PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Vs PC Graphics

Nnahrino
12th Apr 2006, 20:18
Hi,

I've recently downloaded the PC Demo for Tomb Raider Legends. I like the game and am going to buy a copy. However im not sure which format i should purchase it on (PC or PS2).

My PC is reasonably good (2.4GHz / Radeon 9700Pro / 1GB Mem) and i can run the Demo with all features enabled (except Anti-Aliasing) smoothly.

However, i would rather purchase it for the Playstation 2 as i prefer using a joypad and would rather play it on a big screen. The only problem with the PS2 is the inferior graphics.

My question is to anyone who has played both copies (And the PC version at high detail), is there a significant difference in the graphics or is the PS2 not that bad?

Any pictures/screenshots comparing the 2 at the same point in the game would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nnahrino

Fribble
12th Apr 2006, 20:22
I'd go with PC for sure, PS2 is going to take an ungodly amount of loading time (based on my guessing) It seems to load so slow on every game I've ever played, I was debating on weather to get it on 360 or PC myself, but I've decided PC... Sounds like your pc will handle it just fine.

Straw Dog
12th Apr 2006, 20:25
I have to say, I think its the best looking game the PS2 has ever produced and I've played alot of PS2 games. It is quite amazing what they've managed to do with the PS2 hardware. That said, PC will always be better due to resolution, the graphics are identical in terms of detail and polygon count... unless your PC is powerful enough to enable the next gen option, and you really will need one mother****** of a ninja system for that.

I was absolutely gobsmacked at the PS2 version. The best looking game before it was probably God of War, and it surpasses that by a mile. and if you have a widescreen telly you'll be in graphics heaven, at least while it lasts, which ain't long.

Straw Dog
12th Apr 2006, 20:26
I'd go with PC for sure, PS2 is going to take an ungodly amount of loading time (based on my guessing)

Nah, the longest load screen on PS2 was about 10-15 seconds

Allek
12th Apr 2006, 20:29
PC most definetly. You can handle it! I have similar specs and runs great. :cool:

Nnahrino
12th Apr 2006, 23:13
Hi, Thanks to all those that responded.

As i said in my original post my preference was the PS2 but i just had a couple of concerns. I've decided to go with the PS2 Version. From what Straw Dog said the loading times should be acceptable and the Graphics not too bad and i'll be able to play using a Joypad and on a nice TV whilst sitting on a sofa :)

Richard_Croft
12th Apr 2006, 23:20
You could....buy it for PC and then program a PS2 controller to work on your PC for the game....however don't ask me how to do it! I just heard from people it's possible! :D

Also, your graphics card is quite good and ur processor is good too, I'm sure it will be much better for you on the PC but as I have the PS2 version of TRL myself I can say I don't really have any graphical complaints about it, just maybe YOUR PC might have a little edge on it compared to my outdated pile of trash I call a laptop! :D

the_sas_man
12th Apr 2006, 23:34
I would definately buy the PC version. What's even more is that you have a PS2 so have a PS2 pad! I actually registered just to post this fopr you!

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts7&page=title&r=PC&title=114167

Here is what I use. 7 quid for a little USB convertor which you can plug your controller into.

You can buy the game for 25 quid, the convertor is 7 quid and thats STILL cheaper than buying the PS2 version!

Straw Dog
13th Apr 2006, 00:08

As i said in my original post my preference was the PS2 but i just had a couple of concerns. I've decided to go with the PS2 Version. From what Straw Dog said the loading times should be acceptable and the Graphics not too bad and i'll be able to play using a Joypad and on a nice TV whilst sitting on a sofa :)

WOO HOO, I WIN. In your face, PC people ;)

In all seriousness though, the graphics are far far better than not too bad on PS2, they are exceptional, but a TV can't match the crisp resolutions of a PC monitor so there is some aliasing, but even this is far less than alot of PS2 games. Anywho enjoy!

Resy
13th Apr 2006, 05:50
I was in the same boat... awsome looking PC version yet not the comfort and big screen I want heh... I'm getting the PS2 version and I can handle the 10 second load times.

-Dizzy-
13th Apr 2006, 06:48
I've seen the X360 version, which I hear is the same as the PC verson with "next gen" enabled.

In some parts the X360 version looks much better. But in others I think I prefer the PS2/Xbox versions. The X360 game looks far too shiny at some points, and when you enter a temple and it looks like it was made from metal or glass, it sort of ruins the feeling of being in a temple.

Lara looks sort of different in next gen, her eyebrows are thinner/lighter and so are her eyes...makes her look more like the old Lara.

MercuryRapids
13th Apr 2006, 14:25
Here's the difference between the normal graphics and the next-gen graphics:

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/3791/trlegendgame23640x48015aj.jpg
normal

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/7601/trlegendgame23nextgen640x48010.jpg
next-gen

My PC has 1.25GB RAM, Athlon XP 2500+ CPU and a 128MB Nvidia Geforce 6600GT graphics card and it runs the game brilliantly in the normal mode. The next-gen mode is playable, but the framerate really drops.

Add_x101
13th Apr 2006, 16:11
PS2 version is Top Drew, hell who would have known a slug like that still had some juice...

hotrippr
14th Apr 2006, 02:26

FYI: My TV and surround system is hooked up to my PC and I play on the couch all the time with my rumblepad, and with 5.1 surround sound and amazing graphics, and load times and mods and updates and...etc, etc.

Nnahrino
14th Apr 2006, 13:38
FYI: My TV and surround system is hooked up to my PC and I play on the couch all the time with my rumblepad, and with 5.1 surround sound and amazing graphics, and load times and mods and updates and...etc, etc.
Sounds like you have a nice set-up, I'm not surprised you went for the PC version, however i dont have the ability to use TV out for my PC.

Also would like to say thanks to the_sas_man, That looks like a handy thing to have, i might get one of those soon.

Resy
14th Apr 2006, 16:24
yeah if my computer was hooked up to a big screen tv with surround sound I'd have gotten the PC version also.

Instead I have the PS2 version which I played on my HDTV on my desk that I also use as a monitor. For some reason Lara did not appear as crisp and clear as her PC version on the same screen. Maybe I was sitting to close lol... It all still looked and sounded great though.

AlexDenton
14th Apr 2006, 16:40
The PC version could beat the PS2's horrible graphics any time. I mean, the PS2 has really good graphics, but when comparing it to a PC or an Xbox 360, it's no competition. Try comparing Need for Speed: Most Wanted... PS2 vs. PC; PS2 version is blah.

I don't recommend buying anymore PS2 games if you're really looking for the good graphics; the PC can top anything the PS2 can do. I would, instead, get an Xbox 360 because the 360 is a super-power PC at a really low price (well, low for the parts it has in it).