PDA

View Full Version : Is it really THAT short?

TR Fan21
12th Apr 2006, 23:41
I'm debating on whether or not to get the game now or what til the prices drop. I decided to get the xbox edition, since on my PC I would have to get a gamepad, but from what I heard, the game is pretty short...or does it depend on how long you play?

Please advise...thanks :o

the_sas_man
12th Apr 2006, 23:46
Get PC version if you have a PS2 controller...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts7&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

You can buy the game much cheaper that way and not feel so hard done by when it ends in 7 hours! I'll be honest its one of the shortest games I have EVER played in my life! However, it is pretty dam polished and great to see Lara Crfot back.

Personally I'd still recommend you to buy it.

munchkin
12th Apr 2006, 23:48
well there seem to be two camps devleoping, one which rants on about it being too short, and so on, the other where it is alittle short but is such a greta game with tonns of replay value, that it is well worth the money. i paid £29.99 and woudl cheerfully have paid alot more, for this brilliant, work of genius :)

if you really don;t know, then try renting it, and seieng what your impressions are.

Personally i say it is well worth it, but rather than pay attention to what others, or myself say, try it yourslef, and form your own impressions, without contributuions form others. push comes to shove you can always exchange it.

beccaxx

movieman
12th Apr 2006, 23:50
i paid £29.99 and woudl cheerfully have paid alot more, for this brilliant, work of genius

I'd have been upset if I'd paid 29.99, but it was worth the 17.99 I did pay.

As for how long, it mostly depends on whether you rush through as fast as possible, or stop to look at the scenery. Think I'm at 93% after about fifteen hours.

the_sas_man
12th Apr 2006, 23:53
the problem with the replay value is that its not exactly much is it? It wont take that long to get everything. I'm expecting almost 100 hours of play out of Oblivion (30 hours in). That game is huge and grpahically awesome.

Now of course it took them 4 years to make Oblivion, but still it goes to show what is possible. NO game should EVER be 7 hours short (how long TRL took me), so while I enjoy TRL a lot, and it is great to see Lara back with some real class, it left me with a bitter pill to swallow. Make it 30 hours and I'd give it probabaly top 3 games of the year.

As it stands though it wont even get in my top ten. Real shame that.

Allek
12th Apr 2006, 23:53
My first game time was near 9 hours (normal difficulty), but my actual play time was more like 20 hours. In other words, when you die, you are placed back at the last checkpoint. The clock resets to the time when you first accessed that checkpoint. Basically, everyone who is claiming to have beat the game in 5 hours is probably exagerating and only posting the games recorded time.

I agree that the game is too short, but it still a very enjoyable game and it is replayable. I'm going to play again in hard mode, because I thought the game was alot of fun. Short, but sweet!

Yeah, Oblivion is freakin' huge! It's now my favorite game of all time... ooops, sorry Lara.:o Legend provided me with a satisfying break though. Kinda like going on short vacation:) .

the_sas_man
12th Apr 2006, 23:56
the biggest killer for me was the camera! Killing that Snake boss was awful trying to move the camera.

Fair point about the ecorded play time. If thats the case I probs did it in 3 hours.

But then I'd be disappointed in 20 hours to be honest!

movieman
13th Apr 2006, 00:05
I'm expecting almost 100 hours of play out of Oblivion (30 hours in).

But if it's anything like Morrowind, 95 hours of that will be running from one place to another, and 3 hours will be crawling through repetitive dungeons.

Legend could have been 100 hours long if they'd made you run for twelve hours through randomly generated countryside between each level.

the_sas_man
13th Apr 2006, 00:10
luckily its not like Morrowmind!

I spend no time at all travelling with the quick travel option. 30 hours in, I've joined 5 guilds, dones LOADS of quests, got my character to level 11, bought a house, closed just one Oblivion gate, bought a good horse and became Gladiator champion!!! And thats by only doing just 2 quests from the main story line!

I still have to become guild champion in all of them. The quests are varied and the sound and graphics are awesome. There is very little waiting time too. So for 25 quid I have already spent less than 1 pound per hour!!!

There is NO excuses for games being short as TRL! There really is none at all. You only have to read the reviews to see the same comments being made.

P.S read a review of Oblivion to see how big and varied games can be. Very little repition in there, not linear at all.

TR Fan21
13th Apr 2006, 00:31
Thanks to all....most likely I'll pick up a copy this weekend. I usually play the sims2, which is never-ending, but if I remember correctly, TR3 wasn't all that short, and I put in mega-game playing time on that, so if TRL is anything similiar to TR3 (time-wise) then no worries from me. :)

Smurfette
13th Apr 2006, 00:59
I hava waited years for anything to equal tr4.....bought tr angel of darkness in a shot and was deeply disappointed...does trl have better longevity than traod?
Does it have the same kind of`suck u in and not let u see real life`for months on end as tr4?
Cant be arsed to pay £30 for it at mo,gonna wait til it goes down to £20 or so unless someone tells me otherwise...

markmi123
13th Apr 2006, 01:06
Ok I've been playin the game for like 3 hours and still only at 1%....everyone else must be rushing through the game...and there's not enough health packs either...makes it difficult. Of course I'm not the one to talk..I still haven't beaten TR4, 5 and 6....been working on them for years lol.

tr1xp
13th Apr 2006, 01:18
...TR3 wasn't all that short, and I put in mega-game playing time on that, so if TRL is anything similiar to TR3 (time-wise) then no worries from me. :)

TRL in it's entirety of 6 smallish levels (30-50 minutes to complete) + two 5 minute, 1 room mini-levels, is about the same play time as the first 2 levels of TR3. Yes, it is THAT short. It took me 6 hours (1 PM install, 7 PM credits rolling. About 1 hour dinner break included in those 6 hours) to complete TRL, taking my sweet time, exploring all I could find to explore and finding most of the secrets. I DID NOT rush it, at all, and even back tracked around and played with the controls a lot just killing time. This does not include another hour later to explore the mansion or running any time trials.

The 3 or 4 puzzles that are in the game are brain dead easy. You can't screw up and fall unless you deliberately jump to your death because the controls are auto-grab, auto-aim, auto-pilot mode. there is no getting lost or need to backtrack, you simply go straight down the hall, move the shiny object, end level.

markmi123
13th Apr 2006, 01:59
compared to any other TR game these level's are much bigger in size, maybe not timewise though. So then 6 huge regular levels is more like 10 or so regular levels...which makes it just a little shorter than TR5

sup2069
13th Apr 2006, 02:41
Get PC version if you have a PS2 controller...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts7&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

You can buy the game much cheaper that way and not feel so hard done by when it ends in 7 hours! I'll be honest its one of the shortest games I have EVER played in my life! However, it is pretty dam polished and great to see Lara Crfot back.

Personally I'd still recommend you to buy it.

Does it support the pressure sensitivity like the PS2 can? Meaning I can bearly old the X button down and go slow. I would love to use that on my PC version of San Andreas.

On topic, as far as too short, im am 7:23 hours into the game at 58%. Not too short in my opinion.

Straw Dog
13th Apr 2006, 07:34
TRL in it's entirety of 6 smallish levels (30-50 minutes to complete) + two 5 minute, 1 room mini-levels, is about the same play time as the first 2 levels of TR3. Yes, it is THAT short. It took me 6 hours (1 PM install, 7 PM credits rolling. About 1 hour dinner break included in those 6 hours) to complete TRL, taking my sweet time, exploring all I could find to explore and finding most of the secrets. I DID NOT rush it, at all, and even back tracked around and played with the controls a lot just killing time. This does not include another hour later to explore the mansion or running any time trials.

The 3 or 4 puzzles that are in the game are brain dead easy. You can't screw up and fall unless you deliberately jump to your death because the controls are auto-grab, auto-aim, auto-pilot mode. there is no getting lost or need to backtrack, you simply go straight down the hall, move the shiny object, end level.

I do agree with your point about the puzzles, they are extremely easy though there are far more than 3 or 4 throughout the entire game. Also you said there are two one room mini levels? well as far as I can remember the eighth level is purely a boss arena and is indeed, one platform type location, but before it is Nepal, the seventh level (as you've already said there are six levels plus 2 mini 1 room levels I assume Nepal is one of your 1 room mini levels) Now....

... I don't know if I have a different version of the game to you but in my version of TRL, Nepal featured a sprawling climb across some icy ledges and icicles of a mountain through some caves and back out to the other side of the mountain, followed by a bit of killing and an interactive cutscene in the plane, followed by a slightly above average difficulty (by TRL's standard) jumping, sliding section taking you into some more icy caves then lots more fighting at the end of that, then another platforming section across some water and then against the current upstream. Then you find and enter a HUGGGGE cavern with, indeed, a very easy puzzle at the bottom of it, then a cutscene followed by a timed dash back across that cavern

Now to me mate, that is pretty far from a '1 room mini level'. Yeah, it was slightly shorter in duration than the 6 previous levels, but it is in no way, shape or form what you're making it out to be. In fact if I had to guess the real world distance of that level I would estimate you travel about 2.5 miles from the beginning to the end, outside and inside.

And thats not even counting Croft manor as a ninth level, which it has every right to be considering its size and content.

So if you're exagerrating just a teensy weensy bit about that, it begs the question.......

the_sas_man
13th Apr 2006, 11:04
Does it support the pressure sensitivity like the PS2 can? Meaning I can bearly old the X button down and go slow. I would love to use that on my PC version of San Andreas.

On topic, as far as too short, im am 7:23 hours into the game at 58%. Not too short in my opinion.

Yep, the pad will work EXACTLY the same as it would on a PS2. It really is worth getting if you have a PS2 pad and windows XP - can't go wrong for 7 quid

-Dizzy-
13th Apr 2006, 11:24
I do agree with your point about the puzzles, they are extremely easy though there are far more than 3 or 4 throughout the entire game. Also you said there are two one room mini levels? well as far as I can remember the eighth level is purely a boss arena and is indeed, one platform type location, but before it is Nepal, the seventh level (as you've already said there are six levels plus 2 mini 1 room levels I assume Nepal is one of your 1 room mini levels) Now....

... I don't know if I have a different version of the game to you but in my version of TRL, Nepal featured a sprawling climb across some icy ledges and icicles of a mountain through some caves and back out to the other side of the mountain, followed by a bit of killing and an interactive cutscene in the plane, followed by a slightly above average difficulty (by TRL's standard) jumping, sliding section taking you into some more icy caves then lots more fighting at the end of that, then another platforming section across some water and then against the current upstream. Then you find and enter a HUGGGGE cavern with, indeed, a very easy puzzle at the bottom of it, then a cutscene followed by a timed dash back across that cavern

Now to me mate, that is pretty far from a '1 room mini level'. Yeah, it was slightly shorter in duration than the 6 previous levels, but it is in no way, shape or form what you're making it out to be. In fact if I had to guess the real world distance of that level I would estimate you travel about 2.5 miles from the beginning to the end, outside and inside.

And thats not even counting Croft manor as a ninth level, which it has every right to be considering its size and content.

So if you're exagerrating just a teensy weensy bit about that, it begs the question.......

I was confused by that comment as well, and yes the mansion was large enough to be considered a level. In fact I'd say the mansion is one of the best parts for trying to figure out how to get all of the medals.

Straw Dog
13th Apr 2006, 11:51
Yeah, I mean for all TRL's faults I'm just having a hard time believing some of the crap I'm reading.

Completing Nepal in 5 minutes is not only most definitely NOT 'taking your sweet assed time' but also not physically possible. If someone can show me a pic of their end stats screen of Nepal with their time being five minutes or less, I shall concede that they had a) read and memorised a strategy guide beforehand and b) tore through that level at a constant run without stopping to shoot anything, collect any secrets, admire the damn cool graphics or actually even enjoy playing at all.

Mangar The Dark
13th Apr 2006, 12:53
I asked this in another thread, but nobody answered, so I'll try again-- Which takes longer to fully explore: TRL or The Lost Artifact? I'm curious because The Lost Artifact only had a few levels, but I STILL haven't found all of the hidden areas.

Nemnah
13th Apr 2006, 14:23
Game isnt short for me i'm at 12 hours played and half way through. I aint in a rush to finish it like so many.

Acceber
13th Apr 2006, 14:37
I paid £32.99 for my xbox version and so, with 16 hours clocked so far the game has cost me £2 an hour. I am not even 40% through it.

It is wonderful and if I was you I would definitely buy it. But then I am a buyer and a keeper. I never trade in and I never rent. ;)

mrcube
13th Apr 2006, 14:41
I don't think its to short, I play most days, for about 2 hours, die a few times, then get stuck and get annoyed, so I stop playing. Then I come back the next day and repeat the whole process. I play it on Tomb Raider (Hard) and don't read any guides or help bits. I think everyone is rushing through it and I'm certainly not. I'm enjoying myself and taking it slow. Then when I'm done, i'll go through it again and do all the timetrails quckly, get the best of both worlds then!

And buy it on the PC, far better. I got a PC and a PS2, I had the PS2 demo and then the PC demo, and by far preferred the PC demo!

I payed 29.99 for it at 9:12am on friday the 17 of april, And I was and still am happy with it!:)

Acceber
13th Apr 2006, 14:44
Then when I'm done, i'll go through it again and do all the timetrails quckly, get the best of both worlds then!

Oh, me too, it is such fun doing the time trial. Quite challenging too, especially the second level. I can't wait to try again and beat my previous score. Sometimes when you are in a hurry those ropes just seem impossible to grab on to. :D :mad:

AerynPK
13th Apr 2006, 16:02
i have only just completed the game today but not fully. i have completed 88% of the game. I must admit that this game is the shortest TR game i have ever played. I did really enjoy it. Also for completing Nepal in 5 minutes is impossible. it took me at least 2 hours.

Straw Dog
13th Apr 2006, 16:09
Also for completing Nepal in 5 minutes is impossible. it took me at least 2 hours.

Indeed. It seems our friendly neighbourhood morale officer tr1xp has been remarkably quiet on the subject of his incredible five minute sprint through Nepal.

Add_x101
13th Apr 2006, 16:24
I found the game to be to short and so so simple. To complete a TR game in 6hours and 32minutes is just wrong. I mean the last boss tuck me all of 8minutes...

In the end eidos is going to loss out, cos those who completed it in a day or two are going to trade in and we all know eidos wont be getting any takings on a second hand game...

Still it was money well spent…

:cool:

EvilNessCroft
13th Apr 2006, 18:47
It is short... But it is a very good game 2! ^^

It's better to play a short but good game than a long and crapy game...

Mangar The Dark
13th Apr 2006, 18:54
Have any of you played Galleon? There are only a few levels (5 or 6) on that, and yet it still feels quite large to me (maybe because I suck at games. ;) ) So if you have played Galleon and TRL, which is bigger?

Kiopo
14th Apr 2006, 18:01
Okay, i've played all the TR games and i must say this was very short and ended quite abruptly i thought - the game skipped through locations very fast which was exhilarating but a bit confusing.
The game itself is good though, better controls (though too simplistic, the game does most of the hard stuff for you..), great animations and fab graphics - just for me half the reason i loved the TR series was that it could keep you absorbed for weeks, with this game i jus feel that it was really cool and all but i want to go back and play more (there isnt much replay value once you've gone through it, and i played it at a pretty normal pace - 7 hours over 2 days, playing quite casually)!
I think they've really brought the series back on track but they do need to pay more attention to the complexity and length in any future instalments to keep me happy :D (or release the editing tools :P)

Basically, this is more for your casual gamer than current tr fans (wont leave you with the same lasting memories of earlier games).. but its fun all the same :thumbsup: