PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Toby Gard - Get your questions in!!

MissLara2U
10th Apr 2006, 16:09
I'm going to be interviewing Toby Gard tomorrow, so - as we did with our Karima Adebibe interview - get your questions attached to this thread and I'll present them to him tomorrow.

Greetings from London.

M.

Psychopompador
10th Apr 2006, 16:13
Thanks for bringing Lara back to the tombs!

This may be an early on question, but are you working on a Legend sequel now the TRL is released?

UK BladeRunner
10th Apr 2006, 16:16
Tony,

Why didn't you go back to the roots of the successful 1st Tomb Raider and use the 'Blue Crystal' save method? This was undoubtedly the cleverest and most challenging method of saving points within a game and slowed the playability down. People are saying that TR:Legend was far too quick and over too soon. I put this down to checkpoints, automatic saves, enfinity pistol bullets and replenished health after restarting a checkpoint!

I think letting the gamer think for themeselves is also a challenge instead of guiding them through levels with shimmering metalics (for the grapple) and button pointers???

Your thoughts....

Heading in the right direction nevertheless... So mostly a great job. Thanks :thumbsup:

munchkin
10th Apr 2006, 16:27
In the much anticipated already by many, sequel to TRL, do you anticipate, a slightly longer, game, with slightly tougher puzzles? Or are you happy with how TRL is and see it needs no real change?

PS, thank you and CD and eidos so much, for TRL, i am still enjoying it alot, find the controls perfect, love the interaction between Lara and Zipp and Alasdair, and overall a 9 + 1/2 out of 10 :)

beccaxx

midroth
10th Apr 2006, 16:35
How do you do?

Mangar The Dark
10th Apr 2006, 16:45
What do you feel were some of the biggest missteps taken by previous TR games?

wgell
10th Apr 2006, 16:54
There has been a lot of negative reation to Legend to fans of the old games. How do you feel about that?

Why is it so short?

Why is there no real exploration?

Why are there spoilers all the way through in the form of radio transmissons ans shining objects?

Do you really think Legend improves on the original?

What do you think Tomb Raider should be about and do you think Legend captures that?

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 16:55
Tony,...
I didn't know Tony Hawk was involved with Tomb Raider! :eek: :p

miss_L
10th Apr 2006, 17:55
Hi Toby,

Was your sister really the inspiration for Lara Croft?

And, I've heard you came on board with CD after Legend had already been mostly planned out. If you were to start from the beginning with TR8 :D and be involved the entire time, what features would you most want to bring back from the original, and what would you want changed?
(my personal recommendations would be the sense of loneliness and isolation, mostly animal enemies (more realistic than murdering people), and spectacular daredevil cutscenes like pitching a motorcycle into the ocean to catch a yacht -- love TR1 :thumbsup: )

either way, I'm glad you are back!
Laura

storm shadow
10th Apr 2006, 18:54
Ask Toby if they still use the so called book Core Design made for their episodes 6, 7 and 8 like AOD being 6! Because Legend isn't something you can easily blend in the AOD story! It's a totaly different story!
Also ask Toby if there is going to be a Expansion pack for Legend like the unfinished bussiness releases I loved!

madmary
10th Apr 2006, 18:55
Lara's acrobatic skills were the thing that really made me love the early games. I recall jumping from wall to wall and avoiding swinging blades. She can't do that in this game. Will her full range of skills be returned to her?

Whilst I like Legend I don't love it. I think this has a lot to do with the overuse of cutscenes. Do you realise that LC fans really love the challenge of getting her out of sticky situations themselves? I find it harder to identify with her when half her efforts have nothing to do with me.

Finally, did you realise that most of us loved the isolation and lonliness of Lara's position. To be alone on a huge pyramid or in a canyon miles from anywhere, or in a jungle with nothing but monkey's for company was a joy. Do we have to have this constant chattering in our ears?

carlitoo
10th Apr 2006, 19:13
Enjoyed that last question!

My question: What has changing a perfect control system done for the game apart from taken it back 9 steps?

Talkless
10th Apr 2006, 19:16
Enjoyed that last question!
Me too.

Because game is short and i have allready finished it, so my question is "What about upcomming TR8?".

dhama
10th Apr 2006, 19:34
Hey Toby, my question is is more of a request.

Many of us would like to see Lara in particular scenerios, mostly tombs I guess but there are many others, so why not, even though it would be much more complicated than before, convince CD to release a level editor for us to enjoy alongside Legend... or of course the next Tomb Raider game.
I do have a question also, what do you think of the mass of custom levels that are increasing everyday, made by the fans of your original idea?

Legend4Eva
10th Apr 2006, 19:50
Hi!;)

I would like to know why Croft Manor did not have an outside, meaning a bike course and an asult course like in TR2/TR3? And if when you make the next game, will you then add an outside? I am a really big fan of Croft Manor, I always play in TR1, TR2 and TR3 Croft Manor as it's brill! It's somewhere just to feel free and do whatever you want! I would like to say thank you also for bringing it back, but there could of been more to it!;) :) !

And the BIG question is, will there be a TR8???:confused: ??? I have 100%completed TRL and am dieing for more TR!!:) :) !

Thanks, Scott!;)

Acceber
10th Apr 2006, 19:52
OK, my question is more of a statement followed by a question.

Dear Toby.

Tomb Raider Legend is wonderful... I am addicted to it in all the best ways. Lara is back and I cannot say thank you to you and CD enough for what you have done. How does that make you feel? :)

Can you say the smile, too? :D

Joshorty
10th Apr 2006, 19:52
Will there be a SPECIAL 10th ANNIVERSARY EDITION GAME or REMAKe to your orignal '96 project that really awed us all:D? and what system is it for (it was rumoured PSP:confused: ) ? Because that game is just fresh and orignal and I think since this marks 10 years, this game and we fans may be crying out a remake to the one and only projec that you participated in back then that made Tomb Raider alive:D . It is a great honour to have you in this latestTR project, by the way;)

Silver_Rain
10th Apr 2006, 19:54
Considering that the PC format has always had a strong root in the TR franchise, why does it seem that this new release has turned into more of a "console-based game"?

Especially regarding to the control system which I have heard works like a dream on the consoles, but even console players who have tried the PC format state that the controls there are worse. Also the official game strategy guide has layouts and control settings for all consoles(PS2, Xbox etc), but not a word about the PC controls or layouts. Alienating those who play the games on the PC only while promoting the console formats can hardly be a good move for the franchise?

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 19:59
Here is mine:

Dear Mr. Gard,

Do you think you can use your influence to convince the fine folk at CD to improve the next installment of TR by using the control system that was used in the brilliant Galleon?

And If I may be so bold as to add a second question: In a possible next game, could you please consider that there are also long time Tomb Raiders that would very much like to experience the Tomb Raiding without getting any hint sfrom anywhere by being able to turn off the gaming hints from Zip and Allister, the button help and Lara looking at things? THAT would be splendid.

And please tell him that my wife and I love Lara in TR Legend. We love that she was made a gentle, thoughtful woman again. Not the sarcastic person she became in the later games.

See guys, this is how this is done.

Natla_J
10th Apr 2006, 20:08
--

I would like to know his thoughts on how they adapted his character to the movies.
I am not criticizing the actress performance but as far as the stories went and her solutions to the problems, her personality, ect - dose he feel the movies do his character justice? What would he have changed in them?

Johnny

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 20:18
Hi Toby. With Goran's question in mind, could you use your influence to improve the next installment by using the control system used in every other Tomb Raider game, that is, the classic controls? Please?

carlitoo
10th Apr 2006, 20:19
Has he completed all the games himself?!

carlitoo
10th Apr 2006, 20:23
Hi Toby. With Goran's question in mind, could you use your influence to improve the next installment by using the control system used in every other Tomb Raider game, that is, the classic controls? Please?

I second this strongly. Pretty please.

madmary
10th Apr 2006, 20:33
Here is mine:

Dear Mr. Gard,

Do you think you can use your influence to convince the fine folk at CD to improve the next installment of TR by using the control system that was used in the brilliant Galleon?

And If I may be so bold as to add a second question: In a possible next game, could you please consider that there are also long time Tomb Raiders that would very much like to experience the Tomb Raiding without getting any hint sfrom anywhere by being able to turn off the gaming hints from Zip and Allister, the button help and Lara looking at things? THAT would be splendid.

See guys, this is how this is done.

I thought Galleon was brilliant too! I second that question and the other one about the hints.

Mary

AlphaFist
10th Apr 2006, 20:40
I have a few questions...

What did you think about the Tomb Raider movies? Do they represent your idea of what the games should look like on the big screen?

Where is Tomb Raider Legend on the Tomb Raider timeline? It seems that the story is consistent with the events in Angel of darkness.

Thanks!

tomb_raider_obssesed
10th Apr 2006, 20:46
1.Well, I know U've worked a lot for the graphics and U really did a great job. But why is exactly this short TRL? and why is it so diffrent (in bad) from the other TRs. I mean talking about the puzzles, the difficulty and all that means a TR game.(now is more like any other Action game)

2.What are your plans now. Are you going to take a brake and then start working for TR8? or are you going to try to do something to "repair" TRL? An expansion or new downloadable levels.

3.Are there any chances of rebuilding some of the old TRs with these graphics? There were a lot of posts in the forum about this and everyone would enjoy it, even if I think you would better make an expansion for TRL or anything to make it bigger.

4.For the next plans, are you going to bring back somethings from the old TRs? Like the inventory?:rolleyes: or the outside of the Mansion? and others? and are you going to take some of the new stuff out?I mean there were complains about the hints and the comunication of Lara with Zip and the others. No one wants the hints, and not only that there are icons that show you what to do, but there are even some objects that are very shiny and is exactly like a hint. But the comunication, I think is allrigt some of the users were pro :).

Another small problem would be that from the AOD the killed enemys simply disapear and now the rocks that break disapear, is simply so unreal. Maybe in the future they will just stand there forever :rolleyes: like in TR1. (but this is my problem, I don't know about the others)

So these should be some of the main questions. Because is not only what I want to know but what others want to :D :) ;)

Treeble
11th Apr 2006, 01:09
Not sure if it's been asked nor I want to sound like a complete ****, but this has buggered way too many people as far as I can say.

Toby has said numberous times he didn't like the direciton they were taking with Lara to a sex-appeal icon, "that was not his main goal". How does it differ from having Lara's undies showing in one of the Legend outfits, precisely the Tokyo one?

I for one love it and think it's great, but that's perhaps I have more to worry about than to imagine what a video game character looks like naked, but it got very annoying reading all those cries on about every TR forum.

By the way, thanks for reinventing Lara Croft. It was about time. :thumbsup:

Trinity34
11th Apr 2006, 02:38
To expand on Treeble's question... Why make the black dress so revealing? Do you think the dress could have been more tastefully done? Don't you think this dress belittles Lara's character?

meznu
11th Apr 2006, 04:10
MissLara2U, thank you very much for sharing this opportunity with us. ^_^ I wrote a long version, but thought it was probably too long, so I've abridged it. The long version of the questions is still below, if you don't mind looking. Again, sincere thanks. :D :thumbsup:

First I'd like to thank Toby Gard. Like Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams (but before them), you have given me one of my favorite characters in history. It must be a good feeling to be back with "your girl." I can assure you that it's a very good feeling for me.

I should say that I don't live in Europe and so I have unfortunately not had the chance to play TRL yet, but I can't wait! I do have some questions/comments, though:

1) What about using the headset* as a weatherproof digital camera and building some puzzles around it? For instance, you could take photos of symbols on something in a museum (that you can't steal) to decode text or match a lock at a site deep under the ocean. I'm sure you'll have other thoughts. I can just really see how innovative puzzles could use the digital camera in original ways. It also encourages players to create a personal travelogue of the best shots, extending game length by giving the players something to *do* while exploring for exploring's sake.

*There should also be a camera that's not on the headset so she doesn't have to wear the headset at her Manor or at a party in a cocktail dress but can still take photos. :thumbsup:

2) How about NO shiny objects and less "grab forgiveness" on the hardest difficulty setting? Also on the hardest setting, Zip and Allister's "chatter" could serve as simple entertainment. It might range from intriguing backstory about old adventures with Lara, Zip and Allister's personal histories, or comedic commentary a la Mystery Science Theater. No hints, just exposition. The quality of the writing is one of the rewards for playing on the hardest level. What do you think?

I just want to say again how happy I am that you're back, Mr. Gard. I sincerely hope you're back to stay. I commend you for not giving up on Lara or Galleon, for that matter. It's making me think of buying an XBox. You are a man of true vision. Thank you for your integrity and for continuing to enhance my concept of what entertainment can mean. ;)

LONG VERSION

1. Some people are bewildered by Lara's "sexy" outfits in TRL, especially in light of your previous complaints about Core's over-sexualizing her character. For me, the difference is in the developers' motivations. There is nothing *gratuitous* about the outfits in Legend. They all seem, to me at least, like things Lara would actually choose for herself and of "haute couture" quality - not skimpy-for-the-sake-of-skin things her pimp told her to wear. My impression since I first saw "the Tokyo dress" was always that Lara is a very attractive woman who knows it and realistically would enjoy sexy designer cocktail dresses. After seeing the Jeep crossover, I honestly thought it was a guest design by Armani or Versace. I think it suits her character who seems to enjoy attention and the power that comes with it. I see no hypocrisy. I would really like a "from the horse's mouth" answer so it can stop being debated, as I really think it's the least interesting thing to question a creator's integrity about.

2. There are numerous complaints that the game is too short. Are there any plans to release an expanded patch for consoles, longer Greatest Hits, or enhanced PS3 version? Of course, that just means asking consumers for more money, so... In the future, perhaps Lara could actually go on different open missions emailed by NPC to her home computer that the player then chooses. NPC's and quests range from power-hungry billionaires to conservationist organizations. Using money from these quests, the player can shop "online" for everything from outfits (guest designers?) to equipment to vehicles and even home furnishings. It's all optional, so if you just wanna adventure you can (& don't ignore the development of a long main game). You don't have to buy into the "Lara SIM" thing (although for my money it *greatly* extends gamelife), but it gives hardcore fans of Lara a chance to do other things with her and enhances the main game by opening it up. Plus, there could be really cool gear for the main game available "online." And naturally the NPCs' personalities and variety of sub-missions will enrich the tapestry and texture of the gameworld. Now I'm thinking of GTA, but I wasn't when I had the idea. What do you think?

3. I'm also curious why, with different difficulty settings, the hardest setting still has "shiny" objects & headset hints. I had simply assumed that the hardest setting would not have these help features and that "grab forgiveness" would also be lessened. From what I'm reading, this is not the case and that is unfortunate as well as surprising. I'd love to see less-forgiving jumps and NO shiny objects in the highest difficulty of the next game. However, I really like the idea of Lara's team on the headsets. It humanizes the character. As long as there is always the option to turn it off completely in Settings, I see no reason to remove this element from the game. Perhaps on the hardest difficulty setting, though, Zip and Allister simply talk about themselves or see things in the environment that remind them of past adventures with Lara - stuff like that. In this way, the "chatter" becomes backstory that you can only get by playing on the hardest difficulty setting. Some of it might be truly intriguing and some might be hardcore fan in-jokes. It would transform something that many fans have complained about into something that actually deepens the experience of the characters and world. What do you think?

4. I've also read that we don't go outside Croft Manor in this one, which I actually anticipated. We need something to look forward to, right? When we do get outside, I'd love to see butterflies in the maze garden. Have a variety of different colors and markings, please. It seems that whenever butterflies are in games, there's always only one type. The fish in her secret underground aquarium/library should have similar diversity. I imagine Lara collecting different species, perhaps even mythical references. There could be a mini-game to photograph fish and butterflies, or it's the training for photo puzzles in the main game. Which brings me to my next point: A weatherproof digital camera and photo album would be a well-fit piece of kit for Lara Croft. Now I'm thinking of FATAL FRAME II, but I wasn't when I first had the idea. ^_^ To solve a puzzle, you could take photos of symbols on something in a museum (that you can't steal) to decode text or match a lock at a site deep under the ocean. I'm sure you'll have other thoughts. I can just really see how innovative puzzles could use the digital camera in original ways and players would love having a personal travelogue. It would really extend gameplay, too, exploring areas to find a place to get just the right shot. I spent more time taking photos in FATAL FRAME than actually playing the game. I loved that feeling because it was truly personal freedom. I was really *playing* with my own creativity. But it would be even more interesting in TR. Gorgeous, living landscapes. If there are changing sunsets or moving clouds or dynamic weather, so much the better! Or trying to photograph wildlife without alerting it instead of just killing it!?! Like the grapple, it opens up *lots* of possibilities. It also leads down the road back to less combat/more exploration and a longer, more personal game experience. SILLY NOTE but I mean it: I think Lara should have peacocks on the grounds! Now that there's so much life in the world, there should be in the grounds, too, I think. And it should be *exotic*. Successfully rendering the opening and closing and the iridescence of peacock feathers would be beautiful - and their sound! There's just something very "genre" about peacocks on mansion grounds to me. Maybe *just* me.:p What do you think?

-Dizzy-
11th Apr 2006, 06:17
1. Many people are bewildered by Lara's "sexy" outfits in TRL, especially in light of your previous complaints about Core's over-sexualizing her character. For me, the difference is in the developers' motivations. There is nothing *gratuitous* about the outfits in Legend. They all seem, to me at least, like things Lara would actually choose for herself and of "haute couture" quality - not skimpy-for-the-sake-of-skin things her pimp told her to wear. My impression since I first saw "the Tokyo dress" was always that Lara is a very attractive woman who knows it and realistically would enjoy sexy designer cocktail dresses. After seeing the Jeep crossover, I honestly thought it was a guest design by Armani or Versace. I think it suits her character who seems to enjoy attention and the power that comes with it. I see no hypocrisy. I think many fans would appreciate your comments on this. I would personally just like a "from the horse's mouth" answer so it can stop being debated, as I really think it's the least interesting thing to question a creator's integrity about.
Is there really that much debate about the dress? I haven't seen it, but I would guess some of the old TR fans could get a bit cranky.

It never bothered me though, I pretty much agree with your opinion of it.

My problem though was that the first part of the level itself was useless. She was in a dress and could only walk, couldn't use guns or anything. All you did was walk down the stairs, talk to the bartender, walk around the corner into the office and then back. It was pointless.

When I first saw it I thought it would be like Mission Impossible on the N64. In that you were at a party, but there was a guard and if you did anything wrong he attacked you. There was an objective as well, I think you had to sneak about and plant a smoke/gas bomb or something and then open a door. Things like that gave it a purpose, in TR it was pointless. They should have made it so that Lara had to sneak into a room or something.

GoranAgar
11th Apr 2006, 06:31
1. Many people are bewildered by Lara's "sexy" outfits in TRL,
NO, only a few people are. NOT MANY! Geez. :rolleyes:

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 09:21

Dear Mr Gard,

I implore you to not kill off the TR franchise by changing the controls back. They were antiquated, clumsy, slow, unrealistic, unathletic and over fiddly and truly look ancient in comparison to the new fluid 21st century control. Though of course I cannot state it as a statistical fact, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that it will only be a very tiny minority who could possibly want the old control system over the new one.

Thanks for TRL, it was fantastic and a damn good effort at re-capturing the essence of Tomb Raider.

p.s, I know this question won't be used, but I also know you or someone from CD will read it.

Cat Valentine
11th Apr 2006, 12:30
Hello :)

I've been a fan of TR and Lara since 1st playing TR1 on the Sega Saturn (!), and her further adventures was one of the reasons I ended up with a Sony PS. What I'd like to know is can we realistically expect future TR games to "return to form" in the sense of bigger levels, more puzzles, more isolation? Or is the pressure so high on designers etc to make her into a more dynamic action heroine with no strategic/problem solving gameplay whatsoever?

grats on creating one of gamings greatests btw lol ;)

C
Xxx

meznu
11th Apr 2006, 12:31
NO, only a few people are. NOT MANY! Geez. :rolleyes:

Sorry to have somehow offended you with my post, GoranAgar. It's just that I feel I've noticed it enough times that I wanted to say something about it. To me it feels like "many." In the scheme of the whole planet, I'm sure it's not a large percentage. I realize now that it was probably more the fervency of the objections than the number of complaints that got my attention. *To me* it seems like such a silly reason to attack the creator's integrity and I just wanted him to comment on it, "for the record," so to speak. Perhaps you noticed I removed the question from my abridged request, as it's not a high priority for me. But, for the record, I do love that dress and I am curious if Toby Gard still sees this as "oversexing" Lara because I don't. I'll be editing my message to say "some" instead of "many" right away because I agree with you that "many" may be inaccurate. I did not mean to suggest that I had done a poll or could provide statistics when I used that word and I am sorry to have frustrated you with my lack of research and inaccurate misrepresentation. Geez! :rolleyes: What happened to the love and kindness in this forum? It seems like there's somebody ready to attack almost anything anyone says these past few days. :confused:

GoranAgar
11th Apr 2006, 12:48
Do not worry. You did not offend me. It is just that this topic was a very noisy one where only a very few people made so much noise on this forum that one could believe that it was actually a lot of people who complaint. But it was not many, just a few loud ones. ;)

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 13:21
edit: did have a question here but have just noticed the date of this thread and realised your interview was today, d'oh. so have removed the question.

meznu
11th Apr 2006, 13:56
Do not worry. You did not offend me. It is just that this topic was a very noisy one where only a very few people made so much noise on this forum that one could believe that it was actually a lot of people who complaint. But it was not many, just a few loud ones. ;)

Got it! Thanks! :D :thumbsup:

RuumTaedor
11th Apr 2006, 14:07
I implore you to not kill off the TR franchise by changing the controls back. They were antiquated, clumsy, slow, unrealistic, unathletic and over fiddly and truly look ancient in comparison to the new fluid 21st century control. Though of course I cannot state it as a statistical fact, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that it will only be a very tiny minority who could possibly want the old control system over the new one.
Please forgive me, everyone. This thread is supposed to be for questions not opinions, but I can't resist commenting on this posted opinion.

Hi Straw Dog. You feel it would be a tiny minority who would want the old controls, but I'm glad to read that you are not presenting this as a fact. I don't see what is so terrible about me requesting the classic controls. Sabataging Tomb Raider is not my goal. I doubt it would "kill off the TR franchise", but we can agree to disagree. Of course Lara in Legend, being the latest release, is incredibly fluid. I actually think Lara in TR1 is quite fluid. Lara can walk, run, jump up to a ledge, do the handstand thing, very fluid especially considering the time period. You must have disliked every previous TR because of the controls. To each his own.

carlitoo
11th Apr 2006, 14:24
Dear Mr Gard,

Thanks for TRL, it was fantastic and a damn good effort at re-capturing the essence of Tomb Raider.

p.s, I know this question won't be used, but I also know you or someone from CD will read it.

I am stunned to see people actually think the controls are good? STUNNED! The old games, you really felt you could take Lara where you wanted to go and also you could see where she was going. With this and AOD, that feeling has completely gone. Where is the skill in jumping these days? Nowhere. Press jump and she will always hit the ledge. If she misses it just press triangle and all is rosy. Fall off a ledge and she auto grabs! Awful awful awful. Just not TR.

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 15:04
I am stunned to see people actually think the controls are good? STUNNED! The old games, you really felt you could take Lara where you wanted to go and also you could see where she was going. With this and AOD, that feeling has completely gone. Where is the skill in jumping these days? Nowhere. Press jump and she will always hit the ledge. If she misses it just press triangle and all is rosy. Fall off a ledge and she auto grabs! Awful awful awful. Just not TR.

I thought that one would get a couple of reactions, firstly to Rumm Taedor, I did not say it was a terrible idea for you to request the old control system, I merely added my own input. Its a free world and your request is just as valid as mine. But I don't agree with it, because like Carlitoo I am stunned that anyone can not appreciate the vast improvement from the clunky awkward controls from previous games.

Don't get me wrong, I loved those games, all of them, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Now in Legend, Lara (who was always supposed to be of atheletic persuasion) can turn around without having to roll over first or walk in very slow pigeon steps. She doesn't smash into walls stopping you dead in your tracks anymore. Yes, she may not have the failsafe, walk and you won't fall off' function anymore, but that wasn't exactly realistic. She can now do gymnastic manouveres that are not tied to a grid and pull crates around realistically without needing to pull them one metre to the left, then one metre to the right just to go forward. You don't need to make sure you walk to the edge of a cliff, then jump back once, then jump forward anymore. The jumping is intuitive and instant and accurate. If its not accurate for you theres not much I can say really without seeing how good you are at the game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel looking backwards to a dated 90's control system that has always been universally thought of as the bane of the series (IGN's words, not mine) is not the way to move this series forward into the 21st century.

I replied to you both because neither of you resorted to insults, if we can carry on that way I'm quite happy to keep this debate going as I really am intrigued as to why you guys think this control system is worse than the previous one.

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 15:06
With this and AOD, that feeling has completely gone. .

and sorry, meant to say - AOD had the identical grid based control system to the playstation TR's. It felt slightly more fluid thanks to framerate and graphical improvements with next generation hardware.

RuumTaedor
11th Apr 2006, 15:24
I was not trying to prevent you from expressing you opinion. Perhaps I overreacted or took it too personally. I'm quite sure we can co-exist.

As I mentioned in my own personal review of Legend, I don't think the new controls are BAD, just DIFFERENT. I think the relatively consistant controls in each Tomb Raider are an integral part of Tomb Raider. Maybe it's a case of "old habits die hard".

The English language is complex, and communication is an art. It's funny (and I'm snickering right now), but I actually thought carlitoo did NOT like the new controls, although the text was not perfectly clear. I suspect this will come back to haunt one of us. :p

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 15:30
I think humans inherently don't like change, its a facet of all of us. This is not that big a change really because most 3d action adventure games these days have the TRL control system and have had it for years (the one thats completely free of any grid based restrictions and consequently far more realistic and lifelike). Thats another reason I'm so surprised that anyone isn't pleased with the new controls, they're not really new, they're just PS2.

RuumTaedor
11th Apr 2006, 15:49
Ah ha! I think I spotted something I need to clarify.

The grid system is old and "blocky". I admire the level designers for creating the enviromnents they did with such restrictions. Although some of the tree branches looked like plywood scaffolding! :rolleyes: In any case, Legend is off the grid system. I think that's great, and Legend looks wonderful.

Here is specifically what I don't like. I am referring to the Windows demo. If I rotate the camera 90 degrees so I am facing Lara's right shoulder, how do I move Lara forward? I think it is the right arrow key. The up arrow key should always move Lara forward, in my opinion, as it has worked in the past. The movement keys are relative to the camera, not Lara. I'll have to get back on the demo and check that again, and check all the options, but this is the change in controls I was referring to. Maybe I overlooked an option that would suit me.

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 16:04
It's funny (and I'm snickering right now), but I actually thought carlitoo did NOT like the new controls, although the text was not perfectly clear. I suspect this will come back to haunt one of us. :p

No you were right, he doesn't like the new controls. I meant in my post that I am 'stunned' like he is, but for the opposite reason.

Straw Dog
11th Apr 2006, 16:08
The up arrow key should always move Lara forward, in my opinion, as it has worked in the past. The movement keys are relative to the camera, not Lara.

Isn't that where the free-look camera comes in though? whenever I play a pc third person game I am constantly gliding the camera around the game with my mouse so the character will always be moving forward when I press the W button. It feels very natural to me. The same principle applies with a joypad where you will move the camera with one stick and the character with the other.

Here, I feel is another improvement over the old TR's. The ability to control the camera yourself (without having to stop and activate the characters viewpoint) means you can clearly view the environment in whichever direction you wish at all times.

RuumTaedor
11th Apr 2006, 17:24
I think we've finally gotten down to the real issues. These next comments probably fall under the category "nitpicking", but here goes.

I can see that it is convenient to be able to control the view at all times. On the other hand, I found it convenient to hold down the insert key and use the keypad to change my view. The view returned to behind Lara when the insert key was released, and the camera followed Lara's movements. I like having Lara's movements control the camera instead of the camera view controlling Lara's movements. With either method, if you were running across a plank and wanted to look at something on the side, for example, you would have to stop and look to avoid running off the plank.

For me, running and guiding the camera at the same time is tricky. However, this is how Legend works, and I'll get used to it. You've helped me clarify what it is I don't like about the controls.

Call me paranoid, but the control change means to me that Tomb Raider is slowly becoming less Tomb Raider and more...something else. What's next, Lara will be kick-boxing an opponent in an arena? OK, so I'm exaggerating. I haven't lost faith and I am eagerly waiting to purchase my copy of Legend.

It's been fun taking over this thread for a bit. There is nothing more I have to add (famous last words). I'm going to play 4x4 Evolution 2 (I know the camera will follow me in that game hehe).

MissLara2U
11th Apr 2006, 18:26
Interview was awesome. I've a ton of material, which should be online within a couple of days. Thanks to all those who put in the time to pose questions. You will be very rewarded when you read the finished product.

Xdrive
11th Apr 2006, 18:28
Hello,

I just wanted to echo a couple of the comments made previously. First off all, congradulations on Legend. It's a great game will likely be very, very well received by the public.

Now for the questions.

Firstly, why did Legend's designers decide to make the game more linear and less expansive than Core's offerings? A staple of the previous games was the adventure aspect of the levels, where the player could explore an expansive world with wide open environments and usually with multiple paths one could take to complete a level. Legend seens to have delivered a more linear game with very little adventuring and a lot more focus and action when it comes to level design. Is this what the designers were going for?

And secondly, are there any plans yet for a follow-up game to Legend?

Thank you for your time.

:)

EDIT: I guess I got in a little late. :p

susan
11th Apr 2006, 18:55
What's your most favourite game (other than TR or Galleon ;) ) and why?
What's your favourite TR1 and Legend level, and why do you like them?
What's do you predict is the next big thing in the games industry as a whole, (beyond ever increasing graphical capability with each new generation console/increase in PC power)?
Can Tomb Raider ever be a multi-player game and if so how would it work?
Which games developers (other than Eidos) do you admire and why?
For TR8 will Crystal maintain the same development team with the same responsibilities, or will things change?
What exactly is your role on the project team? What do you do and what are your responsible for?

Just a few I'd love to know, hope it all goes well ML2U. :thumbsup: :)

Edit - oops, that was a waste of time! Ditto Xdrive. :D

munchkin
11th Apr 2006, 19:41
Interview was awesome. I've a ton of material, which should be online within a couple of days. Thanks to all those who put in the time to pose questions. You will be very rewarded when you read the finished product.

i look forward to reading it :)

beccaxx

carlitoo
11th Apr 2006, 22:42
Call me paranoid, but the control change means to me that Tomb Raider is slowly becoming less Tomb Raider and more...something else. What's next, Lara will be kick-boxing an opponent in an arena? OK, so I'm exaggerating. I haven't lost faith and I am eagerly waiting to purchase my copy of Legend.

Agree with that. Funny you should say that as there is a fair bit of kick boxing going on in the combat scenes!

Been playing the game. it's ok as games go but the controls are just NOT Tomb Raider. They're something else, something fine for a different game but not something i expect from a game that was all about precise jumping, and a feeling of total control of the character. In this new game, you can't for example walk up to the edge of a ledge and look over it. The camera is so close to Lara you can't see through her head! the level with the 3 balls and the lights for example, i fell off the edge 2 times because i couldn't see over the edge and i needed to drop off it. Very frustrating. The amount of times i have tried to do those side jumps but ended up jumping backward is not even funny. Naturally, you want to jump left, you press left, but NO(!) the camera has moved and left now means back! Swimming is much worse than before, i can barely do it.

Overall, the controls are better than i thought, but just not TR. Better than AOD, but worse than TR1234. You're right, sometimes people don't like change but often it is for a good reason. This game didn't become such a phenomenon for no reason! If i'd wanted controls similar to all the other games, i would have bought those and i didn't!

Trinity34
11th Apr 2006, 22:53

It takes a long time to transcribe, doesn't it? Thanks ML2U. :)

Can we hear the unedited version? :D

Faye
12th Apr 2006, 12:30
A few of you asked a question we already know the answer to! What a waste of a question! :rolleyes:

So I shall say it again...no, of course Legend doesn't fit in with AOD. In case you haven't noticed, Legend doesn't fit in with ANY of the Core Design games. The biggest difference being that Lara's parents were alive in the Core Design games and dead (orphan since she was eighteen) in Legend.

Not really something you can blend in now is it?

And the answer? Well, Crystal Dynamics have repeated this over and over and over again...but it looks like I'll have to say it again...this is a seperate storyline to the one that Core Design had. A different version of Lara's life. She's still the same Lara, just a slightly different history to her character. Which obviously means her personality is slightly different (though only slightly...not too much...she's still our Lara :D), but that was an effect that Crystal Dynamics were hoping to achieve, as they didn't like the way that Core Design Lara had become, which is fair enough for them.

If you still can't understand, think of it like the films. The films are different storyline, yes? All that about her father? We all understood that. And this is a similar thing that has happened here. It's a new, seperate storyline.

Goodness me...seems like some of you never listen...:p

Mangar The Dark
12th Apr 2006, 12:47
Thanks for that condescending post, Fave. :rolleyes:

Faye
12th Apr 2006, 13:15
I apologise, I did not mean to be condescending. The tone of it was meant to be in good humour, hence the :p at the end. :) I was joking, because the question has been asked so many times now. I have had to explain this many times! :D But I suppose I shall still have to explain it many more. Oh well, if I really didn't want to I wouldn't bother. But I like making sure everyone is knowledgable about Tomb Raider! :D We should all help each other with such information.

Rogue5
12th Apr 2006, 13:53
The biggest difference being that Lara's parents were alive in the Core Design games and dead (orphan since she was eighteen) in Legend.

I don't want to be pedantic but Lara's parents were dead during the timeline in all the games, the only major difference with the Core games and Legend is the name of her father from Henshingly to Richard (the same as the movies) :p

Acceber
13th Apr 2006, 09:44
Oh, I always think of my best question too late. :D

I wish I had thought in time to remind Toby Gard of a pre-release video interview, where he was surrounded by TR Legend cardboard standees, and to ask if he had any spare which he would be interested in sharing. :D

D'oh! :rolleyes:

dhama
13th Apr 2006, 10:31
I don't want to be pedantic but Lara's parents were dead during the timeline in all the games, the only major difference with the Core games and Legend is the name of her father from Henshingly to Richard (the same as the movies) :p

I so hate being pedantic myself, but isn't Lara fictional? :D :p

Rogue5
13th Apr 2006, 10:34
Touche!!! :D :D

Faye
13th Apr 2006, 13:57
Rogue5, I'm afraid her parents were very much alive in the Core Design games. Their death is never mentioned anywhere, and they also attend her memorial.

Who told you they were dead? :confused:

Rogue5
13th Apr 2006, 14:24
I'm sure I picked that up from her bio on the original game when I read it ten years ago, which I'll look at again when I get home this evening, however if I am wrong (I may be getting things mixed up because of the movie) I humbly apologise! :)

Faye
13th Apr 2006, 14:34
Nope, it was definitely not there in the Tomb Raider I manual. In fact, that manual is one of the things that helps show the differences in the storylines. She had a plane crash in that too, but it was when she was twenty-one (not nine like in the Crystal Dynamics game) and it says that the way this caused her to live her life (living for the moment etc. upset her parents and caused them to disown her, cutting off all contact (although, of course, when they heard that she was missing, presumed dead, they attended the memorial...well you would wouldn't you lol). So they were definitely not on that plane like a lot of people seem to think they were. Because they wouldn't have been alive to get upset with her! (I actually blame the comics a little for this bit. In the comics storyline, they were on a plane with Lara and it crashed and she was only survivor...very much like the Core Design games storyline, except that in those her parents weren't on the plane!). You aren't the first to make that mistake though! :D So don't worry.

I blame the films. I love them and everything, but I'm sure that the whole her father being dead and the entire plot of the first film revolving around it drove this into people's brains, lol!

MercuryRapids
13th Apr 2006, 14:37
From the original game PS booklet:

INTRODUCTION
Lara Croft, daughter of Lord Henshingly Croft, was raised to be an aristocrat from birth. After attending finishing school at the age of 21, Lara's marriage into wealth had seemed assured, but on her way home from a skiing trip her chartered plane had crashed deep in the heart of the Himalayas. The only survivor, Lara learned how to depend on her wits to stay alive in hostile conditions a world away from her sheltered upbringing. 2 weeks later when she walked into the village of Tokakeriby her experiences had had a profound effect on her. Unable to stand the claustrophobic suffocating atmosphere of upper-class British society, she realised that she was only truly alive when she was travelling alone. Over the 8 following years she acquired an intimate knowledge of ancient civilisations across the globe. Her family soon disowned their prodigal daughter, and she turned to writing to fund her trips. Famed for discovering several ancient sites of profound archaeological interest she made a name for herself by publishing travel books and detailed journals of her exploits.

Rogue5
13th Apr 2006, 14:42
:o

Thankyou Mercury! and apologies Faye! Me bad!!

MercuryRapids
13th Apr 2006, 14:44
:o

Thankyou Mercury!

I just happened to have the Playstation original right next to me... :)

Still the best of the series, in my opinion... :thumbsup:

Faye
13th Apr 2006, 15:04
No apology neccessary, Rogue5. :) And thank you MercuryRapids, for posting the information for us. :)

One thing that I wonder is, what happened after Core Design Lara returned home from Africa? Her parents attended the memorial service (some have said "how do we know it's them?" but this is confirmed in the original storyboard for that FMV sequence...unlockable content in Tomb Raider: Chronicles if you get enough secrets! :D The caption says something like "Lara's parents stand to the right"), surely they must have felt regret?

Although this is touched upon in the official novel The Lost Cult (set in December 2003). Lara's sitting at home thinking about her parents, and she's thinking about how her parents attitude and character clashes with her own, and for this reason she can't speak to them. So I guess they never did make up. :(

By the way, bit of useless info here: someone managed to get the ingame model of Lara's mother, and she has blue eyes and brown hair :D (there was an ingame model for the videos displayed in the title screen, but you don't get a good look at her face in this videos). Also, it looks like Natla's model was used to make her, just retextured and had given shoulder length hair. I haven't yet seen Lara's father properly though. But from the glimpse of him in the video, he has brown eyes and black hair. Not 100% sure though, as it was a quick glimpse, from an awkward angle.

Add_x101
13th Apr 2006, 15:44
Toby Gard:
I take my hat of to you and the team behind TR Legends.

My Question to you:

Q I think your going to need to make the game harder and I don’t mean in terms of number of enemys or lesser energy, I’m talking about the Core reason why we brought the game. The tombs/temples/islands where only are dreams take us. So what are your plans for future, that’s going to give me a sense of achievement???…

PS: Also the music score needs improving

:thumbsup: :eek:

RebeL_fARmeR
13th Apr 2006, 15:56
My question to Mr. Gard:

Can I marry your daughter Lara? :D

Treeble
13th Apr 2006, 20:31
Ahem, sorry to spoil your fun, but the interview has happened two days ago:

So unfortunately unless someone asked what you did, I fear you won't get an answer.