PDA

View Full Version : Lara's movement improved?

fonzie
13th Apr 2006, 20:32
For starters, I got the PC version of the game (just got it yesterday) and excuse me if my English is not correct cause I'm dutch.
It looks like the game was designed for consoles only and in the end rapidly made for PC to.
Often the controles get me disorientated. It's OK for me you can freely move the camera with the mouse, but I really don't like that the viewpoint changes lara's movement. When I press forward it's logic to me that she always moves forward no matter where the camera is, the same for left, right and backwards. She even can't step backwards anymore, it's a pitty.
Maybe I'm getting to old for this s**t or are there other players who struggle with this to?
I totally agree with everybody here obout the stupid hints I don't want. It's like going to a labirynt with sighns "HERE IS THE WAY OUT =>" on every wall.
Nevertheless I still think it looks great and is wurth buying and I'm going to play it really slow so I can enjoy every pixel of the game ;) .
I'm gonna try to enjoy it like it was the last peace of chocolate on earth.
Does anyone know if there would be patches in the future for lara's movement?

Pendragon
13th Apr 2006, 20:48
Your english is just fine, better than mine and I am english :D .

It looks like the game was designed for consoles only and in the end rapidly made for PC to.

I agree 100% with that, most of the complaints on the forum seem to be from people running it on a PC there are very few from X Box users.

Often the controles get me disorientated. It's OK for me you can freely move the camera with the mouse, but I really don't like that the viewpoint changes lara's movement. When I press forward it's logic to me that she always moves forward no matter where the camera is, the same for left, right and backwards. She even can't step backwards anymore, it's a pitty.

I have been playing the game since last Saturday and this is the most frustrating part of the game. I have tried using both a Gravis Xterminator gamepad and the mouse and keyboard (not together ;) ) and just as I get used to the controls I enter a shooting match and she locks on to a bad guy and runs all over the place. it seems as soon as she locks on she changes to the old style Up=Forward, Left=run left, down= run backwards etc. Most confusing.

Maybe I'm getting to old for this s**t

Only if your over 60 like me :D .

I'm stuck at the end of the level and just can't get past the 'Boss', I really hate end of level bosses they spoil the game for me. Still i will beat the guy one day.

Good luck.

fonzie
13th Apr 2006, 22:13
Well, your just as old as you feel, I sometimes feel like I'm 70 again :D .
No I'm 31 but I must say that my dad (56) likes to play games to, but I don't think Tomb raider is his kind of game (more Age of Empires and FPS).

daniusmiliunas@yahoo.co.u
13th Apr 2006, 22:54
One thing i hate is.......

(S) bacwards key: She doesnt jump backwards as she did on all games before. instead she turns around. like omfg Wtf why? why cant she jump backwards? thats the most retarded thing on this game.

And Camera doesnt folow u. u make turn camera wont. even if u make that retarded (S) move and turn 180 around camera wont turn with u.

2 things that are retarded.

critter0107
14th Apr 2006, 03:02
The movement is confusing. I mean I actually like both types, guns drawn and guns not drawn but there should at least be an option to have her move the same way all the time.

Not being able to walk in the pc version is utterly foolish. I've played other ports, like GTA Vice City, that behave exactly the same way. Walking is ony available via a gamepad's analog stick. I played a game called Stolen that had an ingenious solution to the problem. The mouse wheel would scroll through the different speeds. For example if you were sneaking and you rolled the wheel forward one click the creep would advance to a walk, etc. I thought that was a good idea rather than having one button for sneaking and one for walking and deciding whether they'd be toggled on and off or just held down.

critter0107
14th Apr 2006, 03:03
.....oh one more thing. Why can't she keep her guns drawn while crouching?????

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Apr 2006, 10:00
I have been playing the game since last Saturday and this is the most frustrating part of the game. I have tried using both a Gravis Xterminator gamepad and the mouse and keyboard (not together ;) ) and just as I get used to the controls I enter a shooting match and she locks on to a bad guy and runs all over the place. it seems as soon as she locks on she changes to the old style Up=Forward, Left=run left, down= run backwards etc. Most confusing.

Welcome, Pendragon. Nice nickname. ;)

It seems to be true that the PC version is more confusing for us PC gamers than the console version is for console players. I think wasd should mean what it always has, not relative to the camera. Galleon had it right. ;)

My Husband is using a Saitek P3000 wireless joypad with his PC. It's not perfect, but he's managing. :D Her responses seem more picky than other games with the joypad, sometimes she is two responsive, sometimes not enough. Typical Lara I'd say. ;) :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Apr 2006, 10:02
The movement is confusing. I mean I actually like both types, guns drawn and guns not drawn but there should at least be an option to have her move the same way all the time.

Not being able to walk in the pc version is utterly foolish. I've played other ports, like GTA Vice City, that behave exactly the same way. Walking is ony available via a gamepad's analog stick. I played a game called Stolen that had an ingenious solution to the problem. The mouse wheel would scroll through the different speeds. For example if you were sneaking and you rolled the wheel forward one click the creep would advance to a walk, etc. I thought that was a good idea rather than having one button for sneaking and one for walking and deciding whether they'd be toggled on and off or just held down.

Welcome critter0107, you actually got to play Stolen? :eek: I found it unplayable. :rolleyes: :p :D

I also want the crouch shoot option back. ;)

baxter
14th Apr 2006, 10:57
Not being able to walk in the pc version is utterly foolish..

i agree that the movement system for PC is a bit screwed up, but you can definately walk on it. ever tried the shift key?

RebeL_fARmeR
14th Apr 2006, 11:30
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Tr1 had good controlls, as did TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5... Then they "revolutionised" the controls in TR6 with tragic consequences. Legend controls are better but I have to agree with the hatred of the camera position affecting Lara's movements. If you ask me, left meaning left and right meaning right works just nicely, DUDE! How sensible is THAT?! Apart from that, the controls are quite nice...
The only problem I really have is, seeing how I'm using my mouse, I have to map 14 keyboard keys for 1 hand in a logical and convenient manner...

Help!

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Apr 2006, 11:52
...I have to agree with the hatred of the camera position affecting Lara's movements. If you ask me, left meaning left and right meaning right works just nicely, DUDE! ...Apart from that, the controls are quite nice...

:thumbsup: WASD. REAL WASD. W is always Forward. S means back up. Perfect! :D

critter0107
14th Apr 2006, 13:20
Welcome critter0107, you actually got to play Stolen? :eek: I found it unplayable. :rolleyes: :p :D

I also want the crouch shoot option back. ;)

Hey,

Yes, I had no real problems with Stolen. I LOVE that game. It's too bad it was never polished up and patched. It doesn't work well on so many computers that I think a real gem got passed by.

Vampmaster
14th Apr 2006, 13:52
:thumbsup: WASD. REAL WASD. W is always Forward. S means back up. Perfect! :D

Konami solved the dissagreements about the controls type in Silent Hill 2. I think it was just the directors cut version, but they added an option to switch between 2D and 3D controls at any point in the game. Perhaps this Eidos/CD could add that function to the next game or in a patch. I think that would settle a lot of arguements.

Pendragon
14th Apr 2006, 16:05
Thanks for the welcome Catsuit&Ponytail :cool: .

I don't visit the forum often just about once a day that’s all, mainly to check for updates etc.

I originally bought TR1 and a brand new Play Station for my children to play it on :) , purely on the demo from a CD. Fell in love with the game myself and have bought every copy for the PC since.

It seems most people using a PC agree the old TR1/2/3 style of controls worked just fine (for a PC user), and could be remapped to just about any keyboard – mouse – gamepad combination you were using. Then someone wiser then us decided to ‘upgrade’ the movement system and messed the whole thing up. Yes it works fine with two analogue ‘sticks’ but it’s hell with anything else.

I often wonder just what the ‘play-testers’ actually test the game on, they never say.

What do I miss most so far;
The ‘Walk’ (really walk, not the fast walk with the analogue stick) button.
The way you could see who you were shooting at and not just get a view of Lara’s head and the silly red marker (try finding the marker when your colour blind like me).
The ability to walk up to an edge and not fall off (again because of colour blindness I cannot always see the edges).
The way you could draw her guns and walk into a dangerous situation and she would track the target.
The wide open spaces with just the ambient sounds (where are they in Legend) where you could walk, run and jump just about anywhere and kill her a thousand different ways.

What do I like;
Lara, the best looking one so far (but I think her hair looks better in the older versions, the pony tail swings better and catches the wind better), the dress was a bit overdone but probably appeals to the younger members the game is aimed at.
The climb up the outside of the building in Peru. That was good, now if that was also in a tomb with the ambient hollow sounds etc even better.

I’ll keep it at that as this post is getting a bit long.

BTW I’m still trying to beat the ‘Boss’ at the end of Peru and I’m only playing on ‘medium’, Doh!

phixgrrrl
7th Jun 2006, 07:43
Yeah, I hate the movement controls. I was afraid they'd change it for this game. In previous reviews of other TR games, it would say how the controls sucked...but I liked them, as I guess everyone on this thread does too. And yes, at least SH gave you an option! Forward should still be forward, side should be...duh...side, and back should be (this is a tough one)...back! God why did they have to change it? I 've ditched games entirely b/c of crappy controls. Thanks Eidos.
We should all get a petition to make them change the controls in a patch.