PDA

View Full Version : You can't argue with results...

Danny Darko
11th Apr 2006, 17:25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4899382.stm

Thin on levels it may be, but it's a hit.

As for AoD being "virtually unplayable" I wouldn't quite go that far. The controls were fine once you got used to them (i.e. forgot what you'd habitually do in the older TR games). Just my two cents.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

L Croft
11th Apr 2006, 17:45
Good stuff :thumbsup:
As for AoD it depends on the platform, I'm sure some versions were fine but my PC version was unplayable, load times of over a minute every time I died, just crazy.

susan
11th Apr 2006, 17:55
Lmao, if that isn't directly taken from a press release distributed by Eidos's PR agency, then I never worked in PR ... and I have. It's one almighty plug for Legend disguised as "news".

I mean, I never heard a journalist write stuff like this:

"Its success may be partly attributed to its release on several formats. Legend is available for the PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, Xbox and PC."

Except when it's taken direct from a press release. They might have well have said also... available to buy from Woolworths, WHSmiths and all good retail outlets!!

And:

"Tomb Raider legend is the fastest selling game of 2006 because it is such great fun to play and we are confident it will continue to sell and sell," said Scott Dodkins, managing director of Eidos in Europe.

"The first lady of video gaming has well and truly returned."

Lol, typical press release quote from a senior staff member, to put into the article the message you want readers to take away with them (see bold). I've made up many of them in the past. :D

Anyway, I'm not saying it's not a hit, but this isn't real news.

Palmtree
11th Apr 2006, 17:59
I must confess that I didn't have that one coming. :)

Tomb Raider Legend is a big hit!

-Dizzy-
11th Apr 2006, 19:47
I was expecting it to be big as soon as I walked into GAME last Friday. I haven't seen this much advertising for a game since Halo 2.

lllll
11th Apr 2006, 19:55
AoD was a huge hit in the beginning too and then suddenly....

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 20:44
Lmao, if that isn't directly taken from a press release distributed by Eidos's PR agency, then I never worked in PR ... and I have. It's one almighty plug for Legend disguised as "news".

Lol, so true. It is really obviously some Eidos PR goons press release that's been cut and pasted by the webmaster. Some fat cat at Eidos has been greasing the palms of the BBC methinks.

But hey thats cool, cause thats who I work for!!!!!:D

Despicable behaviour... cough...

miss_L
11th Apr 2006, 21:20
Just because developers send out press kits doesn't mean anyone actually publishes them. Just look at IGN's horrific review of AOD, IGN of course received the standard PR kit singing the praises of AOD --- but press kits backfire majorly when they promise things that the reviewers find are just PR fluff and misleading. :o

Danny Darko
11th Apr 2006, 22:19
The concept of the BBC taking backhanders is nothing new. I remember when the Ford Focus first came out; Clarkson gave it a glowing review on Top Gear. The outtakes from the shoot were shown on another channel some time later and I quote "STUPID LUMP OF GERMAN ****E!!!".

Jeremy's words, not mine - I like German cars. :thumbsup:

Sophia Leigh
12th Apr 2006, 02:49
As for AoD it depends on the platform

I completely agree with you there Lydia.

I had no problem with AOD when I first played it on PS2 - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've been playing it when I get a chance over the last few weeks (almost finished) on my PC and the controls are really irritating:
- the way she dances around when you draw your weapon
- the lag time when you need her to run
- when you are running down stairs and she runs back up them
- when you climb up a pipe and you want her to grab the above ledge to the left and she grabs the ledge to the right
- the lack of camera option that you have on PS2
- the graphics on PC do strange things sometimes too like when playing in Von Croys apartment, the top half of Lara disappeared and she was just a pair of legs running around, in the aquatic research area I had the big fish thing swimming around in the air instead of in the water (unless I was in the water).

If I didn't enjoy the actual game (controls aside) I would have quit by now. Its only now after playing on PC that I understand what all the bad press was about.