PDA

View Full Version : **The "I just sold my copy of TRL" Thread**

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 14:37
I just sold my copy for 10 euros, no joke.

I had bought it for 39 euros almost a week before it was in the stores because we have a store and almost 2 dozen copies arrived for sale, so I bought one for myself.

Played it and did like a lot the parts in Ghana and Nepal (especially), very awesome but it took me 12 hours to get on 97% on the first try....and I was not rushing, I was looking for all secrets, trying to explore (and there was not much to explore, you are not even allowed to go through certain areas while you obviously can, there is an invisible wall), I was playing in the most difficult setting with the voices off (turn off in options-voices), never used the binoculars etc etc etc.

The next day I also found the other secrets and finished some of the other time trials that I had no time to do the other day, unlocking everything and finito, done. I knew I would never touch the game again, what is the point in doing the same easy, short, limiting game again with a white suit? Or with cheats to make it even easier and shorter :confused:

I sold it for 10 euros because that is EXACTLY how much I believe it is worth :thumbsup:
And I also told the girl who bought it from me that it was a short and easy game, so she had the right impression of it.....unlike me who bought it thinking it was huge and challenging.

Very disappointed customer and TR fan who will now go back playing TR 1 to 4 which have quality AND quantity :cool:

Legend
9th Apr 2006, 14:42
I just sold my copy for 10 euros, no joke.

I had bought it for 39 euros almost a week before it was in the stores because we have a store and almost 2 dozen copies arrived for sale, so I bought one for myself.

Played it and did like a lot the parts in Ghana and Nepal (especially), very awesome but it took me 12 hours to get on 97% on the first try....and I was not rushing, I was looking for all secrets, trying to explore (and there was not much to explore, you are not even allowed to go through certain areas while you obviously can, there is an invisible wall), I was playing in the most difficult setting with the voices off (turn off in options-voices), never used the binoculars etc etc etc.

The next day I also found the other secrets and finished some of the other time trials that I had no time to do the other day, unlocking everything and finito, done. I knew I would never touch the game again, what is the point in doing the same easy, short, limiting game again with a white suit? Or with cheats to make it even easier and shorter :confused:

I sold it for 10 euros because that is EXACTLY how much I believe it is worth :thumbsup:
And I also told the girl who bought it from me that it was a short and easy game, so she had the right impression of it.....unlike me who bought it thinking it was huge and challenging.

Very disappointed customer and TR fan who will now go back playing TR 1 to 4 which have quality AND quantity :cool:

Obviously a lot of people didn't do their research. When investing in such an expensive game, people should do their research. I've read many many times that the game was only 6-8 hours and that was three months ago! I've been ready for this myself. So maybe people should do their research first.

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 14:43
Obviously a lot of people didn't do their research. When investing in such an expensive game, people should do their research. I've read many many times that the game was only 6-8 hours and that was three months ago! I've been ready for this myself. So maybe people should do their research first.

They said clearly if you rushed through it without caring for secrets, 9-12 hours...I played it slow finding everything and did 12 hours.

It wasn't just the length btw ;)

melviso
9th Apr 2006, 14:44
Hey!!! Thats bad..you don't know how I feel reading all this and CD started out so well.My heart goes out to them.They tried.... really they did.Do u know the work they put into this game, the publicity,animations?I could go on...if u like.. selling urs was ur own decision but I am gonna get mine and KEEP IT!!!!!!

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 14:45
Melviso, I am not saying you shouldn't buy, like I said there are parts in it that ARE awesome so you will enjoy :thumbsup:

Legend
9th Apr 2006, 14:45
They said clearly if you rushed through it without caring for secrets, 9-12 hours...I played it slow finding everything and did 12 hours.

It wasn't just the length btw ;)

Yes, I've read the other complaints. I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove. I'm not out to save the world or something. I just want people to be happy for what they have. Buy Legend and enjoy it and that will proceed to another and another game! Just be happy!:D

David 070
9th Apr 2006, 14:47
i wish u had sold it to me! i would have payed $11.00 instead of the 60 ill have to shell out. lol

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 14:48
i wish u had sold it to me! i would have payed $11.00 instead of the 60 ill have to shell out. lol

:D

The girl really really wanted it and she was cute so :p

melviso
9th Apr 2006, 14:52
Melviso, I am not saying you shouldn't buy, like I said there are parts in it that ARE awesome so you will enjoy :thumbsup:

I know, but my hopes were high when I decided to visit the forums some few hours back.I was expecting to see threads saying the game was awesome, the best game ever,stuff like that after what happened to Aod!! Hump!!!!Maybe they need to go back to the drawing board and .......:rolleyes: !!!!

storm shadow
9th Apr 2006, 14:59
I don't get it... I love this game.

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 15:25
I don't get it... I love this game.

You can, it seems there are now 2 camps when I read all over internet on different forums:

One camp thinks it is the best TR ever, the other camp thinks it is a scam. The amount of people who are in the last camp is a lot larger than the first camp, it seems but maybe that's because we post more, I don't know.

Legend
9th Apr 2006, 16:48
I think a lot of people will really enjoy this game but not proceed to register on the forums and become active in a Tomb Raider community. Do you join a forum for every single movie you enjoy? I doubt it so I think that rolls over into this. But hey, whether people like it or not, Eidos and Crystal Dynamics are going to be shovelling the money in. I suppose it's a success no matter what. Here's hoping for Tomb Raider 8 *crosses fingers*.

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 16:57
That's the one thing we agree on, crossing our fingers for TR8, I haven't given up hope on my Lara :thumbsup:

John Carter
9th Apr 2006, 17:02
You can, it seems there are now 2 camps when I read all over internet on different forums:

One camp thinks it is the best TR ever, the other camp thinks it is a scam. The amount of people who are in the last camp is a lot larger than the first camp, it seems but maybe that's because we post more, I don't know.

That's a key and interesting point. This is true in all human group interaction, those who feel most strongly about a thing, for good or ill, set the tone of discussion for the vast majority who don't feel as strongly one way or another. This is how vocal ideological minorities sieze complete power in large countries, for example. What it means in game world terms, who knows?

Legend
9th Apr 2006, 17:03
I haven't played Tomb Raider Legend myself yet, I am sure that the length is short and is a dissapointment. So now that they have created everything and have become familiar with the new engines, hopefully they will make a larger and longer Tomb Raider 8.

susan
9th Apr 2006, 17:16
That's a key and interesting point. This is true in all human group interaction, those who feel most strongly about a thing, for good or ill, set the tone of discussion for the vast majority who don't feel as strongly one way or another. This is how vocal ideological minorities sieze complete power in large countries, for example. What it means in game world terms, who knows?It means doing market research for your games development based solely on forum comments is very risky (if not practically valueless) in terms of truly understanding the market. But, alternatively, you always know which way the fanatics are thinking, lol. :D :)

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 17:23
John and Susan, that is very perceptive. It is exactly like that and I see that too, the "polarisation" that goes on in pretty much every area in life these days, from the smallest to the biggest. Neither side is right, the more moderates on both sides come closer to what is right, but still not right too.

It should not be like that, but it is :(

Verios
9th Apr 2006, 19:14
*yawn* lets get these threads out of the way quickly so we can get on to more pressing matters...when's the next tomb raider coming out lol

lllll
9th Apr 2006, 19:19
*yawn* lets get these threads out of the way quickly so we can get on to more pressing matters...when's the next tomb raider coming out lol

That was an intelligent post, thanks for putting it here, you did mankind a huge favor.

:rolleyes:

storm shadow
9th Apr 2006, 20:36

It's a fact that if something is good the people who don't need to argue don't argue! The people who don't think it's good are always in bigger numbers!

Shehi
9th Apr 2006, 20:41
That's a key and interesting point. This is true in all human group interaction, those who feel most strongly about a thing, for good or ill, set the tone of discussion for the vast majority who don't feel as strongly one way or another. This is how vocal ideological minorities sieze complete power in large countries, for example. What it means in game world terms, who knows?

John as always with his powerful literature skills *shaking hands*... Well said, John!

Denny33142
10th Apr 2006, 00:27
i think they spended too much time on the graphics and looks of the game instead of the quantity and legnth.

i was positive and 100% sure that i was going to go the first day and buy it....... but now im thinking twice after reading alll the 6-8 hours gameplay threads

moose562
10th Apr 2006, 00:30
i think this place is full of size queens personally ;)

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 00:35

I think this post unintentionally speaks volumes about TRL...

The game just barely hit store shelves, has 2 more days before it arrives in some places...and we're already done with it, and moving on. So, in short, before it is even widely available, everyone is done with it. Not much of a splash made by such a high caliber series.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
10th Apr 2006, 00:46
i think they spended too much time on the graphics and looks of the game instead of the quantity and legnth.

i was positive and 100% sure that i was going to go the first day and buy it....... but now im thinking twice after reading alll the 6-8 hours gameplay threads

Length of a game does not indicate its quality.

hierogrammate
10th Apr 2006, 01:14
I sold it for 10 euros because that is EXACTLY how much I believe it is worth

Aw, heck, I hate to be sucked into posts like these, but here I am :)

For a moment there I thought you were talking of Chronicles (a glorified and overpriced Tomb Raider Gold when it came out) or AoD.

On the other hand TRL shows both artistry and craftsmanship missing from the ones I mentioned above. The guys at CD deserve better praise than just flippantly saying that their labor is worth a mere 10 euros.

I am the biggest whiner there is, I have the cheese to prove it, and did a lot of it during Chronicles. I don't believe EIDOS will come out with a version that will satisfy everyone, ever. However, TRL is a step (quantum leap I'd say) in the right direction away from mediocrity.

I will not waste my time on wet dreams of how much better than cornbread I hope the NEXT TR will be. When it comes, I'll check it out and enjoy it, or not, depending on what's delivered (I am not as pessimistic as I was during the Core years, though). What I have here, and now, all 12 hours of it, is good to me.

Just because the negatives are the most vocal doesn't mean that, ergo, they are the largest. Where are the statistics, the numbers to back that up? There *is* a world outside this forum, you know. *shakes head* Hard not to sound miffed when reading sweeping generalizations like this and its cousin, the "it's short, ergo, it's crap" thing.

The demo lasted only minutes for me, and yet that didn't detract from the fact that what I was seeing and experiencing was a franchise rising from its ashes. It may be still smeared with soot here and there, but the feathers do shine brightly. I do hope I never become so jaded as not to be able to notice such things.

Bottomline: so you didn't like it, ok. Why not return it to the store for an exchange if you weren't satisfied with the product? That's what I always do, believe me.

Denny33142
10th Apr 2006, 01:18
not intirely but it does affect the game greatly

and ppl are talking about tombraider 8? give it a rest will ya...... start talking about tomb raider 8 in about a year from now

hierogrammate
10th Apr 2006, 01:23
Heh, then try to enjoy the game and savor the details in it instead of gobbling it all up :). Maybe you will come with a better impression afterwards.

tr1xp
10th Apr 2006, 01:26
Bottomline: so you didn't like it, ok. Why not return it to the store for an exchange if you weren't satisfied with the product? That's what I always do, believe me.

Because it's software and EVERY store I know of refuses to do anything with sowftware except exchange it for the identical same software. IE: If you bought it and it is deffective (TR AOD) or otherwise, you are just up a creek.

hierogrammate
10th Apr 2006, 01:31
Because it's software and EVERY store I know of refuses to do anything with sowftware except exchange it for the identical same software. IE: If you bought it and it is deffective (TR AOD) or otherwise, you are just up a creek.

Odd, I have done that at EB Games quite a few times myself, so I didn't make that comment out of the blue. Places like WalMart also just shrug and let you exchange it (make sure you wear the frown of a dissatisfied customer, glancing around in a mean way also helps). Maybe the stores where I live are less totalitarian with their customers :)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 02:48
Odd, I have done that at EB Games quite a few times myself, so I didn't make that comment out of the blue. Places like WalMart also just shrug and let you exchange it (make sure you wear the frown of a dissatisfied customer, glancing around in a mean way also helps). Maybe the stores where I live are less totalitarian with their customers :)

Obviously, you did not read my first post, proving you just don't care what was said :rolleyes:

TRL is not worth more than 10 bucks to buy or 4 days renting, it is like TRC and AoD combined :thumbsup:

And what's with the "ergo" word you use all the time....makes you sound like some elitist thingy who knows it all. First play the game, then have your opinion about the game....not the one who is giving his opinion about the game which is a distraction tool ;)
It is so funny that the people who only played the demo come here to whine about the people who actually have played the game and tell them how it is :thumbsup:

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 02:54

No, but other things have been mentioned a zillion times now on this and other forums like no challenge, way too easy, no exploration, annoying camera, swimming controls suck, too much shooting at braindead dolls, small locations with 2 locations being about backtracking (i.e. walking back to the beginning of the level through the exact same path), too much help etc etc etc.

TRL does not have quality nor quantity. I have said a few times now that the graphics are amazing and the game has some awesome passages like in Ghana and Nepal, but they last about 15 minutes all in all.

Length does also add to all these things too and you just can't ask that much for a game that offers this little.....just for the name Lara Croft.

knightgames
10th Apr 2006, 03:01

No, but it does indicate value...... and each persons accessment of value is different.

To me a short game of 5-6 hours is not of value to me no matter how polished it is. For $50.00 I expect TR to be longer.

Verios
10th Apr 2006, 03:30
That was an intelligent post, thanks for putting it here, you did mankind a huge favor.

:rolleyes:

From what Ive read in your other posts you're one to talk :p

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 03:39
From what Ive read in your other posts you're one to talk :p

Having an opinion about a game is legit, I paid for it.....if you can't figure that out...well....:thumbsup:

Some of you are talking like we are personally attacking you or something, we are talking about the game. But then you guys want to get personal. Why be so radical? It almost feels like you guys are following a religion called TR and noone can say something bad about it without getting stoned, or getting their image burned? ;)

Rose662
10th Apr 2006, 04:17
Yes, but putting up threads like this makes people think you're personally attacking the Tomb Raider franchise and they take that personally.

Also, posting meaningless threads like this shows no purpose really, but only to give the head people at Eidos the wrong impression of you and others. Do you honestly want that?! "Well if they're going to be like that.... no more Tomb Raider."

I mean, really, it's just a GAME!

Send letters to Crystal Dynamics instead of threads like this which won't get results. Direct letters will show you mean business and have maturity.

Having an opinion about a game is legit, I paid for it.....if you can't figure that out...well....:thumbsup:

Some of you are talking like we are personally attacking you or something, we are talking about the game. But then you guys want to get personal. Why be so radical? It almost feels like you guys are following a religion called TR and noone can say something bad about it without getting stoned, or getting their image burned? ;)

MADVDPRODUCTIONS
10th Apr 2006, 04:25
I have every single Tomb Raider games, why would I need to sell mine put it with the rest in my Tomb Raider library section of my game.

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 04:26
Rose662, So you want us to shut up basically?

Is that a mature thing to demand of you?

Eidos isn't that stupid to stop making TR games, it will always sell because of people who buy it even if it is not that good ;)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 04:27
I have every single Tomb Raider games, why would I need to sell mine put it with the rest in my Tomb Raider library section of my game.

See what I mean?

Rose662
10th Apr 2006, 04:30
Rose662, So you want us to shut up basically?

Is that a mature thing to demand of you?

Eidos isn't that stupid to stop making TR games, it will always sell because of people who buy it even if it is not that good ;)

No, contact Crystal Dynamics directly. They can know about your feelings about the game that way.

Rose662
10th Apr 2006, 04:31

I hear ya. I have all of the games except Legend. I'm never going to sell them.

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 04:32
They are reading these forums, that is a fact. In fact some are members and post here and on other forums. They themselves even posted they are monitoring the posts ;)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 04:34
I hear ya. I have all of the games except Legend. I'm never going to sell them.

Again proof of what I talk about. Even if the game is not that good, you buy and keep it, and don't talk negative about it....Eidos will never stop making TR as long as there are customers like you :)

Rose662
10th Apr 2006, 04:41
Again proof of what I talk about. Even if the game is not that good, you buy and keep it, and don't talk negative about it....Eidos will never stop making TR as long as there are customers like you :)

You see, comments like that are why people here get an impression of you.

EVERY game out there on the market has faults and bugs. You cannot expect anything to be perfect. Yes, there are negatives, but they're not talked about much because the good points outweigh the faults of the games.

I don't know why you are even here. You don't sound like a real Tomb Raider fan, but a teenage gamer who likes to complain and expecting perfection in everything. I have only seen posts from you complaining; nothing good.

Do you even like Tomb Raider??

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 05:31
76% after 31 hours. I guess if you guys repeat yourself all the time, I can too.

MADVDPRODUCTIONS
10th Apr 2006, 05:40

That is what i mean comments like that, customers like you. It's like were not individuals .. ever watch V for vendetta? lol Anyways, so Eidos will never stop Tomb Raider games, good! I hope they dont. Keep making them as long as I'm alive. I have introduce this game to alot of people and they love Tomb Raider. So from your post.. it seems that you dont like Tomb Raider at all. You want the series to die..

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 05:41
They are reading these forums, that is a fact. In fact some are members and post here and on other forums. They themselves even posted they are monitoring the posts ;)
Many developers do, which is good because overrall no matter which forum you look at, Eidos, IGN, Gamespot...or pretty much any forum that has discussions of the game, the same two problems come up in every post.

Good game, but too short & too easy.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to see how to make a sequel better. I don't see quite why some people are being too hard on the developers though, this was their first try and they made a good game. If they listen to the fans and improve on the sequel then everyone will be happy, if they fail to listen to people and keep it easy to appeal to new gamers then WWIII will begin :(

They have to be careful with the difficulty though, I haven't got around to playing TR:4 yet but this review (http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164127p1.html) shows why Legend was made easier in the first place.

The longtime TR fans here on the Eidos forums may be used to that sort of thing but it was obviously just too much for the average gamer.

MADVDPRODUCTIONS
10th Apr 2006, 06:34
I understand it went from a 3.0 score to 8.2 a more respectable game

Review of TRL (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/700/700251p2.html)

Many developers do, which is good because overrall no matter which forum you look at, Eidos, IGN, Gamespot...or pretty much any forum that has discussions of the game, the same two problems come up in every post.

Good game, but too short & too easy.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to see how to make a sequel better. I don't see quite why some people are being too hard on the developers though, this was their first try and they made a good game. If they listen to the fans and improve on the sequel then everyone will be happy, if they fail to listen to people and keep it easy to appeal to new gamers then WWIII will begin :(

They have to be careful with the difficulty though, I haven't got around to playing TR:4 yet but this review (http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164127p1.html) shows why Legend was made easier in the first place.

The longtime TR fans here on the Eidos forums may be used to that sort of thing but it was obviously just too much for the average gamer.

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 07:20
I understand it went from a 3.0 score to 8.2 a more respectable game

Review of TRL (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/700/700251p2.html)
TR4 got an 8.5 on PS1, but it was probably a different reviewer. I was just pointing out that it was made easier because some people seemed to get really stressed out with some parts of the previous games.

midroth
10th Apr 2006, 07:40
Very disappointed customer and TR fan who will now go back playing TR 1 to 4 which have quality AND quantity :cool:I understand you. TR1-TR4 was the better games.

For me it was too short and too stupid/easy. Sorry.
At the other hand, if I see here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58008) the ratings...

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 08:13
At the other hand, if I see here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58008) the ratings...
Like I said elsewhere, let's not confuse a loud few with majority.

The game is not perfect. I agree. I hope there are things they change for the next installment. But it is a very enjoyable game. I am at it for 31 hours now and I love it and do not regret my pre-order. And I have been swearing at Lara, just like in all the other Tomb Raider games. I pressed the darn walk button!!!!! ... remember? ;)

TheMask
10th Apr 2006, 08:19
Jesus, wait up people!! I haven't read everything in this thread but just enough to understand what's going on.

Are you telling me the game is so short you can complete it within 10 hours time? :eek: And that's what I've been waiting for many months? And that's what they worked on for many months? This is ridiculous, I come here to read some *early* impressions about the game and I find that you're rating it already, after having completed. It all sounds like a stupid April joke or at least I want to believe this is a bad nightmare.

Uh, again the damn money. It's like with NFS. Why make a somewhat "realistic" physics if you can make it with super eye candy graphics, liniar physics so that even a girl could control it at 200 MPH and have people buying it because more people will be able to play it. It's like pop music - for the majority. Wanna be famous - sing pop stuff. Wanna play the music you love and which is closer to your heart - do it in underground bars and have yourself never appear on TV or even radio. Same with TRL I guess. Why make it long and too complicated, puzzles and stuff right, if that pushes away the ponential customers. But let me say this. EVERYBODY knows a game called Tomb Raider. EVERYBODY knows who Lara Croft is. What does that mean? Why does this newest installment is called "Legend"? Legend means someone who's been known for years, decades. That means that we have a huge community, I mean really huge, many followers, we've been through fire and water with Lara. They have enough customers already. We'll always support them, just bring us a new quality game to play for at least a week, gosh! (without playing 10 hours a day of course). We expect more, we don't expect no arcade resemblance of TR. We await every new advanture to be more exciting than the previous. What is the point in all the graphics/dynamics/best voices if the gameplay is straightforward and hence boring. On top of that it's short. Argh :mad: I hate short games. I love long games ... Mafia, GTA San Andreas... Now I know what I moved to sim racing games - cause I'm playing the same game for 5th year in a row and still have high interest in it :thumbsup:

Bad news, where's my Core Design... :confused:

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 08:23
It may be a bit short for some people (I got 31 hours of gameplay out of it so far), but most people seem to like it very much. Check out midroth's poll. ;)

What amazes me most is that some people have wasted more time ranting on this forum than actually playing the game. :D Well, if they want to, they can. ;)

FrozenFire
10th Apr 2006, 08:28
I'm really surprised that some of you have got nothing better to do than making one thread after another that always contain the same old moans.

Okay, you didn't like the game.
You finished it in 5 hours.
You even sold it.
Great for you.

Now spare us the whining and move on like you state all the time.
If the game is really that bad, then why do you still spend ages posting in a forum that was made for fans of the series?

If I don't like a product and want to be taken seriously, I make ONE post about what I didn't like and then MOVE ON. Anything else is nothing but immature babble. Or why do you still spend so much time in a forum of a game that is CRAP in your opinion?
Nobody is interested in it.

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 08:35
Short games are disappointing, especially when you pay full price for them but I'm not really too bothered by that. I've played short games before, it's disappointing when they finish so soon but it's not that annoying. With this game it's the fact that I like Tomb Raider and it will be at least a year before a sequel is released. I was really excited about this game, yet within the space of a few days I have played through it all 3 times and am already waiting for the next game. I will play this again though, and luckily I have other TR games that I haven't played through yet.

TheMask
10th Apr 2006, 08:47
Are you calling yourself a fan FrozenFire? Registered Apr 2006. And you never moan and of course the most mature among us all. I've been here since 2000 and was playing TR since first TR came out. Yes I did rant, but why can't I, I expected a long game or at least longer and harder than it is. That unfortunately isn't so, so I'm disappointed... yes already.

GoranAgar,
I will still try it though, but I won't have much fun knowing I can complete it within a day if I want to... That's deep in mind if you understand what I mean.

See, here's why rants are good too. If you don't say anything - nothing will change. That's what FEEDBACK is for. If people moan, that's for a good reason. It means something needs changed / made. I create software. Do it for a living too. But some of it which I do in my free time I release as freeware. I expect feedback, good or bad, feedback includes mentioning bugs. How can I know if there's a bug if everybody keeps silent as if all is OK. Quite opposite, I'm disappointed when after a year of release I'm told there's a bug. I always wonder why has nobody spent a minute writing a mail to me telling about the problem... Or how can I know what features people want if nobody says anything. Or how can I know this or that is inconvinient if they don't tell me?

;)

Netslider
10th Apr 2006, 08:48
I really got disapointed with this game.
Besides being really short, it just doesn't feel like a Tomb Raider game anymore, it just feels like an imitation of Prince of Persia.

Don't get me wrong, the game is really cool, but it is just too much different from previous Tomb Raiders.

The first TR game I played was TR3 on PC when I was 10, and it took me 3 months to beat the game. I really enjoyed the puzzles, the gun fights, the traps, everything.

Then I played TR4 on the PlayStation, and although the game didn't feel as good as TR3, it was still addictive, had good puzzles, and all. It still took me more than one month to beat the game.

Chronicles came out and I really loved the change of envionments. The levels were grouped in separate episodes and because of that there was no true story in the game, but I just loved the VCI and the young Lara levels. The game took me a month to beat.

After many delays, Tomb Raider AOD finally came out on PS2. This was really buggy (I still can't forget the way I would dye instantly when running towards the dog in the first level), and the game was a big change in the series, because the improved graphics meant the end of the block based moves. Most people didn't like the game, but I think that if Core had the time and resources, they would have been able to do a great game, instead of an average and unfinished game. I liked the story and Lara still felt the same Lara, most levels were still big, some puzzles were challenging, but there was a little tendence to make the game easyer and more accessible to non TR fans, which sucks, and the enviroments, well, too much Paris, a little tomb in an exotic country wouldn't be bad. It took me 2 weeks to beat the game.

When I bought a N-Gage I also bought the first TR game, and it really felt strange playing a TR game that didn't have the moves from the games I played previously, but I really enjoyed it. The environments were huge sometimes, the puzzles were challenging, and the usual trial and error platforming was there. Took me a month to beat.

Tomb Raider Legend, well, the first thing I noticed was the voice on the other side all the time, Lara wasn't a lonely raider no more, then, when I started climbing I noticed that Lara would move exactly the same way you move in Prince of Persia, the environments were really small and straightforward, no room for finding another way of getting from point A to point B. I was used to spending an entire day trying to beat the levels from previous TR games, but I started playing TRL at 10PM, and by midnight I was already in Ghana, by the next day, I had the game beat. Considering I was used to taking more than a month to beat a TR game, this was a major let down. The problem of this game is that the environments are too small, not very open, with no alternate ways, with too easy puzzles based only on putting something heavy on a pad, and the platforming part is too much based on climbing and pole riding, besides, it's too obvious what you have too climb to get to where you want, because there will only be climbable stuff where you'll need them, so, there is no need to explore, you just need to find something climbable and as soon as you'll find, just jump to the other wall cracks and poles near it, because there is no other way. For you to get an idea, the most chalenging part of the game, was getting all the artifacts in the gim at the Croft Manor. Another thing that makes this game too easy, is that that controls are too much automatic, like, you won't need to grab anything, because Lara will do it automaticaly. There is a crawl animation, but you will only need it to avoid some traps.

I won't sell the game, but I just think TR was better of with Core Design rather than CD

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 08:51
I will still try it though, but I won't have much fun knowing I can complete it within a day if I want to... That's deep in mind if you understand what I mean.
You should never do anything you know you won't enjoy. Do yourself and us the favour.

TheMask
10th Apr 2006, 08:57
Hmm? What is it to you?

I tried the demo, I enjoyed it. So I'm going to try the full game. Consider I had a spoiler. For instance, if you were told about a great movie, and they gave you a spoiler, would you not watch the movie anyway? ;)

dhama
10th Apr 2006, 09:04
I'm usually the first to rant about Eidos products that don't live up to expectations, and as yet I haven't played the full game, only the demo.
I'm impressed with what I saw, and lack of playtime hours won't stop me getting the full game eventually, in fact I refuse to buy even a second hand copy, I want a brand new copy.

TRC was short in my opinion, but it did still enjoy it, and the fact that a level editor was included with it, increase the longevity of the game... by 5 years!! and still going strong.

No after asking Morgan Gray of CD about the possibility of a Legend editor, he said nothing planned but never say no the inclusion of such an addon would thrill me no end even though it would probably take me another five years just to make one level, that wouldn't bother me in the least.

But as for the shortage of gameplay in Legend.... Eidos please suply us with a level editor so we can continue to enjoy lLegend till the next TR comes out..... and beyond. ;)

-Dizzy-
10th Apr 2006, 09:19
Tomb Raider Chronicles has a level editor? :eek:

Is it any good? Is it simple to use? Can you actually make pretty good and large levels with it?

dhama
10th Apr 2006, 09:25
Tomb Raider Chronicles has a level editor? :eek:

Is it any good? Is it simple to use? Can you actually make pretty good and large levels with it?

Yes it is good, and you can make levels with just a little practise. There are many tutorials and somewhere in the region of 2,500 custom levels out there to download... some here http://www.trle.net/

or visit our level editor forum... it's the one labled 'Level Editor' :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
10th Apr 2006, 09:36
And I have been swearing at Lara, just like in all the other Tomb Raider games. I pressed the darn walk button!!!!! ... remember? ;)
LOL! I said that in another thread! :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
10th Apr 2006, 09:37
:thumbsup: I agree! ICO anyone? :D

FrozenFire
10th Apr 2006, 10:35
Are you calling yourself a fan FrozenFire? Registered Apr 2006. And you never moan and of course the most mature among us all. I've been here since 2000 and was playing TR since first TR came out. Yes I did rant, but why can't I, I expected a long game or at least longer and harder than it is. That unfortunately isn't so, so I'm disappointed... yes already.

First of all, I wasn't talking about you in particular.
Second, I never questioned that you should voice your opinion about the game, but is it really necessary to repeat the same criticism a hundred times over and over again in countless threads?

I didn't say anything against the thread about what people liked and disliked. That's what actually helps the developers to make things better.
But absolutely nobody's interested in a "I just sold TRL" thread!

That's no longer constructive criticism, it's spamming!

And yes, I am calling myself a fan. Tomb Raider 1 was my first compuer game.
You're not the only one who owns every part of the series. And since you don't believe I'm a fan, I'd like to add that I own both TR movies on DVD, over a dozen of TR comics, all official game guides and a nice Lara statue that stands on my desk.
I released a level made with the editor in 2004, made countless fanarts and have over 500 posts in two different German Tomb Raider forums.
So stop judging other people by their registration date in this forum.
Seeing how "friendly" this forum is, I had better not registered at all - because all I wanted was helping one guy with a technical problem and asking a question about the requirements of the game.

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 10:46
and have over 500 posts in two different German Tomb Raider forums.
Is the German Eidos forum one of them?

CatSuit&Ponytail
10th Apr 2006, 10:58
Seeing how "friendly" this forum is, I had better not registered at all - because all I wanted was helping one guy with a technical problem and asking a question about the requirements of the game.
Don't let a few people put you off. This is in fact the most friendly public forum I have seen. Except during the launch of a new TR game. ;) Then people act up all over the place. Try not to take it to heart. The real community here is usually very pleasant. :D ;)

TheMask
10th Apr 2006, 11:10
This forum is one of the best and most friendliest I've ever known. Too bad you don't know it too well. You should have started with official forums :)

Actually, I always thought that official forums are the ones with the largest community, but I've seen a lot of stuff through the years, and I can say it's not so. By far fan based, or basically, 3rd party forums may outrun the official forums.

This, however, is not the case with TR. The community here is very friednly, at least, from what I know/remeber. It's just that I'm no longer a frequenter here and I just happen to come from a not so friendly community. That has probably affected me cause it's much harder to be there than to be here. My rant was just about the game and nobody in particular. I expressed my own opinion. Please respect it ;) Whereas you, in turn, expressed opinion about all us, without even knowing us. I was wrong when I thought you were not a fan, you are wrong saying this forum is not friendly ;)

So, as you can see, we don't know each other. Please enjoy your stay, mate, so we can get to know one another ;) :)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 12:46
What amazes me most is that some people have wasted more time ranting on this forum than actually playing the game. ;)

Because the game is THAT short, already sold ;)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 12:48
Now spare us the whining and move on like you state all the time.

Maybe you should stop whining about people who have a legit complaint?

If it were for people like you, there would never be progression in anything because you never deliver critic about a faulty product :thumbsup:

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 12:48
So, how many does that make in total? I mean people that sold the game already?

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 12:53
1, most of you guys even have AoD, one of the worst games ever, so that doesn't say much ;)

GoranAgar
10th Apr 2006, 13:31
I rest my case. :)

lllll
10th Apr 2006, 14:21
I rest my case. :)

Do you still have AoD and TRC?

I rest MY case :)

Verios
10th Apr 2006, 14:27

Out of curiosity..what do you have against people collecting a game series? How is it any different than collection movies..box sets...favorite artists CD's?

taika
10th Apr 2006, 14:35

yes but only because no one would buy it. :p ONLY JOKING. I still have AOD it was quite a good game if you ignored the bugs. but thats kinda hard. Legend was good... but too short and linear. shame.

imported_True_Patriot
10th Apr 2006, 15:59
I'd never sell a TR game as much as I don't like it or how damn disapointment it was (TRL):rolleyes: I'm not saying it the wrost game in the world or anything BUT it certainly isn't the greatest.