PDA

View Full Version : Wet Lara with Next Gen?

noodlehead
15th Apr 2006, 09:07
Hi,
Does anyone know why without next-gen on Lara has a lovely wet skin texture when she gets out of the water, but enabling Next-Gen there is no water 'wet-skin' effect, and she just looks normal.

The Next Gen environment graphics are great but Lara looks better without next-gen on. :(

Cheers,
Noodlehead

Running an Alienware Athlon 64 3500, 1gig Ram, 6800GT.

Toran
16th Apr 2006, 01:27
No idea, maybe they forgot it? :D

The lighting in the Next-Gen-Content is strange too at times. Like the last cut scene/shoot-out of the first level. In normal mode the plateau is in bright sunlight (which makes sense with the copters around) and with NG it's very dark as if you were still in the subterran ruins.

jdawg224
16th Apr 2006, 19:14
i've been wonderng the same too. i always thought it was just my video card. can someone confirm that this is indeed true for everyone?

sup2069
16th Apr 2006, 19:19
Not sure if it effects everyone, but from the looks of it NG is broken and needs a overhaul to get it working as intended. Stay tuned for a patch!

RavenLord
17th Apr 2006, 08:50
Hi,
Does anyone know why without next-gen on Lara has a lovely wet skin texture when she gets out of the water, but enabling Next-Gen there is no water 'wet-skin' effect, and she just looks normal.

The Next Gen environment graphics are great but Lara looks better without next-gen on. :(

Cheers,
Noodlehead

Running an Alienware Athlon 64 3500, 1gig Ram, 6800GT.

It's the same on my comp (Athlo64 3500, 2 GB ram, Sapphire Radeon X1900 XTX). No wet skin. I feel cheated.

Also, areas that are brightly illuminated in non-Next Gen mode, are very dark with Next Gen turned on.

Giolon
19th Apr 2006, 21:03
Lara also doesn't get wet while wearing the swimsuits, either in Next Gen or non-Next Gen modes.

UrbanShark
20th Apr 2006, 01:13
Is the next gen built just for nvidia graphics cards because I can not enable it on my pc and I have installed 1.1v. Can anyone help?

Intel P4 3.2ghz
1GB RAM 667mhz
ATI Radeon X850XT 256MB

dv8withn8
21st Apr 2006, 03:42
With next-gen, instead of just darkening her skin(w/o next-gen) you can actually see clear water beading down her skin. It's less eye-popping but more realistic.

hotrippr
21st Apr 2006, 07:49
Dark areas with next gen i believe are supposed to be more realistic shadowing...well i think thats what they intended. if it is way dark then try playing with enabling or disabling AA. You culd also turn up the brightness.

ViperXtreme
21st Apr 2006, 09:25
GeForce 6600GT user here,also has that wet skin problem when next gen is enabled. Using Beta ForceWare 84.43

noxdg
21st Apr 2006, 10:02
That "wet look" issue is the same on my PC using a 1900XT.

The xbox 360 version is just like the Next Gen for the PC, only it has been polished and, for all practical purposes, works the way the game intended. That version has the "wet look". The PC version needs many bug fixes and this is just one in a long list.

UrbanShark, to answer your question, you need a video card that supports SM 3.0 for next gen. The x850 is SM 2.0.

DucusSumus
21st Apr 2006, 18:07
I have the same problem. Dirtiness is another feature that does not work in next-gen, and there are some texture bugs and visual issues with the magnetic grapple as well.

I have a feeling that Next-Gen for PC was very much rushed to make the simoltaneous multi-platform release date. I hope that they are working on a patch right now.