PDA

View Full Version : TRLegend. The True Story.

Dude®
14th Apr 2006, 09:48
TRLegend is no more:

- Puzzles, just one underwater we saw in so many screenshots and trailers. And all you have to do is press "four buttons"?
- Discovering feeling, no more big areas to reconnoitre, no more big jumps. Ok, maybe Lara is a bit more human who can not jump as before and stay underwater for long time, but what about our long sessions jumping here and there on big levels? Here there are only a list of short rooms. Too linear!
- Difficulty. The game is embarassing easy. It is short and easy. I finished it in 06.08 hours completed 87%. Shameful.
Do not you miss long running jumps ?
What about the auto-grab system?

What about Zip who tells you what do to? And shiny objects? Ridiculous.

Eidos is going to bring out games like this.
We will not have a new decent TR game.
The most important thing is that it has to be played by children who eat at McDonalds.
See the truth.

No interesting puzzles at all in a TR game. How can they?!
So apart the interesting but not original story, wonderful, outstanding animations and wonderful graphic, what do you have?

Would you play a car racing game with no tracks to run?
But you can change the colour of the car.
That is Useful! You can now dress Lara Croft!
Good point to conquer girls and children.

TR is going to sold anyway, so much, In England and just read, in Italy too.
This means next episode will be worse.

Straw Dog
14th Apr 2006, 10:00
anybody else getting bored of reading this sort of stuff? or is it just me?

yes, sigh, we know its short.. snore, puzzles are easy..zzzzzzzzz its all been said a trillion zillion times. Its your opinion, many people disagree.

Welcome to last week mate, it wants its argument back.

tr1xp
14th Apr 2006, 10:11
Just you.

any company that sells a 6 (+2 tiny ones that don't count) level game for full price deserves to get blasted.

Straw Dog
14th Apr 2006, 10:13
Just you.

Good stuff! I'd hate to think I was following a fashionable trend ;)

Straw Dog
14th Apr 2006, 10:14
any company that sells a 6 (+2 tiny ones that don't count) level game for full price deserves to get blasted.

btw dude, have a look here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58306

just re: your 'two tiny levels'

tr1xp
14th Apr 2006, 10:18
Nepal (I guess it was?) = 15 min.
Last Boss one = 5 min.

I don't count either one as a full level. Just a little cinematic crap. Only one level in the entire game took me over an hour. Most were about 40 minutes....TAKING MY TIME.

Straw Dog
14th Apr 2006, 10:30
well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate, 40 minutes for levels which are taking the average person an hour and a half to complete is definitely not 'taking your time' in my opinion.

I don't doubt you're very good at games so weren't challenged by TRL, I didn't find it particularly taxing either, but I spent about a couple of hours on each level, looking around, playing about, swinging all over the place, sneaking through atmospheric sections to heighten the tension and exploring every single dark nook and cranny I could get to and studying the environment for ways of reaching some that I couldn't. It comes down to how you play a game. And if you really did get through a level like Nepal in 15 minutes then that in no way can be classed as 'taking your time' either, that my friend, is 'rushing'

munchkin
14th Apr 2006, 10:31
anybody else getting bored of reading this sort of stuff? or is it just me?

yes, sigh, we know its short.. snore, puzzles are easy..zzzzzzzzz its all been said a trillion zillion times. Its your opinion, many people disagree.

Welcome to last week mate, it wants its argument back.

hi straw dog.

i agree with you. its tired, worse its over taking the boards, these folk, rather than keeping it to a few threads, are filling the pages everytime i logg in, with this rubbish. the for TRL people have kept it to a few threads, which are getting buried by this cr*p. So its looks like this view is the pervading view, because they are the loudest and most aggresive.

frankly if i were modding here i'd remove a ton of these repeat threads, which serve no real purpose but drive member away.

i though the eidos forums, i'd be able to discuss, share and generally enthuse about how great i though TRL was, instead, i find any thread, stared for such a purpose is hijacked by the nay sayers, who don;t need to cause they have, so frelling many of their own.

It takes the joy out of coming here.

beccaxx
of to play some more TRL, cause this place is goiong to the naysayers, and i can;t be arsed with the purile nonsense they spew.

Danny Darko
14th Apr 2006, 10:50
You can now dress Lara Croft!

It's alright for girls and children; they have a reason to spend hours and hours on a single game. The rest of us should have more important things to do.

I guess Legend worked for me. Probably because:

1. The overall prettiness of the game made me want to see all of it, which didn't require me to take a week off work.

2. I got the game on PC on the day of release for well under RRP.

3. I haven't been anticipating the release of this game for years, as the hardcore fans obviously have. I saw a screenshot of the new Lara model in Retro Gamer a few months ago; next thing I knew it was out. Lucky me.

4. Like the other TRs, Legend is open to abuse. Maybe this says a lot about my mentality, but there's a lot of entertainment to be had from deliberately missing the actions on the interactive cut scenes and swan diving onto concrete. Tomb Raider Legend: The many deaths of Lara Croft.

:D

carlitoo
14th Apr 2006, 12:02
frankly if i were modding here i'd remove a ton of these repeat threads, which serve no real purpose but drive member away.

Yes we must not have free speech must we!! Look, if people pay £30 for a game that they are disappointed with, they have a right to have a say. Should this site be purely for people who say it's the best game ever when it plainly isn't. It's a big improvement on AOD but nowhere near anything the first two games offered. If we didn't get constant criticism last time, i imagine TRL would be similar to AOD and I for one would never buy another TR game again if it were!

Dude®
14th Apr 2006, 12:07
Yes we must not have free speech must we!! Look, if people pay £30 for a game that they are disappointed with, they have a right to have a say. Should this site be purely for people who say it's the best game ever when it plainly isn't. It's a big improvement on AOD but nowhere near anything the first two games offered. If we didn't get constant criticism last time, i imagine TRL would be similar to AOD and I for one would never buy another TR game again if it were!

Well said.

Straw Dog
14th Apr 2006, 12:26
TRLegend is no more:

- Puzzles, just one underwater we saw in so many screenshots and trailers. And all you have to do is press "four buttons"?
- Discovering feeling, no more big areas to reconnoitre, no more big jumps. Ok, maybe Lara is a bit more human who can not jump as before and stay underwater for long time, but what about our long sessions jumping here and there on big levels? Here there are only a list of short rooms. Too linear!
- Difficulty. The game is embarassing easy. It is short and easy. I finished it in 06.08 hours completed 87%. Shameful.
Do not you miss long running jumps ?
What about the auto-grab system?

What about Zip who tells you what do to? And shiny objects? Ridiculous.

Eidos is going to bring out games like this.
The most important thing is that it has to be played by children who eat at McDonalds.
See the truth.

No interesting puzzles at all in a TR game. How can they?!
So apart the interesting but not original story, wonderful, outstanding animations and wonderful graphic, what do you have?

Would you play a car racing game with no tracks to run?
But you can change the colour of the car.
That is Useful! You can now dress Lara Croft!

TR is going to sold anyway, so much, In England and just read, in Italy too.
This means next episode will be worse.

Its more a case of saying the same old things over and over. Free speech is great and a right and fair play to you for exercising yours. I guess you view this forum as a place solely to air your views to Eidos. But in reality no-one from Eidos uses this forum, the people who use it are regular normal people who've read almost these identical words over and over again for the last couple of weeks.

Now, I don't neccesarily disagree with you mate. The game is short, the puzzles are easy. What I have issues with mainly is the one thing you have in common with everyone else who has spoken these words before you, a tendency to exageratte. Mainly caused by your overall feeling of disgruntlement.

You say theres only one puzzle in the game.. Not in the version I played there wasn't, there was a ton of them. they were pretty simple but there was definitely more than 'one' puzzle. And whats with the racing game comparison? is it supposed to imply that Legend has no levels but just a barbie doll lara for you to dress? because thats how it reads. If so I should lend you my copy, because my copy had 9 levels (some shorter than others) including Croft mansion, which I should add was an entire puzzle in itself.

And then theres statements like 'See the truth' and 'This means next episode will be worse' .. well, how the hell do you know? at least say something like 'In my opinion it could lead to a worse sequel' But to just state it like that as the word of god is asking for trouble.

Like I said, you have valid points, but the 'common man' users of this forum have read them all time and time again. You're not bringing anything new to the table and like most of the people saying these things you aren't giving us your opinion, you're TELLING us, 'this is the way it is'. Seriously dude, I think you should write to Crystal Dynamics, I reckon thats the best way you're going to get your message through.

-Dizzy-
14th Apr 2006, 13:12
It is quite different to the old games, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

ShadowOfOblivion
14th Apr 2006, 16:27
Just you.

If you hate Legend please do us all a favor and hate TR so much that you never come back on these boards. That'd be so great! :D

thoran6
14th Apr 2006, 17:14
i agree with everything dude said and more, i miss being walking to the edge and having to jump back and jumping over and over until you got just the right angle. i miss having alot of weapons to choose from and tons of ammo, even with all the ammo and 50 health packs i still got killed alot, damn T-rex.
the other TR's were roll's royces, legends is the pinto.

very well put, dude, i think we need to go and by TR 1 to see what a real game is like.

Kiopo
14th Apr 2006, 18:07
well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate, 40 minutes for levels which are taking the average person an hour and a half to complete is definitely not 'taking your time' in my opinion.

I don't doubt you're very good at games so weren't challenged by TRL, I didn't find it particularly taxing either, but I spent about a couple of hours on each level, looking around, playing about, swinging all over the place, sneaking through atmospheric sections to heighten the tension and exploring every single dark nook and cranny I could get to and studying the environment for ways of reaching some that I couldn't. It comes down to how you play a game. And if you really did get through a level like Nepal in 15 minutes then that in no way can be classed as 'taking your time' either, that my friend, is 'rushing'

You're missing the point, the game should make you take your time over all these things but its so simplistic that theres no point - you can literally just run, do a few acrobatics, pull a few things with a grapple and finish a level. Earlier TR games meant you HAD to examine the environments cus you were so damn stuck all the time! This just doesnt require it, and I personally dont have the time to waste standing around admiring the graphics. I definately didnt rush the game - 7 - 8 hours over two days at a pretty casual pace, picking up most of the secrets.

I like what they've done with it though, jus too short and simplistic!