PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft is no.1 again!

imported_Mark_
11th Apr 2006, 13:18
LARA CROFT IS NO.1 AGAIN

Tomb Raider Legend is fastest selling Tomb Raider game ever across all formats and fastest selling game of 2006*

Eidos Interactive, one of the world’s leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, is pleased to announce that Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend has reached No.1 in the UK.

The game has achieved the top spot in the PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 charts and reached No.2 in the PC chart, kept from the PC top spot by another Eidos title Championship Manager 2006.

"Tomb Raider legend is the fastest selling game of 2006 because it is such great fun to play and we are confident it will continue to sell and sell –said Scott Dodkins, Managing Director, Europe at Eidos–. This is yet another fantastic achievement for Lara in the same week as she was awarded a Guinness World Record. The first lady of video gaming has well and truly returned".

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is the seventh title to be released in the Tomb Raider™ series, which originally launched in 1996 and is still one of the best selling videogame franchises of all time, with over 28 million copies sold. Today also sees the hugely anticipated release of the game in to the North American market.

* Source Chart Track

movieman
11th Apr 2006, 13:32
Excellent: guess that means there'll be a sequel before too long.

Acceber
11th Apr 2006, 13:39
Hurrah! :D Go Lara. I helped. :cool: :thumbsup:

wgell
11th Apr 2006, 13:48
Says a lot about the sate of games these days. Bad news as far as I'm concerned. If it is that successful then they'll make TR8 exactly the same.

Oh dear! :(

carlo
11th Apr 2006, 13:49
I cant believe CM06 beat legend to the top spot on pc!!

lllll
11th Apr 2006, 14:04
AoD also sold millions in the first few weeks, then Core was dumped because all those people thought they were ripped off :thumbsup:

Snap125
11th Apr 2006, 14:06
Very well deserved! :D

Verios
AoD also sold millions in the first few weeks, then Core was dumped because all those people thought they were ripped off :thumbsup:

Here we go again....:rolleyes:

meznu
Says a lot about the sate of games these days. Bad news as far as I'm concerned. If it is that successful then they'll make TR8 exactly the same.

Oh dear! :( (sic)

I don't think you have to worry about that, wgell. I imagine Crystal Dynamics will improve on their *first* TR game in almost every way the same way they improved on a dying (dead?) franchise in almost every way and gave gaming back its royal Lady. They had to make up for almost ten years of bad sequels with Legend. Don't you think they'll be able to make bigger levels in the next one? Don't you think they'll *want* to? I just really hope they remember to take out *ALL* hints on the hardest setting and focus on exploration NOT combat.

Anyway, great news that the game is doing so well. All this doom and gloom was getting me down. I'm back to really looking forward to playing it! Thanks, Mark_!:) :thumbsup:

movieman
11th Apr 2006, 14:16
Bad news as far as I'm concerned. If it is that successful then they'll make TR8 exactly the same.

Doubt it: there seem to be some very consistent complaints from players about the length, complexity and over-use of hints, so they'd be foolish not to listen to them for the next game.

-Dizzy-
11th Apr 2006, 14:57
That's great news, I was in Gamestation today and noticed that the xbox version was sold out.

They also raised the price of the PS1 Tomb Raiders games from £2.99 to £9.99

Now that they are rolling around in all of our hard earned money, I hope it encourages them to wait a bit longer before releasing TR8 so that they can make it as long as possible.

munchkin
11th Apr 2006, 19:47
i'm sure they will make sure it is viable for PS3 and revolution, so they will work extra hard, on all forms of coding, but now they have a good basic formula to work with, one that works. i'm confident, that as with the Soul Reaver series, each game will get better and better. :)

TRL is class, pure and simple, i've clocked now in replays over 40hrs, and still love it, so go CD :)

beccaxx

miss_L
11th Apr 2006, 21:41
That Crystal Dynamics was able to accomplish what they did with a literally "dead" franchise is just amazing, major congrats to them :thumbsup:

The comments on the length and the chatter from Zip are truly minor faults compared to the massive failures of AOD, such it being unplayable/ uncontrollable on PS2 (and PC), "my legs feel stronger now" :eek: and "bugs" like suddenly rebooting your computer.

Finishing Legend quickly is not great but is at least a sign that people actually want to finish this game, rather than giving up and throwing it away unfinished with no regrets (AOD -- me)

AoD also sold millions in the first few weeks, then Core was dumped because all those people thought they were ripped off
Very true, AOD was released as a tie-in with the Angelina Jolie movie but had abysmal reviews. Had it been released alone without a movie promotion, with the reviews it was getting, who would have wasted the money?

AOD reviews

Official Playstation Mag: 2/ 5
IGN: 5.2 / 10
Entertainment Weekly: D+
PSM Magazine: 5 / 10
Gamespot: 6.5 / 10
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 5/ 10
Eurogamer: 4/ 10
Maxim: 5 / 5 "She’ll lure you in with her looks, then kill you with her blue gas." (Okay so Maxim liked the "jiggle silicon enhancements", but did they really play it? Blue gas? :confused:)
Gamer's Hell: 4.5 / 10

On the other hand, objective reviewers are giving Legend very good reviews, and its been ages since reviewers actually liked THE game itself without noting boob jiggle/enlargement as the only 'improved' feature. :thumbsup:

Not to say that all criticism is bad -- in fact CD seems to have listened to a lot of our critiques and recommendations. There is no way they have NOT noticed people think its too short by now, and as they actually seem to care about the fans' opinions, I'm sure the next one will be longer ;)

socom
11th Apr 2006, 21:43
LARA CROFT IS NO.1 AGAIN

And when was she not? ;)

Thanks for the info...

Trinity34
11th Apr 2006, 21:47
And when was she not? ;)

So true....

MADVDPRODUCTIONS
11th Apr 2006, 22:30

You are but a needle in a haystack.

movieman
11th Apr 2006, 22:40
Okay so Maxim liked the "jiggle silicon enhancements", but did they really play it? Blue gas?

I presume they're talking about the gas that kills you in the retarded second level if you don't complete every jump perfectly and figure out the puzzles in two seconds flat.

DKSM
12th Apr 2006, 15:00
Rather than making a new topic for every time it tops the chart (I hope it keeps doing so ;)) here is more:

Europe embraces Lara Croft
Tomb Raider Legend is No.1 in Germany and France

Eidos Interactive, one of the world’s leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, is pleased to announce that Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend has reached the No.1 spot in both Germany and France.

The game has achieved the top spot in the PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PC charts in Germany and the PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 charts in France already giving Lara the top spot in 10 individual charts across Europe, with data received from only three European territories.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend is the seventh title to be released in the Tomb Raider™ series, which originally launched in 1996 and is still one of the best selling videogame franchises of all time, with over 28 million copies sold.

Further information regarding chart positions in US and the rest of Europe will follow soon.

imported_Mark_
13th Apr 2006, 14:47
LARA IS NUMBER ONE IN ITALY

Tomb Raider Legend even beats The Godfather in Sicily to the No.1 spot!

Eidos Interactive, one of the world’s leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, is pleased to announce that Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend has reached the No.1 spot in Italy.

Beating the Godfather title on home soil, Lara continues her success in the charts taking the No.1 spot in the PS2 and All Formats chart with the seventh title to be released in the Tomb Raider™ series, which originally launched in 1996 and is still one of the best selling videogame franchises of all time, with over 28 million copies sold.

Further information regarding chart positions in US and the rest of Europe will follow soon.

Resy
13th Apr 2006, 15:52
I presume they're talking about the gas that kills you in the retarded second level if you don't complete every jump perfectly and figure out the puzzles in two seconds flat.

that was green gas not blue though?

Despite the charts... through all 7 games Lara has always been number 1 for me. :D

Add_x101
13th Apr 2006, 16:00
That Crystal Dynamics was able to accomplish what they did with a literally "dead" franchise is just amazing, major congrats to them :thumbsup:

Lara croft was never dead, it was just a simple task of taking her home, to where she belongs. Yes Crystal Dynamics is a fine team, hell the Soul Reaver trilogy was amazing. Sex sell, and Lara real/poly is a mighty fine piece of a**.

I’m :) ing