PDA

View Full Version : Crashes and low-speed with Next generation graphics

Prometeus
14th Apr 2006, 23:12
Athlon 64 3500
Gigabyte K8NF-9

Videocard: XFX 6800 GS OC (from 450 to 511, and the memory 1.15 Ghz). Drivers 84.21. Overclock mode unlocked thanks to Coolbits 2.0 from 3d guru

Game version: 1.1

Currently, i have this problem when i run the game: When the next generation graphics are enable, the game's speed is low sometimes. But, if i switch on and off some video options, like AA at full screen and next generation graphics, a couple of times, sometimes i can get a good speed in the game with everything enabled. But the performance has been decreasing in the last missions. And now, i am at the russian lab at Kazajistan and i can't enable the next generation graphics here (at the beginning of the level) because the game crashes, although i can play perfectly if the Next Gen Graphics are disabled. I know that some levels could ask for more resources to the hardware, but this shouldn't happen because, for example, i can play TES IV: Oblivion with the best quality and the performance is good (i give this example because this game needs a very good hardware to be played with the best quality options)

ten76
18th Apr 2006, 20:01
I got the same problem with the Kazakhstan level. It crashes at the start of the level with next gen on. Nepal crashes too with next gen but not at the start. In the room where you rescue the two kazak soldiers I could enable next gen without crashing but when I tried to leave the building the game crashed. So guess something is wrong with the outdoor enviroment. Both kaza and nepal worked with 1.0 with next gen

With the other levels I dont have any problems at all with next gen and 1.1. Not even low speed.

I got a Athlon 4800+ and a Geforce 7800 GTX 512mb graphic card and 2gb ram. I use the 84.43 graphic driver.

CavemanK
18th Apr 2006, 20:18
EXACTLY the same for me!
At the start of Kazakhstan level, and during the level.(haven't tried it in the inside environment in the level yet, didn't bother)
And in the Nepal level, it chrashed when I was to proceed to the room with the shimming and the giant ice...things(lol) you hang onto, after sliding down all the slopes after the plane.

It must be something with the patch and next-gen mode, as it ran as smooth as butter on normal-mode, with no crashes or anything...

I play with an Nvidia 7800 gs @ 450/1350, an athlon 64 s939 3200+ and one gig of pc3200 RAM.

ten76
20th Apr 2006, 04:20
Yup that sounds like the same place where I crash in Nepal.

CavemanK
21st Apr 2006, 10:24
Try this : http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58879

In the third post!

It fixed it for me, I played through all of the Kazakhstan level last night, and it didn't crash once, on next-gen!

YAY!

DaWizeGuy
21st Apr 2006, 11:49
Turning off DEP doesn't work for me. The Kazakhstan levels crash unless NG is disabled.

System:

A64 X2 4400+
X1900XTX (Cat. 6.3 "Chuck")

noxdg
21st Apr 2006, 12:16
DaWizeGuy, have you tried Cat 6.4 drivers?

Leak
21st Apr 2006, 12:19
Turning off DEP doesn't work for me. The Kazakhstan levels crash unless NG is disabled.
I'm rather surprised you were able to start the game at all with DEP enabled by what I've read here; I've got it disabled all the time so I can't really try it.

System:

A64 X2 4400+
X1900XTX (Cat. 6.3 "Chuck")
Hey, that's my config (except for having Catalyst 6.4 installed) - I guess I'll try that when I get home. Is there any place in particular in Kazhakstan where the game crashes?

ten76
21st Apr 2006, 12:42
Disabling DEP worked for me. Have not tried the whole kaza lvl yet but at least it did not crash at the start.

Leak
21st Apr 2006, 17:23
Hey, that's my config (except for having Catalyst 6.4 installed) - I guess I'll try that when I get home. Is there any place in particular in Kazhakstan where the game crashes?
Just played all the way to the gold reward in Kazhakstan using next-gen without a single crash. Must be something on your side - the Catalyst maybe?

DucusSumus
21st Apr 2006, 18:10
Get the 84.43 drivers. They will help, but it's still going to be slow on a 6800 with Next-Gen turned on, I'm afraid.

DaWizeGuy
21st Apr 2006, 21:54
DaWizeGuy, have you tried Cat 6.4 drivers?

Not yet. I plan to skip them since they don't support HDR+AA in Oblivion and introduce various glithces. Do they include any specific Tomb Raider Legend fixes?

DaWizeGuy
21st Apr 2006, 22:01
Is there any place in particular in Kazhakstan where the game crashes?

The game crashes when restarting the Kazakhstan level from the beginning. I succesfully loaded the train chase scene, but the game crashes again right at the finish when the cutscene loads. I gave up after this experience until I learned about the "disable next gen" work-around.

DaWizeGuy
21st Apr 2006, 22:04
Just played all the way to the gold reward in Kazhakstan using next-gen without a single crash. Must be something on your side - the Catalyst maybe?

Perhaps so. Or perhaps v1.0 savegames are corrupted when patching to v1.1. Luckily I was able to advance to the England level after disabling "next-gen".

razr85
21st Apr 2006, 23:05
i had dep enabled all along, finished the entire game, no crashes. only the nextgen mode sucks-a$$ !!!! how could something be soo poorly optimized. was eidos just into selling more x360 copies?!