PDA

View Full Version : TRL Theme = "Ailein Duinn" or "Dark Alan"

meznu
15th Apr 2006, 04:36
Subject: RE: Words to Ailein Duinn, or Dark Alan
Date: 25 Feb 04 - 12:42 AM

Gura mise tha fo èislean (How sorrowful I am
Moch sa' mhadainn is mi 'g èirigh Early in the morning I am rising)

Sèist:
O hì, shiubhalainn leat... (O hì, I would walk with thee...
Hì rì bhò, hò rù bhì
Hì rì bhò, hò rinn ò hò
Ailein Duinn, ò hì shiubhalainn leat Dark Allan, I'd walk with thee)

Ma 's e 'n cluasag dhut a ghaineamh (If thy pillow is the sand
Ma 's e leabaidh dhut an gheamainn If thy bed is the seaweed)

Sèist:

Ma 's en t-iasg do choinlean geala (If the fish are thy candles bright
Ma 's na ròin do luchd-faire If the seals are thy watchmen)

Sèist:

Dh'òlainn deoch ge boil le c*ch e (I would drink though all abhor it
Dè dh'fhuil do choim 's tu 'n Of thy heart's blood after
Dèidh do bhathadh... Thy drowning.)

Sèist:

SOURCE link: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=9471

A sample from this folk song is also featured in DJ Tiesto's "A Tear In The Open" from the album JUST BE.

meznu
15th Apr 2006, 05:04
And there's this!

(too much time on my hands this morning...)

"The Shiant Isles are steeped in history. The Gaelic culture is rich with songs that cover the history of the islands. One such lament is the song of Annie Campbell of Scalpay for her betrothed, Ailein Duinn (brown-haired Alan). The tale is that Allan Morrison, son of Roderick Morrison of Stornoway, was a sea captain who plied his trade between Stornoway and the Isle of Man. In the spring of 1786 he set sail for the little island of Scalpay, off Harris, where he was to go through the ceremony of a marriage contract with Annie Campbell, daughter of Campbell the tacksman of Scalpay. Not far short of their destination, Captain Morrison and his crew were overtaken by a violent storm, and the ship foundered with all hands. Broken-hearted, Annie wasted away with grief, and died within a few months. Her body was taken to Rodel, on Harris, for burial in the ancient church, but on the voyage the boat was almost overwhelmed by a furious storm. To lighten the ship the coffin had to be cast overboard. Not long after, Captain Morrison's body was found on a beach on the lonely Shiant islands (the enchanted isles, to translate the Gaelic). A few days later the girl's corpse was also washed up on the same beach, swept thither by the strong tidal currents."

SOURCE: http://www.virtualhebrides.com/history/theshiants/index.htm

But I like the image in Tiesto's story better, so I like to think of Annie Campbell as one of these women:

MM: "A Tear In the Open" – what language is that?

T: It’s Gaelic, from the 15th century. It’s a complaint. There was a big war in Ireland and a lot of men got killed. Every night the women came together and sang sad songs because they’d lost their husbands. It’s pretty sad but the vocals were so beautiful, I wanted to do something with it. Actually she’s singing something very romantic, that she goes to sleep every night and in her dreams she sees her husband walking back to her. I like drama. (laughs) I found it in like a library of different vocals (Spectrasonics "Vocal Planet").

SOURCE: http://www.musicmonthly.com/archives/archive.cgi?id=288

meznu
15th Apr 2006, 08:40
And here's my translation, with creative license taken. I tried to match the vocal melody. I used a little of both versions of the story for the last line. I like the "rise/sink" thing with the opening and closing verses.

Gura mise tha fo èislean / Sorrow fills my forsaken heart
Moch sa' mhadainn is mi 'g èirigh / Still – light as the dawn – I rise

(Can’t make out the chorus, but I imagine it’s “I would go with you”)

Gura mise tha fo èislean / Sorrow fills my forsaken heart
Ma 's na ròin do luchd-faire (?) / As I sink – in my dreams – with you*

*Hmm… Not sure about the Gaelic for the last line, but if it’s right, I don’t like the literal translation without the context of the rest of the original song, so I changed it. I like the first two lines, though. The song actually reminded me of something I’d forgotten. Some people say it’s sunset on the boxart for TRL, but I’ve always thought it was sunrise – like the dawn of a new era for Tomb Raider.

And this is to the tune of Tiesto's "A Tear in the Open":

My Dark Beloved

Sorrow fills my forsaken heart
Still – light as the dawn – I rise

I would go with you x2
I would be with you x2
I would drown in you x4

Sorrow fills my forsaken heart
As I sink - in my dreams - with you

I would go with you x2
I would be with you x2
I would drown in you x4

I know that technically the verse shouldn't change in Tiesto's version, but I worked hard on these verses so I wanna keep both. I'd love it if someone listened to the tracks along with these lyrics and gave feedback.

enoch
15th Apr 2006, 16:17
Stop talking to yourself, Meznu! :D

Acidian
16th Apr 2006, 10:12
Actually, that is interesting, need to go find tiestos song now then *starts rummaging through old cd's*

meznu
17th Apr 2006, 09:10
Thanks, Acidian. It's nice to know I wasn't *completely* talking to myself! :D

enoch
17th Apr 2006, 10:14
Thanks, Acidian. It's nice to know I wasn't *completely* talking to myself! :D

It was just - when I read the word Gaelic I rushed to the nearest bar and bought a pint of Guiness..and forgot what the thread was about...:confused: