PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 8 Suggestion Thread

Takashii
9th Apr 2006, 18:48
Yep.. Some people might think it's a little early but I don't.. People are constantly complaining about 'Legend' so tell people what you want in the next Tomb Raider game. The last time a thread like this was made for Legend it was way to late to make a real change so please suggestions ? :)

Resident Evil X
9th Apr 2006, 18:57
Yeah, i want the mansion to have all those training Exercises..alot of freedom, improved graphics ( why not :D ). over 30 Hours of gameplay, Stealth gameplay also/backstab etc. just a bit more realistic. and to be able to die in one hit/fall..would be so much more realistic and..exciting. LOTS and LOTS of customes..awsome locations that are HUGE to explore..REDUCE loading times..infact make loading times like grand theft auto..only in the beginning of the game and to do it once only..or so :D :thumbsup: . LOTS of guns..and ofcourse..ONLINE CO OP play..::drool::. deathmatch etc would be nice..but might kill the sense of the game..but ONLINE CO OP would be SO AWSOME!. use lara croft and her lil buddies and so. :thumbsup:

wgell
9th Apr 2006, 19:04
No more bosses!
No more radio gabble giving the game away and spoiling the atmosphere.
No interactive cutscenes
Bigger environments
Longer levels.
Longer game!
Real puzzles with puzzle items to search for in really nasty places.
A proper inventory to keep those items in. BRING BACK THE OLD ROTATING INVENTORY IT WAS BRILLIANT!
No signposting of interactive items. (shiney things)
Less pole swinging and other daft acrobatics. Lara should interact with her environments naturally and more realistically.
Less shooting.
Enemies spread out throughout levels rather than grouped in certain areas creating action sequences.
More scary stuff. (I remember getting real frights in the old games) Things jumping out at you when you least expect it etc.
A sense of the surreal that was evident in TR1 and 2.
Basically every aspect of the gameplay that was in TR1 and 2 and has been left out of TR:L.

Oh and if you must Lara driving vehicles get a decent engine cos the bike rides in TR:L were so bad they were a joke.

And above all bring back a sense that the game was about fantastical exploration. Not Lara Croft's knickers.

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 19:05
Many suggestions here :thumbsup:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Straw Dog
9th Apr 2006, 19:14
God,... 'bring back this, remake that'. This place is starting to sound like an old persons scratched record. Personally I would encourage CD to keep trying to move forward with the series and not take any of the geriatric steps back that are being suggested on this forum right now. Personally, I don't want to play the old tomb raiders again. I've done them, I want new tomb raiding experiences.

I'd say to Crystal Dynamics a HUGE well done. Legend was absolutely brilliant. Keep up the good work and don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Through my own experience, I understand the enormous workload involved in making a game on todays hardware and if some peoples lust for a 50 hour game are to be met, it WILL be at the expense of quality. Thats the bare truth of the world we live in now, we're not developing for the simple 32 bit playstation anymore when textures for entire rooms can be created in half an hour. Times change, people change and games change. Going back is not the way to go forward.

Verios
9th Apr 2006, 19:16
God,... 'bring back this, remake that'. This place is starting to sound like an old persons scratched record. Personally I would encourage CD to keep trying to move forward with the series and not take any of the geriatric steps back that are being suggested on this forum right now. Personally, I don't want to play the old tomb raiders again. I've done them, I want new tomb raiding experiences.

I'd say to Crystal Dynamics a HUGE well done. Legend was absolutely brilliant. Keep up the good work and don't sacrifice quality for quantity. Through my own experience, I understand the enormous workload involved in making a game on todays hardware and if some peoples lust for a 50 hour game are to be met, it WILL be at the expense of quality. Thats the bare truth of the world we live in now, we're not developing for the simple 32 bit playstation anymore when textures for entire rooms can be created in half an hour. Times change, people change and games change. Going back is not the way to go forward.

Totally agree...:thumbsup:

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 19:17
I am starting to think Straw Dog is working for CD :D

Straw Dog
9th Apr 2006, 19:21
I am starting to think Straw Dog is working for CD :D

Yes I thought you probably would. Sorry, but I don't. I could say I'm starting to think you work for Core though? ;)

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 19:23
You suggest people sound like a broken record but did you ever read your own posts?

Why bother if you believe TRL is the best TR ever, surely you don't care about others opinions if we are wrong ;)

wgell
9th Apr 2006, 20:30

And to keep going forward blindly making mistakes is commercial suicide. You must ask yourself why TR was so successful in the first place? There are many answers to that question. One is that the game appealled to a very wide variety of players. In my dealings with TR over the years I've corresponded with people all over the world from 8 to 80 years of age who all loved the game for it's exploration and puzzle solving. Not for the sight of Lara Croft in her suspenders shooting bad guys. Or for swinging about like a monkey or listening to banal vocal spoilers from some idiot on the other end of a radio. Or for paying for a game and getting 8 levels and 4 stupid bosses!!!!

Please understand that nobody is asking for the old games to be simply cloned. There was lots wrong with the old games but the limits of technology made those flaws forgiveable at the time. What we want is to take what was in the old games and make it better. To correct those flaws which were for the most part the blocky architecture and iffy graphics. Not destroy it and turn what was a great game into a shoddy Prince of Persia rip off. Is that really to much to ask?

A good film remake analogy would be King Kong. The original was a classic. But it took someone with a true love and understanding of what made the original a classic to make a successful remake. Peter Jackson. Game wasn't half bad either!

Tomb Raider needs a Peter Jackson to rescue it now. Or it's going to fail.

^^_aLeX_^^
9th Apr 2006, 21:32
i think it's brilliant.Much Better From Other tr Games:o ....

RedIvy
9th Apr 2006, 22:18
Hey all, how is it goin'?

I Have seen the trailers of TR Legend and and the games certainly has taken a big leap in terms of its graphics, Lara's new image and moves. I think the action and atmosphere in this game will be fast, that's judging by the trailer. And yes we are expecting better and better graphics in our games now and also more realism. So this raises the question of quality and quantity. I think i would prefer quality to be honest as i usally like to spend some time exploring the graphic details of a stage before quickly moving on to the next stage, and i did this a lot in the Lagecy of Kain Defiance, which i think is awesome as every stage in the games was as stunning as the last.
And i cant wait to play the new TR game. I really enjoyed the TR Angel of Darkness, however i wished they had continued that story. But anyways still looking forward to the new game.:)

tr1xp
9th Apr 2006, 22:34
Make it like Legend except:

Remove all the auto grabbing and popup tips and helpers.

Add puzzles that are a challenge, with multiple parts like TR1 had. Several puzzles to obtain the several items you would need for the main puzzle.

Make it a respectable length. At least 3 times as long as TR Legend. That means 15+ levels that require 1 hour and 30 minutes+ actual game time for EACH one.

Lose the interactive, cinematic garbage and cheesy vehicle on a rail levels completely. I couldn't care less if there were any vehicles in a Tomb Raider game. They've never been done well anyway and are just a nuisance.

And, oh yes, give it to us free to make up for straight up robbing us on TR-AOD, and for only giving us 1/3 of a game in TRL and Chronicles but charging us full price for all 3.

moose562
10th Apr 2006, 00:27
yo! just wanted to say enjoying legend (only just started it really) BUT I CANNOT STAND ZIP AND ALLISTAR

ARGH!!!! for me, tomb raider was all about lara - she lived alone, she works alone. her level of seclusion was what attracted me to her character, and this also worked in the games too

i was so pleased that CD got rid of lisping lara! she drove me mad

any chances of lara having the soul reaver in the next game? haha

movieman
10th Apr 2006, 01:47
Lose the boss fights, or at least restrict it to one boss fight at the end. There's one reason why I'm not eager to start playing the game again looking for more secrets having now completed it: because I'll have to face all those damn bosses again. Otherwise I was actually pretty happy with the game overall, except that the story was just starting to get interesting when it came to an end: hopefully it will continue in the sequel.

But after the tenth time through the King Arthur boss fight -- which I got to with half health and one health pack, having been injured several times in the traps on the way -- I was about ready to microwave the DVD. Luckily I finally completed it with about 20% health left, but that made the shootouts afterwards pretty tricky.

That was a really fun level otherwise, and the silly boss just ruined it for me.

Personally, when I finally completed the game, I took about eleven hours: so making the levels 50% longer with more puzzles would be fine from my viewpoint. I just hate having to redo parts of a game more than two or three times before I can progress, and some of those damn boss fights took forever. The one at the end was second most annoying, although the fight graphics were quite impressive I lost count of how many times I had to 'kill' it before if finally stayed dead.

I liked the motorbike levels too, though they got a bit repetitive with all the guys on bikes and in cars trying to shoot me. Though I have to admit my favorite vehicle was the fork-lift, it came in handy :).

Nepal felt short compared to the other levels, probably because it was mostly climbing and jumping rather than figuring out puzzles.

Overall I'd give it an eight out of ten: most of it was fun, except when I died solely due to the camera or controls causing me to jump in the wrong direction, or where I had to fight a boss multiple times before I figured out the trick to killing them and managed to pull it off. The big problem with the King Arthur boss, aside from the fact that there were no health packs to heal with, was that the trick wasn't hard to find, but the number of key-presses required to make it work and the precise timing involved in order to get the game to accept the keypressed and do what I'm trying to do.