PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 8 pretty much confirmed!!!!

gingerspice+tombobsessed
15th Apr 2006, 03:26
I don't have a scanner so I'm just gonna type the exact word from the source. I got this out of the official guide for Tomb Raider Legend, in the Extras chapter, last page - so if you don't believe me go check yourself.

THE LONG WAIT BEGINS
Having enjoyed this and other equally polished moments, our thought turn to what the future may hold for Lara. Over three years in development, Tomb Raider Legend marks a triumphant return for the world's most famous digital heroine. But what feats might Crystal Dynamics have in store for her next adventure? When might it be released? The question on everyone's lips must be that, given Tomb Raider Legend's cliffhanger ending, can we safely assume that another episodeis already being planned? "I would think there's a certain amount of safety to assume," is Morgan Gray's enigmatic response.

But can he give any clues as to what players can expect? "This is where Eidos gets mad at me!" laughs Gray. "The hint that I would give is that we would never do a cliffhanger ending if we didn't intend to resolve it..."

It could be a year before Lara returns; it could be three, or five. But having explored and enjoyed every square centimete of Tomb Raider Legend, some player might ruefully acknowledge- if only to themselves - that is already feels like an eternity...

So what do you think? Since I'm only on the boss fight in Kazakhstan, I have no idea what they mean by a cliffhanger ending so DON'T tell me in your responses please!

TR8 COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!! LOL (I haven't even finished Legend yet and I'm already thinking about that lol)!

3dmdesblood
15th Apr 2006, 03:55
It could be a year before Lara returns, it could be three, or five ...

Time, not important, only life important.:D

A cliffhanger ending, i'd rather say it started an great expectation to the Avalon: Place of Mystery and Fancy

CharlieTrace
15th Apr 2006, 04:59
Yeah, I absolutely can't wait for the next game. I don't know if any of the development team or decision makers for that game even read this, but if so, I do have one plea as an extremely long time fan of TR, and I guess it's been heard before by others:

Please, please increase the game length. If possible, it would be nice if you could turn off the auto-grab, as well. Finally, I was hoping that maybe there could be more monsters or mythical creatures as regular enemies. But really, other than those things, I absolutely LOVED Legend. It was incredible. And finally, you guys did right by all the fans who enjoyed the final boss fights of previous TR games, before Chronicles and Angel of Darkness through that aspect totally out the window.

I just wish the game had been much longer, so I hope it can be in the next one. As I said, I can't wait, and if this is being read by someone in charge, I hope it's at least considered.

Also, the way Lara's mansion is handled in this game is truly wonderful. It was much more fun than I expected or hoped for in that regard. I hope there are more things of that nature. Maybe even some scavenger hunts sprinkled in the actual levels in the next game that are optional and have to be solved by piecing together bizarre clues or myths written on the tomb walls? Something like that?

sheighton
15th Apr 2006, 05:39
...Finally, I was hoping that maybe there could be more monsters or mythical creatures as regular enemies...

I think that you got a bunch of great ideas and that the devs for the next game would be wise to at least address some of them, but I would just like to say (if the devs ever read this) that if more mythical/monster adversaries are added please make them as bosses only. I would hate to see Tomb Raider turned into a DOOM/Half Life/Resident Evil game (God I hated those, give me a person to shoot any day...Monster-infested area/base/city? Nuke it flat! That is my way of solving it)...

-Dizzy-
15th Apr 2006, 08:48
It could be a year before Lara returns; it could be three, or five. But having explored and enjoyed every square centimete of Tomb Raider Legend, some player might ruefully acknowledge- if only to themselves - that is already feels like an eternity..

Damn right it does :mad:

I think with the massive amount of advertising, and great sales it was always obvious but it is nice to see it come from a developer :)

Rion
15th Apr 2006, 08:53
That ending pretty much did scream sequal...:)

Giolon
15th Apr 2006, 09:10
I agree with Charlie, except for the part about the auto-grab. The auto-grab is fine and makes Lara feel like a smarter person. The ledge is right there, GRAB IT!

uzigirl
15th Apr 2006, 10:12
THat's excellent news. Thanks for sharing that GT. :thumbsup:

munchkin
15th Apr 2006, 10:41
I agree with Charlie, except for the part about the auto-grab. The auto-grab is fine and makes Lara feel like a smarter person. The ledge is right there, GRAB IT!

i agree, besides, anyone whos watched extreme climbers, knows that auto grab, is perfectly, normal, to these folk, and as Lara is obviously an extreme climber, then auto grab, is perfectly natural.

i to can;t wait for sequel(s) and to see if amanda is a stupid, or stuborn, as she apears, and decides to comit suicide, like her friends James rutland (asuming he is dead of course) by peeing off Lara. so excited at the end, i just can;t wait.

If there is one thing we knoe CD do well, its plot, and cliffhanger endings, look at the LOKain/Soul Reaver series. :D

beccaxx

mrcube
15th Apr 2006, 11:23
I hope they also have less human enemies and bring LOTS of animals back, like in the original TR, and maybe a view more tombs like the first TR had, HUGE open ones where you get no help from anyone.

Maybe there could be a bit where Lara is heading towards the entrance of a tomb, and shes running down a really dark passage, then suddenly she falls down a hole in the ground, but manages to grab a ledge on the side, but her headset falls down the hole and just fades out of site, and shes left with no help. BUT at the end of the level she reaches the bottom of the Tomb and her headset is lying on the ground.

Oh and some more alternatice routes, TRL was to much in one direction and alsways telling you where to go, have a tomb with like 10 doors and its up to you where you go.

And also can they bring back the old TR save system, maybe make a comprimise so that you have checkpoints, that are automatic, but when you save, it saves exactly where you are, so the idea is that if you forget to save you can go back to a checkpoint, but if you want to play like the old games then you can save whenever you want.

And improve Lara's face in next-gen graphics becauce she looks completley different and not in a good way.

But KEEP the amazing new way she moves around and STAY OFF the grid system!

But all that said, TR Legend is pretty damn good!

David 070
15th Apr 2006, 13:45
a year??! 3 or 5?!

noooo!!! this is tooooo long to wait!!!!!!!!:(

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 13:52
Make it longer and do away with the annoying hint boxes, please! I knew how to play well enough after the first level, but the hint boxes popped up through the whole game, even in hard mode!

I hope it's not 3 to 5 years for a sequel. They already have the game engine, a year or two should not be a problem.

I can't wait! :)

sheighton
15th Apr 2006, 15:33
Make it longer and do away with the annoying hint boxes, please! I knew how to play well enough after the first level, but the hint boxes popped up through the whole game, even in hard mode!

I hope it's not 3 to 5 years for a sequel. They already have the game engine, a year or two should not be a problem.

I can't wait! :)

You had hint boxes?!? What version were you playing? If you had the PC version then your binoculars in R.A.D. mode and ZIp, Alister, and Lara's talking were the only 'hints' you had...

Kiopo
15th Apr 2006, 15:44
Noooo, not lots of animals if they're anything like the ones in legend! They were annoying as hell, took so many bullets to kill haha

enoch
15th Apr 2006, 16:06

They don't have an engine for the ps3...

Treeble
15th Apr 2006, 16:12
They have the one for X360 which is as next generation as the PS3.

Twylaa
15th Apr 2006, 16:37
I think they should make auto-grab, hint boxes and the headset optional. As in, you can turn them off in the Options menu. They all come in useful in some points but get annoying after awhile. :rolleyes:

EvilNessCroft
15th Apr 2006, 17:03
Why not make a final fantasy advent children like movie! that would be so.... awesome! with the graphics of the box cover..:eek: :D and this --> http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/571/571840/vids_1.html

( look at Official TV Spot at the end :eek: ) ^^

Add_x101
15th Apr 2006, 17:16
gingerspice+tombobsessed

You should be a shamed of yourself, I mean needing a players guide for such a simple game...

:D

enoch
15th Apr 2006, 19:57
They have the one for X360 which is as next generation as the PS3.

Well..just because they have one for 360 doesn't mean it works for the ps3. Supposedly the ps3 is more powerful than the xbox 360, right?

Silver_Rain
15th Apr 2006, 20:04
You had hint boxes?!? What version were you playing? If you had the PC version then your binoculars in R.A.D. mode and ZIp, Alister, and Lara's talking were the only 'hints' you had...

I'm also playing it on the PC and although I'm playing in Hard Mode I constantly have little boxes popping up on the screen of the type "Press E to kick moveable objects", "press E to climb faster" and "push the right mouse button immediately followed by spacebar and the forward key to perform a swan dive". The last one actually came up when Lara got to the waterfall in Ghana, which is level 4. If you have found a way of turning these hints off, please let me know so I can do the same:)

Treeble
15th Apr 2006, 20:42
Well..just because they have one for 360 doesn't mean it works for the ps3. Supposedly the ps3 is more powerful than the xbox 360, right?

Both are currently 'next gen', and if anything they'll just tweak up the X360 engine for newer technologies, then port it to PS3. Or something. This is minor, really.

Allek
15th Apr 2006, 21:00

PC version has these blue pop-up windows that tell what keys to press and how to do certain moves. Well, I pretty much had it figured out after level 1. Not to mention that they were totally useless to me, because I use a joystick.

Oh, hi sheighton, didn't see your post. I'm hoping someone comes out with a mod to disable it or maybe in the next patch. I don't think there is any solution as of now. Unfortunatly, I haven't heard any mod talk in regards to Legend. :(

Richard_Croft
16th Apr 2006, 01:48
TBH the end of AOD was kinda left open for a sequal as well but they never made one.... Don't put ur hopes up too much guys... u MAY be disappointed! I really hope they DO make a sequel though... I have a thirst for much much more....also if the officials read this....PLEASE MAKE THE BIKINI COSTUMES AVAILABLE IN THE ACTUALLY STORY LEVELS OF THE GAME FOR TR8! :D

Shehi
16th Apr 2006, 09:39
After the news, I am just lost now... I hope TR8 won't be sth like Myst 4 or 5, story-wise that is. Hope it won't become another scifi stuff...

smlaci
16th Apr 2006, 09:47
man , enough with those bikini, outfits, unlockables, stuff that is for silly ass gamers. make the game harder and longer. i need intelligent puzzles and labyrinths and 100 ways to get lost in the tombs, not freaking bikini outfits and time trials and shining hints, popup boxes or any other punk ass features for the "cheeky girls" gamers. can't you see we are already talking about tr8 after a week-end of tr7. that is not right! it shouldn't be. huge dissapointment.

Acidian
16th Apr 2006, 10:28
I think they made the game as they should. I realy loved the boss fights, cant remember how many years its been since I played a game that had one, considering I dont play alot of adventure games anymore. Appart from the length though there isnt much Id like changed. The time trials and unlockables are there to keep the game fun when youve run through it. So they should keep that aspect, and the croft manor part was awsome. Great fun running around solving the puzzles there :) /Cheer for CD on this.

nevrotico
16th Apr 2006, 12:33
Good afternoon to every people.....I'm new in this forum,and my name is Federico"nevrotico".....sorry for my english but i'm Italian,i live in Sicily:D
Howewer,if i have got it right.....it's confirmed a tomb raider 8!!!is it right?:)

Richard_Croft
16th Apr 2006, 12:36
Welcome to the boards nevrotico! Happy posting! And yes it is true apparently. So hopefully the companies keep their promises to us.:)

nevrotico
16th Apr 2006, 13:06
But.... did the eidos confirm this?

-Dizzy-
16th Apr 2006, 13:20
But.... did the eidos confirm this?
No, publishers are always funny like that ;)

It is coming though, it will probably be announced closer to the release date of TR8.

nevrotico
16th Apr 2006, 13:27
No, publishers are always funny like that ;)

It is coming though, it will probably be announced closer to the release date of TR8.

I had not understand(i'm italian)...... the release date of tr8 will be announced in short time............????

i repeat....:) sorry for the english:o

enoch
16th Apr 2006, 13:43
Both are currently 'next gen', and if anything they'll just tweak up the X360 engine for newer technologies, then port it to PS3. Or something. This is minor, really.

Is it? With this game they haven't ported anything. Apparently they had different teams working on the different platforms. I think it will be two to three years before the next one comes out and by that time it will require some heavy updating or a new engine.

ToQaKoJoNEsS
16th Apr 2006, 13:57
Veo que los de EIDOS encienden los motores en sus filas y se disponen a trabar en la octavo capitulo de nuestra hero├*na m├ís calienta brage... deliciosa.

Felicidades por el equipo de programacion de EIDOS, con su Tomb Raiden: Legend ... les ha surguido un producto de gran calidad. Por una vez en sus respectivas vidas hacen algo, digamos que, -bien!

Eso es todo, saludos desde el otro lado del charco. :rolleyes:

mrcube
16th Apr 2006, 13:57
After the news, I am just lost now... I hope TR8 won't be sth like Myst 4 or 5, story-wise that is. Hope it won't become another scifi stuff...

Oh, I enjoyed myst 4, felt more like riven did, 5 was no where near as good. Riven was the best one! followed by Myst, then myst 4, then 3, then 5

(and sorry, no that off topic but you know)

David 070
16th Apr 2006, 15:14
nooo!! 2 to 3 years for the next tr to come out??!!

does anyone else think this is an eternity to wait!!?:(

enoch
16th Apr 2006, 15:59

Any game that takes less than two years to develop is usually crap or semi-crap, so yes - I hope it takes that long.

sheighton
16th Apr 2006, 16:19
I'm also playing it on the PC and although I'm playing in Hard Mode I constantly have little boxes popping up on the screen of the type "Press E to kick moveable objects", "press E to climb faster" and "push the right mouse button immediately followed by spacebar and the forward key to perform a swan dive". The last one actually came up when Lara got to the waterfall in Ghana, which is level 4. If you have found a way of turning these hints off, please let me know so I can do the same:)

Oh those...I thought you meant them continually popping up whenever you went to do anything...They only will pop up the first time you encounter the action, then that box does not pop up again. I just dealt with it...

Paul-uk
16th Apr 2006, 18:09
:eek: So that means that Lara will FLY! :eek:

Kiopo
16th Apr 2006, 18:16
Any game that takes less than two years to develop is usually crap or semi-crap, so yes - I hope it takes that long.

true but considering they'll have already made the development tools and game engine its not unthinkable

Prometeus
16th Apr 2006, 18:50
Veo que los de EIDOS encienden los motores en sus filas y se disponen a trabar en la octavo capitulo de nuestra hero├*na m├ís calienta brage... deliciosa.

Felicidades por el equipo de programacion de EIDOS, con su Tomb Raiden: Legend ... les ha surguido un producto de gran calidad. Por una vez en sus respectivas vidas hacen algo, digamos que, -bien!

Eso es todo, saludos desde el otro lado del charco. :rolleyes:

D├* que s├*, en espa├▒ol! con dos cojones! :D

-Dizzy-
16th Apr 2006, 20:52
I had not understand(i'm italian)...... the release date of tr8 will be announced in short time............????

i repeat....:) sorry for the english:o
Logic says that TR8 is coming...

But Eidos won't confirm it yet.

There is no proof, but all signs point to a TR8 game being made.

Sadly that's true. While not all games are crap, it does usually have an effect on quality. Some games turn out ok, but the series quickly loses its spark if they are released each year - e.g. Splinter Cell.

I think the only non sports game to be released each year and still be as exciting as it ever was is Ratchet & Clank.

tomb_raider_obssesed
16th Apr 2006, 22:10

Well we allready waited 3 years for Legend to come out so now we'll probably wait for another 3-4 years and if were lucky we'll get a half-our game :):D probably with the ET generation or something like this that works just on Video Cards that are something like 1.000.000$ ... so let the count down begin :rolleyes: :o :(

sup2069
16th Apr 2006, 23:32

The auto-grab is too easy. You no longer have to worry about missing a jump pretty much. Just jump, you got it...no challenge.

cirly_girly_1
9th Jan 2010, 00:17
hi.
happynew year,2all trl fans.
hi am asking u if trl8 as been made yet.
the reason my party disabled girl sara as just finished trl7, i would be very carefull if u could let me know.

thank you

mrcube
9th Jan 2010, 01:13
hi.
happynew year,2all trl fans.
hi am asking u if trl8 as been made yet.
the reason my party disabled girl sara as just finished trl7, i would be very carefull if u could let me know.

thank you

That's a somewhat impressive thread bump there! No one has posted in this topic for nearly four years... (Wow.. was it really that long ago that we were all sitting around discussing the sequel to Legend?). Infact, I dont think I've personally posted anywhere on these boards for about a year and a half.. funny to think I was still signed up to email updates on this thread huh? :rolleyes:

Anyways, in answer to your question, TR8 has indeed been made, it's titled Underworld and is available on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. You can buy it over on amazon US here (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tomb+raider+underworld&x=0&y=0) or amazon UK here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&tag=firefox-uk-21&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=tomb%20raider%20underworld&sourceid=Mozilla-search) .

Also, to avoid any other confusion you might have over the TR series, it breaks down as follows;

TR1 - Tomb Raider (& TR: Unfinished Business)
TR2 - Tomb Raider 2 (& TR: The Golden Mask)
TR3 - Tomb Raider 3 (& TR: The Lost Artifact)
TR4 - Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
TR5 - Tomb Raider: Chronicles
TR6 - Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
TR7 - Tomb Raider: Legend
TR8 - Tomb Raider: Underworld

There is also another games titled 'Tomb Raider: Anniversary' - this was a complete remake of the original game (TR1) using the same technology used in Legend. I hope this helps and you find the game you're after, or another one suitable! :)

cirly_girly_1
17th Jan 2010, 00:15
hi.
2u mrclube, am sara 12 years old my mom helping 2play tr games.
ur very kind 2 reply .
thanku
sara