PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Taedor's Legend Demo Review * Plus Bonus Rant *

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 03:39
Edit: I felt like resurrecting my old thread...

This rant is copywrite Taedor's Rant. No warranty is given nor implied. Read at your own risk.

Hey fellow Tomb Raiders. I finally have something to contribute worthy of it's own thread, so I will join the plethora of other threads with my very own.

The Tomb Raider Legend Demo...in a word: bittersweet.

Here's the run-down. I installed the demo, noting the pretty pictures during the installation process. Once installed, I ran the setup program to check the video settings for myself before starting the game. Then I started the game. The now familiar intro movie played through, and gave way to the main menu, in all it's glory. Yes, even the main menu was looking awesome as I had hoped, complete with Tomb Raider music, lush background picture, and an animated Lara. Looking great so far, CD. I bypassed the Manor option ;) and went straight for "New Game". Soon, I was watching the also familiar Bolivia intro, and my pulse rose with anticipation. Finally, after a brief eternity, there she was, Lara Croft, large as life and twice as beautiful, just waiting for me, nattering away in her lovely voice. CD had shown me what they were capable of, and at last it was my turn. I grabbed the keyboard with sweaty hands, and off I ran, until I realized (remain calm, remain calm) SOMEONE'S MESSED WITH THE CONTROLS!

OK, that's the run-down, here begins the bonus rant. Someone posted a while ago (can't remember who) "since when is the down arrow turn-around-and-run?" Now that I've played the demo, I finally understand what people were talking about. Riley Cooper stated "we've updated the controls to get Lara off the grid system". Well, yes, Lara is now off the grid system, but I was looking for an updated Tomb Raider, instead I found what seemed to be (to me) Legacy of Kain with Tomb Raider textures. We all know what the controls were like in previous Tomb Raider games, such as walk and run forward and backward, sidestep, all movement keys relative to Lara, not the camera. CD has taken too many liberties, in my opinion. They didn't just "update" Tomb Raider, they rebuilt it based on their own interpretation. For example, while on one ledge, I rotated the camera way over to one side. I knew I wanted to move Lara to her left around a corner, but I guess relative to the camera, it was the up or down arrow. Didn't make sense to me, and just wasn't the way it was supposed to work.

Now it doesn't mean I'm saying the controls are BAD, just DIFFERENT from all other Tomb Raider games. I'm sure I'll get used to the controls and eventually enjoy Legend. Change is good, but some things are sacred. Other than the controls which I may rant about (oh, already did), the game is, like, totally awesome dude. It's something I will be proud to show off to friends, once I am comfortable with the controls.

I hope you enjoyed reading my rant as much as I enjoyed writing it, as I certainly feel better having gotten that off my chest.

Oh, and before I forget, I would like to take this opportunity to thank to everyone in the Tomb Raider community in the past years for tips you have posted about previous Tomb Raider games. Your tips have helped me in the past, and it was exciting to see media about Legend over the last months.

Ruum Taedor

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 03:47
Be ready, the fanatic TRL fans will stone you for insulting the controls of CD :D

The camera is more annoying than the controls (although I prefer the old controls too, much more intuitive and in control). Go to the options menu, find the camera settings and put the first 2 options on yes, that will make things a bit more tolerable, but still you have to adjust the camera yourself.

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 05:29
Now it doesn't mean I'm saying the controls are BAD, just DIFFERENT from all other Tomb Raider games.

Be ready, the fanatic TRL fans will stone you for insulting the controls of CD :D
Are you sure you are reading everything properly?

MADVDPRODUCTIONS
10th Apr 2006, 05:35
Thanks for you post!! It was great. I'm glad that you are positive and most negativity comes from those who dont tolerate opinions. Yeah the controls are different and I guess we can get use to it or either not take it. Its up to us to decide.

Take care and no I wont bash you for your comment. -Once again you wont here any negative comments from me.

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 13:30
If you re-read I think you'll find that no insult is intended, IIIII.

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 13:31
Are you sure you are reading everything properly?
Thanks for that, Goran.

Shehi
10th Apr 2006, 13:37
Great review Taedor. 100% agreed on everything you posted. But in my case, I accept them as an acceptable changes :) Maybe its different for you. Thanks for such a great rant :) and am looking forward to reading more from you!

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 13:38
Thanks for you post!! It was great. I'm glad that you are positive and most negativity comes from those who dont tolerate opinions. Yeah the controls are different and I guess we can get use to it or either not take it. Its up to us to decide.

Take care and no I wont bash you for your comment. -Once again you wont here any negative comments from me.
And I thank you for your post. I'm glad you didn't take my review as bashing Legend, because it isn't. I just felt strongly enough about the controls to start my own thread and voice my opinion.

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 15:51
Great review Taedor. 100% agreed on everything you posted. But in my case, I accept them as an acceptable changes :) Maybe its different for you. Thanks for such a great rant :) and am looking forward to reading more from you!
Thanks Shehi. I still feel the controls from the previous Tomb Raider games were an integral part of what made Tomb Raider what it is. I really would have liked an option for classic controls and new controls. Because Tomb Raider was "retro-fitted" over LoK, it probably would have meant more work to achieve the classic controls. I guess this is the price we pay for the next generation Tomb Raider graphics. Tomb Raider is starting to become less Tomb Raider and more...something else.

It's funny how we've gone from AoD (buggy, classic controls, good graphics, good music as usual, un-tomb-raider environments, unwelcomed strength upgrades and "helping hand"), to LoK I mean Legend (un-tomb-raider controls, next-gen graphics, good music as usual, tomb raider environments, possibly un-tomb-raider simplicity). Would the real Tomb Raider please stand up? That would be TR1. There's always hope for TR8!

Oops, I rambled on a little more than I thought. I am planning another thread, but I haven't had time to compose my thoughts and text. All in due time.

RuumTaedor
10th Apr 2006, 19:08
The camera is more annoying than the controls (although I prefer the old controls too, much more intuitive and in control). Go to the options menu, find the camera settings and put the first 2 options on yes, that will make things a bit more tolerable, but still you have to adjust the camera yourself.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. :thumbsup:

RuumTaedor
1st Oct 2006, 21:37
I felt like resurrecting my old thread...

Headache
1st Oct 2006, 23:58
Oh my.

Looks at 'plus bonus rant' part....

:D

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 00:43
Oh my.

Looks at 'plus bonus rant' part....
Well, I do tend to ramble on a bit, and I am criticizing Legend, but my rant isn't THAT shocking. I'm quite sure my post isn't offensive, and it is certainly not my intention to be offensive. Perhaps I am not interpreting your post correctly.

Headache
2nd Oct 2006, 00:46
Well, I do tend to ramble on a bit, and I am criticizing Legend, but my rant isn't THAT shocking. I'm quite sure my post isn't offensive, and it is certainly not my intention to be offensive. Perhaps I am not interpreting your post correctly.
Oh no, I did not intend to sound like that. I was attempting to imply that I love to hear peoples' rants. They just make me laugh for some reason...

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 00:49
Got it. :thumbsup: Glad to make you laugh. :D

Terminatorvs
2nd Oct 2006, 03:34
I wrote it once, I'll write it again. I don't understand, what's so bad with the controls. They are awesome. They are more comfortable. I don't know, maybe, mega fans of "TR" only play "TR" and nothing more - that's why they think, that the controls are crappy. Besides "TR" I've played a lot of games. I got used to both classic "TR" controls and the NG "TR" controls. I think, the newer ones are better.

Shrensh
2nd Oct 2006, 06:56
I agree with Terminatorvs, I don't understand why people have such a problem with the controls either. Yes, the controls have changed quite drastically, but the whole game engine has changed drastically. There is no way the old control system would have worked for this new game engine. As for "since when is the down arrow turn-around-and-run?", it would have irritated me no end if the down arrow had made Lara step backwards instead of turning around and running.

The only things about the controls I didn't like were that the swimming controls were a bit difficult and awkward, and that I couldn't customise the camera reset button (that actually annoyed me quite a lot).

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 14:13
I wrote it once, I'll write it again. I don't understand, what's so bad with the controls. They are awesome. They are more comfortable. I don't know, maybe, mega fans of "TR" only play "TR" and nothing more - that's why they think, that the controls are crappy. Besides "TR" I've played a lot of games. I got used to both classic "TR" controls and the NG "TR" controls. I think, the newer ones are better.
I wrote it once, I'll write it again.

Now it doesn't mean I'm saying the controls are BAD, just DIFFERENT from all other Tomb Raider games.
For some people (like me), old habits die hard. I hope that you would agree that I am not bashing Legend, I am stating my opinion, as you are stating yours. As I mentioned in my post, I DO like Legend, and am getting used to the controls.

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 14:21
As for "since when is the down arrow turn-around-and-run?", it would have irritated me no end if the down arrow had made Lara step backwards instead of turning around and running.
You must have been annoyed with the previous Tomb Raider games.

The only things about the controls I didn't like were that the swimming controls were a bit difficult and awkward, and that I couldn't customise the camera reset button (that actually annoyed me quite a lot).
I agree. Ironically, I found that swimming in Legend was actually more grid-like than classic Tomb Raider! Let me try to explain what I mean. In Legend, you dive to the level you want, do whatever, then rise up to the surface. With the classic controls, you could rise straight up, or approach the surface at a gradual angle, Lara swam in the direction you pointed her. Worked for me.

Shrensh
2nd Oct 2006, 17:35
You must have been annoyed with the previous Tomb Raider games.
No, actually, I wasn't. Pressing the back key and having Lara turning around and running toward the camera wouldn't have made sense with the old keyboard controls, and her stepping back was necessary because of the amount of jumps it was necessary to line up. But with the new mouse controls it makes more sense for her to turn around and run, and the stepping backwards isn't needed any more because you don't need to line jumps up precisely anymore.

I just wish the camera reset button had been customisable so I could instantly get the camera back behind Lara after I made her turn around. Having to reach across the keyboard to press J or whatever the key was just irritated me.

StarChampagne
2nd Oct 2006, 17:58
I agree. Ironically, I found that swimming in Legend was actually more grid-like than classic Tomb Raider! Let me try to explain what I mean. In Legend, you dive to the level you want, do whatever, then rise up to the surface. With the classic controls, you could rise straight up, or approach the surface at a gradual angle, Lara swam in the direction you pointed her. Worked for me.

Hehe, true! The swimming controls were a little clunky, and that makes sense - they did seem very 'grid-ish' when you think about it :D I personally hope they're tweaked in the next game... I preferred the old way. Hmm, and gread thread Ruum :)

Shrensh
2nd Oct 2006, 21:06
I hated the swimming controls when I played the game for the first time. I definitely hope they're smoothed out for the next game. Especially if the next game is a TR1 remake with all the complicated swimming bits that were in that game.

Headache
2nd Oct 2006, 22:05
I hated the swimming controls when I played the game for the first time. I definitely hope they're smoothed out for the next game. Especially if the next game is a TR1 remake with all the complicated swimming bits that were in that game.
Meh?! Am I the only one who had no problems with the swimming controls..?
*feels indifferent*

Shrensh
2nd Oct 2006, 22:48
Actually, the second time I did the swimming bit it was alright and I could do it fairly easily. The swimming bits were fairly simple anyway. But at first I just couldn't seem to get my head around having one set of keys for forward, left and right, and another for up and down. I kept trying to do it the old way, lol. I'm a bit unco-ordinated like that :D

Headache
2nd Oct 2006, 22:53
I'm a bit unco-ordinated like that :D
Now I feel more comfortable... :rasp:

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 23:01
Hehe, true! The swimming controls were a little clunky, and that makes sense - they did seem very 'grid-ish' when you think about it :D I personally hope they're tweaked in the next game... I preferred the old way. Hmm, and gread thread Ruum :)
Thanks, Star! Haven't talked with you for a while. Hehe you look goofy jumping up and down in the Best Eidos Game Series thread. :rolleyes:

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 23:07
Actually, the second time I did the swimming bit it was alright and I could do it fairly easily. The swimming bits were fairly simple anyway. But at first I just couldn't seem to get my head around having one set of keys for forward, left and right, and another for up and down. I kept trying to do it the old way, lol. I'm a bit unco-ordinated like that :D
The first couple times I tried, I managed to dive, but then I forgot about the "swim up" key, and pointed the camera up, pressed forward, yelled "swim up swim up", by then it was too late.

RuumTaedor
2nd Oct 2006, 23:12
*feels indifferent*
I'm afraid you're surrounded by klutzs. :p

Headache
2nd Oct 2006, 23:18
I'm afraid you're surrounded by klutzs. :p
Naw. More like good, klutzy company ;)

RuumTaedor
3rd Oct 2006, 03:12
Aww, that's nice. You wouldn't be offended if I gave you a little kiss on the check, would you? I just need to take a few steps over there to Virginia...step step step run run run *thwunk* *flip* "AHHHHHHH" *splat* "ouuuuuch" *hobble* *hobble* (never mind, I've got a...headache). :o

Terminatorvs
3rd Oct 2006, 20:15

I had absolutely no problems with swimming.

Headache
3rd Oct 2006, 21:01
Aww, that's nice. You wouldn't be offended if I gave you a little kiss on the check, would you? I just need to take a few steps over there to Virginia...step step step run run run *thwunk* *flip* "AHHHHHHH" *splat* "ouuuuuch" *hobble* *hobble* (never mind, I've got a...headache). :o
:lol: Having a little trouble there, Mr.Taedor...?

I had absolutely no problems with swimming.
Very good. I had more issues in previous games, really :whistle:

aussie500
4th Oct 2006, 02:10
No l never had a problem swimming either, although it was different from the old games it was still easy enough, would be nice if Lara could hold her breath as long as she used to though

Terminatorvs
6th Oct 2006, 05:22
No l never had a problem swimming either, although it was different from the old games it was still easy enough, would be nice if Lara could hold her breath as long as she used to though

You're right, In previous "TR" games she could hold her breath for exactly one minute. In legend it's 26 seconds. Never paid much attention to that until reading your thread.

StarChampagne
6th Oct 2006, 21:13
Thanks, Star! Haven't talked with you for a while. Hehe you look goofy jumping up and down in the Best Eidos Game Series thread. :rolleyes:

Why thank you, Ruum :D I'm another of those darned klutzes. No wonder I looked goofy, I was probably trying (and failing) to keep my balance :)

RuumTaedor
7th Oct 2006, 19:11
Why thank you, Ruum :D I'm another of those darned klutzes. No wonder I looked goofy, I was probably trying (and failing) to keep my balance :)
At least us klutzes keep good company. ;)