend's targeting system a -1! :p I never once had a problem with the targeting system of previous TRs, again, with the exception of Angel of Darkness. I have NO idea why Crystal Dynamics would change something that doesn't need to be changed. Change the bad, not the good! :rolleyes: I really hope Crystal Dynamics will take these things into consideration for TR8.

OldSchoolTRer
18th Apr 2006, 19:44
The old contol was better. It allowed for more tricky jumping and vaulting.

Remeber the back flips to a slanted ledge? Followed by a forward jump before you slid off to another ledge above?

And the actual negotiating of the traps.. Rather than just hitting a button when it flashes on the screen.

Also the puzzles were way to simple.

For detailed opinion see my post. "Tomb Raider Missed the Mark Again."

Higgs
19th Apr 2006, 00:02
I sum TRL in this two word phrase "interactive movie".

And I think that is how it was designed. However, I think gaming companies are foolish to think a gamer will pay 5x the cost of a movie just to be able to have some interaction.

Having all of the TR series, TRL is continuing this "interactive movie" trend for the sake of production cost. I think they are spending so much resources on visual eye candy, and much less on the strategy and gameplay aspect. They might just find a nitch in the casual gamers, but I suspect the real gaming community wont buy this trend very long.

Long way to say...stop the hollywood trend. I fear the next installment of TR will just use the arrow keys for game actions. But it will look really cool!

munchkin
19th Apr 2006, 01:15
Really? When was that? TR3? Because I don't remember much from that game.

I do think that Lara having her private tech team even with an electronics section within the great hall of the mansion (*shudder*) is inspired by the movies. But I don't really mind all that much. The conversations between Lara and her advisors are fun sometimes. Just let them be quiet more often.

Chronicles. :) the first TR moivie was made, before AOD came out, and after chronicles :)

beccaxx

sturkimov
19th Apr 2006, 01:35
I think that Legend needs a serious overhaul in controls when playing the keyboard/mouse combo. Legend is yet another game that was designed for console, then ported to PC, without any significant changes to the controls.

For some reason I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the controls. An example is that when I want to throw a grenade I'm usually being shot at. So while I try to dodge etc with WASD, I somehow have to reach for K to throw the granade. And K is just near by...

Secondly, when the game locks on a enemy, Lara aims for that enemy pretty much no matter what; a lot of times, I can't see the damn enemy, while I'm bumping into another one!

I'm comparing this to the way Mafia works, also third person, but I don't have any problems there. I'm thinking the reason is that it was designed for PC.

Beechwell
19th Apr 2006, 01:41
Chronicles. :) the first TR moivie was made, before AOD came out, and after chronicles :)

Ah yes, I remember now. That voice in her ear in the "Von Croft Enterprises" level. Ok, I'll take that back then, not all that movie oriented after all.

@Higgs: I heard the phrase "interactive movie" before. And I think it's pushing things a little. It's not like the whole game is just one interactive cutscene (I don't like those either). I do agree that the length is minimal and the difficulty is rather pathetic (apart from some not so easy boss fights and some golden secrets). But if CD can improve on that, I belive the series does have a future.

I find nothing wrong with the controls apart from a few camera issues. Aligning Lara carefully for every larger jump wasn't exactly one of my favourite parts of the past games. I do have the feeling that some people don't really give the series a chance to move on and do things a little different from how they were done in the 90s

sturkimov
19th Apr 2006, 02:14
I do have the feeling that some people don't really give the series a chance to move on and do things a little different from how they were done in the 90s

Sure if it made any sense! I'm not addressing the jumping around etc, I'm specifically targeting the "combat" mode, which I think many will agree on, is quite flawed when using keyboard/mouse combination.

Just because it's done differently doesn't make it any better.

dinodrs
19th Apr 2006, 02:23
Hello, I am new to this forum. Glad it is here.

I just purchased TRL and miss the classic controls for Lara.

Well, I am taking my time getting used to the new controls. I need help swinging from the vine. I jump from a cliff and grab on the vine and swinging stops pretty quickly. I want to start swinging again then jump and grab on the ledge of my choice.

Please help.

thanks,
Dino :(

Higgs
19th Apr 2006, 02:35
First, I assume your on a PC

"Aim" her by using the directional right or left keys

Start her swinging by using the directional forward/backward keys

When your ready to jump off the vine or rope, hit the spacebar (Jump)

dinodrs
19th Apr 2006, 04:12
First, I assume your on a PC

"Aim" her by using the directional right or left keys

Start her swinging by using the directional forward/backward keys

When your ready to jump off the vine or rope, hit the spacebar (Jump)

Thanks,
Yes, to answer your question, I am playing TRL on PC. I did press the W "forward" and she did not start swinging again. Sorry, I feel silly and helpless, considering that I am a major Tombraider. I am willing to get used to these controls and I appreciate your help. I noticed she she still hangs on when I let go of "E". I have even tried the the UP arrow. I cannot get her to swing. I can turn her around the vine. I feel soooo stupid.