PDA

View Full Version : You are wrong

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 18:01
I really wish these people would not have posted their negetive comments about Tomb Raider: Legend. I have my heart set on this game and have been waiting for 3 years, this makes me mad when people just, well they are basicaly telling us that legend sucks and i know that no real croft fan would do this. and the kills that they have put on Crystal Dynamics, its horrible this is the best lara yet, i mean find the positive, and if you really hate it keep the comments to yourself, i think some people just expect way too much, we are only human. I mean if you spent 3 years on a game like this and when you read the forum and get bashed wouldnt it hurt you even the slightest. I know they are makein the millions but they should, it costs to make games too. CD Deserves better and i hope they make tomb raider until the end, Core design is all washed up when it comes to lara. So in conclusion i would like to say,LONG LIVE CRYSTAL DYNAMICS AND LONG LIVE LARA

WE ARE LUCKY THAT LARA IS BACK END OF DISCUSSION

Denny33142
10th Apr 2006, 18:15
everyone says the game is awesome the only problem is that its to short, thats what most ppl complain about and it is true. if they wanted to make a superb game then they should have done it with at least 18 hours of gameplay

miss_L
10th Apr 2006, 18:21
It doesn't matter honestly, IMHO.

As long as Legend gets good reviews/ ratings from objective sources like gamer mags, I doubt a single non-TR fan is going to not enjoy the game because of something said on the Eidos forums. :p

Since it seems there are only TR fans on here anyway, and as fans we all have our 2 cents about 'what went wrong' with the series we love, things Legend did well/ or could be improved. So lots of chit-chat/ arguing/criticism to be expected --which 99.9% of the rest of the world is completely unaware of. ;) Hopefully CD is paying attention though, there is no doubt some valid constructive criticism here to learn from.

If the game gets good reviews (as it has) and people who play it enjoy it, and recommend it to their friends who enjoy it too, and it looks beautiful and is fun and easy to control on the new platforms, then it will be a great success regardless of a few Eidos forum critics ;)

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 18:21
I havent even played and i am sure that its short, but you know could you all do any beter ?

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 18:23
Being a "real fan of Tomb Raider" does not mean we have to wear blinders and see only the good, or like any crap (TR-AOD and Chronicles) that is shoveled onto us.

TR Legend is a very well done portion of a game, with some things the old school camp doesn't like (auto-grab and helpers everywhere). What there is of it is over all very welll done though, it's just that it is extremely, undeniably, tiny! So we got very little bang for our buck.

movieman
10th Apr 2006, 18:32
TR Legend is a very well done portion of a game

I think that's a good description: for me it would have felt about right if there were another four levels after the end.

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 18:33
Its cds first lara game, ok if toby gard called you and asked you to do lara wouldnt you be nervous

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 18:37
Its cds first lara game, ok if toby gard called you and asked you to do lara wouldnt you be nervous

Not if I was CD. They already had an engine sitting there waiting for them, the Legacy of Kane games used it. All they had to do was make graphics to apply to it and tweak it a bit for TR. You know when I played the old Soul Reaver games I actually thought, man, this engine would be good for Tomb Raider...little did I know.

Psychopompador
10th Apr 2006, 18:43
i've said it before- and I'll say it here: I'd rather have 8 lebels of quality gaming bliss then 16 levels of crap.

damn- that would be quite the awkward question to be asked. "umm.. do you mean the computer character or Karima Adebibe?"

JK :D

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 18:45
It was a good game, but everyone here seems to be bitter about how short it was and I don't blame them. I doubt you will find a gamer that likes having games as short as this, the developers must have been rushed or something. Surely someone at some point must have thought "is the game really long enough to justify £30-£40?"

As I have said though I don't blame CD for anything.....yet. This was their first try and they made a good game. Some things worked, some things didn't. That's how life goes. The vast majority of people seem to like the new controls, and by vast majority I mean pretty much everyone at every games forum minus this one. Here it is 50/50. Some people liked having characters talk to Lara during the mission, others wanted a more isolated feeling. But not one person has ever given their opinion of the game without complaining about how short it was.

Now if CD gives us a harder and much longer game next time I will be happy and I think many people will be able to live with that. I'm just a little worried because some developers can be ignorant and stick to what they think is the best thing for the series. Hopefully the developers won't do this.

Silver_Rain
10th Apr 2006, 18:47
i mean find the positive, and if you really hate it keep the comments to yourself

As said before, I haven't played the game yet and I will not comment on whether it's good or bad before I have. But I must say that I find comments like this one really off-putting to be honest. What has this world come to???? Is it so now that only those who devote themselves to the worship of Legend are allowed to say anything about it at all???? And those who do enjoy it, but still find themselves disappointed at the length(or rather lack of it) for instance should just go and sulk in a corner and not be allowed to state their opinions????

It's a free world we live in, everyone has the same rights to state their opinions as the others and I'm finding the whole "if you don't like it, then you're not a true Lara fan" attitude appalling. What if I was to say the same thing about everyone who critizised AOD??? "This is Lara and the game is called Tomb Raider, so if you don't have anything positive to say just shut your mouth"??? What kind of attitude is that???? A very immature one IMO.

I've seen a lot of topics opened with people flaming the new game completely for various reasons and I've seen people complain about these topics. But what about the equally as many topics made in worship of this game, saying it's the best thing since sliced bread???? If those who don't like the game don't complain about the topics idealizing Legend, why should those who like it get their knickers in a twist every time they see a topic going the opposite way???? Is it just me or are people becoming less and less tolerant for each other's honest opinions???

I've honestly had it with people growling and name-calling those who don't like Legend. That goes the same way around too. I might be wrong in this, but to me it seems that most of the name-calling comes from the "love-Legend" camp though. Just an honest question and it's not intended as an offense to anyone.....how many of you who love Legend have actually paid for it with money that you yourselves have earned through many hours of hard work???? For my own account personally I would have to work 5 hours at my part-time job to be able to get enough money to afford this game. If I should think it's too short and lacking the elements that I have waited to see in a Tomb Raider game can I then expect to be flamed because I feel that I have paid for more than I've gotten and am bold enough to let people know??? Coming to someone and say "if you don't like it, don't play it" when they have poured out $50 on the game is actually straight out rude and immature. Like others have said, how can you expect TR8 to be the game we've all waited for if no one is allowed to speak up about eventual flaws in the game??? Improvement comes through constructive criticism, among other things.

Many of you speak as if people are breaking the hearts of the crew at CD by stating that this game isn't as good as expected. These people create a product to sell it, it's a business. Some will always enjoy the products, and then there are those who don't. Take books as another example. An author might spend several years of his or her life to write a book, but would that stop ANY of you from critisizing the book if you didn't like it???

And for the records, I AM a true Tomb Raider fan. I own every game in the series(including AOD) in both PC and PS format + the expansion packs, both movies, shotglasses, posters, mags.....you name it, I am an admin at a Tomb Raider FAN board and I have Lara on my desktop. I have faithfully bought every game and will continue doing so until the end of the franchise, no matter how much flaming the games may go through. I have also purchased Legend for both PC and PS2 + a strategy guide that for what I've heard only covers console strategies and not a single letter about the PC format!!!

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 18:48
i've said it before- and I'll say it here: I'd rather have 8 lebels of quality gaming bliss then 16 levels of crap.

Well in TR Legend, you only get 6. The other 2 are just little one room encounters that can't even be called a level.

I'd prefer 16 levels of "quality gaming bliss" like Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3, and 4 especially when CD already had the engine, so it's not like they had to spend years coding a new one like Core did (or tried to do) with AOD. CD just scrapped Core's horrid engine and used the one they've had for years.

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 18:49
I'm sure some of the more negative people will see it this way...

Once the 16 levels of crap ends you will be happy.

When the 8 levels of quality gaming ends you will be pissed off that it didn't last longer.

No pleasing some people ;)

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 18:56
For my own account personally I would have to work 5 hours at my part-time job to be able to get enough money to afford this game.

Unless you are extremely slow and stop to view each and every texture in the game twice, and explore every single corner, nook and cranny even though you can plainly see there will be nothing there, then you will have worked more hours to purchase this game then it will take you in actual play time to complete it.

LOFPB
10th Apr 2006, 18:59
LC WannaBe and Psycopompador you are both right. Unfortunately, there are some in this world that, even if you could crap gold bricks for them, would expect more. I, myself, am eager for tomorrow's release despite what I have heard.

storm shadow
10th Apr 2006, 19:02
everyone says the game is awesome the only problem is that its to short, thats what most ppl complain about and it is true. if they wanted to make a superb game then they should have done it with at least 18 hours of gameplay

I think we can wait on the unfinished bussiness pack ^^ watch my words

Mangar The Dark
10th Apr 2006, 19:32
I really wish these people would not have posted their negetive comments about Tomb Raider: Legend. I have my heart set on this game and have been waiting for 3 years, this makes me mad when people just, well they are basicaly telling us that legend sucks and i know that no real croft fan would do this. and the kills that they have put on Crystal Dynamics, its horrible this is the best lara yet, i mean find the positive, and if you really hate it keep the comments to yourself, i think some people just expect way too much, we are only human. I mean if you spent 3 years on a game like this and when you read the forum and get bashed wouldnt it hurt you even the slightest. I know they are makein the millions but they should, it costs to make games too. CD Deserves better and i hope they make tomb raider until the end, Core design is all washed up when it comes to lara. So in conclusion i would like to say,LONG LIVE CRYSTAL DYNAMICS AND LONG LIVE LARA

WE ARE LUCKY THAT LARA IS BACK END OF DISCUSSION

Are you serious?
Why would you not want to know people's honest opinions about the game? I haven't played it, and I'm definitely curious to know what people think about it, both good and bad. So far, I'm seeing some recurring comments that the game is good, but too short. To me, that's valuable information. Would you preferit if everyone just came here and said, "Golly!! TRL is PERFECT!!" How does that help anyone make an informed decision about whether to buy the game or rent it, etc?
As for your comment "We are lucky that Lara is back. End of discussion." Why should we just be glad just because Lara is back? Do you mean to tell me you would accept ANY product as long as Lara is in it? If Eidos decides that TR8 will be "Lara Croft Plays Tic-Tac-Toe," would you be happy? I doubt it. I think people have a right to expect more than just Lara's return. They have a right to expect a great game, and clearly some people don't think Legend is as great as it should have been, so why shouldn't they mention it?
And later you said "Could you do any better?" That's a completely irrelevant question. Of course I couldn't, but I'm not charging people $50 for anything.

Again, I have not yet played Legend, so I am not commenting on whether it is good or bad. Maybe I'll absolutely love it. But telling people that they should not express their honest opinions about something is crazy and it helps no one.

Psychopompador
10th Apr 2006, 19:46
i gotta say that i dont like seeing negative comments about something I'm looking forward to, but moreso than that, i dont like people being told not to say anything negative if they want to. Thats a mild form of censorship. It's like George W Bush hosting his ridiculous "Town Hall" meetings and screening the people who are invited and giving them cue card questions where his ass is kissed with every word spoken.

asking people on these forums if they could do something better is a completely unfair question because, as far as i know, we are consumers- not game designers. We are completely entitled to have any opinion we want on something we have to pay money (of any amount) to have

I want to hear all sides and all opinions- not just the positive ones.

tomb_raider_obssesed
10th Apr 2006, 20:53
Yeah, probably that the ones that say "Legend sucks" are not Lara Croft fans.

Well I am a big fan. I don't say it sucks but we've waited so much for this and even if it's great it has lots of bad things. And you can't even tell anymore if it's a real TR game or is just a simple Action game :( . Anyway I think that on one hand is great and on the other it was a mistake releasing it so early. It looks like is not finished. And i felt like i finished a demo not a real TR.

Core Fan
10th Apr 2006, 20:55
yes indeed
i am a tomb raider fan.. not a lara croft fan.. maybe thats my problem :rolleyes:

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 20:56
I simply do not see core making another croft game, i mean sure cd could have done better in some areas, but think back to when you were 5 and scared to leave the mansion, and come on the parts in it rock its just a tab bit short, the only think i know it i will be playing on hard :D

sup2069
10th Apr 2006, 20:57
Actually if everyone kept the negatives to themselves and suffered, people (who don’t have the game) will come to these boards looking for people’s positives and negative opinions on this game. Not reading any negative feedback, they buy the game. Depending on that said person, they may hate it and hence the cycle starts all over again.

The gaming industry is a risking business; just because you've spent such and such years on developing a game doesn’t guarantee success. Despite the harshness of negative reviews, they in fact are good at revealing what the consumer wants. And from the looks of it, the negative reviews are coming from the TR1-3 veterans. “Legends” imho, has strayed a little off.

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 20:58
Whats the point without Lara this is her game

Core Fan
10th Apr 2006, 21:00
I simply do not see core making another croft game

They need to work together.. Cause obviously Core are the artists, the brains... While CD are the "do´ers" and need to be pointed into the right direction.... Cause their creativity is :eek:

Lara Croft Wanna Be
10th Apr 2006, 21:01
I have never played, and I defend lara out of nature , and i will be mad if i think its bad, but really some people love it and will love *once they play* there is no reason to make it sound worse than it is

TheLegend
10th Apr 2006, 21:09
I don't understand how people could have posted messages saying 'Just finished- only 6hrs!' the same day Legend was released. If you are going to rush through a game in one day, without appreciating the scenery or exploring every possible place a secret could be hidden, then you deserve to be dissatisfied with the game. I bought Legend on Sunday, and so far I've just finished the Bolivia level. Is there anything wrong with that? Gaming isn't my life; I play games in 30 min stints, no more than 2hrs a day. So far I'm more than happy with the level of content in the game, and for the £19.99 I bought it for (I traded in A.O.D! :D ), I think I've more than got my money's worth. Play the game again if you think it's too short; you might have missed something.

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 21:27
I don't understand how people could have posted messages saying 'Just finished- only 6hrs!' the same day Legend was released. If you are going to rush through a game in one day, without appreciating the scenery or exploring every possible place a secret could be hidden, then you deserve to be dissatisfied with the game.

Man, I am so sick of hearing this! I DID explore everything possible. I included the time when I left it paused and went and cooked and ate dinner. I wandered around in every level exploring everything there was to explore, which was almost nothing other than what you can see the moment you walk into the room...

...IT STILL ONLY TOOK 6 HOURS from 1 PM when I installed it until 7 PM when the credits rolled! I'd say it was 4 hours of actual game play time. 4 measley hours! And that IS exploring and trying to find secrets. If I broke that up to 2 hours a day for 3 days, it is STILL only 6 hours!

If you fire it up, play for 30 minutes and then go AFK for 4 hours, that does not make the game longer. You still only played for 30 minutes, not 4 and a half hours. How anyone could take longer that 8 hours in actual play time in this game is beyond me. I don't see how it could be possible unless you are absolutely brain dead.

Denny33142
10th Apr 2006, 22:14
there are games like "the Godfather" that even new it costs $39.99 and there are even others that are brand new and costs $29.99 and provide 4 times the legnth of TR:L

i dont know how they got the guts to sell this game at $50 for 6 hours of gameplay! and with tax it adds up to $60. so your practicaly paying $10 per hour!

munchkin
10th Apr 2006, 22:24
there are games like "the Godfather" that even new it costs $39.99 and there are even others that are brand new and costs $29.99 and provide 4 times the legnth of TR:L

i dont know how they got the guts to sell this game at $50 for 6 hours of gameplay! and with tax it adds up to $60. so your practicaly paying $10 per hour!

hmm, interestingly the UK OPS2 magazine, gave Godfather a lower rating than TRL, obviously size isn;t everything, to game reviewrs, who play so many games, they obvoiuly loved TRL, to give it 8/10.

beccaxx

ShadowOfOblivion
11th Apr 2006, 00:04
...IT STILL ONLY TOOK 6 HOURS from 1 PM when I installed it until 7 PM when the credits rolled! I'd say it was 4 hours of actual game play time. 4 measley hours! And that IS exploring and trying to find secrets. If I broke that up to 2 hours a day for 3 days, it is STILL only 6 hours!

First off, pauses..meals, breaks, whatever..you shouldn't play videogames 6 hours straight like that, because any doctor will tell you it's not healthy. It's bad for your eyes. I can't even play PS2 for more than an hour without having to pull away, how you can pull seven (with small breaks inbetween) is beyond me.

Personally I'm extremely disappointed in the lot of you. When all you can really complain about is the length of a game, that DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME SUCKS. If anything, if a game leaves you wishing there was more (instead of praying for it to be over), that means it was a rather exceptional game and was well done by its creators. You're getting an opportunity we never thought possible (a tomb raider after that EMBARASSINGLY CODED trainwreck called AOD), with none of the problems that rocked it's 'not so good' predecessor. The faulty/semi-unresponsive controls, high bug count and grid based jumping system of AOD are all no longer there. Instead you get an easy to control TR, with hardly any bugs and stellar graphics, and all you can do is complain about its length. Seriously, you all need to grow up and stop being so selfish. I've never been so disappointed in the TR community as I am now, and you all need to stop acting like selfish, greedy, disrespectful little children.

Because of Crystal Dynamics you will be GETTING a Tomb Raider 8. It is because of them that TR is no longer laughed at by ex-fans or the press. And lastly, it is because of them that Lara Croft has regained her crown and might wind up being more popular than she was 10 years ago.

Would you ever see Core doing any of that? No. Instead they chose to torture our character by killing off her friends, planning to burn down her mansion/give the butler a heartattack, and make her wanted by the law..all in the course of one game. Angel Of Darkness, as much as some people think it showed promise..was a sign of how much Core no longer cared about Lara. They tried to put her through hell, almost ruined her career in the process...and honestly probably got a huge smile out of it in the end because they wouldn't have to work on another Tomb Raider game.

Plain and simple..be THANKFUL TR lived to see a 7th game, and quit your complaing because CD is bound to make TR8 a much longer game after all these horrible threads.

When your biggest complaint about a game is the time, and nothing really else..perhaps you should re-think your thoughts on just how supposedly "bad" Legend really is. Think about it, and maybe grow up just a tad in the process.

Was that rude? Maybe. But I'm surprised none of your mothers ever told you that whining shows immaturity, and solves absolutely nothing. If you want something done..handle it maturity. Dont piss and moan.

movieman
11th Apr 2006, 00:06
with hardly any bugs

Save doesn't work at all for me: the speakers just click until I press 'escape'. I'd consider that a pretty major bug if it wasn't for the autosave.

ShadowOfOblivion
11th Apr 2006, 00:08
Save doesn't work at all for me: the speakers just click until I press 'escape'. I'd consider that a pretty major bug if it wasn't for the autosave.

Considering you said escape, that means its on the PC and can/WILL be patched. I have not read any reviews or anything that would suggest this game is riddled with bugs.

I can think of many times in AOD where the game crashed on the ps2 before I could even GET a chance to save it.

DABhand
11th Apr 2006, 03:04
Please let me bring you back to earth...

First off, pauses..meals, breaks, whatever..you shouldn't play videogames 6 hours straight like that, because any doctor will tell you it's not healthy. It's bad for your eyes. I can't even play PS2 for more than an hour without having to pull away, how you can pull seven (with small breaks inbetween) is beyond me.

I Can play for a long time, especially WoW (bloody thing) :P

Personally I'm extremely disappointed in the lot of you. When all you can really complain about is the length of a game, that DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME SUCKS. If anything, if a game leaves you wishing there was more (instead of praying for it to be over), that means it was a rather exceptional game and was well done by its creators.

Errr No, How is a short game making you wish you want more a good thing?

I think your getting mixed up by short game and a cliffhanger at the end. I didnt pay money to play this then say at the end "OMG it was short, But hark! I wish there was more! Damn those crafty programmers".

You're getting an opportunity we never thought possible (a tomb raider after that EMBARASSINGLY CODED trainwreck called AOD), with none of the problems that rocked it's 'not so good' predecessor. The faulty/semi-unresponsive controls, high bug count and grid based jumping system of AOD are all no longer there. Instead you get an easy to control TR, with hardly any bugs and stellar graphics, and all you can do is complain about its length. Seriously, you all need to grow up and stop being so selfish. I've never been so disappointed in the TR community as I am now, and you all need to stop acting like selfish, greedy, disrespectful little children.

Yep AOD was very very poor. And you are being disrespectful to people trying to give out their views, not everybody agrees with everything you say, annoying isnt it not having your view accepted by everyone, would be a boring world if they did.

Because of Crystal Dynamics you will be GETTING a Tomb Raider 8. It is because of them that TR is no longer laughed at by ex-fans or the press. And lastly, it is because of them that Lara Croft has regained her crown and might wind up being more popular than she was 10 years ago.

There is a TR8??? Wow I must get round to your house and use your crystal ball there. More Popular than 10 yrs ago, no I dont think it will ever be that again. But it was actually about 14 yrs ago.

Would you ever see Core doing any of that? No. Instead they chose to torture our character by killing off her friends, planning to burn down her mansion/give the butler a heartattack, and make her wanted by the law..all in the course of one game. Angel Of Darkness, as much as some people think it showed promise..was a sign of how much Core no longer cared about Lara. They tried to put her through hell, almost ruined her career in the process...and honestly probably got a huge smile out of it in the end because they wouldn't have to work on another Tomb Raider game.

Yeah they did a bad job, but it was their character remember, if they wished to kill her off they would have, but they did give the rights to someone else for a price offcourse, but they could have easily not have, so dont blame Core they did let her live.

Plain and simple..be THANKFUL TR lived to see a 7th game, and quit your complaing because CD is bound to make TR8 a much longer game after all these horrible threads.

Yes lets hope so, but of the exploration finding out things type and not go from A to B. And there is no certainty that they will make TR8.

When your biggest complaint about a game is the time, and nothing really else..perhaps you should re-think your thoughts on just how supposedly "bad" Legend really is. Think about it, and maybe grow up just a tad in the process.

More flames against people shouldnt you grow up? But there is more to it, no exploration, too much urban levels, no mind numbing puzzles, easy to figure out where to go, so.so..so..sound problem. Probably more too boot, but meh.

Was that rude? Maybe. But I'm surprised none of your mothers ever told you that whining shows immaturity, and solves absolutely nothing. If you want something done..handle it maturity. Dont piss and moan.

So in comes the mother flames now, wow, nothing new from what is a fanboi's view to Legend. Why complain about people when you do the exact same thing but on the pro-eidos/CD side. Makes you think dont it.

imported_True_Patriot
11th Apr 2006, 08:22
If they were to put 20-levels in TRL it still wouldn't work because every one of those level would have been crap and borring just like the 8-levels we got in the game because the platforming and puzzle solving in TRL is as much fun as watching paint dry... and btw 2 of those 8-levels only lasted around 10 minutes and theres another one that only lasted 5 minutes :eek: But I think if each of those 8-level would've lasted around 2 hour with really tricky platforming and puzzle solving and "NO DAMN SHINY HINTS OR HELP AT ALL" then this game could've been great.