PDA

View Full Version : Don't belive the hype!

VinceVega
15th Apr 2006, 14:53
Ok I just finished TRL on PC!

Good job I only paid £17.99 and not a stupid price on the 360 of about £50!

If anyone has ever played the original tomb raider then read on if not go play the original tomb raider then come back to compare the two (please read anyway)!

OK the graphics and controllers aren't as fluid on the classic TR as Lara’s new adventure but the depth of the game, it's eeriness and shear size of the first TR along with the save game crystal challenges and finger bruising as you squeeze the dam controller so hard as not to fall off was what made the classic TR so great!

The new game is
1 way too short, finished in 7hrs rip off!
2 way too easy
3 way to linier (only one route to go)
4 stupid auto saves makes puzzles more of a careless exercise
5 And the cotroles way to forgiving, you hardly ever fall off!

All I had to do to finish the game was to follow the not so subtle hints of cracks in the walls to jump on polls to swing off bits, and what’s with the encounter with about 5 random placed leopards in the game, oh and about 4 dogs.

The old game was filled with vampire bats that could knock you off high ledges, wolfs that hunted in packs, even Raptors and a big T-rex, not to mention the alien mummies towards the end!

The motor bike bits are so dull at least having a go on a skidoo on TR2 was a puzzle in it's self, in TRL its just a straight line finger on fire shoot em up in 3d, woopie!

If your reading this I’m sure you have already bought TRL and enjoy it for what it is but, I would go play the original TR or try Prince of Persia "The sands of Time" and the "Two Thrones"!

I’m currently playing Prince of Persia Revelations on the PSP and I’m having way more fun and a challenge than TRL, OK no boobs to stare at but a very good game.

Later

VV

carlo
15th Apr 2006, 14:59
Ok I just finished TRL on PC!

Good job I only paid £17.99 and not a stupid price on the 360 of about £50!

If anyone has ever played the original tomb raider then read on if not go play the original tomb raider then come back to compare the two (please read anyway)!

OK the graphics and controllers aren't as fluid on the classic TR as Lara’s new adventure but the depth of the game, it's eeriness and shear size of the first TR along with the save game crystal challenges and finger bruising as you squeeze the dam controller so hard as not to fall off was what made the classic TR so great!

The new game is
1 way too short, finished in 7hrs rip off!
2 way too easy

All I had to do to finish the game was to follow the not so subtle hints of cracks in the walls to jump on polls to swing off bits, and what’s with the encounter with about 5 random placed leopards in the game, oh and about 4 dogs.

The old game was filled with vampire bats that could knock you off high ledges, wolfs that hunted in packs, even Raptors and a big T-rex, not to mention the alien mummies towards the end!

The motor bike bits are so dull at least having a go on a skidoo on TR2 was a puzzle in it's self, in TRL its just a straight line finger on fire shoot em up in 3d, woopie!

If your reading this I’m sure you have already bought TRL and enjoy it for what it is but, I would go play the original TR or try Prince of Persia "The sands of Time" and the "Two Thrones"!

I’m currently playing Prince of Persia Revelations on the PSP and I’m having way more fun and a challenge than TRL, OK no boobs to stare at but a very good game.

Later

VV

I agree with all of that post apart from you calling it a "Rip off". I finished the main story within 9hrs but after going back and getting the rewards (only a few missing now) my playing tome is 19.30 hrs and ive only done one time trial so far so althoughThe new game is
1 way too short,
2 way too easy
Its still a good game

pól
15th Apr 2006, 15:01
Yeah Agree.

Very Sad how Tomb Raider Games have got steadily worse.

I bought legand in the hope 'they'might have learned from the really terrible Last Revalation- only to find that this is more of an insult to the (once but no more) loyal TR buyer. It cost me Euros 49.99- and is the greatest waste of Money ever.

Thats me finished with TR forever.

pól

pól
15th Apr 2006, 15:02
Yeah Agree.

Very Sad how Tomb Raider Games have got steadily worse in the last 3/4 yrs.

I bought Legend in the hope 'they' might have learned from the really terrible Last Revelation- only to find that this is more of an insult to the (once but no more) loyal TR buyer. It cost me Euros 49.99- and is the greatest waste of Money ever.

Thats me finished with TR forever.

pól

Resy
15th Apr 2006, 15:18
my god you guys can't be made happy...

TR1 comes out back in 1996. Everyone stands up and takes notice with a little help of Lara's nice butt and chest. But the game was awsome for its time.

Then out comes TR2... a mixed crowd. Some people thought it was great, others were expecting the controls and what not to be different.

TR3 comes out and people throw up their hands with "whats this crap?" Lara looked a little better... but it was the same old thing and Lara still handled like crap. People wanted her to handle better. They were tired of the grid.

Along comes TR4. People again were mixed about it. Sure while it was basicly Lara handling the same old way, everything was square and so much like the previous ones. People enjoyed the fact that it was Egypt and Lara and her environments did look a little better. But all and all... same ol thing.

TR5 (chronicles) is released. Its basicly a couple areas of Lara in various stages of her life as you play her. Everyone thinks she is dead since TR4 and oh guess what? Same old thing and everyone including probably you guys since you played them perhaps were let down.

But oh whats this? TR AoD for the PS2 and PC. It looks awsome on the PS2 graphics. Boosts of new handling, new environments and Lara is back, alive and looking for revenge or something. Oh... and despite all the people she has killed in the past... she's actually now wanted for the murder of but one man. Her mentor. The game was a disaster. graphic glitches, the tombs and puzzles sucked, Lara handled worse the ever and Eidos fires the dev team for good reason.

Now we have TRL. Created by a new team of developers who have no experience what so ever in making a TR game. I'm glad they did not make this one like the old ones. The old ones were sliding down hill fast with nothing to grab at the bottom before falling into the darkness. Lara handles like a dream, the environments are realistic and lush looking. Sounds are amazing. Lara looks amazing. Sure the game perhaps is short. But its their first one and most likely not their last. Give them a chance.

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 15:48
You people do realize that this is CDs first TR game, I hope. Did you all think it was going to be perfect? I had my doubts that this game would even be a fraction as good as it is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tomb Raider Legend is a step in the right direction. No, it is not perfect, but it has alot of potential. At least they are not going backwards anymore. I mean the last couple a TRs did not even deserve the name. I've played them all and Legend is a new beginning for Lara. I expect (if people quit hating) that the series will get better, longer and harder. Yet, if people keep bashing the game, it will no doubt end up lying next to AoD with no sequels.

I really want CD to continue with this series. They have done an outstanding job with their first TR release.

ut2004
15th Apr 2006, 17:40
right heres a High Quality Pic of Tomb Raider 2 (note the reused textures everywhere)
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/tombraider1_screenshots_01/screen2.jpg

now here is a High Quality Tomb Raider Chronicles (again everything is flat and the textures reused)

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/images/tombraider5_screenshots_01/screen9.jpg

now Tomb Raider Legend (every level unique in design)
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/202/920215_20050722_screen006.jpg

30+ outfits in TRL how many in older games (that you could unlock and use for that matter)?
the most interactive Croft Mansion to date ( a step backwords?)
Time trials!, what game had those? am I missing something?

PC controls hard?, change them!, They designed it so you have full control over what keys and your not restricted to any one setup.

Puzzles to easy?, well back in 1996 when games were few of course they are going to be hard and as for size, It's easy to reuse the same textures over and over.

just a very few points why Tomb Raider Legend is one of the best in the series to date.

munchkin
15th Apr 2006, 17:44
i do so like how everyone is looking at TR1 as if it is somehow perfect and long, IT IS JUST AS SHORT!!!! to any hoalf way decent player, TR1 is easily completable within 12hrs, whcih averageing most reports is what TRL is completable in. so you know what GET A GRIP move on and stop raining on everyone elses parade. its short we get it. okay, move on.

beccaxx

Dude®
15th Apr 2006, 17:47
i do so like how everyone is looking at TR1 as if it is somehow perfect and long, IT IS JUST AS SHORT!!!! to any hoalf way decent player, TR1 is easily completable within 12hrs, whcih averageing most reports is what TRL is completable in. so you know what GET A GRIP move on and stop raining on everyone elses parade. its short we get it. okay, move on.

beccaxx

12 hours are not enough???
I finished TR legend in 2 days, total time 06.08h !!! SIX HOURS?!?!?

Reidbynature
15th Apr 2006, 17:55
Though it is a short game and it does have its flaws I still believe that this is a great game and a return to form for TR. All they need to do for the sequel is to improve on the design and give us more. I also think that one of the most important points made was about the linear design. We all want big open levels with more choice in them. Also there could be more enemies and bosses and have them more varied.

thoran6
15th Apr 2006, 17:59
i agree with everything vincevega said, i have had people ridicule me and telling me to shut up for writing it, way to go vince,,i couldnt have said it better..

ut2004
15th Apr 2006, 18:05

14 Hours and 55 mins here the first time, And I missed alot of the content unlocking only a few outfits.

So how do you do this in 6 hours?, strategy guide?, Walkthru?, Are you a fallen power leveler from World of Warcraft?

munchkin
15th Apr 2006, 18:08

as i said averaging, whcih means taking all the reports, and finding a rough figure in the middle, hence 12hrs.

now go back to WOW and leave actiona dventuring to those of us who love it, more than 6 measily hrs.

beccaxx

tr1xp
15th Apr 2006, 18:59
i do so like how everyone is looking at TR1 as if it is somehow perfect and long, IT IS JUST AS SHORT!!!!

TR1 = 15+ large levels.
Time to complete even knowing the game inside out and having played it 10+ times already = 15+ hours.

TRL = 8 smallish levels (1 being a repeated one room boss fight)
Time to complete the very first time, exploring everything and finding all but 6 secrets, including 100% complete mansion, before there was a walkthrough = 6:59 (less than HALF of what it would take me to power rush through TR1 right now which would be about my 15th time through)

TRL is nothing but a short test demo slapped onto the Soul Reaver - Legacy of Kain engine and gameplay. It's simply not Tomb Raider anymore. Doesn't feel like it, doesn't play like it. I'm not saying it was horrible, just very disappointing and rip-off short.

As for those pics. The first one is TR1, not TR2, and if you don't think TRL reuses the same textures just as much, you're kidding yourself. Of course TRL looks much better, it's 10 years newer, but graphics aside, TR1 was at least 5 times the size of TRL, both in space to explore and timewise. TR1 is a vastly superior game in every way except graphics, but in 1996, it was as good by comparison.

Now I KNOW you aren't going to tell me these graphics were not more than adequate 10 years ago. Every bit as nice as TRL is today. Hell, they still look great today in a retro kind of way.

http://members.cox.net/tr1xp/TR1.jpg

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 19:02
ut2004, that is a real nice comparrison. It's amazing to actually see how far the graphics have progressed. It seems like a hundred years ago that I played the first TR. Now, I'm getting too old to play video games... what?!... ignore that comment... that's just my subconcious messing with me. ;)

movieman
15th Apr 2006, 19:37
I've been playing TR1 today. The controls are absolutely horrid, I spend most of the time running into walls, there are too many dead-ends leaving me wondering where I need to go next, and it crashes a lot (at least on XP), usually when saving, leaving a corrupt save-game.

I'll take Legend, thanks.

VinceVega
15th Apr 2006, 20:17
Thanks for the response Guys & Gals.

As for the graphics I’m not too bothered, the game play is what counts!

As for giving Crystal Dynamics a chance, they have made a multiple of platformers in the past (http://www.crystald.com/games_prev.htm) and have the Tomb Raider back catalogue to look upon for inspiration, what else do you need!

After playing the Demo I thought I would enter that tomb and never come out, but what I found in the full game where short set piece puzzles that offered little of a challenge.

I just found that I got into a room and looked around for 2 seconds, found the one and only object I could jump on, or that stood out from the rest of the level or flashed with the shiny thing or highlighted when I looked at it with my binoculars! Once I was on the set path, ran, jumped, auto grabbed etc, it was mind numbing!

At times I played in autopilot and was at the end of the level before I knew it, not one puzzle in the game made me stop and think! I only got stuck and frustrated on the sea monster as the switch from guns to grapple where unresponsive and some times repeated the animation so I missed the timing.

The save crystals in the old TR1 game may have been annoying at times but it was fun and a challenge to get to one! Most of the time you could see it across the level and getting there was a careful exercise of controlling Lara, in TRL you walk 10 paces and it auto saved / checkpoint an option to turn it off at least!

I played the whole game on PC with a usb Playstation 2 Dual Analoge Adapter.

Come on developers give us want we want!

I thought it would be cool for the whole game to go deep into a tomb until you got what you where after then had to come out again, but there would be multiple routes and at times you could see the return route lower down or higher up as you progressed through the game, so you wouldn’t be repeating the journey on the way back but a mix of the two.

Last note:
St Frances folly, TR1, awesome level!!!!!

Later

VV

Straw Dog
15th Apr 2006, 20:23
Now I KNOW you aren't going to tell me these graphics were not more than adequate 10 years ago. Every bit as nice as TRL is today. Hell, they still look great today in a retro kind of way.

http://members.cox.net/tr1xp/TR1.jpg

sniff... memories...:o

Piega
15th Apr 2006, 20:29
With the old editor is was very simple to create levels. All you have to do is sticking pictures onto squares. It also took little space on disk so there you have it, a long game running around.

If those people who think the first game is holy then play that episode again. Using it as an excuse to bash Legend is utter crap to me. I'm not defending Legend cause every one has their opinion but there was need for innovation.

What do you want? The same old engine with textures applied of 512 x 512 pixles onto the squares with better lighting. I would like that but only as a custom levelbuilder. There is no way to create a game like Legend on your own with such delicate engine.

I was totally sucked into the game and Lara is more Lara then ever, for me.

carlitoo
15th Apr 2006, 20:32
Couldn't give a damn about graphics!! Give me a good game any day of the week please. Legend is ok as games go and a vast improvement on AOD but nowhere near the quality of TR1. As for the controls, by TR2, you couldn't have a better control system in my opinion. Ruined it they have :(

sheighton
15th Apr 2006, 20:33
I would argue that this game was a GIGANTIC step foward, in addition to being one of the best in the series. To prove my point jsut try to go and play AOD. Believe me just to see the difference I reinstalled it after playing TRL and the controls were so clunky that I could not even get past the first level, not to mention the graphics wanted to make me vomit...Playability is always first on any REAL gamer's list for what a game needs; content is always second. You could have all of the greatest content in the world but if its format does not play well then it ain't worth cr@p. Sure TRL might be shorter than the other Tomb Raider games, but its quality of content, its amazing graphics, and its fanatasic true-shooter controls made this game a thrill to play. It still had all of the old nostalgia of the old TR's but it did it with far more flair. As had been said earlier in this thread, sure you can make many expansive levels using the same patterns repeated over and over again, and sure that may have worked back in 1996, but it doesn't cut it today. The fact that TRL added so much side content, so much new eye-candy graphics, unlockable outfits, a new and better revised storyline, all of this has made it so that the next game will probably end up being by far and away the best Tomb Raider EVER. The developers probably know that this game was a little on the short side, but that really is the only flaw that people can give...Want to make a bet that the next game will be longer and still build off of TRL's leaps and bounds, not to mention have amazing graphics? I will therefore decree that anyone who fails to see what this game was, a test platform for an idea that will spawn one of the greatest computer games ever, and who fails to see past the few short-comings of a great game is thus a fool. BE GONE WITH YE' FOOLS!

tr1xp
15th Apr 2006, 21:46
I've been playing TR1 today. The controls are absolutely horrid, I spend most of the time running into walls, there are too many dead-ends leaving me wondering where I need to go next, and it crashes a lot (at least on XP), usually when saving, leaving a corrupt save-game.

I'll take Legend, thanks.

If you run into walls, that's your fault, not the controls. Try pressing left and right once in a while. It makes Lara turn and not run into walls. You can even do it in mid air and get a little "air control" during jumps. This is how games were before auto-pilot was added. This is what made Tomb Raider fun! You actually had to do something, and have a small amount of coordination. This makes about as much sense as saying, "I run and jump off the ledge, but Lara just smashes her face on the opposite ledge and falls! The controls are horrid!" when you aren't pressing the action button to grab the ledge. She will fall if you don't grab the ledge. Duh! It's not the controls....it's YOU!

If it crashes a lot...again, your fault. Fix your PC. I am also replaying TR1 and have NEVER had it crash. Ever.

I will therefore decree that anyone who fails to see what this game was, a test platform for an idea that will spawn one of the greatest computer games ever...

I don't pay full price for test platforms. I pay for quality, complete, full length games.

NaughtyGirl
16th Apr 2006, 00:36
well I like it, the graphics the wiggy controls (she's almost too fluid for me LOL) I haven't even begun to explore or get the rewards and I'm not even 50% complete, means lots of replayability for me, the only thing I hate is the camera but other TR had same problem occassionally. No crazy bugs like AOD!!Thank you :thumbsup: It's nothing to be hyped over, it's just a video game, if you don't like it, get a refund, buy a new one. As for me most games don't have half the appeal of this little ole game since all I really like is TR, MK, and FF so ......well, once again, I'm pretty happy with the game. I've cussed it when I die (I've died a lot-it's called Ihateanalogitis), I've been frustrated, I've been challenged, I've been awed!! Other than waiting for Final Fantasy which will more than fulfill me lengthwise I'm sure.....

Toran
16th Apr 2006, 01:01
I like the game for the most part. Graphics are fine, atmosphere's nice, control's smooth and the difficulty might be a bit low for the TR vets.

What I don't like is the marketing of the "Next-Gen-Content" as most of it could be produced with shader 2.0 cards aswell. Besides the performance is far too low for the result. I saw far better graphics with higher performance in other games.

sheighton
16th Apr 2006, 01:37
I don't pay full price for test platforms. I pay for quality, complete, full length games.

I seem to recall paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $39.95 for it, not the full $49.99...Maybe you got jipped and had to pya for a 'full' price game...