PDA

View Full Version : TR:L killed my PC - Twice!

jonnyboy01
15th Apr 2006, 15:22
The other week I was playing the TR:Legend demo when the PSU (300w) blew on my PC.

I stuck a new (400w) PSU in and got the PC working again. I didn't run the demo again though.

Today I got the full TR:Legend game. I played it for 10 mins and, bang! The new PSU blew too.

The PC is an XP2800 with 1 gig ram and a 9800SE card.

I have had no problems with HL2 or CoD2, but I've now had two PSU's die whilst trying to play this game.

puppeteer
16th Apr 2006, 00:38
I really think it's just coincidence.

jonnyboy01
16th Apr 2006, 12:44
I don't think it's coincidence at all. I think the game is overloading the gfx card somehow.

Parser89
16th Apr 2006, 14:08
Unless you're running Nextgen, Legend is far less resource intensive than Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty 2, so if it was stress you probably would have experienced the problem with other games. What make of PSU are you using, and do you have any kind of power protection system such as a UPS? If you want to protect expensive electrical equipment it would certainly be worth investing in some kind of protected socket system to prevent power surges and spikes that could damage your equipment.

jonnyboy01
16th Apr 2006, 22:34
I do need to get a UPS. I've ordered a beefier PSU aswell.

I think the card was damaged as I started getting screen corruption too. I've just taken the card out as the screen was corrupting within 5 mins of turning the machine on which is usually an overheating problem.

I think running TR:L just highlighted the problem with the card but I'm surprised it blew two PSU's.

Rizlaboy
19th Apr 2006, 00:47
My Geforce 6600GT packed up whilst playing Tomb Raider Legend. It wasn't overclocked, only a few months old. My PC has never given me any grief until I played this game, then 20 mins into the first level...bang! The PC froze, then upon reboot the boot screen was all garbled and unreadable, I put the 6600GT into another PC and the result was the same. The card has been sent back to manufacturer and I'll have to wait a month to try it again...coincidence???

DABhand
19th Apr 2006, 03:26
Yes it is, Hardware can be faulty and when pumped to the max will cause the defects to do damage. So you GFX card could have been faulty or damaged in a way you didnt notice and the testers before it was shipped.

As for the PSU, I think its more a voltage issue than the game to be honest.

Ive never seen a game once in my life that regulates the PSU, thats what the motherboard does, takes the power from PSU and gives out to other hardware. I suggest checking your motherboard for power fluctuations and get your wall socket or extension block (where you get power for your monitor etc) checked, and to make sure get an extension that has power surge protection even a little power surge can blow a PSU.